It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Taxes are one thing but ELEVEN dollars a pack?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The worse thing with cigarette taxes is that one is not even representated. No taxes without representation was the rallying cry for american independence.

Yet, smokers are discriminated at EVERY level by society - kids disdain them, employers shunned them, entertainment places tell them smokers and dogs not allowed, or if allowed, are squeezed into filled tables when the rest of the restaurant is empty.

The authorities claimed that smoking is bad for health and secondary smoke will kill non-smokers as well. Truth is, stats is easily manipulated to prove ANY point. What about the other dangers to humankind, do they not exist and can be far more easily eradicated - such as mental illness, industrial toxified rivers, pollutants in the air, etc?

Nevertheless, mankind prefers to be sheep and accept WHO ruling and pay those taxes because the authorities claimed that they cannot afford to fund healthcare for smokers if they continue, thus a collection of taxes to provide in the event they do suffer from the harmful effects.

But truth is, had such taxes been set aside to ENSURE that only smokers will be the ones whom will get treatment that they paid for in the common pool of cigarette taxes? Or had just about anyone who suffers from non smoking effects get treatment as well for that?

Who is WHO kidding? What's going on? Worse still is that the latest WHO findings claim the air we breathe in is contaminated and the cause of many diseases and harmful effects, even in non-smoking areas and nations. So are we to be even taxed to breathe now, and discriminated for being an earthborn human? When will these charades by WHO end and who the heck gave them powers to decide on mankind's heath without challenge and accountability?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

And to think I consider $4.50 to $5.00 expensive here in Texas! Well, the taxes on these will continue to go up and up and up. I doubt they'll ever come down. (and people will still smoke them no matter what).

I started using an e-cig awhile ago. In the long run, I believe it cuts half, if not more, of the cost of regular cigs out. Plus it's definantly not as bad health wise as regular cigs. I still smoke real cigs, but much less than I used to. They're pretty much my backup smokes, or smokes for when a stressful situation is coming up, such as before I have to give a speech in my speech class a little over an hour from now....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

In Canada, in my opinion, the thinking is that higher taxes on smokes are justified by the average smoker needing medical services because of smoking. Once you don't have smokers, you will have lower numbers of smoking related diseases coming into the hospitals.

In a perfect world at least.

In our world, they will probably find something else that is unhealthy and tax the bejeebus out of it...they better leave my steaks alone!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Good more will stop smoking... It maybe your body but your still hurting humanity.

Only giving more power to company's that will do just about any thing to make a buck.
They are laughing at you while your sucking down that addictive rat poison.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The price of a pack of cigarettes could be near $11 in Chicago, $6.67 of which is city, county and state taxes. Only New York City -- at $6.86 in taxes -- slaps on higher taxes

When cigarettes are banned, the states are still going to need that tax revenue. Who do you think will be paying it then?.......US!

Thanks for pointing that out. My pet peeve

edit on 1-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

I agree 100%. Whatever may have started as tax to offset medical cost and to deter new smokers has gone far past that point. It's crossed well into BIG money revenue that means far more to the Government for the revenue than it means for any noble causes being given for it in speeches, IMO.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

In Canada, in my opinion, the thinking is that higher taxes on smokes are justified by the average smoker needing medical services because of smoking. Once you don't have smokers, you will have lower numbers of smoking related diseases coming into the hospitals.

In a perfect world at least.

In our world, they will probably find something else that is unhealthy and tax the bejeebus out of it...they better leave my steaks alone!

Both my grandparnets have smoked since 15 years old, they are both in their late 80, with NO cancer of anykind or any other medical condition that could be attributed to smoking.
I know smoking isnt great for our bodies, but evidence kind of suggests that not everyone is effected in the same why by smoking. Some people get cancer, others dont. Could it be, its not the smoking giving everyone cancer? Could it be its just a huge cashcow with many many different parts of the business?

OR it could be that the tobacco people used to smoke wasnt filled with as many harmful drugs/poisons and chemicals to keep them burning. My grandad smokes roll ups, has done for over 70 years, he hasnt even got a smokers cough lol.

Its like all these anti smoking aids, whats the point? They are equally as expensive, and dont break the habit...they just make you feel better because you can say "i gave up smoking", you will be hooked on them as long as you would have been hooked to the real thing.(Thats not pointed at you, just a general comment)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's $10 a pack here.

It's funny. They want to tax the hell out of cigarettes to discourage people from smoking, but if people quit smoking they'd loose all that tax revenue. I don't get it.

They shouldn't be funding anti-smoking campaigns if they depend on the tax revenue so badly.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It is sick…

But hey, we are paying 13 dollars a pack in Norway and it increases every year by 20%.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Welcome to the new era of prohibition in the USA, combined with the rise of the nanny state. The government in an attemtpt to help people become healthy, is now having to regulate what it does not want people to do, and in that aspect is going to do such so it will be out of reach.

While the attempt is going to be trying and the questions that should be asked is the following:

Where is the money going to come from? After all is there not a sequester going on, meaning that many of the social programs that are being funded are ultimately being cut back?

