It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The term 'sheeple' & It's negative connotations. Can we be grown up's now please?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Thanks for the kind words. As i expected the thread has been buried but my aim was to vent and reach a few people, so it's been accomplished.

I just like to attempt to remind people that sometimes it really is the little things that count and that can lead to big problems. Further segregating ourselves will so the community no good but i suppose you could argue will it do any harm?

As the freight train of the worlds economy comes to the edge of the cliff, i personally, would rather see more 'sheeple' on the other side then in the wreck. Even if my ego and energy are depleted in the process.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I thought the purpose of ATS was to deny ignorance.

I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

You may not like the semantics of it but the idea remains.

Carry on.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
at times like this, i generally show how lazy, smug and hip i am by posting XKCD

tadah!

edit on 10-5-2013 by skalla because: i used to be able to spell, for real

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Right on, skalla.

You know what the problem in that panel is?

They are all just sitting there, thinking it to themselves. Not a single one *gasp* reaching out to their fellow humans for a nice chat.

Remember when we used to do that? Just sit around and chat and share experiences and, just maybe, learn something from one another?

But no, we all have everything figured out all by ourselves. Interaction such as this is so passe.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

indeed, i often take the bus or train, and a simple "hello" and a smile cuts out all that isolating crud quite nicely and often leads to a nice chat

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

Tell me about it. I grew up in a village and now live in apartments in the city. Took a bottle of wine over to the new neighbor's house to say hi and they gave me a look as if i'd just killed there dog or something. "Sorry for being human guys, I'll just leave now

I still shockingly (to them) chat with strangers on transport and such, i still find the odd human being who doesn't feel the need to back into a corner and hiss at me. lol

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If you're upset by the term "sheeple", then CONGRATULATIONS!

You aren't one!

Just knowing the term means your eyes are opened up enough to at least question what you are being fed as the truth, which in turn means you are NOT one of them.

Derogatory? Not really. There are times when I want to deny our motto and cry out that ignorance is bliss, that not knowing about things makes it impossible for me to fear them.

Just like the word "ignorant", it doesn't HAVE to be derogatory. For example, "ignorant" just means you aren't aware of something. That lack of awareness doesn't imply "fault".

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

'upset' - "disgusted and appalled" - i suppose you could say i find it upsetting yes.

It's not really about the use of the word in particular nor it's connotations. It's more about the division the term encourages. It suggest me against you, you're different, thats not good. Were as in reality, we pride ourselves on being 'different', no?

I suppose i'm trying to dig into the subconcious mind of ATS to find out whats behind this division aside from the obvious, but the thread has dies a deaf so it will have to wait for another day.

There are times when I want to deny our motto and cry out that ignorance is bliss, that not knowing about things makes it impossible for me to fear them.

Oh don't you know it. I think occasionally we all wish we could be blissfully ignorant.

Thanks for the contribution

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

Sadly, it seems to be the way of the world today. I know Gandhi said something or other about being the change you want to see, but it doesn't really help all that much without cooperation.

Still, it doesn't mean we can't try - I can't drink alcohol for health reasons but I would most certainly accept the gesture and invite you in. Must be an awful lot of people out there with so many friends they can't possibly handle one more.

Once the ice was broken, if either one of us busted out the word "sheeple" in conversation I'm sure we'd both get a good laugh about it, too. I agree it doesn't have to carry negative connotations, as Clapton says it's in the way that you use it.

Apologies if this rant has been thoroughly derailed, and I hope you have a great weekend!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

It suggest me against you, you're different, thats not good.

I never see myself as "against" sheeple or that it isn't good that they (or I) are different. I see it more as an opportunity to educate them on the topic (assuming I can) if they are interested...but if they aren't, I will certainly drop it. Who am I to judge if someone wants to remain blissfully ignorant of something. While our motto is to deny ignorance, that is for each person to decide or not to decide.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join