It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storms that are sweeping the North American Coninent and then some.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I am wondering if others here are observing the current situation with storm fronts that cross North America?
Case in point is today's front that extended from South America to Ontario and almost Quebec.
These storms are getting longer and showing a much more pronounced bow in recent years if not months......
this is my opinion only but golly it is one big storm after another left and right now.

High winds that go from south to north to east to west all in a matter of hours.

We are talking major storms that years ago would have been in the news for weeks on end, now they don't even comment on them.

I watch the internet version of the weather now as I gave up the TV viewing years ago and have never looked back.

I hope you all are noticing these huge fronts sweeping across the Continent and then some as well.

Myself I am not educated in the weather field but I do have eyes:-)

Please post any and all thoughts ......good and critical are most welcome.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It has to do with the jet stream and how it is acting.

Two factors come into play.The Arctic Oscillation and the North Atlantic Oscillation.

Here is a little video to help explain it a little better.

climatecrocks.com...

The immediate cause was a natural climate fluctuation called the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO). The NAO switches between two states, and this winter (in its negative phase) saw a southward shift of the jet stream, bringing cold air over the UK from northern Europe and Russia. The Met Office identifies three other natural climate variations that may have made the negative NAO phase more likely. One is the recent behaviour of another natural climate fluctuation, called the Madden-Julian Oscillation ( MJO). It was particularly strong during late February and March – often a sign that a negative NAO is on the way. This winter also saw what’s called a Sudden Stratospheric Warming ( SSW) event, where winds in the stratosphere above the north pole reverse direction. This brought cold weather conditions to the UK. Finally, Europe’s climate is influenced by another natural climate system – the Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation ( AMO). While the influence on UK winters is unclear, the report suggests:

edit on 24-4-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for the video and thanks for posting, yep Ive been watching those spirals going and going and I have never seen this before. I mean they last forever and are screwing up Europe's weather beyond belief.

Yet none of this makes the major news channels?

Something to me looks contrived.....My opinion only though.

Regards Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

They,who ever they are,are in denial.The climate will be going through a cooling down period,not a warming.

“It is argued that amplification ofglobal warming over the Arctic is reducing the equator to pole temperature gradient, thereby weakening the strength of the mid-latitude jet streams.” This could allow cold Arctic air to push further south, over mid-latitude countries like the UK, and weather patterns could stay longer in one place. The possibility of a link between the Arctic and UK weather appears to be gaining scientific support, but the Met Office acknowledges it’s still an “area of ongoing research”. The Met Office has told us it’s holding an “ informal workshop” in the next two to three months for leading UK scientists plus several international experts.

climatecrocks.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I find the deep jet stream dip to be interesting for this late in April, but winter was late.

This could be just a normal abberation of weather patterns, or an indication that the north pole's ice is melting faster....don't know.

However, I did read that this year's hurricane season (June through November) is supposed to have a higher than normal amount of severe storms.

We shall see.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

WOW thanks for the information as you well know I did not have time to read the whole link but do appreciate what I did read.

Could you possibly post a picture of that front from the link you posted?

This is exactly what I am talking about and it is happening about 2 to three times a week now where I live and that is at the bottom of Lake Huron.

Very Violent storms with a heavy bow.......believe it or not as I post this we have snow falling.

Thanks and Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I find the deep jet stream dip to be interesting for this late in April, but winter was late.

This could be just a normal abberation of weather patterns, or an indication that the north pole's ice is melting faster....don't know.

However, I did read that this year's hurricane season (June through November) is supposed to have a higher than normal amount of severe storms.

We shall see.

Thanks for your input and thoughts, I have no idea of what is causing this but if you watch the weather radar and stay focused on the West Coast you can watch these mega fronts setting up as they happen.

First is a little interference then you will see some more obvious storm clouds forming.

Then you will see some more serious weather forming about mid way through North America, then it gets good as it forms into a front from South America to Canada and just marches to its own band.

It either bows to the East like a horse shoe or it bows to the West........same result for us here.

For the last few years even with a stone base for our umbrella which is very heavy, our umbrella wants to do the "Mary Poppins" and has done so to the point I have to go up on the roof and retrieve it.

My posts are all just personal observations but count on one thing.
I am in my mid 50's and born and raised and still live here in the same city.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes,I can.Here is the picture you asked for.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes,I can.Here is the picture you asked for.

I cannot thank you enough for doing that for me....
Much appreciated and now all can see just what is happening at least twice a week across this Continent.

Many many thanks.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that they have been naming these storms.I don't recall them doing that before.

