It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something large in Loch Ness on Google Earth Online - Nessie?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Yes, I know there are other threads, but this isn't that picture. I was playing around with Google Earth Online, showing the kids different places; places we have lived and been, famous places, etc. We got around to Loch Ness, and, of course, I started scanning the satellite view for Nessie. I didn't really expect to see anything but boat wakes, and did spot several small spots that are probably just that. To my surprise, I DID see something else, though. I located, along the eastern shore, something rather long and serpentine-looking. It does NOT look like a boat wake (seen plenty of those in other lakes on there...), and it is too big to be a log. I took a screen shot, so you can see it:

The coordinates on Google Earth Online (link) are:

latitude: 57°10'25.8"
longitude: 4°36'54.1"

It's near the southern end, a bit N/NW of Loch Tarff. Now, we don't have enough resolution to say this is, for certain, Nessie, but it is big, it isn't a wake (no water trails at either end), it's too big to be a log, and it looks serpentine. I know many reports are of something with a heavier body, but some are something long and thinner. From the many descriptions, if all were real, there would have to be more than one sort of "monster" in the loch!

So, opinions? Thought? Ramblings? Please, to be clear, state your opinion on the whole idea of lake monsters in general, and this one in particular, along with whatever you think of this pic. Feel free to be skeptical; just play nice. Otherwise, I might have to sic my sea monster on you.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I took another screen shot, from farther up, so you can get a better idea of the size:

In any case, the online version is free to use.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Looks like a wave to me. Nessie is usually reported to be Pleiosaur-like.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I thought nessie was a Plesiosaurus? They're about 5 metres long, and that thing looks awful skinny, how long is that in your image?

Originally posted by GeeBee

you beat me :p
edit on 6-4-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I've heard rumors that there are also giant eels in that lake. I think it makes a lot of sense, more than nessie anyhow.
edit on 6-4-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeeBee

I have looked at a lot of waves, in other lakes, and don't see any that look so snake-like.

Originally posted by Lysergic

I thought nessie was a Plesiosaurus? They're about 5 metres long, and that thing looks awful skinny, how long is that in your image?

Well, MANY reports describe something more like that, but there have also been some of long, thinner things, moving in that fashion that seems to make "humps". Many believe there is more than one sort of creature there.

Interesting thing, though.....

I was looking around the coordinates for the image in this article (and others):
link, talked about here - ATS page - and several other threads on site. Funny thing, though.....I get in about the right location, and when I zoom in, those closer images are GONE. There is a big white band on the lake. Above it is there close-up. Below it is there close-up. THAT particular area, that got so much attention? GONE. Most curious.

As far as size goes, it's hard to say. Based on the trees on shore, I would guesstimate (and wow, spell check didn't protest that...) something of at least 40-50 feet long. JUST a guess.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
It could be the crest of nessies backbone and tail...

just saying.

although it does look rather large compared to my "scale perception"(i have nothing to base this on) of the pic.

Then again it could be photoshoped

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
maybe it's the ogopogo from lake okanogan mating with that lil nessie....deep under water cave's?

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I've heard rumors that there are also giant eels in that lake. I think it makes a lot of sense, more than nessie anyhow.
edit on 6-4-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

A giant eel would explain SOME sightings. Giant SOMETHING, in any case!

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
It could be the crest of nessies backbone and tail...

just saying.

although it does look rather large compared to my "scale perception"(i have nothing to base this on) of the pic.

Then again it could be photoshoped

All we have for scale is the trees. You can see this for yourself, though, on the link I posted in the first post. Head up the eastern shore, from the south end, a bit N/NW of Lake Tarff. Get the coordinates something close to what I posted, and zoom in. You can see it clearly. If there is any photo editing, it's on the part of the website.

Crest of a back and tail.....that would be one BIG lake monster!

Still find it interesting that the other pic, from that article, isn't there in close up mode now.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

tis no rumor...yes they are big and electric too

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
reply to post by DaRAGE

tis no rumor...yes they are big and electric too

Ah, but are they as big as that thing in the pic? Look in post #2, for some shoreline to show scale. That would be one really SCARY eel!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Scanning around more on the site, at the lake, I noticed several more bands where the zoomed in pics are flat gone. Seems like a lot of missing footage for one place, doesn't it? What are they trying to hide???

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

it lacks flippers so if it is nessie I guess it would have to be an eel like what people here are suggesting. of it is a wave, log or something else. I have heard of other google earth nessie sighting though.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

As far as size goes, it's hard to say. Based on the trees on shore, I would guesstimate (and wow, spell check didn't protest that...) something of at least 40-50 feet long. JUST a guess.

The coordinates indicate a length equal to 1 latitudinal second of arc, which would be 100 ft.

So, 100 ft long and about 3 ft wide. Nessie is a bit anorexic these days. Going for the supermodel look, I suppose.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Maybe it's some kind of net from a fish farm or something? I would love it to be a creature though

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Very unlikely to be a plessiosaurs, a zeuglodon, or a fish. Btw, there are reports of plessiosaurs not only on loch ness, but on other lakes around Loch ness as well, but the monsters have different names.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey9438

it lacks flippers so if it is nessie I guess it would have to be an eel like what people here are suggesting. of it is a wave, log or something else. I have heard of other google earth nessie sighting though.

If an eel, it would have to me massively HUGE. I thought about a wave, but there are plenty of those in that lake, and many others, and this doesn't look like them. They tend to be thinner in places, more "jagged" looking, and less snake-like in appearance. Definitely NOT a plesiosaur or relative. Still, with descriptions over the years of varied types of odd creatures, this is intriguing.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

The coordinates indicate a length equal to 1 latitudinal second of arc, which would be 100 ft.

So, 100 ft long and about 3 ft wide. Nessie is a bit anorexic these days. Going for the supermodel look, I suppose.

Appreciated! I am not really up on getting size from the coordinates, been way too long since I did anything like that with a map. 100 feet....wow. Definitely something more eel- or snake-like, but still, that's BIG.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHammondStoat

Maybe it's some kind of net from a fish farm or something? I would love it to be a creature though

I thought about that, but we don't have enough resolution to be sure. I would expect to see something more irregular from a net, with some vague areas at the edges.

Originally posted by Frocharocha
Very unlikely to be a plessiosaurs, a zeuglodon, or a fish. Btw, there are reports of plessiosaurs not only on loch ness, but on other lakes around Loch ness as well, but the monsters have different names.

Well, the shape is all wrong for a plesiosaur sort (unlike that other cool one, from a couple of years ago, which you can't see in the online version now. I have read a TON of reports of the plesiosaur types, from all over, and also many reports of more serpent-like creatures, very large. If this is a creature, it would have to be the latter type.

<<   2  3 >>

join