It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America losing its religion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by AQuestion

Do you accept everything Mao said?

What do you mean by this comment? I'm just curious as to why you posted this in your reply.

Dear Phoenix267,

Everyone who calls themselves a Christian isn't necessarily one and even if they are, I am not responsible for everything they say or do. If you wish to hold every Christian responsible for the saying of every Christian than Atheists must hold themselves responsible for everything people claiming to be Atheists say. Hold people accountable for what they say, don't say they must believe what others who have something in common with them say. There are stupid and bigoted people who call themselves Christians, there are also stupid and bigoted people who call themselves Atheists.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Well, that doesn't answer my question about the Mao comment. But yes, there are all kinds of crazy yahoos out there. They come in all disgusting flavors.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

If you wish to hold every Christian responsible for the saying of every Christian than Atheists must hold themselves responsible for everything people claiming to be Atheists say. Hold people accountable for what they say, don't say they must believe what others who have something in common with them say. There are stupid and bigoted people who call themselves Christians, there are also stupid and bigoted people who call themselves Atheists.

You say the above ...

... but also say the below:

What happens in a world where people believe they are all that matters and that when they die nothing matters, the ultimate in selfishness perspectives?

I think when you start generalizing you encourage generalizing as a response, and I personally believe this 'question' heavily implies that people who do not have faith in an after life must be somehow selfish beyond reason and logic.

Could say it's a little self invited.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

reply to post by GeisterFahrer

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read about it and see what it means. But what about the scientific method?

The scientific method uses our judgement of causality as well. The order in which we think is summed up in Hume's work - and so far, no one has been able to prove him incorrect. The teleological argument uses the same pattern of thought, whether you agree or disagree that a divine entity exists - the thought process to come up with your own conclusion is the same.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I was reading an entry from Rationalwiki about Hume's law. It's still confusing because I'm not the biggest fan of philosophy and at times I see philosophy being far away from rational thought.
Link

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Dear windword,

religion is intrinsically a selfish proposition that promises personal rewards to the "faithful". The God of the Bible constantly plies the reader with bribes and threats of personal gains or failures. The collective good is absent, division is king because "everyone else" is bound for hell and destruction.

LOL. That doesn't even make sense. "Religion is intrinsically a selfish proposition". Wow, what a bigoted statement. I didn't know that everyone who believes there is a God believed the same thing. I am confused, do Jews believe what Mormons believe? Do people who believe in reincarnation believe the same as Christians? I thought that Buddhists believed you were responsible and had to live with your choices until you only choose others over self.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Dear luciddrem,

Go read my responses to his statement and you might understand I am saying the same thing. Don't group all believers and you will not be grouped by all non-believers.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I was reading an entry from Rationalwiki about Hume's law. It's still confusing because I'm not the biggest fan of philosophy and at times I see philosophy being far away from rational thought.
Link

Philosophy is actually the study of thought (in not so many words). Philo means Love and Sophia means Wisdom (The love of wisdom). Philosophy attempts to answer the questions of how we know what we know.

There are several branches of Philosophy - epistemology is the study of the limits of knowledge (what we do not, or cannot know).
edit on 31-5-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear windword,

religion is intrinsically a selfish proposition that promises personal rewards to the "faithful". The God of the Bible constantly plies the reader with bribes and threats of personal gains or failures. The collective good is absent, division is king because "everyone else" is bound for hell and destruction.

LOL. That doesn't even make sense. "Religion is intrinsically a selfish proposition". Wow, what a bigoted statement. I didn't know that everyone who believes there is a God believed the same thing. I am confused, do Jews believe what Mormons believe? Do people who believe in reincarnation believe the same as Christians? I thought that Buddhists believed you were responsible and had to live with your choices until you only choose others over self.

WOW! Way to deflect!

The God of the Bible !DOES! ply the reader with promises of personal gain or threats of failure. All religion is based on personal gain.

That doesn't mean that there are not people who pray for world peace, through their religious avenues. For example, there is a sect of Buddhism, there are about 8.000 sects of Buddhism as opposed to some 80,000 plus sects of Christianity, who believe that chanting a certain phrase will raise the entire population of Earth's peoples sub subconscious mind to a higher level, therefore ushering in, in a sense, world peace.

Christianity has no such goal, of propagating world peace.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Have you ever read Revelation? There is promise of peace, but not in our lifetimes, and not on this planet.

there can never be peace, when there are those who exist who wish to destroy it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

Have you ever read Revelation? There is promise of peace, but not in our lifetimes, and not on this planet.

You Mormon?

there can never be peace, when there are those who exist who wish to destroy it.

Christians pray for the destruction of the planet. They do not pray for world peace, they have no commitment to the Earth and humanity. Everything they hope for is in the next life.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Dear windword,

Lets go back to what YOU said. You said religion, not just Christianity. I could go back and quote it if you like.

WOW! Way to deflect! The God of the Bible !DOES! ply the reader with promises of personal gain or threats of failure. All religion is based on personal gain. That doesn't mean that there are not people who pray for world peace, through their religious avenues. For example, there is a sect of Buddhism, there are about 8.000 sects of Buddhism as opposed to some 80,000 plus sects of Christianity, who believe that chanting a certain phrase will raise the entire population of Earth's peoples sub subconscious mind to a higher level, therefore ushering in, in a sense, world peace.

As for your comment above. You didn't read the new testament too well. Jesus said that if you follow him, you will be treated harshly. Did you come from one of those name it and claim it christian families? Wait, the bible says that the bible will be spread throughout the whole world and then there would be a great falling away and persecution. How does that sound like a reward? You were possibly raised by people who believe in a per-tribulation rapture. When I talk to them I always ask who all the martyrs are in Revelations. I don't need to deflect anything, I respond to your statements, I will choose how.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by GeisterFahrer

You Mormon?

Christians pray for the destruction of the planet. They do not pray for world peace, they have no commitment to the Earth and humanity. Everything they hope for is in the next life.

Could you point out which branch of Christianity prays for destruction of the earth? I am not familiar with them. I do know that most weapons of mass destruction that are currently used by advanced world armies were invented by self proclaimed atheists in the name of science.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join