It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks To Anonymous: GUILTY VERDICT in Steubenville Rape Case

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I'm glad these two got sentenced, but I'm disappointed in the shortness of those sentences.

And I'm really disgusted with what's going on in the Twitterverse over this. Here's a link to a site which has collected some of the Tweets from the Twits:

Twitter Responses to Steubenville

Within that web page there is a second link, about halfway down, right where the author says "Update: There’s so many, I just put up a second post HERE." and the HERE is the link.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wolfbitch

that is the thing i was most confused about honestly is how they only got one year? i mean i think it was partialy expalined by another member saying they MIGHT be able to hold them tell they are 21 in juvi but i am unsure if thats true(not wise in that area) but one year is bs for this they tried to give me a longer sentence for my dui back when i was young and dumb(no injuries i ran my car into a tree) i cant understand the sentence being soo light with what they did to this poor girl.....are they (the perpetrators) open to civil court or lawsuits of that kind or is this all thats gonna happen?

just checked out your link....those comments are disgusting and if as many of the posters were female as it seems they were it makes it all the worst (counted at least 3 females blaiming the girl for begin drunk compared to 7 being male) didnt count the fb comments as by that point i was ready to puke up my Jamison but there were alot of females saying girl deserved it.......again to be clear NO ONE DESERVES TO BE RAPED
edit on 18-3-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
I thought the sentences were a bit short.

I feel for the girl; all of this has to have been traumatic. The court proceedings, the media coverage, and the nasty comments from the public saying that she 'had it coming'.. I just can't imagine going through all of that.

That is the problem with our society, after several decades of always blaming males when they are victims(news articles still blame little boy's when they are molested by much older women) or brushing it off, it was inevitable for this treatment to spread to females as well.

When you dehumanize someone else you only end up dehumanizing yourself. And that is what is happening, coupled with social apathy. As apathy towards women rises, society will dehumanize men more causing apathy towards women to rise even higher, both acting in unison to compound the problem further.

In social policy and discourse we really need to drop gender and look at it as a human issue, so as to not let any form of gender bias or disparative treatment to enter into the picture, as that seems to be at the core of the problems in our society.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I know a dude who got raped in Paris, no kidding. He is/was a musician. Creepy stuff.

The problem I have with harsh and irreversible punishment is that the "truth" can be subjective and subverted.

Bear in mind, this wasn't afaik a violent attack on a stranger, which would merit tough punishment. There very well may have been a history between the parties involved...infer what you will.

I'm not too familiar with the this case, I'm just pointing out the failed logic of vigilance.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Well said. I agree with your statement and your passion for victims. Thank you!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

It is well documented that in a lot of rape cases the perpetrator is known to the

victim

I fail to see why this should make any difference in a sentencing of the perpetrator

RAPE IS RAPE regardless if it is a stranger or some one that the victim already knew.

After all it is less than 100 years ago when it was legitimate for a husband to rape his wife!!

and it appears that 'mind set' still exists between the sexes when you hear the comments

'she asked for it' 'she shouldn't have been dressed like that' 'she shouldn't have been

intoxicated' and so on...............

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
I don't care of it's slapping your privates against her face or fondling her with your fingers, as was done in this case, or , if it's having sexual intercourse. Rape is rape

This may come down to semantics and subjective application of the word 'Rape', but as an important point of law that is used to define criminal action in order to seek the truth i can not agree with your general, broad application the word 'Rape'.

If the judge and media were to use the word, as you do to apply to any form of sexual assault then the details and truth of a crime would be pushed aside. In short, where do you draw the line? A fondle, a touch, an accidental brush-by in a crowed...? was it accidental or not? you better get it right because you're trying that person for Rape, a very serious crime.

It's simply not workable, and not true, to tar every sexual crime as a Rape. There are varying degrees of sexual assault, one of the most serious being Rape. It's important to determine which degree we are talking about in all cases.

Perhaps this case was serious or not, it's my my place to determine that. But i will say that it must be determined rather than just plucking out every eye that offends thee.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Rehabilitation? Hahanah! I don't believe there is such a thing for rapist! Really they gave immunity to the others involved? The ones who were on tape laughing and joking about, for their testimony they should have received what the 2 boys got. The two boys should be locked up until their 21. The girl received a lot longer sentence. My daughter just came in and said CNN, were making the boys out to be victims. One of the boys said "no one will want to be with me now." How does he think his victim is feeling? I bet she feels the same way not to mention the fact she will have a hard time trusting or even being okay enough to let someone touch her again! I, as an Ohio citizen am embarrassed!!! Anonymous, I stand and applaud you!! I think the whole town should be in jail. I pray the real victim in this story finds peace and healing. I thank the judge for making them register as sex offenders!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The problem was the cover up involving adults.

