It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why all the hate against Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I find that there are many people here who hate Christianity. I am interested as to why that is. I have a few ideas as to what the problem might be but I don't think much of anything that you could say would be a tenable defense of your hate for this religion. I hope we could have a discussion as to why some of you feel this way but I doubt if that is possible.

It does seem lot of Christians have made names for themselves being haters and being disrespectful. I have been mistreated by them for many years like some of you have. I can't imagine how they treat non-believers. Their behavior mostly is really pathetic and just a very few of them make any effort to live according to its teachings They are terrible hypocrites and liars.

At the same time, a lot of everyone does those same things and a few of the Christians really are decent people. But you have to find them because good people are always outnumbered by the bad, in any religion or country.

Christians also teach a lot of things that many unbelievers are unhappy about. I agree with you in some ways. The Bible doesn't teach a pre-tribulation rapture, a trinity, or an eternal hell. Christians get a lot of very basic facts wrong, mostly about science and different subjects, but even the basic facts of their own religion. Most of them like the promises of the religion but don't want to actually have to work for any of it. If they quote a few verses including John 1:1 and the Lord's prayer and can recite several lies the pastor tells that aren't in the Bible that makes them biblical experts in their minds (and saved).

After all that, I still revere this faith as being the true faith and Christ as the true Messiah. A lot of Christians make that a hard pill to swallow because of their arrogance but it doesn't invalidate it.

You who claim to hate this religion and its followers, what is it that makes you hate it so much?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
In my view I don't hate Christianity or any other religion in general. I'm skeptical of religion because of the ignorance of many believers. There are Christians that I do respect. Like my friend Luke who has always shown me respect. But the Christians who are against science, Pastors who screw average Christians for their money, etc. I can understand because Christianity is the largest religion in the world. As the entire Christian body is diverse. You'll find various churches with different teachers and adheres. Just as long as there are good and respectful Christians I'm happy with that.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I don't hate Christianity, I dislike organised religion in general, but Christianity a little more. It's because Christianity is based on fear and uses fear to control people. It teaches intolerance of people and ignorance of the world. It encourages arrogance and a very close-minded view of the Universe. Very often I find this reflected in Christians. It also denies who we are as human beings and teaches that it's wrong to have human desires. I don't think that's any way to live.
edit on 17-4-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
How about a Rain Check?

Let's de-escalate the religion, OK?

A little more science would go a long way around now, n'est-ce pa?

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I do not think most of us non believers hate christinaity, i as many others,
am simply tired of giving them special treatment just because they
want their imaginary friend to have special privileges, which amongst
other include getting out of paying taxes, churches should not be
tax exempt, and they also wish to dictate how others live their lives,
its none of their business, if they want to live by ridiculous, non moral,
bronze age teaching then fine but dont try to force others to do so and
for goodness sake stop indoctrinating children, that's just brain washing.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Pick up the book they use and read. And then you'll know.

The haters don't even know. But you will, if you read the book they use.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I don't hate Christianity, I was christened, I still believe in a god but if it's the god in the bible is another matter.....

I would rather believe in Christianity as a religion than another religion that spreads so much hate and intolerance of any other religion.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
People who hate people simply for their beliefs, are themselves ignorant.

But with religion, you cannot tell someone to believe otherwise.

Someone visiting Aus remarked recently about the recent cases of racist morons abusing people on public transport. Being from South Africa, he know about racism. But he said that he doesn't hate the people like that, he feels sorry for them.. They suffer from a sickness, and he tries, through humour, to change them for the better.

you can't do that with religion.

You can change a racists mindset... but a god botherer will always be in the right..

So I don't hate christians.. I am one. As long as my old mother is breathing I'll have to be. And she's not an evil hateful person. In her old age she's as dopey as ever but she's never hated someone for their beliefs.

It's the westboro's and the fred niles and those arrogant religious freaks that deserve the hate, not because of their beliefs, but because of their absolute stubborn inability to see things from a different perspective.

And it goes for all religions that place life on earth below life in heaven. The believers save up their earthly souls to spend eternity in paradise. Never living in one, nor existing in the other.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

It's the westboro's and the fred niles and those arrogant religious freaks that deserve the hate, not because of their beliefs, but because of their absolute stubborn inability to see things from a different perspective.