During the 2012-2013 Winter Storm Season, The Weather Channel decided to name winter storms. This idea was first used by the Southern California Weather Authority, part of The Weather Space.com Networks. TheWeatherSpace.com will attempt to stop the channel from doing it again in the 2013-2014 season.

www.theweatherspace.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

What I find interesting is that they have been naming these storms.I don't recall them doing that before.

During the 2012-2013 Winter Storm Season, The Weather Channel decided to name winter storms. This idea was first used by the Southern California Weather Authority, part of The Weather Space.com Networks. TheWeatherSpace.com will attempt to stop the channel from doing it again in the 2013-2014 season.

www.theweatherspace.com...

To those whom happen to stumble across this rant that storm posted above would take about 6 or 7 days to drive at 8 hours a day driving at 60 MPH or 100KPM.....

Now you can appreciate just how big these buggers are.
So far I have seen two that have gone from south America to Norther Canada.

I must agree with Kdog that the naming of storms here other than Hurricanes is a new game.
I cannot believe they actually are naming non violent storms now but that is fact.

Prepping us early for ???????
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Naming these buggers is new indeed. Interesting to say the least.

A little shameless self promotion here:

Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns

A thread I did a while back and may have some bearing on the current discussion. If there are cyclic patterns to weather tied to the cyclic patterns of the sun (which only makes sense to me due to the fact that the sun is the major driving force in earth's wether), then we might be witnessing phenomena that have happened before but because of the advance of technology we are better able to grasp the wider picture.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Naming these buggers is new indeed. Interesting to say the least.

A little shameless self promotion here:

Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns

A thread I did a while back and may have some bearing on the current discussion. If there are cyclic patterns to weather tied to the cyclic patterns of the sun (which only makes sense to me due to the fact that the sun is the major driving force in earth's wether), then we might be witnessing phenomena that have happened before but because of the advance of technology we are better able to grasp the wider picture.

Thanks for your contribution and you link to your thread, not a problem actually its a big help.

I am still going through you thread link by link and this will definitely take some time, make no mistake I will read everything provided in your link to your thread.

Regards, iwinder

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Something to pay close attention to is the North Atlantic Oscillation.

TextStrong positive phases of the NAO tend to be associated with above-averagel temperatures in the eastern United States and across northern Europe and below-average temperatures in Greenland and oftentimes across southern Europe and the Middle East. They are also associated with above-average precipitation over northern Europe and Scandinavia in winter, and below-average precipitation over southern and central Europe. Opposite patterns of temperature and precipitation anomalies are typically observed during strong negative phases of the NAO. During particularly prolonged periods dominated by one particular phase of the NAO, anomalous height and temperature patterns are also often seen extending well into central Russia and north-central Siberia.

The NAO exhibits considerable interseasonal and interannual variability, and prolonged periods (several months) of both positive and negative phases of the pattern are common. The wintertime NAO also exhibits significant multi-decadal variability (Hurrell 1995, Chelliah and Bell 2005). For example, the negative phase of the NAO dominated the circulation from the mid-1950's through the 1978/79 winter. During this approximately 24-year interval, there were four prominent periods of at least three years each in which the negative phase was dominant and the positive phase was notably absent. In fact, during the entire period the positive phase was observed in the seasonal mean only three times, and it never appeared in two consecutive years.

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Although I'm getting a little tired of April showers...we've have 6 inches so far this month.....at least we're having rain in April for a change.....it's been years.
Spring is a bit late...but then, maybe I only think that is true.

Our weather has been weird for so long, I'm not sure I'd notice "normal"

We'll see what the rest of spring into summer does....I worry this is all the rain we'll see

As for naming those storm....

Waste of money, IMHO.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I think naming the storms added into the over-hyped drama factor.

More attention=more money.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
All that I know is the weather where I'm at is crazy changing. One day last week it was 80f then the next day it was in the 50's. the day after that it jumped up to the 70's.
Yesterday here it was up to 68 and now it's hovering in the upper 30's. We even had some snow flakes fall here and their today.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Something to pay close attention to is the North Atlantic Oscillation.

Good stuff and I have been following this North Atlantic Oscillation and I do believe this is what is screwing up Europe big time recently.

Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Our weather has been weird for so long, I'm not sure I'd notice "normal"

I agree with the above quote 100%

I also agree that the rain is nice and that our gardens are certainly perking up and the lawn looks good too.
So no complaints on that front......It may be different for other members here but we are on sand so what rain we do get does not last long.

It gets absorbed into the ground and goes right back to Lake Huron.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I think naming the storms added into the over-hyped drama factor.

More attention=more money.

You are correct, when I go out to snow blow our drive and walks I never think that I may be killing (Susan/Mike/Jennifer/Doug or any of their friends.)

I am simply removing snow not an entity which was created out of thin air.

Regards, iwinder

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join