It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Canon Booms" Heard And Felt For 2-3 Years Prior To 1811-1812 New Madrid Earthquakes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
There has been speculation recently that the loud boom sounds and vibrations being reported around the USA could be related to the New Madrid fault zone. So I decided to look at some of the accounts from the survivors of the 1811-1812 New Madrid series of earthquakes, which supposedly included 4 mega quakes, 3 major quakes, and thousands of minor quakes.

What I found is that several people wrote accounts of hearing what they described as loud booms that sounded like cannon blasts for up to 2-3 years (depending on the location) before the earthquakes happened. The descriptions talk about these loud booms often being accompanied by vibration and shaking sensations. The accounts describe these loud "cannon booms" as happening also right before the earthquakes happened.

They describe hearing the same loud booms they had been hearing for up to 3 years right before the big earthquakes hit. The only difference was that the sound booms right before the quakes hit were louder than the previous booms that had been happening for the previous 2-3 years.

There are such accounts from places like Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. So, it appears that the speculation by some that the loud boom noises that are being heard around the US might be related to the New Madrid fault zone, could indeed be correct.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Links would be nice so I can read the accounts for myself.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Very wrong I monitoring this "strange sounds" from beginning or in last two year, I would say "West Coast" of USA have much possibility for stronger seizmic activity also strong EQ's ..

Maybe you find something interesting here ..

Possible Developments for next The 'Big One' SoCal on San Andreas Fault Line!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-3-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Op, I read that a few years back, however I had no clue they were hearing the booms for years??? I also had no clue that many states reported the booms over a few year span either.

Can you provide links? Please.
Thanks!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There is a guy on youtube who seems to have done a lot of research and pulled many facts together on the booms, which seem to point to increasing tectonic activity worldwide and specifically here in the US increasing activity in the New Madrid Seismic Zone and its associated smaller faults. Seems very plausible, but once again we hear nothing of this in the MSM or from the gov't.

Some have speculated FEMA camps and executive orders which can confiscate fuel, food, property etc are due to the knowledge at high levels the New Madrid will have an event soon:

Move at least 100 miles away from the New Madrid Seismic Zone.......

Info on New Madrid SZ Youtube channel

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

After the recent unrest in the US, I have a different take on those FEMA camps. As more people become upset with government, I can see these camps being a safe housing project for government workers and their families in time of crisis. I expect that if we find ourselves in a SHTF scenario, more extremest are going to target government employees for assassination.

reply to post by MariaLida

The same series of major quakes, that happened in 1811-12, in California would causes deaths measuring in the tens of thousands. Some estimates say a repeat of those quakes along the New Madrid would cause deaths in the millions--due to the differences in ground structure. In the 1980's we got a preview of this. I cannot remember the exact details, but a quake centered in southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas caused a house to collapse in northern Missouri--like 300 miles away. Our bedrock in the Midwest is not broken and pulverized from tectonic activity like it is in Cali. Bigger rocks shake a bigger portion of real estate.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm sure the OP's reading was correct. I read some stuff about that before hand booming also. That was a while back and I haven't a clue where I saw it. It is probably something to do with rock snapping somewhere. Seems to me that the more it snaps, the milder the quake would be.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

There are accounts of hearing boom sounds before an earthquake but I have never read years or even months prior. Not saying it isn't possible, just have never read that in the accounts of the New Madrid EQ.

Again, I would love to see links. I've looked for them, to no avail.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Like I say very wrong like many things from that person he only advertises you-tube channel because of interest with all possible or most interesting things, he don't know a lot about eartquekes or about the Sun and no need to worry about New Madrid area ..

[snipped]

It's very easy if you are intelligent or "tricky" and have very wrong intent to find today information online also to take from other persons some-kind of work and rewrite itself or some EQ prediction, pack that in other finely package etc ..

Anyway people from long time know things what we write and discuss in this days-years
not all but mostly yes, so don't be that naive you must know "things" if you going to disapprove someone or advertise you-tube channel from him etc ..

edit on Sun Mar 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed link to another forum

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Loud Thunder Sounds of distant thunder and loud explosions accompanied the earthquakes.
www.new-madrid.mo.us...