Westboro`s are a family of lawyers who use provocation to be assaulted etc so they can sue,its a scam.The media love to show them as Christians which further teaches others to hate Christians or deter anyone who may otherwise seek God/Christ for help/answers.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Westboro`s are a family of lawyers who use provocation to be assaulted etc so they can sue,its a scam.The media love to show them as Christians which further teaches others to hate Christians or deter anyone who may otherwise seek God/Christ for help/answers.

That may be true, but we've got our own sort down here, who like to protest with vitriol and accuse all and sundry of being a sinner.

Ha, one of the poor deluded souls is a transgendered male, who says that now he's found god, he's changed his mind and is embracing his sexuality - as god gave it to him. or her.

either way, the bigotry spills forth and regardless of their day jobs they do what they do for god.

maybe with the westboro cult they get bonuses if they're assaulted. makes them all the more pathetic, really.

edit on 17-4-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Maybe I`ve been fortunate enough to not have an encounter with those types down here,but I`ve seen the aftermath of a work friend of mine from the opposite perspective (who was Christian,very unpushy type),bashed and hospitalised when he went out with a small church group and witnessed to some guys outside of Hungry Jacks.I visited him in hospital and couldn`t recognise his face.This and many more,yet Christians deserve the hate is what I mostly hear.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

People who hate people simply for their beliefs, are themselves ignorant.

But with religion, you cannot tell someone to believe otherwise.

Someone visiting Aus remarked recently about the recent cases of racist morons abusing people on public transport. Being from South Africa, he know about racism. But he said that he doesn't hate the people like that, he feels sorry for them.. They suffer from a sickness, and he tries, through humour, to change them for the better.

you can't do that with religion.

You can change a racists mindset... but a god botherer will always be in the right..

So I don't hate christians.. I am one. As long as my old mother is breathing I'll have to be. And she's not an evil hateful person. In her old age she's as dopey as ever but she's never hated someone for their beliefs.

And it goes for all religions that place life on earth below life in heaven. The believers save up their earthly souls to spend eternity in paradise. Never living in one, nor existing in the other.

Winofiend i have been on this lovely blue marble for 51 years (sometimes younger if i forget lol) and i have never heard that put so well, if only we all where as wise as you the world might be a better place.
I'm also a christian and my father (mammy died when i was a baby) sent me to church every Sunday and like a good daughter i went it was Church of Ireland, well any hoo he died when i turned 18 and i stopped going to church but i stayed a christian and said my prayers every night and tried to be good to all my fellow man.

My aunt one Sunday took me to the Elm Church in Belfast and when i got outside i asked my aunt to show me the ministers car (not that i needed her to) and she pointed to a lovely big top of the range BMW and i said to her does he live down in York Road auntie "Oh no says she he lives up in the big houses on the Antrim road" well for me that was the end of that church and that is why i have stuck my knees to my bedroom floor, though now illness makes me do it in bed at times

I help anyone i can i don't hate i don't throw stones and my only down fall is that i love a wee ciggie when my daughter comes to see me, though iv'e told her she should stop lol.
As i said i look at the houses and cars these nice ministers own and if they have bangers like my wee C of I used to run about in i might stay for a while and listen to what this poor guy has to say but that's just maybe.

As for anyone who hates christian's i say let them as its not hurting me and i'm one, people will hate it's in our make up if we didn't hate then that means no wars, what would man do? Don't be a follower be yourself that's also in your DNA
be a christian if that's what you want to believe in and stick your middle finger up at anyone who tells you otherwise (but try to not to do that, it's naughty) or pretend your deaf and walk away.
edit on 17-4-2013 by ballymoney50 because: ,

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness123

"Why all the hate against Christianity?"

Well, it's been that way since day one. Jesus Himself said this would be so.

Real question... why are you surprised?
edit on 17-4-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to [url= by Witness123[/url]

"Why all the hate against Christianity?"

Well, it's been that way since day one. Jesus Himself said this would be so.

