It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grieving now equals major depressive disorder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
And so the much lauded DSM 5 is released. And what do we have here? Well the following according to the Guardian newspaper:

"Criticisms have come from almost every corner. There are claims of expansionism, with common experiences and behaviours becoming newly medicalised. Temper tantrums become disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD); grief becomes major depressive disorder (MDD), according to Allen Frances, an American psychiatrist who chaired the task force behind the fourth edition of the manual. Other behaviours get their own labels: overeating becomes binge eating disorder; keeping too much junk, a hoarding disorder; a bit forgetful could be mild neurocognitive disorder."

www.guardian.co.uk...

There is limited evidence that anti-depressants help grieving but they do have a licence for major depressive disorder. Well done the drug companies.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr treg
And so the much lauded DSM 5 is released.

I think I'll stick with my DSM IV.
Really ... the changes that I've read about in the 5 seem ... i dunno ... over the top ...
I don't know if that's the right way to say it, but that's how it feels to me.

(Is that a disorder now too? Feeling that something is over the top?
)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

When my dad died my mom was prescribed anti-depressants. It infuriated me that her grief, which was significant but probably normal given the recent death of her partner and friend of 25 years, was considered a "disorder" by a doctor. She did not take them for long because she said they made her "stoned", and that she would rather be sad than numb.

That was 12 years ago. She is now happily remarried to a great guy who is himself a widower. The support that they provide each other, and the bond that they share in their common experience of losing a spouse, seems to have been much more effective in curing her "depression" than the drugs ever were. Before she met him she belonged to a support group for widows and widowers that was also immensely helpful and led to lasting friendships. In fact, she met her husband there. From talking with my step-siblings I learned that their father was also prescribed anti-depressants when his wife passed, but stopped taking them for the same reasons. They agreed that, though their dad was a devastated mess following his wife's death, it was unethical for the doctors to treat his grief like a disorder.

If they had stayed on the drugs I doubt they would be as happy today as they are now.
edit on 5/18/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

This is nothing more than our so called "compassionate" medical professionals whom have sold their souls to Big Pharm trying to get people to take ridiculous amounts of corporate drugs!

Did you happen to see the report that someone posted on ATS where the CDC said that 1 in 5 children have a mental disorder????

I tried the ATS search function and was unable to find the article, even though it was posted two days ago, but how in the hell can we take these criminals seriously anymore????

Just google "CDC finds 1 in 5 children have a mental disorder"!!!! Our medical system has become as corrupt as our world leaders!!!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
Did you happen to see the report that someone posted on ATS where the CDC said that 1 in 5 children have a mental disorder????

In the United States, at least 9% of school-aged children have been diagnosed with ADHD, and are taking pharmaceutical medications.

In France, the percentage of kids diagnosed and medicated for ADHD is less than 0.5%.

link

One of many reasons: In France, they dont use the DSM.

edit on 18-5-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If something seems even a tad off about a person, the doctors throw pills at it...cause that solves everything.

The sad thing is, is that these supposed 1 in 5 children that have a "medical disorder" are probably going to be on medication before they even reach 10 years old. That makes me really sad.

This reminds me of the old comic strip, Calvin and Hobbes. These days, if Calvin's parents took him to a psychiatrist, they would prescribe him a whole mess of medication for, "disobedient behavior, hallucinations, adhd...." the list would continue...Poor Calvin.
edit on 18-5-2013 by Quyll because: addition

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by dr treg

This is nothing more than our so called "compassionate" medical professionals whom have sold their souls to Big Pharm trying to get people to take ridiculous amounts of corporate drugs!

I tried the ATS search function and was unable to find the article, even though it was posted two days ago, but how in the hell can we take these criminals seriously anymore????

Just google "CDC finds 1 in 5 children have a mental disorder"!!!! Our medical system has become as corrupt as our world leaders!!!

Speaking of which, I don't know which bothers me most.......

The fact that a doctor would prescribe meds to a young kid---
Or the fact that the parents would allow it.....

Being rambunctious is part of being a kid [albeit to a certain degree]
But to say instantly that a kid has a mental disorder and put them on meds while their brains are still growing and maturing????
That's just insane

The parents need to be evaluated themselves IMO

[of course, there are varying circumstances, I know]

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

www.abovetopsecret.com... there you go! I also heard there were many who have reviewed the new book are calling it an over reach and B.S. science founded on no science at all.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Ahhhhhh! I didn't know who posted it................but I thank you!

I also thank you for caring!

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I cannot help but wonder if the insurance industry had their hand in the new diagnostic codes.

Having certain "disorders" labelled as mental health issues saves them a whole lot of money. Very few policies cover mental illness and the ones that do often offer very limited assistance.

Insurance companies decide what treatment you get, not you or your doctor(s).

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Kind of depressing how they keep saying that normal life grieving is a mental disorder. They are going to give us all mental issues if we don't watch out.

If you don't grieve they call it depersonalization disorder.
edit on 18-5-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Kind of depressing how they keep saying that normal life grieving is a mental disorder. They are going to give us all mental issues if we don't watch out.

That's their plan for now! Make as much money as they can, while they can! Then when their Utopian New World Order is orchestrated it also gives them an excuse to "terminate" all of those whom are deemed imperfect!

