It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Taxes are one thing but ELEVEN dollars a pack?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sorry, I didn't read the entire thread, but read several hundred other comments on the msm. I've got the talking points down I think.

One thing I did not read was taxation without representation. The smokers pay the taxes, but the smokers don't get a red cent of this money.

Originally, the tax was for those that came down with cancer from smoking. Then it got changed to giving the money to children's healthcare. Now, it's a free for all tax and God only knows where this money is going.

There are not enough expletives in the English language for me to express my outrage with all this craziness.

Now we are going to deal with a new black market crime ring that will rival illicit drugs. Too many doogooders with no sense.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Are you guys for real? You think thats bad?

Cheapest packet here is 14 dollars. and then goes upwardst o 32 dollars for 40 ciggs.

Im in Australia by the way

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by amkia

Geesh $13 bucks a pack?

Now that's overboard.

I am so confused right now? How are you people honestly caring about that price? Thats cheap . 13 bucks a pack is nothing !

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Funny how the "experts" cite so many things as the cause of crime - but they so rarely include Governmental or Corporate avarice and gouging in their summaries.

Blues Clue for the day: Cigarettes are highly addictive and withdrawal from them tends to include bouts of anger and loss of temper. So, go ahead and disguise unmitigated greed as "humanitarianism" by claiming that this 120-150% tax is for the good of all. In fact wait until a quarter of the population is knee deep in a nicotine fit and tell them that then. I dare ya.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlindBastards
I don’t smoke, but they’re about $15-20 in a Australia. The vast majority of that is excise and tax. In Thailand they’re about 70baht or around $2.50A. They’ve significantly strengthened the laws for passengers bring tobacco into the country. Used to be a 200 cigarette limit. It’s now 50 per person. I suppose when you think about it, smokers are a great burden on the public health system, and it’s their choice to make that.

A great burden? Maybe some, could be seen as a burden, but so can over weight people, elderly people, automobile drivers, motorcycle drivers, new drivers, pro athletes, ect.

I believe they just do it because they can. Just like gas prices. it's one thing to raise the prices, but does anyone remember when plus was .10 cents more and premium was another .10 cents? And now its .20 cents and some instances .30 raise depending on the gas station. And like the local BP here is ALWAYS .10 to .15 cents higher a gallon.

And like how QuikTrip has been shooting themselves in the foot with there cig prices. I can buy a pack for $5.35 after tax at a phillips or conoco, but go across the street to QT and they are $6.60. Completely unregulated. Last time I asked for a pack and they told me the total, I tossed the cigs back and said no thanks I will go next door and save a few bucks. And the funny thing was I had like 5 people follow suit.

Just like the BP that has almost NO cars getting fuel at any given point for over prices fuel, QT always has over stocked cigs because its just silly and some people are starting to get wise.

So go ahead and raise taxes on cigs, ban guns, ban everything, because the black market will make the money and I will be happy to give them my business.

P.S. this short vid of american dad is more truth than many will realise, but this is the true burden on public health system.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

Sorry but evidence linking smoking with lung cancer is anecdotal at best.

Just keep smoking,.....soon you'll have anecdotal cancer at best.

You amazed me.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

How about using the internet to make your tobacco purchases?

$24 for a carton of Marlboro's seem's fair

.www.cigarettesforless.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
should be $25

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

Cheapest packet here is 14 dollars. and then goes upwardst o 32 dollars for 40 ciggs.

Correct me if I am wrong. The average wage for an adult in Australia is $16.00 to $20.00 an hour. We have too many people here making around $10.00 an hour. This is a tax against poor people. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you Aussies make a living wage, but this is not an apples to apples situation.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

Cheapest packet here is 14 dollars. and then goes upwards to 32 dollars for 40 ciggs.

Correct me if I am wrong. The average wage for an adult in Australia is $16.00 to $20.00 an hour. We have too many people here making around $10.00 an hour. This is a tax against poor people. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you Aussies make a living wage, but this is not an apples to apples situation.