Real question... why are you surprised?
edit on 17-4-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

He merely knew his luck would one day run out and he'd encounter people that weren't ignorant peasants who would call him on his BS and like any good conman he included a get-out-of-jail card (while he didn't con for materiel goods, he did obtain a fair amount of power and influence amongst the said peasants before he was nailed).

A bit like the "a fool says there is no god" line...

edit on 17-4-2013 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

It does seem lot of Christians have made names for themselves being haters and being disrespectful. I have been mistreated by them for many years like some of you have. I can't imagine how they treat non-believers. Their behavior mostly is really pathetic and just a very few of them make any effort to live according to its teachings They are terrible hypocrites and liars.

Yes ^. That's why some want that kind of Christianity to go away. It's that behavior that is reprehensible.

The answer to your OP title/question seems obvious, you answered it yourself.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Agreed. The OP answered the question.

I TOTALLY support the first amendment right to practice the religion of one's choice, UNTIL it starts trampling on the rights of others.

To use the legal system to discriminate against others is, IMO, a good reason to dislike someone. I don't HATE Christianity. My mother was a VERY good Christian and taught me love, acceptance and empathy. Today, I see very little teaching from Christians in that realm. Today, the Church teaches people to hate, fight, fear, exclude and force others. It seems like they're trying to "take over" and have the country run according to scriptures, which would deny all other religions, not to mention the non-religious. They have no respect for others.

And I really get tired of people trying to "save" me. If I tell them I'm atheist and not interested, then THEY hate ME.

Practice your religion all you want, just leave me out of it.
Don't force it on the schools, don't force it in the legislature and don't be so damn hateful yourself and you'll receive MUCH less hatred in return..,

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Reason and the love of truth are the forces that makes men hate lies. It doesn't stop at Christianity.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Christian Minister: Many American Christian Leaders Are Authoritarian Bullies
An article from alternet, but originally from a third site called 'Consortium News". The Rev. Howard Bess wrote it.

“The Bible says…”is the sledge hammer of Protestant Christianity.

The message is all too plain: Get in line or you are headed for punishment, rejection or even Hell. It is the ultimate bullying tool because it is difficult for a parishioner to out-gun a holy god who has spoken with finality and without error.

Dynamic and authoritarian preachers are especially good at Bible rhetoric that is calculated intimidation. Preachers may be the most skilled persons in our society in the practice of bullying.

And then there are the creeds, which were originally devised to force conformity to Christian belief. The creeds of Christianity have been and are regularly used as the club for bullying.

Again, the message is clear: Agree or be denied ordination; agree or be silenced; agree or be censored; disagree and be labeled a heretic and be excommunicated.

And for emphasis, here is the sentence that precedes the above thoughts. Remember, the author is a Minister himself:

I cringe every time I hear preachers and devout Christians declare “The Bible says…” Rarely do they identify the author or the circumstance of the passage to which they refer.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Let me start with a little personal info. I know what a lot of you have experienced at the hands of Christians because I have experienced it to. I have literally been called out as demon possessed in front of the church. I am for all intents and purposes a heretic. I have been regarded as a blasphemer, bent towards evil, people have rebuked me in Jesus' name, and they have lied so many times to me it would make most politicians blush. I war against them and they war against me. I hate their lies like many of you hate their lies. But I still will not compromise on principle because I am against those in my camp. I have to work my best to bring as many of them over to my side which is about liberalism and tolerance as I can and the rest I will leave to their own devices.

So by all means, lynch them, but do not lynch me because I share the name Christian with them. My office is vastly supreme to probably anyone you have ever spoken to (or anyone that I have determined) and so my gospel does not resemble theirs much because I was several degrees closer to the Source than most of them.

The replies...

Originally posted by surfin4it
How about a Rain Check?

Let's de-escalate the religion, OK?

A little more science would go a long way around now, n'est-ce pa?

How about this. You go post in another forum that isn't explicitly named "Religion..." if it bothers you that much. Thank you.

Originally posted by SpearMint
...I dislike organised religion in general, but Christianity a little more. It's because Christianity is based on fear and uses fear to control people. It teaches intolerance of people and ignorance of the world. It encourages arrogance and a very close-minded view of the Universe. Very often I find this reflected in Christians. It also denies who we are as human beings and teaches that it's wrong to have human desires. I don't think that's any way to live..

