It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pregnant Mom Of 4 Sentenced To Prison For Refusing To Serve In Iraq

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reaper2137
reply to post by mrbeardo42

Thank you, but as was just pointed out to me, when she first ran she was not pregnant. Which to me changed the whole meaning of the article to me. What do you think of that I wonder does it change your stance, that she broke the law, ran, than while on the lamb, knowing that sooner or later, she would be deported. Decided to have another child.?

That was my first question in thought when I saw this. "Did she get pregnant before running?"

Damn. PWNED again

GOOD JOB Reaper2137

PS: Sorry for any unintentional offence in my writings, I try to stay on the level and fair, being a Libra (whatever that means these days, even though there should be 13 signs now)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Lol... I bet the lead contractor on endor, look up and yelled Funk when he saw the death star explode.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I didn't take offense to any thing, your a good person, and I liked responding to you as well.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
People count more than any piece of paper and contract. Anyone who thinks a contract is slavery and binding is insane and its not, its a crime for any government or court system to say it is.

Real flesh and blood counts and can change its mind anytime it wants.

Crimes are things like; rape, murder, stealing, slavery......

When people wake up more and start to free their minds, and support one another, this hellzone will rise up.

If you believe in a piece of paper overruling flesh and blood, then your mind is co-creating this hellzone.

If you see through the world and care for all people and freeing all, and equality, you are creating heaven.

Its a thoughtscape, so even thoughts count.

Corporate law is treason, it's fascism.

The only semblance of natural law is Common Law, thou shalt not harm.

Its not harm for a pregnant women to renig.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Except she wasn't pregnant when she ran, she got pregnant after she broke the law.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

reply to post by PLASIFISK

I like to say at least at the end of the day I tried and diplomacy was at least attempted. I enjoyed it.

We did what we could.

Which was more than most. And enjoyed by none.

In the grim future, the ones who despise us will acknowledge us, and attempt to make us their dogs.

We are them, however they will give us a label out of fear.

Necessity will dictate otherwise.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Unity_99

Except she wasn't pregnant when she ran, she got pregnant after she broke the law.

True. But it doesn't matter to some on here.

She violated her contract.

UCMJ did what it was suppose to do.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This lady did not sign a contract in which she agreed to kill innocent people, terrify them and ruin their lives. If this is what she ended up doing when she worked for the 'people' she made the contract with then it is them that broke the contract.
Even the German army had a 'consicence clause' in their agreement where a soldier could not be forced to do something against their own consicence.

When we go against our own consicence we damage our soul!

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

aparently everyone is related by atleast 50th cousins or something like that.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If there weren't a bunch of dirtbags, like this Rivera girl, already crowding the military ranks then I might believe her. Unfortunately, some people read the black and white, sign the paper and then find out later they don't like getting up early for physical training. Happens 9 times out of 10, however, seems as though this person is willing to make up a counter argument and let the media start a battle.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Obama should see the light on this mom and 4 kids, america is suppose to be the land of the free, rights for all, I think this woman has a right to fight for her rights she's a mother for christ sake with 4 kids give her a break. The war overseas has always been about oil and crap.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
no one should join the military. let politicians fight their own wars for greed. they just use their civilizations and trade their death for money. don't people realize we haven't been fighting for freedom for a very long time? everyone should stop supporting murderers and use your brain and stop becoming mindless soldiers. I guarantee "almost" everyone that enlist in the military, joins, because they need a pay check. if they cared about fighting for freedom they would come back here and defy orders and see that we are being invaded by political terrorist. seriously more than half these people call them selves "patriots." i find it ironic.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't think the argument of 'many atrocities have been committed because the soldier said, "I was just following orders" and therefore deserting entirely is just fine' applies in this situation.

This war's been going on for over a decade. People have had that long to look at it and NOT think, "Oh wow, a chance to do humanitarian work. In uniform!"

The conscientious objection should take place before you sign up, therefore. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 12 years.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Were it only you and yours defending anything,No military,just sniffing flowers all and singing Kumbaya,you would cease to exist without some kind of combatant in front of you like you already have now,us. I AM a Christian and a former cav scout. When you go into a recruiting office you KNOW what the hell you are doing or you are about to make a huge mistake that will be your own fault,worse if you're combat arms. You are in fact "Rendering unto Caesar" your own butt for what ever the hell Caesar wants to do with it.
Women ARE NOT currently in combat arms but they do obtain support roles that can put them in front line exposure.She sure as hell was NOT in infantry,no female has passed the course,the equipment is too heavy and they don't appear so far to have the ability to maintain physical and emotional stress for extended periods.

