It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Home Defense Security Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Most people have no idea how to properly put a security plan in place to protect their family and their valuables. They may aimlessly throw things at the problem, like locks, security lights and even feel that a gun is going to save the day. Then something changes and they don’t know how to adapt.

What if I were to tell you there was a way to almost guarantee you control and the upper hand in any home invasion scenario? In this series we aim to do exactly that, give you the control over an assailant in response to a home invasion scenario. By applying the very same principles used to protect the world’s highest value targets you will have any assailant scratching their head.

Stay tuned to ATS as this series continues..

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The harder someone tries to protect their stuff, the more a thief wants it. Here's a brilliant idea: Ditch the camo hat and sunglasses, and stop telling everyone how safe you are because you're crazy worried about home invasions.
edit on 12-5-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
The harder someone tries to protect their stuff, the more a thief wants it. Here's a brilliant idea: Ditch the camo hat and sunglasses, and stop telling everyone how safe you are because you're crazy worried about home invasions.

Thanks for watching at least a few seconds of the video. I'm sorry you didn't like it. This IS the definitive way to secure your property. This is a forum that just happens to be titled "Survival". I happen to make videos with words like "survival" "defense" "plan", ya know, words like that. So why you are in a forum that is titled "Survival" and worried about a guy who is trying to teach people how to survive..I guess I am baffled.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

BTW..you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The harder someone tries to protect their stuff, the more a thief wants it. Here's a brilliant idea:: (no reason given)

There is a break point or a point at which this becomes true but for the most part, I totally disagree with you. Common thieves, kidnappers, rapists, etc. look for soft targets or targets of opportunity. There is plenty of research and interviews to watch with criminals and repeat offenders that shows they go after the "weak link". You can prevent the vast majority of crime with : strong locked doors, some dowel rods or wooden slates in the windows to keep them from being forces up from the outside, an alarm system sign, real or fake cameras and signage, and if you want a real alarm with an audible and loud siren.

That stops pretty much all the common criminals as the risk/reward is to out of balance, they will just go elsewhere. With that said, your next best tactic is hide what you got. The more people know about the valuables in your house the more potential attackers there are. aka it adds more rewards to the risk/reward to make them more likely to try it. Play your cards close to your chest. Hidden safes are good but always mount your safes. I'll never understand why people don't bolt stuff down. Here we had 4 large safes stolen from a man's house less than 2 weeks ago, as he said "filled with guns, ammo and silver". Probably someone that knew him and he bragged about his stuff to. Now we reach the break point.

If someone knows you have all these alarms and cameras and stuff and is still willing to press the attack, you only have one option. To fight them as they will probably be between you and a safe exit. Here is some good news, they probably don't know where you are but you know where they are. If you have a good shotgun, pistol or rifle you can stick the kids under a bed or in a closet and set up for an ambush. Set up between them and the safes but not directly in their line of travel. If they are dead set on getting to your safes, you don't want to force them to kill you to do it. If they've made that much of a commitment they will kill you and find your children. Set up in a side room or if possible on the opposite end of the house. This will make them choose between you and the safe, unless you are the target, they won't come for you and you'll protect your family better.

If you've chosen the right safes, and installed them correctly, you don't have to worry about your valuables. Your only concerns should be to keep your family out of the way and survive the encounter. If you have a strong position with a good choke point (hallway) you can definitely hold out till help arrives. Assuming you have an alarm system like I said earlier that should be soon, and someone can be on the phone with 911.

1. Be a hard target
2. Look unimportant
3. Nothing in your house is worth dying for except your family. Lock up your valuables the best you can and let them fend for themselves.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Virole because: Fixed crazy text

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

Some interesting info. to think about there, thank you...