It will help you to understand that by comparing it to a functional or a structural disease. Functional would be that disease which is not evident upon examination of the many structures of the body and cells that any disease existed in the person. That is, there is no biological imprint that a disease is present. Structural disease is just the opposite.

Look at your statement that it "teaches intolerance," it "encourages arrogance," and close-mindedness among other things. What you're seeing as an apparent disorder in church government that is functional in nature, there is no structural abnormality in the core tenets of the faith. There is a disconnect in fact between the profession of faith and the practice of faith. Everyone jumps on board with the moral tenets and idea of loving thy neighbor, etc, etc, but what we all find is for all that jumped on board with it, maybe 1% actually did it.

What the faith clearly teaches is not being preached or lived according to by those who advocate for it. Structurally, I hope you can see, there is nothing wrong with the teachings of this religion, whereas functionally, the problem exists in its practical application.

Bloodreviara (I will not quote so much in this post as it is discouraged generally).

"...I do not think most of us non believers hate christinaity, i as many others, am simply tired of giving them special treatment just because they want their imaginary friend to have special privileges, which amongst other include getting out of paying taxes, churches should not be tax exempt..."

I do not believe they should be tax exempt either. And neither should any atheist groups that take donations in order to advance an anti-religious agenda through filing frivolous lawsuits, which is mostly all "atheist rights" groups are. No one united under a religious cause, even anti-religious, should not pay taxes. A lot of churches like to pass around petitions to send to their congressman about not voting for this increase in taxes or preach Sunday about why God is a supply-side trickle-down Reagnomocist and how you are damned if you disagree.

Guess what. Jesus is against all that crap too. You and many of the other unbelievers in this thread are siding with Jesus on this one as much as you hate to admit it.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
"...for goodness sake stop indoctrinating children, that's just brain washing."

A careful examination of history would show that if at least not since the beginning of organized education it was inevitable, at least in our time it is inevitable that education is only accomplished through brainwashing (by today's methodology).

I would go so far as to say that everyone is agreed on indoctrination, but what we should be indoctrinating with is the thing disputed. Should we indoctrinate an uncritical view Darwin or creationism? Do we indoctrinate in pledging allegiance to the flag (but then you have parents that are sharing their political beliefs to children at an age that can hardly understand the concepts not to pledge allegiance)? Both of those are brainwashing because in the latter case you're prejudicing a child into a skeptical view of the American experiment before he can think critically and come to some sort of decision on his own. All it amounts to is if you choose to pedge then do, if not then you shouldn't be interfered with. Also, the phrase the victors write the history. In America, what that means is socialists who control the educational system teach contrary to constitutional republicanism and anti-religious sentiments while concurrently teaching the children how this faulty system defeated Communism in the Cold War. You have colleges like Hillsdale which teach the zombies on the far right, and then you have places like Brown or UC-Santa Barbera to teach the zombies on the left. We have crash courses in Communism and we have crash courses in constitutional conservatism which Ron Paul has recently been promoting.

Guess wha? All of it is propaganda and indoctrination, at least in our current educational system. What irks you is that your version of history isn't being presented on a wide enough scale for your liking so you paint the opposition as ignorant, backwoods homeschoolers that are the threat to the future of this country.

I've got an idea, how about classical liberal education and let's not teach facts, but investigation for oneself coupled with the critical and logical reasoning skills to form one's own opinions and conclusions? Dysgenic effects and social engineering precluded/precludes this (I know, but only as a dream system of education).

Benevolent Heretic

"And I really get tired of people trying to "save" me. If I tell them I'm atheist and not interested, then THEY hate ME."

As long as you're not being ridiculous I can't see why they would do that. What they should do is remand you back to God and go on to the next taker.

For all of you that think that their are so many lies in Christianity, there are. The Bible on the other hand is an accurate book, if only Christians would teach according to it! But they don't. The crap you're calling out might be crap after all but the divide is further widened by the Christians who insist on teaching their lies and the skeptics who are intent on believing anything contrary to what Christians say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join