It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italys Overturns Amanda Knox Murder Aquittal, Orders New Trial

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by FlyersFan

Apparantly the U.S. and Italy have an extradition treaty, so she'll probably have to go to sidestep an international incident. This is tragic for Amanda Knox and her ex, and will uproot all the emotions and worries and her parent's worse fears again.

She wont be going anywhere, even if extradition is requested by Italy. Our Constitution does not allow for a person to be tried after being found not guilty / acquitted the first time around.

This is going to be no different than Europe refusing to extradite criminals to the US who face the possibility of a death penalty.

We also don't allow for people to be tried in abstentia, which is what's most likely going to occur in this version of the trial.

The US is well within its rights to protect a US citizen in this manner, just as European Union member nations do the same when it comes to the death penalty.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

If they have reviewed the case and want a new trial. She should be extradited. She may be guilty and it should be left to the courts to decide..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I think if it came to that she would simply come up missing?

Amanda?
Sorry Italy, can't find her today!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
What Italy 'wants' means absolutely nack all to the US! Look when the US wanted Gary McKinnon shipping over from the UK to face trial for hacking.....home secretary Theresa May politely told them where to shove it.

No difference really.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

If they have reviewed the case and want a new trial. She should be extradited. She may be guilty and it should be left to the courts to decide..

And the United States should request Italy to provide the compelling evidence that such an extradition is in order; not merely because they want a new trial. The courts already decided, she was exonerated and unless Italy has suddenly found new evidence (which from the sound of it, they haven't), Amanda Knox should not and the United States should not, be compelled to return to Italy.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Maybe so. I guess you might be seeing it different if it was your girlfriend or daughter that had been murdered..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Maybe so. I guess you might be seeing it different if it was your girlfriend or daughter that had been murdered..

We can emotionally attach ourselves I suppose but that isn't what a just case is about. "Gut" feelings and emotional arguments are no reason to retry someone. Like I said before, if Italy has compelling evidence to warrant a retrial, then go ahead; otherwise this is the Italian court trying to save face to a botched investigation/prosecution.

Deal with the counter argument I presented, not some emotional attempt to draw support to yours. Why should the United States extradite one of their citizens when the Italian court has already found someone not guilty? She was tried by "peers" (in best as it could given the disparity of nationality).

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I guess you might be seeing it different if it was your girlfriend or daughter that had been murdered..

I would hope that I wouldn't be trying to toss people in jail simply because I was upset and unable to look at the facts of the case. Those facts include a severe lack of evidence against Amanda Knox ... a corrupt prosecutor who has a history of jacking up innocent people ... and a 'trial by press' situation that the prosecutor set up in the media in which many, many falsehoods were spread about 'Foxy Knoxy' ...

I would hope that I would understand that Amanda Knox has rights .. like the right not to be throw in jail for the rest of her life simply because of people having emotional reactions based on falsehoods and lies that were spread by the corrupt prosecutor and the tabloid media.

I would hope that I would be able to accept that the person who did the killing was already in jail and that my pain in the loss of my daughter isn't an excuse to go out and try to destroy the lives of others.

If my child were murdered I would be in deep grief. But I would hope that I would be able to see the facts clearly and not let grief cloud my judgement. I give the parents of the murder victim some room because grief effects different people in different ways. But at the same time, they can't be indulged to the point that justice is taken away from Amanda Knox as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

ofc Amanda Knox has rights and I would not like to see an innocent person locked up. However if the court has issues that need addressing. They should be addressed following the due process of law and if she is guilty she should be prosecuted....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I did not say she was guilty. I was simply pointing out that a lot of peeps here may well be defending a murdered. Regardless of nationality a murderer is a murderer and if the Italian courts deem that a retrial is needed then a retrial should take place. Someone died here under horrific circumstances and if guilty she should pay the piper.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

ofc Amanda Knox has rights and I would not like to see an innocent person locked up. However if the court has issues that need addressing. They should be addressed following the due process of law and if she is guilty she should be prosecuted....

She met due process to an extent during her trial and was found not guilty. What more do you want? Continue trying her until you get the verdict you want? The State could not prove her guilt. Period and end of story.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Evidently due process of law in Italy allows a retrial. Due process has not been met if a retrial is allowed and she is not tired.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Evidently due process of law in Italy allows a retrial. Due process has not been met if a retrial is allowed and she is not tired.

Then at this point, the United States is in no way compelled to deprive it's citizen of the 5th Amendment.

...nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb

She is back on US soil and enjoys the full protection of her natural rights. Italy can demand, but there is no compelling factor that she should be extradited for a "retrial".

She was tried by the State and her peers found her innocent. Regardless of how botched the case was, the burden was on them to prove her guilt. They could not.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by Flavian

How many trials do you want before you accept the decision of a jury? There have already been two; I guess three is truly the magic number for some.

Glad that the death sentence does not exist in Italy, just look at this :

More than 200 men and women have been wrongfully convicted of serious crimes in California, six of whom were sentenced to death. Here are some of their stories.

www.deathpenalty.org...

I believe that the trial should take place again due to the bungled up mess of the two previous trials.

If she is found guilty this time after correct investigation then she is guilty and the victims family can mourn their child, if she is not found guilty then the whole thing with her should stop as soon as she leaves the courtroom and she should be allowed to live her life free of all suspicion.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 27-3-2013 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Chris
What Italy 'wants' means absolutely nack all to the US! Look when the US wanted Gary McKinnon shipping over from the UK to face trial for hacking.....home secretary Theresa May politely told them where to shove it.

No difference really.

Big difference, Amanda may have ended another human beings life, Gary McKinnon merely hacked a computer, as far as I am aware only butthurt was felt over that incident.

I personally think she was involved, either directly or indirectly.

She should be retried, without a doubt, at the end of the day, IF she did do it, she is living a free easy life whilst her victim and victims family do not.

Going back to the Gary McKinnon case, whilst I do not condone his actions, I applaud the home secretary for saying no to the US in what seems to be a very one sided extradition treaty.

Amanda.......try her, if enough evidence says she is guilty, lock her up for life, she (if guilty) had no problem taking (or being involved in taking) an innocent persons life.

EDIT: For the record, if she really is innocent, then I believe the Italian government should apologise and offer her a large compensation.
edit on 27/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Makes me chuckle that people from the states are going on about the Italian court system is so corrupt and wrong....OJ anyone?

Let me ask you something If she is found guilty will you accept that?
edit on 27-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Pink teddy bear has requested a new trial.

Pink teddy watches you while you sleep, but more importantly he watches you surf ATOMIC micro waves on the internet.

He's making a list. He's checking it twice. He's gonna find out who's getting ready to take a sword to their mothers or who has been nice

Pink teddy bear is coming to town.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

reply to post by Flavian

How many trials do you want before you accept the decision of a jury? There have already been two; I guess three is truly the magic number for some.

More than 200 men and women have been wrongfully convicted of serious crimes in California, six of whom were sentenced to death. Here are some of their stories.

200 out of how many trials? Probably billions.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

People are always critical of legal systems. 50% of the posts here show criticism of legal systems.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcher

Originally posted by Rodinus

reply to post by Flavian

200 out of how many trials? Probably billions.
edit on 27-3-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

Exactly... i just didn't want to go the whole hog and research the many many people who have been wrongly convicted, i think that just the one link summed up a little the conversation.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join