And the other question, this one many should also be asking, is the state of Illinois, and in particular Chicago, going to now have its own borders and border patrol? What is to stop a person who smokes, from getting on say a train or getting into a car, and going to say Wisconson, to any one of the Native American Reservations and purchasing cigarettes and coming back home and bypassing the tax fully?

I do not smoke cigarettes, but can see the out right discrimination going on against those who do. States like California, New York and Illinois, are going to ultimately be on the losing end of any prohibition that they try to enforce as people will ultimately find legal ways to get around the law first, before going the illegale route. And when it happens, will there be say an outpouring of the popluation in that state to other places that are not so restrictive or has laws that are more agreeable to the person, thus bringing business and much needed revenue to other parts of the country?

While I may not smoke, I will never stop someone who is of legal age from doing such, as a society there has to be a point where a person has to take responsiblity for their actions.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You must live in NY. Last I heard they were $10 bucks a pack up there.

Totally insane and I agree.

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

You can live in a room with smokers (even heavy smokers) for weeks; but you can’t live in room with car engine running for a day.

Biggest reason of the environmental pollutions.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Geesh $13 bucks a pack?

Now that's overboard.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Tobacco cigarettes should be illegal. No tax and no cancer in one shot. More money in the pocket too.

Sorry but evidence linking smoking with lung cancer is anecdotal at best. Just because 9 out of 10 people who smoke get it means little as there are many environmental factors to consider, which are often discarded in order to perpetuate this myth that if you smoke you will die from cancer. It simply isn't true. Sure you might smoke, and yeah you might die of cancer, but saying oh they smoked so there's your answer, well, its self perpetuating ignorance. It's a risk factor. A risk factor is far from definitive cause.

More money in your pocket? Is that meant tot be a serious statement? Where do you think they will claw back the tax revenue lost if every person quit? Your pocket. In fact if everyone quit tonight, the only people likely to better off financially would be the smokers. They all ready pay through the nose. In effect they would see a "tax break" while you, the non smoker, finds all your other taxes going up in order to compensate for the fact that smokers have been subsidising your low taxes elsewhere.

Duh
edit on 1-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Oh well...the funny thing about these tax and spend thinkers ....they are expecting they are going to balance their spending on the backs of smokers making a "willful" purchase...they might be in for a rude awakening. What happens to their spending plans if half the people say "enough is enough" and quit smoking? If they have raised the tax by double and then lose half of the base paying that tax...they have made "zero"...funny how that works.

Some will say "it's good if they quit"...and for them it is...but do not be so naive. The local, state and fed are counting on those dollars and are more counting on it because it is a tax based on an addiction...a tax that they are absolutely positive they will collect. Somewhat predatory don't you think? Let's tax the crap out of booze, candy, ice cream....why not medicine? People have a physical need for that too....so you know they are going to have to buy it so throw a big tax on it...

I know...I know...people don't "need" cigarettes...but they are addicted. I still stand by the examples...
edit on 3/1/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
$10-$13 a pack, pfffffffttttt.

In Australia they are now paying about $20 OZ ($23 US) per pack and all the packs are an ugly baby poo green colour.

Still cheap as chips in Asia though, my cigs are about $2.5 a pack

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Both my grandparnets have smoked since 15 years old, they are both in their late 80, with NO cancer of anykind or any other medical condition that could be attributed to smoking. I know smoking isnt great for our bodies, but evidence kind of suggests that not everyone is effected in the same why by smoking. Some people get cancer, others dont. Could it be, its not the smoking giving everyone cancer? Could it be its just a huge cashcow with many many different parts of the business?

OR it could be that the tobacco people used to smoke wasnt filled with as many harmful drugs/poisons and chemicals to keep them burning. My grandad smokes roll ups, has done for over 70 years, he hasnt even got a smokers cough lol.

Its like all these anti smoking aids, whats the point? They are equally as expensive, and dont break the habit...they just make you feel better because you can say "i gave up smoking", you will be hooked on them as long as you would have been hooked to the real thing.(Thats not pointed at you, just a general comment)

Dear God how I hope you're right! I quit cold turkey on Dec 31 and haven't had one since...thought about it, and would pick it up again in a second if they could prove it wouldn't harm me! I never had a smokers cough and could still participate in any activities I wanted to without being winded. It's hard to say no to a 6 year old angel asking you to quit though!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm with you Wrabbit.
Even being the liberal that I am, 11 dollars?
That's insane.
When people treat smokers less than citizens
they need to remember how much in taxes those smokers
are paying.Certainly covering whatever hospital costs
they'll incur because of the vice.It's just not spent that way by the PTB.
11 dollars a day on top of all their other tax resposibilities?
Smoking, alcohol and chi chi bars.
Maybe drinking smoking strip club goers should get 3 votes each?
I'm kidding.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

My gosh, $23 bucks a pack???

And here I thought $13 was the highest I've ever seen.

Now that's incredibly insane.

Is the cigarette made out of gold?
edit on 1-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I used to buy a pound of my favorite and roll my own. 3 cartons worth for about $25. But then "someone" was elected president and same thing would cost $65. Worst part was my favorite tobacco stopped being sold due to these new taxes on bulk tobacco.

I say arm everyone to the teeth, ban all tobacco and see what happens.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join