It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hockey player dies after snake bite at training

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

There's way more than just sharks that will kill you in Australia's waters....heck, just add the box jellyfish and stonefish for starters... It isn't about ONE creature, it's about so many there, all being designed to kill you. There's a reason why God or the deity of your choice put it out in the middle of nowhere....it's like his/her experiment room or something.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is a good post. And I would like to add something, as it is fresh on my mind. I have been seeing people post on Facebook promoting snake bite kits. They don't work. And in fact, most often do more harm than good. The best thing is to just avoid them and they will leave you alone. If you friend yourself near them often, invest in gators.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

How would a snakebite kit do MORE damage? (at least if used properly).

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The Facebook post I am talking about specifically said that the guy removed 4 CUPS of "infected blood" from his leg while trying to remove the venom.
When you remove that much blood, you are causing your heart to work harder, thus spreading the venom through the bloodstream faster. Giving yourself LESS TIME. To get to the hospital.

I hate those damn things. They give people false hope.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

There's way more than just sharks that will kill you in Australia's waters....heck, just add the box jellyfish and stonefish for starters

Only 64 people have died from the box jellyfish, none since 2007, and there has only been 1 recorded death by stonefish.....

About 5 people a year die from our "dangerous" creatures, but 20 die from horse riding - so the horse is 4 times more dangerous than all our other "killer" animals!
www.bobinoz.com...

edit on 29-4-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I have been seeing people post on Facebook promoting snake bite kits. They don't work. And in fact, most often do more harm than good.

Good grief, I just saw this on youtube

How out of date that is (and useless). Here is the recommended treatment in Australia

First Aid for Snake Bites: Do NOT wash the area of the bite! It is extremely important to retain traces of venom for use with venom identification kits! Stop lymphatic spread - bandage firmly, splint and immobilise! The "pressure-immobilisation" technique is currently recommended by the Australian Resuscitation Council, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. The lymphatic system is responsible for systemic spread of most venoms. This can be reduced by the application of a firm bandage (as firm as you would put on a sprained ankle) over a folded pad placed over the bitten area. While firm, it should not be so tight that it stops blood flow to the limb or to congests the veins. Start bandaging directly over the bitten area, ensuing that the pressure over the bite is firm and even. If you have enough bandage you can extend towards more central parts of the body, to delay spread of any venom that has already started to move centrally. A pressure dressing should be applied even if the bite is on the victims trunk or torso. Immobility is best attained by application of a splint or sling, using a bandage or whatever to hand to absolutely minimise all limb movement, reassurance and immobilisation (eg, putting the patient on a stretcher). Where possible, bring transportation to the patient (rather then vice versa). Don't allow the victim to walk or move a limb. Walking should be prevented. The pressure-immobilisation approach is simple, safe and will not cause iatrogenic tissue damage (ie, from incision, injection, freezing or arterial torniquets - all of which are ineffective).

edit on 29-4-2013 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Precisely. The only thing those things are good for are bee stings and things of this nature.

The dude that got bit and said the kit saved his life however, was all alone out of cell range hunting. He got tagged by a monster timber rattlesnake. Dangerous situation, but even in that case, pressure dress the wound, remain as calm as possible and get your ass to the ER asap.

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Reminds me of the story of two mates working in the remote outback ...

They were working on a fence line, when one of them let out a big yelp!
Then sings out to his mate - " Iv'e been bitten on me arse by an inland taipan!!" His mate comes over has a look, then places a piece of folded material on the site, telling his mate to keep pressure on it - but relax while he gets on the sat. phone to speak with the flying doctor service.

Once contact was made with medical help he was told -
" you must make a small incision on the bite, then you must suck out as much poison as possible then add pressure to the wound. It is very important that you do this to buy valuable time as we can not get there for at least an hour, your friend will not live that long without this life saving first aid. "

He gets off the sat. phone and returns to his mate who anxiously asks, " what did they say mate !!?? "
His friend replies - " They said your gonna die mate. "

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

I did see this report, but didn't realise this poor bugger actually picked up the snake.

For our overseas readers especially, this is an incredibly dumb thing to do! I thought someone living in the Northern Territory (where most of the REALLY dangerous stuff resides) would know better that to actually try to touch a snake of any kind....
One of the things that really concerned me after the recent floods we've had here was the wildlife being shook loose and heading for drier gound (ie, my house). Thankfully we only saw one snake, I think it was a black and it was heading quickly in the other direction.

@Kryties & Timely.

I miss our Bob. He was found dead one morning, don't know why. Needless to say, the chickens gave him a good send off, as far as spiders go. We do have a Fred however. I don't know what species he is, but he is slightly larger than my hand (about 5-6 or so inches), is bright yellow and black and had blueish black legs. He is also missing one, and I find him quite often sitting in the trees behind the pool, contemplating being a giant colourful spider I guess. I consider him to be my lucky 7 legged spider.... As long as he stays where he is and doesn't approach the house. His luck may run out then...

For any American or overseas members planning a visit here, you are more than welcome to come and stay with myself and Fred and possibly other Bobs, the numerous frogs, drop bears, cicadas (you'll love them promise, especially the big ones) and other generally crawling things that love to make my home their home...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Any chance of throwing up a pic of " Fred " ?
He sounds interesting - at arms length.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

When I get back to Qld after this week I will try to track down Fred and snap a pic of him. In SA right now, only a few Bobs and lots of mozzies...

