It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Items You May Need to Bug Out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Some of the recent threads have got me thinking, and one main thing for me, is that my trip home, in a SHTF scenario, is a bit trickier than most, as I basically have to cross a bridge (or one of three different bridges), no matter which route I take home. These aren't small distances either, a little over 3 miles.

Originally, I was thinking I'd simply walk over the bridge, as traffic is likely to be snarled across them. However, in thinking about it....I'd then have to deal with many others trying to get home, tempers flaring, people wanting what's in my BOB, etc. So, it hit me...

Why not have an inflatable raft in the truck? They are about $50 (with oars), and I could use a pump that plugs into my lighter socket to inflate it. So, I drive to get as close to the bridge as I can, and once I hit the traffic jam, I blow up the raft, and simply take the water route across the bay instead.... This would save me from having to deal with others on the way home....or at least minimize it. The idea just might save my life... Can you imagine crossing a 3 mile bridge on foot, with bumper to bumper folks in a SHTF scenario with all kinds of goodies on your back? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So, what kind of unusual item may you need to get home?

edit on 26-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
OP, the waters might be a little rough to cross depending on the day, especially ocean bay waters can turn on you quick.... It could be deadly so weighing that option would need A LOT of thinking.. Could you describe if this is like lake water, moving current river, ect...? I get the impression it is a bay.. The raft would have to be dead last ditch effort... A strange bug out bag thing I use is floss, I always carry floss with me..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
A good way to get from one place to another quickly (assuming no vehicles) is kiteboarding. I know this is ridiculous as you are advertising where you are, but it would be fun and quick, or do it at night with nightvision goggles.

Sorry, the kid in me is trying to figure out ways to get around on the prairies.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

It isn't that rough of water most of the time. A lot of the bridge is barely above the water, so it keeps the water fairly calm. People kayak there all the time.

My traffic home is pretty bad normally, so in a SHTF scenario, I imagine the bridges will be parking lots. The last thing I'd want to do is leave my truck, but needs must when the devil drives.... Getting home would be more important. I'm ok trying alternate routes, but then if I have to abandon, even further to walk....as going around the bridges is adding a LOT of miles to the trip.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The weird thing that I have is a small piece of glass wrapped in multiple layers of duct tape. The duct tape is stored on the glass for other uses, but protects the glass and if it does break, the duct tape contains it.

The glass is for use as a scraper, you can smooth the hardest wood to a glass like finish. It would be useful for finishing a bow stave.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If the bridges turn into parking lots, make sure you have bait and a fishing pole. Why not enjoy bugging out
It doesn't have to be fearful and stressful.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I kept my BOB light, so that it wouldn't impede my ability to run and move. I learned survival skills and drilled until it was "stuck in there" lol I do have a good length of rope and a hook if I need to get across a river for example. My thinking is the less I have, the less I lug and the more stamina (energy) I can exert. The problem is preparing for every possible scenario you can possibly imagine and sticking it all in one backpack.

Fire, Food, Shelter and movement is what I focused on. My motorcycle until I can't drive it anymore (on/off road bike)... and knowledge. Lots and LOTS of knowledge!

One can have all the fancy gadgets loaded into a rover (for example), but if one can't protect it or the gadgets fail, it could mean one's life.. not worth the risk to me.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes I Like that idea, you could hide your vehicle somewhere, camoflauge it, inflate your raft, and cross over. Where I live, there is a lot of area surrounding our bridges that have sand dunes, and forest that parrallel the river, so I would drive down from the bridge, hide my vehicle around some descent foliage, and cross over by an inflate. This is only if the bridge was inpassible, and not standing. If it where standing, I would either cross it by vehicle, foot, or underneath it, sounds crazy, but we four wheel next our bridge, and it has huge "I" beams that construct the bridge, its like an underneath crosswalk, so I could cross without anyone seeing me being very stealthy, Its possible to do. But only in a "Have to Situation"

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by starfoxxx
A strange bug out bag thing I use is floss, I always carry floss with me..
Floss isn't strange. Floss is cordage, and fishing line, and snares. What is so strange about floss?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Yep, took me almost a year of fiddling to get my BOB down to a schoolbag sized backpack with just the essentials. Thing is though, wading through a parking lot of cars filled with potential threats is a pretty bad idea I'm thinking, in a SHTF scenario.

If I could go UNDER them instead....
3 miles of paddling across the bay, vs. 30 miles on foot to get around it. At first, I was thinking of swimming, but with a BOB? So, the raft idea then came. Deflated, and oars unassembled, it would fit behind the rear seat of the truck, along with the BOB under the seat.

To give some idea, on a NORMAL day of rush hour traffic, it takes about 30-40 minutes to cross this 3 mile bridge..so now imagine it in a SHTF scenario.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It isn't that rough of water most of the time. A lot of the bridge is barely above the water, so it keeps the water fairly calm. People kayak there all the time.