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth[/

Sorry. Double post..
edit on 12-5-2013 by MrJohnSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
fixed the text above.. was super small..
edit on 12-5-2013 by Virole because: fixed

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The best security system is if the criminals have heard that you are a little crazy and that you would enjoy taking out someone who breaks into your home. They aren't going to try robbing you and if they do, then that is their problem.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Most criminals just want their loot and to get away fast so spend 5 mins looking at your house and think like a criminal...anything on show that says how rich/poor i am?..where can i kick in a door/window and not be seen, would tackling the dog be a good idea...motion sensors and lights...security cameras....prickly bushes...barbed wire...topped off external walls with cement and glass..sturdy locked doors...metal grills screwed into the brickwork of windows

The first stage should be to make the criminal decide its too much work for the reward and go somewhere else

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Virole

The harder someone tries to protect their stuff, the more a thief wants it. Here's a brilliant idea:: (no reason given)

There is a break point or a point at which this becomes true but for the most part, I totally disagree with you. Common thieves, kidnappers, rapists, etc. look for soft targets or targets of opportunity. There is plenty of research and interviews to watch with criminals and repeat offenders that shows they go after the "weak link". You can prevent the vast majority of crime with : strong locked doors, some dowel rods or wooden slates in the windows to keep them from being forces up from the outside, an alarm system sign, real or fake cameras and signage, and if you want a real alarm with an audible and loud siren.

That stops pretty much all the common criminals as the risk/reward is to out of balance, they will just go elsewhere. With that said, your next best tactic is hide what you got. The more people know about the valuables in your house the more potential attackers there are. aka it adds more rewards to the risk/reward to make them more likely to try it. Play your cards close to your chest. Hidden safes are good but always mount your safes. I'll never understand why people don't bolt stuff down. Here we had 4 large safes stolen from a man's house less than 2 weeks ago, as he said "filled with guns, ammo and silver". Probably someone that knew him and he bragged about his stuff to. Now we reach the break point.

If someone knows you have all these alarms and cameras and stuff and is still willing to press the attack, you only have one option. To fight them as they will probably be between you and a safe exit. Here is some good news, they probably don't know where you are but you know where they are. If you have a good shotgun, pistol or rifle you can stick the kids under a bed or in a closet and set up for an ambush. Set up between them and the safes but not directly in their line of travel. If they are dead set on getting to your safes, you don't want to force them to kill you to do it. If they've made that much of a commitment they will kill you and find your children. Set up in a side room or if possible on the opposite end of the house. This will make them choose between you and the safe, unless you are the target, they won't come for you and you'll protect your family better.

If you've chosen the right safes, and installed them correctly, you don't have to worry about your valuables. Your only concerns should be to keep your family out of the way and survive the encounter. If you have a strong position with a good choke point (hallway) you can definitely hold out till help arrives. Assuming you have an alarm system like I said earlier that should be soon, and someone can be on the phone with 911.

1. Be a hard target
2. Look unimportant
3. Nothing in your house is worth dying for except your family. Lock up your valuables the best you can and let them fend for themselves.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Virole because: Fixed crazy text

Excellent points. In the rest of the series I will detail the logic behind all of your points...stay tuned.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Yes, what you are describing is "deterring" a criminal, but there are three more points to a proper security plan.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, Op, I listened to the whole video and I have to say it makes sense. I look forward to seeing what you have to add and build on the basics presented there. This isn't far at all from the seminars I've attended, put on by professionals in this area though and it's certainly important to consider the points. I think plenty of people do over-think or under-plan their own realistic situation, locally, and wind up making it worse rather than better as a result.

Of course, the first big suggestion of the video is the one many here might have the largest problem with and it's one they need to work past in this context. Just walking up to a police officer (Who isn't otherwise occupied with something at that moment, of course) and striking up a conversation on the issue. It IS amazing how talkative and helpful they can be when one just treats them like another human being with valuable insight to share, rather than something akin to typhoid mary with a mysterious plague to spread.

Failing that or if someone is in an area where the Cops are just especially brutish and unhelpful? I have something to share.

Interactive Crime Maps

That has my own area as well as many, around the nation and can help a lot in seeing, rather than guessing, what crime REALLY happens in the immediate area as well as how it generally comes about.

* Oh.. and I'd say the best thing? Just don't touch the typography controls, like text size, unless there is an overwhelming reason for it. The micro print it's resulting in is distracting almost beyond the good points I think you're trying to convey here.