If you haven't joined you don't know,speaking down to those who have is no viable conversation,it's just ranting.
And if nobody joins, they'll draft you.
UCMJ replaced ALL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS when you join.
edit on 12-5-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: finished my point

edit on 12-5-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: Really done this time

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elliot
This lady did not sign a contract in which she agreed to kill innocent people, terrify them and ruin their lives. If this is what she ended up doing

That's not what she ended up doing, and it's not why she deserted. She was a truck driver and pulled details like gate guard. I wish people would stop projecting their own antipathy for the war or US policy on this person's motivations.

She couldn't handle the stress of being away from her kids, possibly because she didn't trust her husband with them.

Kim's thoughts constantly turned to her kids. "It was incredibly emotional. I kept thinking, What if something happened to them? What if there was some emergency and they were hurt? I wouldn't be there for them," she says. "I'd be over in Iraq, just waiting to die."
She's a special snowflake and the rules don't apply to her. Y'see, there aren't any other parents in the military....

Same source, she was afraid she'd get killed on gate guard:

That evening over a take-out dinner, Kim's kindergartner, Christian, suddenly puts down his pizza to announce, "My mommy was a soldier. She had to make a choice: Go home or die." Kim freezes midbite, her eyes widening. Christian prattles on. "She chose to come home to her family. She didn't want to die. Her job was guarding the gate. Now someone else does it."
Probably someone else who had kids at home.

This woman's lawyer and the anti-war groups have done a good job of convincing the public and the media that she had an attack of conscience, but the court martial saw right through that. She volunteered, changed her mind, and forced someone else to pick up the slack. The irony is, now she really won't be there for her kids, and she won't be able to provide them the kind of life and opportunities they deserve.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gosseyn
(made a search and didn't find this posted)

“I had a huge awakening seeing the war as it truly is: people losing their lives for greed of a nation, and the effects on the soldiers who come back with new problems such as nightmares, anxieties, depression, anger, alcohol abuse, missing limbs and scars from burns. Some don’t come back at all.”

Rivera was troubled by a two-year-old Iraqi girl who came to the base with her family to claim compensation after a bombing by US forces. “She was just petrified,” Rivera explained. “She was crying, but there was no sound, just tears flowing out of her eyes. She was shaking. I have no idea what had happened in her little life. All I know is I wasn’t seeing her: I was seeing my own little girl. I could imagine my daughter being one of those kids throwing rocks at soldiers, because maybe someone she loved had been killed. That Iraqi girl haunts my soul.”

Link
she signed up right?its b.s sure but she signed up for it.then broke the law.i have a feeling that if it was a FATHER of 4,you wouldn't have even mentioned it.

I don't know which comment I could make, this is just disgusting, and stupid, and inhumane and stupid again. Surely when rules are stupid, there should be a way to change them. How is war supposed to stop with these rules and ideologies that lead to these rules, when will we learn as a species ?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnysidea

Originally posted by gosseyn
(made a search and didn't find this posted)

“I had a huge awakening seeing the war as it truly is: people losing their lives for greed of a nation, and the effects on the soldiers who come back with new problems such as nightmares, anxieties, depression, anger, alcohol abuse, missing limbs and scars from burns. Some don’t come back at all.”

Rivera was troubled by a two-year-old Iraqi girl who came to the base with her family to claim compensation after a bombing by US forces. “She was just petrified,” Rivera explained. “She was crying, but there was no sound, just tears flowing out of her eyes. She was shaking. I have no idea what had happened in her little life. All I know is I wasn’t seeing her: I was seeing my own little girl. I could imagine my daughter being one of those kids throwing rocks at soldiers, because maybe someone she loved had been killed. That Iraqi girl haunts my soul.”

Link
she signed up right?its b.s sure but she signed up for it.then broke the law.i have a feeling that if it was a FATHER of 4,you wouldn't have even mentioned it.

I don't know which comment I could make, this is just disgusting, and stupid, and inhumane and stupid again. Surely when rules are stupid, there should be a way to change them. How is war supposed to stop with these rules and ideologies that lead to these rules, when will we learn as a species ?

I agree, if it had been the father this wouldn't even be a blip on the media radar.

I've followed this story for a couple years now. They were both going to join but both were overweight at the time. She lost enough weight first, so she enlisted. At the time they had two kids. After they went to Canada they had two more kids and now she's pregnant with their 5th child.

She signed up, didn't like it, ran to Canada, and so she's paying the price for her actions. In 10 months or less she'll be out of prison and given a Bad Conduct Discharge and she'll be ineligible for any federal programs due to her BCD.

Life is all about choices, she made her choice.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Under sentencing, judges should not take into consideration you have children. It has NOTHING to do with the offense.In fact, it makes it worse that you wouldn't consider your own children's fate. She knew the possibilities when she signed up.

By the way, I was sentenced to 18 months in prison, despite having 5 kids. My own stupidity.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join