It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The audacious plan to end hunger with 3-D printed food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Right but the food stuff can be made cheaply.
And they can be made in bulk since some of the shelf lives are in the decades for the ingredients.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Right, so you have food protein which you feed into an expensive printer and out comes food protein that looks like a burger.

Alternatively, mould the food protein into a burger yourself. No printer required. Money saved!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Some of the videos

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

You didn't read the article.

“Long distance space travel requires 15-plus years of shelf life,” says Contractor. “The way we are working on it is, all the carbs, proteins and macro and micro nutrients are in powder form. We take moisture out, and in that form it will last maybe 30 years.”

30 year shelf life. This is what makes the this exciting. Make the food in bulk and the price goes down.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am an artist at heart. Food is just another canvas that I like to use, so I can enjoy art that involves multiple senses (sight, smell, taste, sound). The idea of printing food is, on the whole, not a bad idea. But if it were to replace the traditional concepts of food.....what a pity that would be.

Culinary pursuits is among the most human of traits.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I'm with Andy on this one. Dehydrated and freeze dried foods already have a 25-30 year shelf life and all you need to do is add hot water.

The article mentions a "pizza printer" that lays down a layer of dough then a layer of sauce. I'm guessing a hopper will be needed for each topping. When they can get beef, chicken, turkey, pork or any other meat that feels like the real thing from a single powder base then they'll have somethng worthwhile.

I can go to the store and buy dehydrated soy chunks and beef bullion and make a "burger" without a printer.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
There will never be an end to hunger.

People in many countries will reproduce like rabbits if they have sufficient food.

There may be a temporary pause in hunger but soon the stupid will reproduce to such an extent that it overwhelms the capacity of the world to feed them.

Sorry for my negativity.

Negative, but probably correct.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
Right, so you have food protein which you feed into an expensive printer and out comes food protein that looks like a burger.Alternatively, mould the food protein into a burger yourself. No printer required. Money saved!
all in the name of science and technology, we push the envelope only to go back to the basics (nostalgic)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join