It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Hopechest

I don't feel any sympathy for them.

Is that because you hold the moral high ground?

Has nothing to do with morals. It has to do with making proper decisions in your life.

If I lost my job or came down with a serious illness I would be ok because I've prepared for it. I haven't gone out and bought a new car or even a cell phone because I choose to put that money into savings and buy a healthcare plan.

If you live on the edge you may find yourself pushed over it.

+52 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

You're probably not a very nice human being.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Want to do drugs or drink too much? Your choice. I don't feel any sympathy for them.

I do. I think its our human right to at whatever time drown out our sorrows, or find new enlightenment in something that brings us to that state. Im not promoting synthetics but el-natural i think should be permitted and part of the marketplace and regulated fairly. The problem we have is offsets. People back when decided to oppress people who wanted that lifestyle, and partly it was racist such as the chinese , or african-americans using there respective drugs of choice. I think its good to monitor potentially dangerous things such as over-use but when it becomes about filling jails and work camps and law enforcement and law makers get involved and corrupt the system even more, then the problem just gets worse. I understand drug lords aren't good people, but if its all regulated properly with strict laws about how much in one time period you can get. That would solve the problem over time. To stop homelesness, i think if everyone chipped in a certain amount and have a tax system to provide housing units where they are roomates, and provided meals by volunteers and paid caretakers it would work. America should be great, not shamefully so hard hearted about this minor problems that nothing gets solved and positive solutions get blocked at the state level.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Why, because I don't feel the need to take care of mistakes people shouldn't have made in the first place?

If people get into this situation on their own and you help them out they will end up right back there because they haven't changed their way of thinking. They will continue asking for handouts and by helping them you are just preventing them from hitting the absolute rock bottom where they will be forced to either change or they will probably die.

You are extending their misery.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

If you live on the edge you may find yourself pushed over it.

If humans can use landmovers to fill in swamps and ditches and such, why cant we do that with our lifestyle choices? Take away the edges so to speak.

If people get into this situation on their own and you help them out they will end up right back there because they haven't changed their way of thinking.

when your 90 and in a home, tell me that then.
edit on 26-5-2013 by truthermantwo because: (no reason given)

+42 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Why, because I don't feel the need to take care of mistakes people shouldn't have made in the first place?

No.... Nobody is asking you to mother them, or take care of them.

But to actually say that you don't feel sympathy (ie: You don't CARE) for someone who is having a rough time and sleeping on the street, eating crap and all that goes with that lifestyle... well that is just beyond cold.

You are just nasty.

You're so amazing that you haven't ended up on the street, if only everyone were as smart and amazing as you....

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

That is not true. You have a delusional perspective. Open your eyes, maybe try to talk to some of the homeless and I promise you will have a different perception of the homeless.

I'd say many maybe even most homeless suffer from mental illness. Those with mental illness are much more likely to abuse drugs. Many good hard working people have a streak of bad luck and end up on the streets, while many bad drug addicts get lucky and live a prosperous life.

If I didn't buy a boat when I had a good paying job I may have been homeless when I couldn't find work for 2+ years.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No.... Nobody is asking you to mother them, or take care of them.

But to actually say that you don't feel sympathy (ie: You don't CARE) for someone who is having a rough time and sleeping on the street, eating crap and all that goes with that lifestyle... well that is just beyond cold.

You are just nasty.

You're so amazing that you haven't ended up on the street, if only everyone were as smart and amazing as you....

It was their choice to be there. Unless you have some reason such as the onset of a mental illness or had your body destroyed in a horrible accident and there was nothing you could do about it then no, I don't care how you live your life.

But don't come begging to me about how bad you have it because you put yourself there. I've sacrificed to make sure I never end up there and apparently they did not want to take those steps.

+25 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I was homeless because almost a fourth of my face got eaten off by a virus. I could not afford treatment. I was ostracized by my fellow employees and the people I came into contact with on a daily basis. I retreated into my apartment and did not go to work because of how I was treated. Eventually I lost the apartment. So I went on an extended urban camping experience. It lasted a year and a half. The time it took for my face to heal itself over.

People look to find easy answers to complicated issues. Sometimes the easy answer is not the correct one.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

That is not true. You have a delusional perspective. Open your eyes, maybe try to talk to some of the homeless and I promise you will have a different perception of the homeless.

I'd say many maybe even most homeless suffer from mental illness. Those with mental illness are much more likely to abuse drugs. Many good hard working people have a streak of bad luck and end up on the streets, while many bad drug addicts get lucky and live a prosperous life.

If I didn't buy a boat when I had a good paying job I may have been homeless when I couldn't find work for 2+ years.

I have, I've worked at homeless shelters and the story is all the same.

There are legitimate cases and those people I would have no problem helping but all of the addicts or lazy people I simply do not care about.

Most do not suffer from mental illness, in fact...many of them fake it and i've seen them fake it.

Its pathetic

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

I was homeless because almost a fourth of my face got eaten off by a virus. I could not afford treatment. I was ostracized by my fellow employees and the people I came into contact with on a daily basis. I retreated into my apartment and did not go to work because of how I was treated. Eventually I lost the apartment. So I went on an extended urban camping experience. It lasted a year and a half. The time it took for my face to heal itself over.

