It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California County official not only gets paid $423,000 a year, but will also receive same for life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Alameda County, like many other counties in CA, is facing a multimillion-dollar deficit. That's part of the reason taxpayers are stunned; not only by the administrator's current salary, but also because she'll earn that amount long after she leaves this office.

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The salary and benefits package of a high ranking Alameda County official is turning some heads. County Administrator Susan Muranishi gets over $420,000 in pay and benefits, and she'll continue to receive that for the rest of her life.

According to state records, Muranishi makes a base salary of nearly $302,000. But with more than $121,000 in other compensation, including equity and longevity pay, a performance bonus, and car allowance among other things, her annual salary now tops $423,000. That's the highest for any county administrator in California.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the 63-year-old administrator is guaranteed basically the same amount of money, more than $400,000 per year, in retirement for life.

Alameda County administrator to retire with over $420K yearly

blog.sfgate.com...

The number of officials in bankrupt counties that are paid astronomical salaries seems to be a reoccurring theme in California.

Doesn't sound like they have the citizens interest at heart, only the money that they receive to line their pockets and make their savings grow.

---------------

Did a quick search and didn't see this........please remove if there already is a thread.

ETA: Found this thread listed under a differently worded title...........remove mine if needed.

edit on 27-3-2013 by snarky412 because: ooops....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
And you wonder why government agencies are having such a Hard time with finances and the economy?

Let me put it to you this way, .. . Say you own a hamburger shop. You employ 5 people. Those 5 people work for you for 30 years. When those people retire and draw a pension off of you, you have to pay their salaries PLUS the salaries of the people who will replace them. If you did the math correctly you will find that you now have to charge $200.00 for a hamburger just to pay everyone’s salaries.

Most certainly you are saying that would Never happen. Who in their right mind would even consider paying a pension from the proceeds of a Hamburger Shop?

Can you see how messed up that sounds? WE are doing that to OURSELVES. . .. . WE ARE THE HAMBEGER SHOP ! ! ! And Now we have to charge OURSELVES $200.00 for a Damn Hamburger.

In retrospect, WE had better increase our tax revenue to pay for those pensions.

If that woman draws on a pension for 20-30 years, her potential income will be between 10 to 15 MILLION Dollars.
FOR DOING NOTHING.

ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING.

Can you see what the Government is doing to OUR Hamburger Shop? . .. .. .

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Dear sanrky412,

So you do not believe in merit pay? I am always confused by people who are against merit pay. This lady worked in County government for almost 40 years, do you really think she took her first job thinking she would make so much? Heck, we pay CEOs of banks and bankrupt companies millions in bonuses. What are you arguing for?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear sanrky412,

So you do not believe in merit pay? I am always confused by people who are against merit pay. This lady worked in County government for almost 40 years, do you really think she took her first job thinking she would make so much? Heck, we pay CEOs of banks and bankrupt companies millions in bonuses. What are you arguing for?

The fact that the county is bordering on bankrupt and here she is getting paid like Wall Street ......
Maybe try asking that question to one of the many locals that are outraged by this fact.

The officials can't manage their towns but they sure know how to manage their bank accounts.
That's whats wrong with this picture.
They can find cuts every where except when it comes to their own salaries.
Kinda like Congress....

edit on 27-3-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Dear snarky412,

I read what you posted in your OP. Answer my simple question, do you believe in merit pay, do you believe in capitalism? Simple questions, not tricky. Say what you believe and I will say what I believe.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Dear snarky412,

I read what you posted in your OP. Answer my simple question, do you believe in merit pay, do you believe in capitalism? Simple questions, not tricky. Say what you believe and I will say what I believe.

I'm not the one that wrote the article, which there are numerous articles on this topic, claiming disdain from people all over.

I have no problem with a decent salary when it can be afforded and if it's deserved.
But I do have a problem when officials are given raises that should not or can not be afforded.

It all depends on the city [area] and the money it can afford to pay out.
I know many people who work at one place for that many years that never will see over $50 or $60,000 much less $400,000......and in an area that truly can't sustain that kind of expense is ridiculous.
And if the reg. people get $1500 in retirement, they are lucky. Just regular working folks, not city officials.

A lot of what is happening in California is mismanagement of funds, which extravagant salaries falls under that.
Common sense any more is being thrown out the window.
If one can't afford their bills, you have to cut back some where......including taking pay cuts.

One California city after another—following a decade-long spree of ramping up public-employee pay and pension benefits, as well as redevelopment debt—are becoming insolvent.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Dear snarky412.