** Coming back to repeat for good measure? please please PLEASE don't change stuff like text size and font type as a trial and error experiment?? The last message you posted (which still has time to edit the stuff out...) managed to change how everything on other people's messages appear on this thread, following it. I love your thread so far...but honestly, that effect would have me avoiding it, despite the good info.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, Op, I listened to the whole video and I have to say it makes sense. I look forward to seeing what you have to add and build on the basics presented there. This isn't far at all from the seminars I've attended, put on by professionals in this area though and it's certainly important to consider the points. I think plenty of people do over-think or under-plan their own realistic situation, locally, and wind up making it worse rather than better as a result.

Of course, the first big suggestion of the video is the one many here might have the largest problem with and it's one they need to work past in this context. Just walking up to a police officer (Who isn't otherwise occupied with something at that moment, of course) and striking up a conversation on the issue. It IS amazing how talkative and helpful they can be when one just treats them like another human being with valuable insight to share, rather than something akin to typhoid mary with a mysterious plague to spread.

Failing that or if someone is in an area where the Cops are just especially brutish and unhelpful? I have something to share.

Interactive Crime Maps

That has my own area as well as many, around the nation and can help a lot in seeing, rather than guessing, what crime REALLY happens in the immediate area as well as how it generally comes about.

* Oh.. and I'd say the best thing? Just don't touch the typography controls, like text size, unless there is an overwhelming reason for it. The micro print it's resulting in is distracting almost beyond the good points I think you're trying to convey here.

** Coming back to repeat for good measure? please please PLEASE don't change stuff like text size and font type as a trial and error experiment?? The last message you posted (which still has time to edit the stuff out...) managed to change how everything on other people's messages appear on this thread, following it. I love your thread so far...but honestly, that effect would have me avoiding it, despite the good info.

Excellent idea with the crimereports.com. As soon as I figure out in video external links I will add that to the video.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Interactive Crime Maps

I tried looking up houses in different neighborhoods and all I got were sex offenders, no other crimes. What does it show for you?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LibertysTeeth

Thanks for watching at least a few seconds of the video. I'm sorry you didn't like it. This IS the definitive way to secure your property. This is a forum that just happens to be titled "Survival". I happen to make videos with words like "survival" "defense" "plan", ya know, words like that. So why you are in a forum that is titled "Survival" and worried about a guy who is trying to teach people how to survive..I guess I am baffled.

C'mon!! A guy has got to try to be snide to get some stars!!!

On topic: Good job, I appreciate your effort to this forum...that's why it is my favorite forum!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A working security system, a dog, closed window blinds can minimize your vulnerability profile.

Trimmed bushes, fenced yard, garaged vehicles should help you discern who is bad and who isn't.

Not getting your mail everyday will lessen your vulnerability profile. Leaving yesterday's paper or two back on your lawn will further lessen your chances. In the afternoon, walking around outside, when needed, in your robe will further confuse creeping thiefs...they won't really know what shift you work.

When a person knocks at the door...don't answer it, unless you expecting them. Screen your calls when you can. Keeping your alarm system going is a huge deterrent. If a person puts a pamphlet on your door...leave it for a few days.

Trim your lawn at infrequent intervals. Don't pattern yourself.

The peak time for getting robbed is between noon and 1430...for homes. Don't believe it, look at your street during that time. Making a robber wonder if you are home will make them pick another home.

But the most important thing you can do is...keep your neighbors informed. Look out for one another. They'd expect the same in return.

....my step-son and his buds were busted for home robberies more than once. Got most of this info from them.

As for home invasions... I'd recommend a big dog for a house pet. Motion lights and an NRA sticker or two will make you less of a target. The more you look like a redneck the less of a chance you will be messed with IMO.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
At no time am I saying the main points in the YT video is false. I agree with them.

Knowing your area should be your main goal, as stated in the video. Ask your local police department for advice is a good thing to do.