People look to find easy answers to complicated issues. Sometimes the easy answer is not the correct one.

And you I would have no problem supporting for as long as you needed it.

There is a very big difference between your case and some person who begs for money to get his next crack fix.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Guess I am not either.....and who cares about your opinion.

I believe in giving a helping hand, but only to help them get back on their feet. We are breeding generations of people WHO EXPECT THINGS. When society doesn't and shouldn't be giving.

Not everyone is entitled to a home, free healthcare or even food.

(and spare me about children, of course their parents should be responsible for their needs)
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

My God you are heartless. I have 2 children and because of a serious back injury and all the medical bills that followed, I lost EVERYTHING and was very close to being homeless. Some things you cannot prepare for unless your family has plenty of money to go around and doesn't mind sharing, which is generally not the case.

I am guessing you were born blessed and have never had to experience true hardship. Most people are a little more understanding because they work hard and pay their bills and realize they STILL are on a fine line between having and having nothing.

Homelessness CAN happen to ANYONE. Even YOU.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

If people get into this situation on their own and you help them out they will end up right back there because they haven't changed their way of thinking. They will continue asking for handouts and by helping them you are just preventing them from hitting the absolute rock bottom where they will be forced to either change or they will probably die.

You are extending their misery.

"Hooray for me and everyone else can go jump off a cliff!"

Is that me sitting in your chair, in a neighborhood soup kitchen?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantConfusion3

My God you are heartless. I have 2 children and because of a serious back injury and all the medical bills that followed, I lost EVERYTHING and was very close to being homeless. Some things you cannot prepare for unless your family has plenty of money to go around and doesn't mind sharing, which is generally not the case.

I am guessing you were born blessed and have never had to experience true hardship. Most people are a little more understanding because they work hard and pay their bills and realize they STILL are on a fine line between having and having nothing.

Homelessness CAN happen to ANYONE. Even YOU.

How about not having kids until you can afford them?

I haven't had a helping hand since I turned 18....I did not use drugs or get myself pregnant....sacrificed many a relationship because I chose to work and go to school instead of running out to the clubs on the weekend or buying new clothes.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Also there is the fact that a society such as those who live in cities, clear cutting farming land, putting prices and taxes on everything so that one must participate or be left in the cold, has a responsiblity to those they displace by there choice to advance and collect goods and services for paying customers, they need to stop being so selfish and share, otherwise their unknowingly guilty of letting people suffer and die in the cold and heat on the streets.

+3 more 
link   

Why on earth would someone choose to fake a mental illness and become homeless? I think you are very delusional. If there are indeed people who choose to be homeless because they are just THAT lazy, it is a very small percentage..

link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Guess I am not either.....and who cares about your opinion.

I believe in giving a helping hand, but only to help them get back on their feet. We are breeding generations of people WHO EXPECT THINGS. When society doesn't and shouldn't be giving.

Not everyone is entitled to a home, free healthcare or even food.

(and spare me about children, of course their parents should be responsible for their needs)
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

This is the problem. When you give that helping hand, many of them are not looking to get back on their feet whatsoever so all you are doing is enabling them to continue their destructive behavior.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Being homeless can and does happen to anyone. Their are very honest and hardworking people that get screwed by circumstances in life. Injuries, job loss, whatever. I feel sorry for those folks and hope they get every chance to turn it around.

On the opposite end are the people that would rather get drunk every weekend or do drugs vs living in the real world. Those people make their choices and made the initial choice to drink or do drugs so they should deal with whatever life they have created.

Being homeless doesn't make you any more noble then anyone else. The fact that people want to romanticize it here always makes me laugh, "being homeless means you are truly free" ..good luck with all that.

If you think that homeless people or people in general don't scheme to get money to buy alcohol or drugs then you need to open your eyes because i have watched it happen multiple times in Philadelphia. Someone will sit there with their "im hungry give me money" sign , people give them money and you can watch the guy get up, go right to a liquor store and come out with beer.

Do I think all homeless people act this way, absolutely not but the people that choose to live that way should deal with the consequences of their choices.

As for the "facing true hardship" BS line that someone put out there.

When I was younger, I was an idiot and made one bad choice after another. I thought it was important to have the latest everything and in the process of living that way I accumulated roughly $26k in credit card debt. Now I could have taken then the step that a lot of people take which is the easy please erase my stupid moves approach and file for bankruptcy but I didn't. I looked at myself and realized what an idiot I had been, that no one was responsible for my choices but me and completed a debt management program . For 6 years it sucked, barely any money for anything other than rent/bills because I was paying $600 a month to pay off the debt I accumulated. I was determined though that since I had failed multiple times it was my responsibility to fix that situation. I paid that debt off , I learned my lessons and 5 years later I look back and just shake my head in disgust about that time in my life.
edit on 26-5-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on May, 26 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I COULD afford my children! You are not the ONLY one who busted their rump going to school and working forever. I didn't go to clubs, or buy clothes, or eat out, or splurge on anything! I got HURT! All your sacrifices, all your schooling and all your saving wont save you if YOU get hurt, or get cancer. No amount of arguement will effect you at this point. Its useless. You will learn on your own, eventually, as most people these days do. I wonder with an attitude like yours, when you fall off of your horse, will anyone be there to help YOU?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join