After further reading I found this highly interesting below.

The earthquakes were preceded by the appearance of a great comet, which was visible around the globe for seventeen months, and was at its brightest during the earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It's definitely something to chew on...

But it doesn't explain the booming sounds that have been heard all around the world, many of which are not in seismic zones ?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
As they said in The Fifth Element:

"Bada Big Boom!"

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

After further reading I found this highly interesting below.

Not quite 17 months apparently.

The Great Comet of 1811, formally designated C/1811 F1, is a comet that was visible to the naked eye for around 260 days,

en.wikipedia.org...

It was not brightest during the Earthquakes. In fact it was fading rapidly at that point.

On December 2, Herschel noted the tail was "hardly 5 degrees long and of a very feeble light." He said the streams were both 3° 12' long. He added, "they joined more to the sides than the vertex, and had lost their former vivid appearance; their colour being changed into that of scattered light." On December 9, Herschel wrote that the tail length had changed little since the 2nd. He noted, "The branches were already so much scattered taht observations of them could no longer be made with any accuracy." On December 14, Herschel wrote that the tail "still remained as before, but the end of it was much fainter."

cometography.com...

The comet's closest approach to Earth was in October and was at a distance of more than 1 AU.

edit on 3/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

This person is just pulling data from public sources and basically arranging it in a way no one else has; he has done nothing else, and showing many of the booms correlate to areas of the NMSZ, and I realize correlation does not imply causality, but it is still extremely interesting.

If you have specific problems with his data, sources or inferences I would be happy to discuss, but vague assertions and dispersions do not really make for meaningful conversation or aid in finding the truth.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

If you look, many booms ARE actually in seismic zones, just lesser known ones, not famous ones like the New Madrid or San Andreas (which of course is a slip fault not a rifting fault).

I have heard the booms myself on the northshore of Lake Ontario, and many have been heard in upstate New York and along the St. Lawrence Seaway, which is an extension of the NMSZ, the extension running through Ohio, Upstate New York, then basically underneath the St. Lawrence Seaway.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In response to previous post wanting data regarding pre-quake noise.

Go to the USGS page as previously mentioned, then click the link below the heading, "New Madrid, Missouri". Then click on "Eye Witness Account". Read the first one by Eliza Bryan. Near the end of the account, there's a paragraph that reads:

"There is one circumstance which I think worthy of remark. This country was formerly subject to very hard thunder; but for more than twelve months before the commencement of the earthquake there was none at all, and but very little since, a great part of which resembles subterraneous thunder. The shocks still continue, but are growing more light, and less frequent. -E.B"

This text can also be read elsewhere on the web more easily. Here for example.

I only read that one account in an attempt to find the data you asked for. I hope that helps you. Very interesting indeed.
edit on 24-3-2013 by coppcar because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2013 by coppcar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I watching him from long time ago so you don't need to tell me about him ..

I know exactly what he doing from first post and convinced myself in that a hundred times but I already post that ..

Oh one more thing he using also many different IP's and accounts in very tricky way he advertises you-tube channel on many other sites also, just watch him it's really interesting and funny what this kid is capable ..

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by rickymouse

There are accounts of hearing boom sounds before an earthquake but I have never read years or even months prior. Not saying it isn't possible, just have never read that in the accounts of the New Madrid EQ.

Again, I would love to see links. I've looked for them, to no avail.

I could have seen that on some PBS documentary or something also, it was a while back that I heard or read about that. I watch a lot of PBS shows on things like that. Usually their stuff is pretty accurate.

What I remember is that there were people who said there was rumbling going on, sort of like a swarm of little quakes, before the big quakes. I have no clue how long before. What I read or saw sounded official.
edit on 24-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I read a fictional book called "The Rift" a few years back and it was about the New Madrid going off in today's world and the aftermath of the situation. Pretty good read, but anyways, throughout the story, he flashed back to the 1811-12 quakes with actual reports from witnesses and I do remember reading in those reports of "cannon booms."

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Isnt there some booming that they call the Mowhawk guns or seneca guns that are heard back in north east US?
They have any relation to the New madrid?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join