Oh and cold. Lotsa cold....

Fred and I's first meeting was almost up close and personal. I nearly walked into him sitting in 'his' tree one evening. Needless to say, Fred was lucky he was not wearing pants. Me? Not so lucky...

edit on 30/4/2013 by 74Templar because: eta

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Anyone who has done first aid will tell you that calming and relaxing someone suffering from snakebite is the very first thing you do, along with slowing the blood flow to stop the poison spreading more quickly.

What most likely killed this guy (apart from being an idiot and touching a snake in the first place) was going for a 2km run afterwards. High blood flow = faster death. This whole "suck the poison out" thing is great for Hollywood, but in reality is a brilliant way to get yourself poisoned too.

What most people don't realise is being in Australia is just mostly using common sense. Know your surroundings, what potentially lives there, and prepare accordingly. Ie; don't go walking in long grass on hot days without covered shoes or shorts, don't walk in shallow rock pools barefoot, or don't go shoving your hands into dark places/old boxes without looking first.

Common sense really, regardless where in the world you live...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Hahaha! Looking forward to a 'pictorial' meeting ...

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

This one is pretty close to Fred, although the legs and body are more like a pearl black/blue.

According to Google he is a Saint-Andrew's Cross Spider. Non-Poisonous.

Again, I extend a warm welcome to any and all of our overseas members to come and spend some time with Fred, and really get to know him.

edit on 30/4/2013 by 74Templar because: eta

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

And what a handsome insect management unit is Fred !
Much better looking than our garden orb weaving spiders. ( you know the really fat brown ones )

edit on 30-4-2013 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

I've seen a couple of them too. Ugly as. They like to hang around people's houses up in the roof eaves, and they 'aint all that little either....

You think we're putting the US members off much by posting these? I can also try to find a pic of the 6 foot green tree python that comes calling quite often (although I don't want to de-rail the thread too much).

On topic... Snakes+Touching = Bad news or bad day. Probably both.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Fair enough, back on topic.

Definitely recommend leaving snakes well enough alone regardless of type.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Timely

This is a list of the 10 most dangerous snakes in Australia. As a general rule, all snakes should be left alone, and most will do their best to get away from you unless cornered or have young nearby. My father, along with a friend were both chased by King Brown Snakes that had young.

Australia's 10 most deadly snakes

WHEN IT COMES TO self-defence, Australia's snakes have got things pretty well covered. We share our continent with about 140 species of land snakes, some equipped with venom more toxic than any other snakes in the world.

This is also sound advice for anyone getting near a snake.

"Snake bites are very, very rare [in Australia] and often the fault of the person being bitten. Most bites occur when people are trying to kill a snake or show off."

Most snakes would rather slither away from humans than fight them. "Snakes don't perceive humans as food and they don't aggressively bite things out of malice. Their venom is used to subdue prey that would otherwise be impossible for a snake to eat," says Dion Wedd, curator of the Territory Wildlife Park, NT. "If their only escape route is past a human with a shovel, then they are likely to react in the only way they can."

Lastly, many people assume that smaller or baby snakes are somehow not venomous, or are less toxic than a fully grown adult. This is most certainly not true;

Baby Venomous snakes are harmless or less toxic than adults.
All venomous snakes, no matter the age or size have the exact same type of venom as their adult counterparts; the only difference is the quantity they carry and the ability for their smaller fangs to penetrate through thick skin. To assume any snake is harmless is in itself a very dangerous idea.

Source
Many people make this mistake. Many people also have the impression that some colourful snakes here, such as tree pythons are actually harmless. While some pythons are non-venomous, they can still bite, and can cause pain, swelling and nausea. In Australia many people often confuse lizards for small snakes, often coming in closer to see if the 'lizard' has no feet. By then, if a snake is spooked, they can turn and bite very quickly.

Lastly, never underestimate a snake's speed, especially when it feels it is threatened. They do tend to do their best to get away usually, but left with nowhere to go, a snake can turn on you, and very quickly. Best thing is, if the snake is heading in one direction to get away from you, go the other way. Quickly.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Agreed. Just leave them alone unless you are qualified to handle them and then only for relocation purposes. I heard once that up to 85 percent of rattlesnake bites occur on the hands because morons try and pick them up, much like this story. Haha

Also, you arent putting me off with the spider pics. Spiders are pretty awesome. We have some big colorful ones here too, but the rule of thumb is that if they hang webs in trees they are harmless. The ones to look out for are the ones that make funnels on the ground or in structures.

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It happened in Australia..

And, we can stop right there....

Want to survive? Don't go to AUSTRALIA!

Seriously, the top 10 most deadliest animals on any list, and probably EIGHT of the 10 will be found in Australia. Heck, stepping on a fish there can kill you in seconds.....

Deadliest.. Yes....

However, in a SHTF situation where there is no potential for medical treatment via anti-venom... every snake becomes the deadliest snake.

In the US:

Copperhead
Water Moccasin (aka Cotton Mouth)
Eastern Diamond Back
Western Diamond Back
Timber Rattle Snake
Coral Snake

You know what... The list is much longer... so here is a link to slithering death in the US.

Link to US Venomous Snakes

How about Europe?

Europe Snake list

----------------

Sure Australia has the deadliest.... but in SHTF I know I definitely wouldn't volunteer to be bitten by any of the above..
edit on 20-5-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join