I don't care who wrote the articles, I asked what you think, answer for you. It does not even matter to me what your answer is, just be truthful. Do you believe in merit pay? Next one is also simple, do you believe in capitalism. Two questions, both are simple. You can reply honestly or attempt to be evasive. Pick.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Dear snarky412.

I don't care who wrote the articles, I asked what you think, answer for you. It does not even matter to me what your answer is, just be truthful. Do you believe in merit pay? Next one is also simple, do you believe in capitalism. Two questions, both are simple. You can reply honestly or attempt to be evasive. Pick.

Man are you pushy.....

I don't like to 'label' things and I told you how I felt.

I believe if a person is worthy of their title and they are worth the pay, then yes, by all means.
However, when a situation is as gloomy as things are today, people need to stop being selfish and think of others, not just their wallets and needs.

Many officials don't care about what is going on around them and are disconnected from the real world, and that ticks many people off, including myself.

Maybe you can understand this:
My brother is self-employed and has 6 employees.
A year ago, when things got tough, instead of laying his workers off, he laid himself off, no pay, until things got better, which they did.

You will never, ever see any government/city official do that.
Many people, such as myself, have a hard time wondering why these officials can't see that a large part of the financial problem is of their own creation.
None ever volunteer to take a pay cut. Nor will they.

I'm sorry if you still don't have the answer you are seeking, but I don't know how else to explain it.
I don't use 'labels' or 'titles' because there is always that gray area in between that doesn't mesh.

----------------------------

There are many variants of capitalism in existence that differ according to country and region. They vary in their institutional makeup and by their economic policies. The common features among all the different forms of capitalism is that they are based on the production of goods and services for profit, predominately market-based allocation of resources, and they are structured upon the accumulation of capital. The major forms of capitalism are listed below:

Mercantilism
Free-market capitalism
Social-market economy
State capitalism
Corporate capitalism
Mixed economy

Other variants of capitalism include:
Anarcho-capitalism
Crony capitalism
Finance capitalism
Financial capitalism
Late capitalism
Neo-capitalism
Post-capitalism
Technocapitalism
Welfare capitalism

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not as simple as 'yes' or 'no' in my opinion.
Too much gray area........

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Dear snarky412,

Man are you pushy..... I don't like to 'label' things and I told you how I felt. I believe if a person is worthy of their title and they are worth the pay, then yes, by all means. However, when a situation is as gloomy as things are today, people need to stop being selfish and think of others, not just their wallets and needs. Many officials don't care about what is going on around them and are disconnected from the real world, and that ticks many people off, including myself. Maybe you can understand this: My brother is self-employed and has 6 employees. A year ago, when things got tough, instead of laying his workers off, he laid himself off, no pay, until things got better, which they did. You will never, ever see any government/city official do that. Many people, such as myself, have a hard time wondering why these officials can't see that a large part of the financial problem is of their own creation. None ever volunteer to take a pay cut. Nor will they. I'm sorry if you still don't have the answer you are seeking, but I don't know how else to explain it. I don't use 'labels' or 'titles' because there is always that gray area in between that doesn't mesh.

Again more vagueness and deceitfulness from you, you attempt to make both answer while contradicting yourself. Either you believe in merit pay or you do not, either you believe i capitalism or you do not. Yes and no work as answers. You wish people to work for free and entrepreneurs to make all the money. You wish to have a society where there the gamblers make all the money. Your brother chose to gamble and should be rewarded for such a thing.

As for your comment regarding government officials, it is simply wrong and ill informed. I have known many people that worked for the government for free because they wanted to make a difference. Do you believe in truthfulness and meeting your obligations, probably not. The lady in question met her obligations and was made certain promises, if you believe in capitalism then you might assume that you have to meet your promises. She did, shouldn't Alameda County>

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by AQuestion

Do you work for the City of Palmdale or something?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Again more vagueness and deceitfulness from you, you attempt to make both answer while contradicting yourself. Either you believe in merit pay or you do not, either you believe i capitalism or you do not. Yes and no work as answers. You wish people to work for free and entrepreneurs to make all the money. You wish to have a society where there the gamblers make all the money. Your brother chose to gamble and should be rewarded for such a thing.

As for your comment regarding government officials, it is simply wrong and ill informed. I have known many people that worked for the government for free because they wanted to make a difference. Do you believe in truthfulness and meeting your obligations, probably not. The lady in question met her obligations and was made certain promises, if you believe in capitalism then you might assume that you have to meet your promises. She did, shouldn't Alameda County>

Wow, you didn't read a word I said.
I was straight forward, not vague or deceitful.
I just didn't give you the answer you were looking for.
There is no 'easy' short answer as far as I'm concerned.