When it comes to home invasion situations, the most logical deterrent is the best.
-dogs, lighting, visibility, security should be the focus. Answering your door armed is also an option. Cracking the door open while holding a pistol ready to go, isn't crazy IMO.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertysTeeth

It's loading my local city map and showing all the top winners. Rape, Robbery, Burglary, Theft, Assault. Of course I see the perv alerts too and have a State Police notifier sending me updates on a 1 mile radius to those anyway.

I think that is a clearing house site that simply takes in what participating agencies send it. So it may vary by location, what each one sends?

I can say, if someone really cares enough to put a little time toward learning their areas? Radio Reference / Broadcastify is still the one to beat for direct scanner audio feeds. My little area has live feeds for all the local towns and more than one for what is in the city itself. It's been a real learning experience to what IS and is NOT happening in my city.

They put incredible effort into keeping it all hush hush and on the QT for the sake of tourism to Branson as well as our local stuff here. It's as busy a police department as any though.

You're 100% right on one thing, though. Different areas of the city have measurably different types of crime and different levels of crisis to the average calls the police roll out on. Listening enough to get a sense for patterns and meaning to that is priceless.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A lot of folks can't see videos where they are reading this board, so may be a good idea to add some bullet points about each one. (just a suggestion).

I'm one of those folks.

Some of my own measures include:

1. We always have someone home. One member of the household works at home taking care of the ranch.
2. We have two large dogs (who are very good at reading people and their intentions). (and 4 smaller dogs that make a lot of noise, and a bird that will certainly make a lot of noise also..with the added fun of saying "Hey Baby" which will likely knock a thief off guard)
3. We have multiple layers of fencing (mostly for the horses, but this also means a LOT of work for a would-be thief). On average, a thief would have to get over two fences to get to the house. Three in some places.
4. Motion-sensor lights all over the property.
5. Busy-body neighbors who never leave their home (take the good with the bad part of that, hehe...)
6. Friends in local law enforcement.
7. No fancy vehicles, we drive trucks. (ok, we do have a nice older Camaro, but it's in the garage).
8. Blinds on the windows.
9. Well-hidden and secured (and fireproof) safe.(and not common knowledge there is one, although I wish I had more to put in it,
) This is mostly for important info and docs, etc. (I also keep jump drive backups of photos in here, which I think is one of my more clever ideas).
10. Securable "sections" of the house. (with exterior quality door locks, not flimsy inner door locks) - there are 3 different areas of the house that can be closed off to intruders inside the house. (not counting each room that could be done so)
11. Very secure doors (deadbolts and/or floor bolts, metal reinforcing)
12. Window track locks.
13. Glass door lock bars. (I hate the security weakness of these doors, so eventually, I'll be replacing them out. The good news is that these are only going outside to the externally locked porch/mancave.
14. Mounted TVs (they would be a pain in the but to remove, for a thief).
15. Guns, we have them, and members of the household are trained in their use, range time, etc.
16. Oddly placed switches and layout (not intentional, but in the dark, a would-be thief would be hard-pressed to turn on the lights. And, due to the odd layout of the house, he'd likely trip over his own feet trying to navigate, whereas we would have no issues.

We do have nice furniture and decorations on display, but only willing to sacrifice so much for security. We still want to enjoy our home, and we like to entertain our family and friends. We bought a lot of it in better times, so it kind of makes us seem like we have more than we do, to others. (which from a security standpoint, is a bad thing).

Because we board horses for others though, and horse theft still can happen, we take security seriously. I do want to add some things, such as cameras and a driveway alert, but those are mostly for business security.

The above certainly make it a pretty bad risk to reward ratio for any would-be crook. Getting over the fence, he's likely to land in horse poop. (and hope he doesn't hit the times the electric horse fence wire is on). Then, he'll trip the outer motion lights (which could alert a neighbor). Once at the house, he'll trip a door or window alarm opening it, and then get greeted by a not so friendly boxer/pit or lab/chow (during the day, they are sweet, but a stranger at night? Nope). By then, we're up and while the others lock themselves in their rooms, I'm coming with a pistol and shotgun (and in the dark). Not fun for him.

edit on 13-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join