It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexual marriage is a Right, why can't I have multiple wives? (Being Serious NO CAT TALK)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You wanted me to be serious, now I'm being serious since my OP got moved to the trash. If homosexual marriage is a US right, or SHOULD be a US right according to some. Why can't marriage between multiple consenting adults be legal? Why would I, or Mormons, or whoever, be they individuals, a religion, or a community have to move to Mexico or Canada to practicae polygamy? If we are going to break down the original institution of marriage then why can't I have sister wives in all seriousness? If I can care and provide for them, then why should it be illegal because my same rights are being violated as the rights of homosexuals that want to get married.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I support the right to polygamy marriage. But responsibility comes before marriage. Same with being a parent. Prepared for anything so you have a better chance of being successful.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

You can have as many partners as you want right now. There is nothing against the law about having multiple sex partners.

Technically you can enter into spiritual marriage with them as well (I think that is still against the law in Utah though for political reasons).

Your multiple wives would just not have the same legal benefits, because the legal benefits only effect two individuals.

+38 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

As far as I am concerned you can have as many wives as you would like- that is if you can afford them. I don't want my tax dollars paying for your 112 kids. Other than that it's not my business.

+38 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Jeez man, one wife was enough for me to put up with.. Why in the hell would you want multiple ones?

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

King Solomon of the Bible had 100's of wives and concubines!

Take your issue up with religion and society!

Religion has taken a stand on things that were permitted by their God and now say they are wrong, while chastising those who believe differently!

Your issue is either due to your homophobic fears OR your blind obedience to a religion whom has proved its hypocrisy thru it's current enforcement of beliefs!
edit on 27-3-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
You wanted me to be serious, now I'm being serious since my OP got moved to the trash. If homosexual marriage is a US right, or SHOULD be a US right according to some. Why can't marriage between multiple consenting adults be legal? Why would I, or Mormons, or whoever, be they individuals, a religion, or a community have to move to Mexico or Canada to practice polygamy? If we are going to break down the original institution of marriage then why can't I have sister wives in all seriousness? If I can care and provide for them, then why should it be illegal because my same rights are being violated as the rights of homosexuals that want to get married.

Marriage is a contract. We have the natural right to make any contract we want.

Stop receiving benefits and you won't have any problem marrying whomever.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I've got no problem with either really.
I do have a problem with religion brainwashing people into accepting polygamy, but if that is someone's free will then who am I to say they can't?

What annoys me is that people think it's a more important societal issue to let gay people marry, than it is to do something about the prison industrial complex. That's just misplaced priorities imo.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You would get too many federal benefits. I don't really know. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Polygamy has a huge tradition throughout history and obviously still exists in the mid east and in the U.S. I've seen several shows with men with multiple wives. They seemed happy. It's not my place to take away someone's happiness. If it works, it works. All consenting adults should do what they want. Emphasis on consenting adults of the human variety only.

link   
If I am rich enough to support my sister wives, then why can't they split all my money 3 ways when they get sick and divorce me?
Or why can't all three of them make a decision to pull the plug on me when I'm in the hospital or visit me when I'm dying or be the beneficiaries on my life insurance plan etc...? Why can't we have triads etc with the same benefits that homosexuals get to enjoy?

link   
I don't have a problem with it.

Muslims still do this. Their rule is, if they want more than one wife, the original wife must be okay with the decision, and she must okay each additional wife. They must get along. Also, the husband must be financially able to support each wife that he marries.

Perhaps the US should re-examine its ban against polygamy. It's okay by me.....but if my husband asks for another wife, my answer is no.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why would anyone want more than one wife? Masochist? Glutton for punishment?

The LGBT (or w/e the correct acronym is) have it MADE right now, why do they want to fark up the works and get married? LORD they are dumb!

Just like broads looking to be frontline soldiers. DUMB.

Derek

+38 more 
link   
@legal benefits of marriage.

There shouldn't be any extras for people just because they are married.
It's discriminatory against single folks.

link   

Because it is exactly the opposite of what a marriage does. A marriage commits two people to each other in a legally binding way. Polygamy does not. And no, before you "seriously" ask, you cannot marry a child or your dog either.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Sorry could not resist

You cannot have multiple wives because.....well can you imagine "that time of the month" with 10 wives? No thanks. You are just being greedy what would you need more than one partner for? It would turn into a Jerry Springer episode in your house hold.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I suppose you can't have multiple wives because the marriage laws were written up by people who followed a particular version of the religious cult that formed so many of the laws in the west.

The only downside I can see for you is all those mothers in law. I've only got one and she's like a cross between Hitler and Satan so I can't imagine why anyone would run the risk of extras.

Start a campaign for your right to marry as many times as you wish. When you get enough support the law will change to reflect that.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The op has asked a question as to why marriage between multiple consenting adults be legal in the USA.

There are 2 reason for such, and these have been around for a while.

The first goes back to the 1878 case, Reynolds V. United States, where it was debated and first challenged in court and then determined by the Supreme Court of the United States of America, that such was not allowable by the laws of the USA, nor was it covered by the Constitution of the USA.

In that case the Court determined that all of the bigamy laws were very much with in the frame work, and that the religion was not a valid excuse for such.

The other being the laws against bigamy which forbid for a person to marry more than one person, have been on the books for a long time.

The challenges to allow for such, would not be as it is with gay marriage, rather it would be to first remove the laws that criminalize it in the first place, then to move towards acceptance. All 50 states have laws that forbid bigamy currently on the books, so it would be a daunting challenge.

There is your answer as to why it is one and not the other, cause gay marriage has not been through the courts and poligamy has been.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

See a fair argument this time.

Honestly I have no objections to polygamous marriage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join