It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probably the Worlds most Stupidist Question...But I've got to ask!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I'm going to have to be contrary to everyone else here.

There are in fact stupid questions.

As far as your question,
We would need a video in order to observe the actions taken which led to the breaking of the glass. Your asking this question of us, without providing details of the actual physics involved in the broken glass, and the position of the glass breaker in relation to the glass makes this a stupid question to be asking an internet forum.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Glass does Not Smash, .. It Explodes on impact. When you hear glass break you are hearing 100's or 1000's of tiny explosions. When glass explodes it send pieces and particles in All different directions. Depending on the Impact or Explosion, the pieces can possibly accelerate.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ok I'm going to go on a limb here.....

The glass was already in the process of breaking possibly due to thermal stress over the lifetime of the cup.

When she dropped the glass was when the initial cut already happened thus making it seem like she dropped the cup randomly when it fact her hand was damaged.

Since mind over matter and people usually can't feel what they can't see, she never felt the cut but her mind responded to it by sending a signal to the hand to drop whatever object is causing her body distress.

The remnants of the dropped cup did not look like a regular dropped piece of dishery.

I'm thinking there were lots of small shards left to clean up, unusually smaller than what a normal fallen cup would have looked like. Also I'm assuming she had just filled that cup up with a very cold beverage and the heat of her hand was the catalyst.
edit on 29-4-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Probably the Worlds most Stupidist Question...But I've got to ask!,

yes, you have a face that looks like a slapped arse!

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
LOL.........lot's of good possible explanations so far. I might have to take your Stupid Question and raise you an even Stupider true event.....

One day I'm making tuna salad, and I drop a glass jar of mayo on my white and black kitchen floor, of course I'm in bare feet, which would have given my Mom a heart attack, when I begin to clean this mess up. The next thing I know I slipped in the mayo, and cut my ankle so bad I needed over 20 stitches, there was blood and mayo everywhere, I tried to get up, and slipped AGAIN...this time just getting minor cuts on my hands and legs........by the time my BF got there to take me to the emergency room...it looked like a massacre had happened in my kitchen....was totally surreal....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Sorry this took so long, I just noticed it.

most Stupidist
Really?

I apologize for being a grammar and spelling Nazi here. I'm normally not, but this really caught my attention.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I used to work in a cardboard-box factory, So I can explain...

The square box is a rectangle...the most efficient and cheapest shape to cut out.

The pizza is classically circular due to centrifugal force.

When one divides a circle more than once,

one always ends up with triangular shaped pieces.

My Question...

Why is a chiliagon not called a kilogon?

Tfw.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

I used to drink, I'll answer this question.

The kilo prefix is derived from the Greek word χίλιοι (chilioi), meaning thousand. It was originally adopted by Antoine Lavoisier and his group in 1795, and introduced into the metric system in France with its establishment in 1799.

It was based off the root word and named chiliagon then it was never updated because it is obsolete.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
How do you explain throwing a glass milk bottle on a 8ft by 2ft wall from 15ft away and it standing on top of the wall...? That happened to me.

And to your question...I think in the moment of impact small pieces of glass break apart and cut the finger

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i love lamp

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

OK I got a mystery for yaz.....the pizza mystery that is!! Why is it that when you order a pizza, it arrives in a square box, the pizza itself is circular, and then we cut into triangles???? Now THAT is a stupid question

Love this!!!

Very good question, one that has never occurred to me to consider, wow I love it.

Sadly I have no answer, but I guess its a great way to introduce pre-schoolers to shapes.

edit on 30-4-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

That was a most excellent answer.

Thank You!

Originally posted by yyzyyz123
i love lamp

What?

Very good question, one that has never occurred to me to consider, wow I love it. Sadly I have no answer

Already answered

edit on 30/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: A single interaction can have multiple interpretations.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well smooth glass can't cut.. only way for it to cut is to have jagged edge or finer edge or in shrapnel/projectile form.

Actual action of getting cut has to do with pressure and tension between the sharp edge of the glass and your skin.

Some glass are so fine they cut the nerve in a gentle way you can't feel any pain and just bleed. However, you mind will produce pain once you see yourself bleeding.

My question!

Why do you touch the place you felt pain? example, when you get slapped on the face, why do you touch it with your hand in quick reflex?
edit on 4/30/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

As far as your question, We would need a video in order to observe the actions taken which led to the breaking of the glass. Your asking this question of us, without providing details of the actual physics involved in the broken glass, and the position of the glass breaker in relation to the glass makes this a stupid question to be asking an internet forum.

Not true, seeing my friend cut the other day was the catalyst, to the question, as this happens a lot, in a whole wide world sense, where a glass is thrown, or dropped, yet somehow an individual becomes cut.

Yet the glass is in tact when it leaves the hand.

I couldn't find an answer elsewhere, hence the thread, you would have thought an answer would be more forthcoming.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Sorry this took so long, I just noticed it.

most Stupidist
Really?

I apologize for being a grammar and spelling Nazi here. I'm normally not, but this really caught my attention.

I have two young kids sue me!!!

You know Mr spag Nazi, sometimes, we do things just for dramatic effect, a point lost on you entirely.

Please, get some joy, while you're at it, feel free to spell check the rest of my OP, whilst you're there, perhaps you could think of a world's stupidist question and show us how it's done spag perfect.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by yyzyyz123
i love lamp

Stupid Jeopardy ???

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
How do you explain throwing a glass milk bottle on a 8ft by 2ft wall from 15ft away and it standing on top of the wall...? That happened to me.

And to your question...I think in the moment of impact small pieces of glass break apart and cut the finger

I call that lucky

I had one of those situations once with a box falling the right way up, some distance away from where it fell at height.

I guess sometimes Murphy isn't around to enforce his own laws.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

If the glass truly broke due to impact on the ground and not from squeezing the glass too hard, I'd say it can be blamed on nonlocality.

Wish I could give you more than a star!

You have just answered along the lines of where my trail of thought went with this when I began to wonder and was the kind of answer I hoped to find on Google, but couldn't.

I think it is entirely possible, as the object is in tact when it leaves the hand, travels through the air, until the point of impact with a surface or object, which triggers the breakdown of the glass object's form, but it has already travelled away from the hand.

There have been some fantastic answers, all valid explanations, but your answer is lovely out of the box thinking, which is equally valid in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

I call that lucky

I had one of those situations once with a box falling the right way up, some distance away from where it fell at height.

I guess sometimes Murphy isn't around to enforce his own laws.

I don't believe in luck. And you're going to compare your box story with mine? Read again. I don't think you're imagining it right

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleVortex

Now hey there, I never said your story wasn't the more dramatic, it was the only thing I have ever come close to as a comparison and a weak one at that

If only you could have had advance warning of what was to occur, you could have had a wager with some friends and made a couple of quid.

edit on 30-4-2013 by solargeddon because: typo

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join