History repeats itself, and ole Hitler would be especially proud of the demons whom have taken over the US government!!!

edit on 18-5-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but that is the plan make everything a mental disorder. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Basically it started with a 1967 meeting and how to control the emotions of a population by the year 2000. At approx 51 minutes in the video it says there are now 300 million prescriptions written yearly....

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
As someone who's both lost loved ones and suffered from major depressive disorder, this infuriates me.

It's NORMAL and HEALTHY to grieve when we lose those we love. It's a natural process and takes time, and yes....it hurts. But it's necessary to say goodbye and to eventually move on with your life.

Major depression is NOT healthy, and in my experience...it does not help and it never goes away. I struggle with this daily, and just lately it's been worse. I think it has to do with my introspective nature and may just be my normal operating state. Which sucks, because the pain is overwhelming and quality of life is nonexistent. I find myself thinking terrible things, and it brings me comfort. How does looking forward to death sound even partially sane?

S&F OP

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'm with Smyleegirl on this one.

Interestingly enough, I just had this conversation with an old high school friend of mine. I posted a blog comic that was the BEST description ever of what major clinical depression is. He messaged me within minutes to make sure I was ok - kinda nice to know someone gives a crap. Anyhoo, he never knew I had been dealing with depression since the age of 13 (I'm in my 40's now). We discussed the difference between clinical depression and the normal depression he felt at the loss of his mother. His depression was completely normal - it's grief - no pills needed, just time.

edit on 18-5-2013 by Mountainmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Here is the thing that I've always found illogical about psychiatry...

I have a hereditary disorder that causes temporary muscular paralysis due to low potassium. If I am experiencing a severe episode of this temporary paralysis I visit a hospital. Their first step, after I explain my problem, is to draw my blood and measure my potassium level. They can compare this level to well established norms and see that my level is way outside of the normal range. They do not just take my word for it, nor should they. The role of potassium in allowing muscle contraction is well understood, so it is very easy for them to draw a straight line between my low level and the symptoms and history that I describe. They then administer IV potassium chloride and monitor my levels until I am back to normal. It is important that they monitor this level independently of my feedback while administering the drug because overshooting it and giving me too much can cause serious complications, including heart failure. I know precisely when I've had enough because I start to regain my ability to move. It is a very unambiguous change. From my perspective a blood test is not required. However, this is not good enough for the doctors to be confident that they have given me the right amount. Though it can be annoying at times, it does make perfect sense to me because they are worried about the whole spectrum of possibilities while I am primarily worried about getting the hell out of the hospital.

As far as I know there is no truly objective test done on a person's brain chemistry before administering most psychiatric medicine. They make the diagnosis based on what the patient describes, and adjust the dosages based on the feedback of the patient. Furthermore, unlike the role of potassium in muscle function, the field of psychiatry seems to involve a bunch of guesswork about brain chemistry. They cannot verify, independent of the patient's feedback, the initial deviation from the normal expected chemistry of a healthy person or the effects of the drugs after they have been administered.

Why is it so important that a doctor monitor the effects of other drugs to verify the results independent of patient feedback but not so important when administering psychiatric drugs?
edit on 5/18/2013 by Slugworth because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/18/2013 by Slugworth because: typo

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Major depression is NOT healthy, and in my experience...it does not help and it never goes away. I struggle with this daily, and just lately it's been worse. I think it has to do with my introspective nature and may just be my normal operating state. Which sucks, because the pain is overwhelming and quality of life is nonexistent. I find myself thinking terrible things, and it brings me comfort. How does looking forward to death sound even partially sane?

This is me on a daily basis.

If you try talking to family about it, they say that there is something wrong with you and you need psychiatric help.

I consider myself an extreme realist.

Death is beautiful to me. It is not something to be feared.

Death is an escape to love, light, and eternal peace.

edit on 18-5-2013 by Quyll because: addition

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
They did that to me in the 90's when I lost my mom.
My family didn't want to deal with me not functioning well so they medicated me.
Then they turned around and gave me crap because I wasn't crying at the funeral.
When I saw some old family friends attending I smiled. They jumped all over that.
All the medication did was make it harder to actually grieve.

The way it's set up is a patient has to have a diagnosis to be given certain meds. yet if you are given the wrong diagnosis then you get the wrong meds. This is sad when there are some disorders that look similar but are treated with completely different medications.
I do think that people shouldn't be running to medications first, it should be a last resort especially for children.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

For me, the best therapy for grief is work.....hard physical work.
But I can't believe that it is now being treated like an illness/disorder.

Guess they want as much of the population doped up and dependent on drugs.
But being as the Pharmaceutical Co. is one of the biggest lobbiest, I'm not surprised.

Sad and scary how things are coming about.......

----------------------

ETA: And then, are the side effects worth it?????

edit on 18-5-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
The "Posting Information Contrary To Psychiatric Order Disorder" (PICTPOD) covers people who post this type of thread who wish to discredit the great and wonderful Oz. Please pick up your medicine from a friendly local, and report to the nearest Derepair Disinformation Doubters Center (DDDC) for your official clincial assessment and diagnosis card (to be carried on your person at all times) and the required decontamination procedure protocol. Thank you for your legally forced assistance.
edit on 19-5-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join