I have 0 respect for the "innocent angel"... that passed out drunk in a flipping party.

I swear people don't realize 16 yrs are not kids anymore.

Same things goes for the bleach drinking girl. Some goes around looking in the bad place, and they get in sht.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So...... why didn't they just stick them in a federal prison, tell the other inmates of their 'misadventures' and let nature work itself out?

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm elated that these guys were brought to justice. However, has anyone seen the CNN coverage? All they do is speak about how this judgement has ruined two promising lives, how it was so hard to watch them break down and believe their lives were ruined... there were ZERO words about the victim. None. Only a statement made by her mother was played. Choosing to rape was what ruined these two boys lives, not a judgement.

I want to call on Anonymous to retaliate against CNN for perpetuating rape culture through their coverage. I've called CNN and told them exactly how I felt. I think anyone who feels the same, should do the same.
Here's the number: 404.827.1500. You'll be directed to ask a question. Just voice your outrage and do not leave a call back number or name. Lets fill up their lines so they have no choice but to pay attention.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

They were 16 yrs old, same age as the victim. Minors.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I'm sorry but I don't care how old they are, they committed a big boy crime so they should go to big boy jail.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
reply to post by luciddream

I'm sorry but I don't care how old they are, they committed a big boy crime so they should go to big boy jail.

While I agree, they got off light, and they should have been tried as adults; it isn't quite the "slap on the wrist" everyone is saying. Juvenile system or not, they still get the "Sex Offender" label for the rest of their lives, which will effectively ruin them, which is a good thing. So, not perfect justice, but... It could be worse. Call me cynic, but these days I'm surprised they got convicted at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I dont know about the sentencing..

Tell me this - if a kid is raised in a family that has perverted values/is sexually deviant/amoral/etc - and the extreme opposite environment of that as well - either way it produces just as messed up people.. how much of that is the kid to be blamed for? People are generally a result of their environment, and up to a certain age, most people don't get to choose their environment.

Certainly once someone has had a chance to live their own life in adulthood and experience life first hand they need to be held responsible for their own actions, but being raised in a #ed up household whether uninhibited and violent or totally inhibited and repressed, produces children that are #ed up by no fault of their own. Whether they can be rehabilitated, and whether this situation applies to these particular people, is open for debate... But it needs to be considered.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfbitch
I'm glad these two got sentenced, but I'm disappointed in the shortness of those sentences.

And I'm really disgusted with what's going on in the Twitterverse over this. Here's a link to a site which has collected some of the Tweets from the Twits:

Twitter Responses to Steubenville

Within that web page there is a second link, about halfway down, right where the author says "Update: There’s so many, I just put up a second post HERE." and the HERE is the link.

Those comments are horrendous, but I'm not surprised.
Society is a sewer because of the sports/fraternity/H3 mentality where it's the victim's fault. If you drink too much and get hurt/raped/assaulted/dead, that's your fault. Just look at the notorious hazing rituals that happen at these stupid parties where they make people drink, then coerce them into getting naked. All one needs to do is research the history of the original rugby fraternities where it was the norm to get blasted and wreck the dining hall or hotel they rented. Many were banned from having their parties at these places again because this is what they enjoyed doing -- getting drunk and destroying whatever they could to leave chaos and destruction in their wake. These men had money, so they would just offer to pay for whatever they broke and destroyed thinking that this makes whatever they did acceptable.
So, these people are certainly psychopathic and believe this type of behavior is OK because they have the money to clean up their messes. Now, it would be nice if the justice system stopped allowing the rich and powerful to coerce them into sweeping their criminal, psychopathic, and hedonistic behaviors under the rug.
Anyone who finds it fun to sexually humiliate someone is sick in the head.
I'm still wondering if she was slipped something and didn't actually drink all that much.
edit on 18-3-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm a little confused about the people involved with the rape. Was there not an entire 'rape crew' that violated this girl? Or were these two the only ones who raped her?
For some reason, I get the feeling these two just got scapegoated for the rest of the 'crew.'

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Irako

2 actually participated, rest watched.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Anonymous should expand to address bullies in schools who's evil parents come in and defend them, making so the bullies are never punished.

This was a group of evil bullies that are animals. Thank you anonymous.

thank you for the post
good news

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They are all animals even if they watched.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join