It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado may split?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm guessing not likely, but 8 counties in Northern Colorado want to secede from the state and form their own state of Northern Colorado.

www.csmonitor.com...

This hasn't been done since 1863 when West Virginia became a state after breaking off Virginia, but it can be done. Must be approved by the Colorado Legislature as well as US Congress, which I don't see happening.

Still interesting though and it makes sense. That part of the state is definitely not being represented well in Denver these days, but I don't mind, I live in Boulder county

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Imightknow

Sorry to but in being a brit but with my worry over the devolution her in an island nation smaller than many of your states I believe there is a pattern starting to show her, one of divide and conquer, there are those in very powerful corporate position's whom though non elected are actually pulling all the strings of our governments and they are the only one's whom would benefit from weakening the united states as indeed they will here in limey land.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

The move would require not just a secession vote showing the counties’ desire to depart. It would also require votes of approval by Colorado’s Legislature and by the US Congress, according to Article 4 of the US Constitution.

“No new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress,” the Constitution says.

According to the National Constitution Center, an organization based in Philadelphia, this process “has been used successfully to create five states: Vermont (from New York, in 1791); Kentucky (from Virginia, in 1792); Tennessee (from North Carolina, in 1796); Maine (from Massachusetts, in 1820); and West Virginia (from Virginia, in 1863).”

I dunno..

Although it's probably not a bad idea, I doubt in today's climate it would ever get the support at the Fed level.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LABTECH767

Sorry to but in being a brit but with my worry over the devolution her in an island nation smaller than many of your states I believe there is a pattern starting to show her, one of divide and conquer, there are those in very powerful corporate position's whom though non elected are actually pulling all the strings of our governments and they are the only one's whom would benefit from weakening the united states as indeed they will here in limey land.

Maybe, it seems Colorado is about natural resource, what I read before on this northern counties wanted a moratorium on fraking and were out voted by the big urban areas to the south. The politicians even threatened lawsuits if the north stopped.

Where I am it's similar, East WA is heavily rural lot's of farming and get out voted on many things because of a heavily urbanized west (them folks "over the mountains".)

Since this has to pass the legislature for them to form their own state I see little hope of it happening.
edit on 8-6-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
well it has to asked.....is it the "noradian county's that are rattling?......colorado springs northward....

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I lived in CO for about 16 years, and actually worked for the dairy coop there for about 3 years. The NE corner of CO that this article is talking about this, is actually a very different place. No metropolitan areas, it is all rural and small towns, I could actually see them pulling this off, maybe up to the fed level. If you haven't been there, it is a beautiful part of the state.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
First they would have to have some good reasons for the split. Sorry but the lame excuse they give is pretty much a joke.

“Our vision and our morals are no longer represented by the state [Legislature] and the current [governor’s] administration, and we think it’s time that we do take seriously what our options are,” said Douglas Rademacher, a Weld County Commissioner. “This is just one of our options, but we will be moving forward with it.”

Colorado has pretty much been a GOP state but look what happens when a Dem wins they're not doing what we want we want to split. Maybe they should hold an election with the people from these counties and see what they think. Going by the morals part it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have something to do with what was made legal out there with the last election.
edit on 8-6-2013 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Yes I believe you are correct, they definitely do not approve of the state legalization of marijuana. Most of those counties have already voted against allowing medicinal dispensaries to operate.

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If they were able to pull it off, then there would be a flood of other counties wanting to split. For that reason I can't see the government every allowing this, but who knows?

posted on Jun, 8 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
How can anyone blame n Colorado. I wouldn't want to be in the same state as the people of South Park either.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Ya I agree. If they allow one group of counties to do it, I'm sure groups from many states will then try to do the same thing. 50 states could easily turn to 65 or so

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I see North, South, East and West of Denver/Boulder all screaming that they are not being listened to. Seems like this is not just a Northern issue. This current legislative body doesn't really seem to be listening to the people. The governor is also out of control. To me it sounds like the democrats in Colorado are not representing the majority of the people on certain important issues.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
First they would have to have some good reasons for the split. Sorry but the lame excuse they give is pretty much a joke.

“Our vision and our morals are no longer represented by the state [Legislature] and the current [governor’s] administration, and we think it’s time that we do take seriously what our options are,” said Douglas Rademacher, a Weld County Commissioner. “This is just one of our options, but we will be moving forward with it.”

Looks fairly anti-democratic to me - not willing to live with the consequences of not being able to control the Govt. when they are not the majority?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imightknow
I'm guessing not likely, but 8 counties in Northern Colorado want to secede from the state and form their own state of Northern Colorado.

www.csmonitor.com...

This hasn't been done since 1863 when West Virginia became a state after breaking off Virginia, but it can be done. Must be approved by the Colorado Legislature as well as US Congress, which I don't see happening.

Still interesting though and it makes sense. That part of the state is definitely not being represented well in Denver these days, but I don't mind, I live in Boulder county

Meh, Southern Arizona has periodically had the same discussion for 70 years. California should have split in half years ago. Couples have an argument and talk about divorce then make up and forget about it all the time.

Sorry, I don't see the big deal. Wake me up when they actually have a referendum on the topic.
edit on 9/6/2013 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well, if it ever comes to pass, invest in flag making companies since every flag will need to be upgraded to a new one with an extra star

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imightknow

www.csmonitor.com...

Pretty meaningless. Politicians use this to just get popularity. Other states have had the same type of thing. It's so silly and funny. I guess these folks didn't have ancestors that were part of the confederacy. You see, YOU CAN'T LEAVE, YOU HAVE TO STAY OR WE WILL BURN YOU DOWN LIKE GEORGIA

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

This would mean I live in Colorado but my degree is now "out of state" because I graduated from the University of Northern Colorado (Weld County).

Living 4 years in Greeley I can attest Northern Colorado is NOTHING like Denver.

God Bless,

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm in northern Colorado and have not heard of this at all. (I'm about an hour south of the Wyoming border). I'd be ok with it!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
No way I would be in favor of a Colorado split. That's all we need is more disproportional representation in the US Senate.

edit on 10-6-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

This would mean I live in Colorado but my degree is now "out of state" because I graduated from the University of Northern Colorado (Weld County).

Living 4 years in Greeley I can attest Northern Colorado is NOTHING like Denver.

God Bless,

I wouldn't worry about. In the 1860's I think they settled whether or not you can leave the union.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join