My traffic home is pretty bad normally, so in a SHTF scenario, I imagine the bridges will be parking lots. The last thing I'd want to do is leave my truck, but needs must when the devil drives.... Getting home would be more important. I'm ok trying alternate routes, but then if I have to abandon, even further to walk....as going around the bridges is adding a LOT of miles to the trip.
This sounds like the I-275 bridge between Tampa and St. Pete. If that is the one, I don't envy you having to cross it when TSHTF.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If there was a SHTF situation, and you were stuck in traffic and had to cross a bridge with hundreds of people running around in a panic, that is obviously not an ideal situation no matter what.

However, if you took the "grey man" approach to your gear, I wouldn't really worry all that much about people trying to acquire your pack. That said, if you have a 3 foot long camo backpack that LOOKS like it has all sorts of survival goodies in it, then that would be something to be concerned about.

That said, paddling along in a rubber dingy is DEFINITELY going to garner unwanted attention.
edit on 26-3-2013 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Bing, bing, bing....

reply to post by METACOMET

I doubt it. For one thing, if I kept close to the supports, would be pretty hard to spot me from the bridge. Most would be focused on the traffic jam, or other, nearby road ragers, etc.

My pack looks just like an ordinary backpack, so no, it doesn't look like anything more than a college student would have books in, etc.

At first, I'd likely just turn away from the bridge, try and find a restaurant (if open) or a convenience store, and have a bite to eat (right when a SHTF event happens, many won't immediately react to it, in most scenarios), hoping the traffic works it's way out and I can drive home (even if at nightfall). If it is still snarled after, I'll tray the alternate routes still by vehicle. Only if the alternate routes are jammed, will I then resort to having to try and cross the bay by raft.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
If there is an order to lockdown a large heavily populated area, and there could be in a worst case attack. Then any main routes and especially bridges would be the worst path to choose in any escape plan.

Those routes can be closed at the bridges, and in an extremely urgent case, the bridges themselves may be destroyed with explosives, or possibly evacuated and bombed from the air.

You need an escape plan from your starting point that does not use ANY major routes, or main roads, highways, freeways and bridges.... You should develop a plan and then test it, try to make the time as short as possible, a bike, and/or motorcycle would be best, if you are alone.

In a worst case, it could be the difference between being trapped in chaos, exposed to everything, or getting out and away from it all.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by starfoxxx
A strange bug out bag thing I use is floss, I always carry floss with me..
Floss isn't strange. Floss is cordage, and fishing line, and snares. What is so strange about floss?
Your right, i just don't hear floss enough.. It is one of the most useful things i could think of other then a flashlight matches shovel it is strange more people don't talk about floss there should be a how to floss thread in here i'll go looking around search maybe there are..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Gazrok

This sounds like the I-275 bridge between Tampa and St. Pete. If that is the one, I don't envy you having to cross it when TSHTF.

Exact bay I was thinking, I would not want to cross tampa bay or under the howard franklin in a raft with 4-5 ft seas..
edit on 26-3-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

You need an escape plan from your starting point that does not use ANY major routes, or main roads, highways, freeways and bridges.... You should develop a plan and then test it, try to make the time as short as possible, a bike, and/or motorcycle would be best, if you are alone.

I have two routes that don't include the bridges or main highways, but they are easily doubling the miles to get home. However, yes, these would be my first bet if I hear the bridges are jammed...which I can almost guarantee would be the case.

The only way it wouldn't, is if the event happens earlier in the workday. Then, if I can identify it as such early enough, I've got a good shot at getting across the bridge without traffic.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You should anticipate (in a worst case attack) that you may have very little warning at all, and when the word is out.. plan for widespread panic and a communications blackout, the only news you'll get will be from the emergency broadcast systems, and that information will be filtered and controlled. You'll be informed that travel is dangerous, roads are closed and advised to remain inside and wait for news... etc... Before any of that happens you need to already be gone.

A few miles out of the way is better than getting trapped in traffic, or worse.

Of course, maybe it will never happen, but if it does, you could be one of those fortunate enough to get out.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You'd better have a billows pump handy, I'd hate to see you trying to blow up a watercraft by mouth. But is it really feasible? I'm not sure about the time it would take to inflate it. Maybe one of those "butt floaty" things people get to go fishing in... but anything inflatable is prone to puncture. I think if I had to, I'd take my chances with a floating log.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ausername

My family has chosen the mailbox system if we're not together. We planned for scenarios and possible routes out of town, numbering them. Then the destinations, 6 meet up points named after Disney Princesses. So, if I left a note in the mailbox at home reading 3-Ariel, everyone would know which way we took and where we were going... but anyone else would not know.

I don't know if it would be wise to have open communication, I suppose it depends on the scenario. Nothing is foolproof, you just have to make a plan and then go with the flow.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join