So you think cigarettes should cost more to people that earn more? How is that fair?
Yes i agree it is a tax against poor people but when your only payin like 7 dollars average for a pack , get over it . I heard one member say something about a pack for a dolla something??!! wtf ??!!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
No sympathy.. if you are struggling with a low income and high taxes..WHY THE HELL WASTE IT ON SMOKES... your pretty much burning your money away

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Cigarettes here in Canada are around $10.00 per pk avg. You can get them cheaper as some brands are lower grade and are bundled in 2 for 14.99 plus tax which brings them to over 16.00 per purchase. Oh but you can't see them because they are hidden behind walls so you have to know the size and brand you want to buy so the clerk can lift the panels to find them.
All they have done with these laws is push people out on the street or in their cars to have their smoke, have you seen the number of peeps walking down the street having their smoke? 1 of 3?
Alcohol and cigarettes always go up in tandum here in Canada it is called SIN tax. If cigarettes go up you can bet your butt firewater is going up too. We pay $36.99 for a case of Canadian beer, or premium beer, you can get a lesser brand like Laker Light for $29.99, but mind you, you have to drink quite a bit of it to even make it worth the purchase, (I think there is an issue on that one, a case of people suing because they aren't getting the buzz they paid for) and they tease you with a bonus can of higher alcohol content to show you what you are missing.
In response to all of those who would say that cigarettes are bad and that everyone should quit, lets not forget they are addictive and not easy to give up. Another poster said her father or grandfather was 80 and has no symptoms-- it happens. My grandpa smoked his whole life and lived to this 80's (drank like a fish). Not everyone gets cancer from the cancer stick.

If everyone who smoked, quit all at once what would the government do? I would love to see that one. Think about it--the avg boomer is going to live into their nineties, what in the hell are they gonna do with us?

That many more people living longer (boomers, what a healthy bunch we are - if we quit maybe 100)
That many more people working longer (no job openings for the younger generation in lucrative paying jobs, cause the boomers hold them)
That many more people collecting retirement longer (boomers gonna suck the pensions dry)
That many more people needing assistance longer (boomers gonna need some where to go in their final hour) some idiot fro BC thinks we want to live in communes in our final years -- wtf -- not me
That many more people are waiting for inheritance to take them out of the misery they are enduring day to day...
(Ok, maybe the above is stretching an inheritance right but it is true, could lead to an early demise for the boomer)
Government can impose any law they wish but it is only to generate new revenue and for self serving professional political reasons so they can be elected or re-elected and bow to pressure from special interest groups which directly imposes hardship and bowing to conform to whatever law is the flavour of the day. i don't know what to believe anymore, too many conflicting reports

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12

How about using the internet to make your tobacco purchases?

$24 for a carton of Marlboro's seem's fair

.www.cigarettesforless.com...

I thought that had been outlawed? Was that just some states I may have read about? Hmm... While trucking, I had simply bought them here in Missouri. They generally run among the lowest and I'd get them by the half dozen cartons at a time. No chance of running out in a high dollar state.

Missouri has the Hancock Amendment in our state law which says they can't raise taxes like that without a successful voter referendum. Voters haven't been in the general mood to raise taxes for much of anything in quite some time. It sure makes a difference for not being taxed to death.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Just keep smoking,.....soon you'll have anecdotal cancer at best.

No doubt I'll still be around to dance on your grave. Might need to stop to catch my breath like, but I'll be dancing. If not, meh. Not been a bad life, least I enjoyed it not telling other people how to live their lives. That would be a very boring life. Hell in fact. Always feeling morally superior, but looking like a twat because everyone knows you drink the koolaid, buy the propaganda and spin. I think cancer would be preferable to a life as one of THOSE
people.
edit on 1-3-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

$1.50 a can? Wow that is cheap.. wish it was that cheap here.

Copenhagen runs me just under $5 a can. Knock off stuff is $2.50.

Leaf stuff has gone way up though, i checked the other day was thinking of getting some
but it was almost $8

Been doing it way to long to quit.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Both my parents died of lung cancer and they were heavy smokers; my Mom was 33 when she passed; and my Dad was 52. I have chosen never to smoke; and I never have.

I am just thinking as expensive as cigarettes are; if people want to increase their budgets for more important things in life; quit smoking! You will have around $300.00 extra dollars a month!

As for cigarettes being $11.00 a pack; maybe that price will help many to quit such a costly and unhealthy habit.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Thanks for the Heads Up. If you keep in mind that the real drug crime is exploitation, Cook county became criminal. While I believe that smokers should bear the social cost(so they aren't exploiters, too), $11 per pack is way beyond the social cost.

I guess they are opening up a new market for supporting the gangs.
This will just mean more gang violence.

Next thing they will outlaw growing your own tobacco in your back yard!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Why not just make them illegal... I mean it works so well for "illegal" drugs and alcohol... oh wait...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join