Please read the previous comment I posted due to the fact I added to it.

That's great that you think it's wonderful that she gets paid more than the county can afford.
That's just fabulous.....

I'm sure the tax payers agree with you too.
Maybe a little over board but hey, she earned it!!
To hell if they go bankrupt, oh well.
She was worth every penny.
So much so that the economy there is wonderful !!
[/sarcasm]

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by AQuestion

Do you work for the City of Palmdale or something?

LMAO..........

I do believe so.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Reply to post by snarky412

I honestly have no idea, which is why I am asking. He has defended CALPERS pension programs in the past, even for bankrupt cities, so it makes me wonder.

Consistency is a good thing, though.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Dear snarky412,

Man are you pushy..... I don't like to 'label' things and I told you how I felt. I believe if a person is worthy of their title and they are worth the pay, then yes, by all means. However, when a situation is as gloomy as things are today, people need to stop being selfish and think of others, not just their wallets and needs. Many officials don't care about what is going on around them and are disconnected from the real world, and that ticks many people off, including myself. Maybe you can understand this: My brother is self-employed and has 6 employees. A year ago, when things got tough, instead of laying his workers off, he laid himself off, no pay, until things got better, which they did. You will never, ever see any government/city official do that. Many people, such as myself, have a hard time wondering why these officials can't see that a large part of the financial problem is of their own creation. None ever volunteer to take a pay cut. Nor will they. I'm sorry if you still don't have the answer you are seeking, but I don't know how else to explain it. I don't use 'labels' or 'titles' because there is always that gray area in between that doesn't mesh.

So basically you don't give a damn what happens to a county or their people as long as the officials get paid.
To hell with the working class....
Even if the pay is known to be out of sight for a struggling county.

Okay, good to know.
We know where you stand.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Reply to post by snarky412

I honestly have no idea, which is why I am asking. He has defended CALPERS pension programs in the past, even for bankrupt cities, so it makes me wonder.

Consistency is a good thing, though.

Hmmm....
I know he's giving me a hard time because I refuse to answer 'yes' or 'no' to a question that can not be easily answered that way. Or at least to me, any way.
It's a very complex topic, Capitalism, and the definition over time has varied as shown in my previous quote.
Too much gray area in between to just give a flippant answer to, IMO.
Can't please every body I guess. Oh well....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   

So you do not believe in merit pay?

Yes....but I wish teachers, police, firemen, etc. were paid like her.
As I'm sure they do too.... unfortunately, they're not.
They are the ones that help educate, shape and maintain a city.

It still seems a little pricey for a county that is bordering on being bankrupt, IMO.

Your brother chose to gamble and should be rewarded for such a thing.

No, my brother chose to do the honorable thing.......because he has character and puts others before himself.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Hmmmmm.....getting ready to retire soon you say? I wonder where I'd have to go to apply for the position of her replacement? The hubby is in Alameda right now......maybe I should pop in for a visit.....

You know snarky, with that big of a salary I'm sure I would be allotted a "six figure" executive assistant. Be expecting my call!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Local politics, much like the national level, is rife with corruption. I would not be at all surprised if this woman has some real dirt on some big players, used as leverage (blackmail) to get a salary and pension like this. How else could it be explained?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Heck, we pay CEOs of banks and bankrupt companies millions in bonuses. What are you arguing for?

We do not pay the CEO's of banks. They pay themselves. And it should stop!!!! Just like the practice of paying some politician a lifetime salary should stop. Bankers and Politicians are scum who work for themselves and nobody else.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Wow, you didn't read a word I said.
I was straight forward, not vague or deceitful.
I just didn't give you the answer you were looking for.
There is no 'easy' short answer as far as I'm concerned.

Please read the previous comment I posted due to the fact I added to it.

That's great that you think it's wonderful that she gets paid more than the county can afford.
That's just fabulous.....

I'm sure the tax payers agree with you too.
Maybe a little over board but hey, she earned it!!
To hell if they go bankrupt, oh well.
She was worth every penny.
So much so that the economy there is wonderful !!
[/sarcasm]

Accuse me of whatever you want and avoid having a real conversation. She took jobs for which she was promised compensation, she did her job and wants to retire and now you want to change what she was promised. How is that fair? Either you believe in capitalism or you do not, either you believe that governments should keep their commitments or you do not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join