It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gonzales tells Washington: 'Come and Take It'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A friend of mine sent me this, looks like there are municipalities are joining the whole gun control thing.

www.m.www.gonzalescannon.com...

In 1835, Santa Anna moved to disarm Texans for opposing his policies. At the little town of Gonzales, a small band of men sent him a message: "Come and Take It!" A similar message is now on its way to Washington. Gonzales City Council on Tuesday passed a resolution in support of the Second Amendment's guarantee of the right to keep and bear arms and stating in no uncertain language that any of the proposed restrictions, even if passed by Congress, will be null and void in the city limits.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, he's fast...
I'm not sure Washington will be able to take it.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Pay attention. This is how you fight the feds.

Just Say No.

Good Job Gonzales.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thought I would add this, since NY passed the worst one yet.
Counties all over New York have been passing these the last few weeks, looks like the majority.

2/26/13RESOLUTION 52 - 13Introduced by Chairman GrattidgeOPPOSING THE NEW YORK SECURE AMMUNITION AND FIREARMSENFORCEMENT (SAFE) ACT OF 2013
WHEREAS, the Saratoga County Board of Supervisors endorses and upholds the SecondAmendment to the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Actof 2013 (A.2388/S.2230) was rushed to passage in the State Legislature through a flawed processthat excluded input from concerned citizens; and

WHEREAS, provisions in the SAFE Act are already requiring, and will continue torequire, greater expenses of County resources, in effect creating a new unfunded mandate; and

WHEREAS, implementation of the SAFE Act will also require investment of stateresources that could otherwise be used to promote other criminal justice initiatives that keep our residents safe; and

WHEREAS, the SAFE Act would criminalize law-abiding citizens, including policeofficers, who are the responsible owners of certain firearms and magazines that were included inthe law; now, therefore,

be itRESOLVED, that the Saratoga County Board of Supervisors opposes the New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act of 2013 and the flawed process bywhich it was enacted, includi ng Governor Cuomo’s Message of Necessity which limited debate and input from concerned citizens; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Saratoga County Board of Supervisors requests that the SAFE Act be repealed and replaced with more sensible legislation that does not infringe upon SecondAmendment rights, does not create unfunded mandates on county governments, addresses issuesincluding mental illness and deterring violent crime, and includes full input from the public; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Clerk of the Saratoga County Board of Supervisors forward acertified copy of this Resolution to Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, Temporary Presidents of the Senate Jeffrey D. Klein and Dean G. Skelos, Speaker Sheldon Silver, and the county’s representatives in the New York State Senate and Assembly.BUDGET IMPACT STATEMENT: No budget impact.

www.scribd.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Looks like the lines are being drawn all over. I'm still wondering if the fed will have the gall to march troops into these areas that resist in a legal manner? The U.S. has been the worlds police force for so long, if the feds did that who would police them? Some uncertain times indeed.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Pay attention. This is how you fight the feds. Just Say No. Good Job Gonzales.

And the fed fights back by bullying the states or others entities. Usually done by withholding certain fundings or taking them to court.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Except Santa Anna never tried to disarm Texans. They were Texians. Seriously, look it up.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Withold the money that the states pay them?

Then the people will refuse to pay them their salaries.

Then they will be the ones out of work.

They can try to bully all they want.

The people pay their salaries.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Well,
I feel better about Texas..
My grandfather was born in Gonzales, Texas. I'm even more proud of that little town.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
Except Santa Anna never tried to disarm Texans. They were Texians. Seriously, look it up.

someone needs to practice critical reading and comprehension skills.

true they at one time were consider to be mexican citizens, they just like the United States did with england, declared independence from mexico in march 1836

and just like england, santa anna found out that, if people want freedom, brute force to try and rein in will only make them fight harder.

something i think may happen again soon here in the states.

here from the wiki.

Texas Revolution

Before the consultation could happen, however, in accordance with Santa Anna’s nationwide call to disarm state militias

here is a quote from the wiki.

Antonio López de Santa Anna

Like other states discontented with the central Mexican authorities, the Texas department of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas rebelled in late 1835 and declared itself independent on 2 March 1836.

edit on 28-2-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yes, you do need to work on your reading and comprehension skills. Back then they were TEXIAN. Today, there are Texans. Notice the different spelling? They mean different things.

Look it up, Bozo.

So while you're quoting history, here's one for you:

Texian was a popular demonym, used by Texas colonists, for all the people of the Republic of Texas, before it became a US state. This term was used by early colonists and public officials, including many Texas residents, and President Mirabeau Lamar frequently used it to foster Texas nationalism.

You should be embarrassed by your post and lack of basic reading skills.
edit on 28-2-2013 by GreenGlassDoor because: So the clown doesn't have to look too hard.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Derail much?

Really, this is nit picking.

Texan - Texian

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Riiiight. It's not like we're talking about the Battle of Gonzales and the Texas Revolution or anything.

Texan is the post-annexation term (unless, of course, you want to write the Texas State Historical Association and tell them they're wrong). The fact that the town of Gonzales paper got this term so wrong shows how historically tuned they are. People should be proud of who they are, Texian and all.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

So take it up with the original writer and editor of the article.
It has nothing to do with the OP's point
Or are you just upset that some little town in Texas would have the Cojones to flip the Bird at the Federal Government?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Makes me proud some Americans still have the stones to tell the feds to ####. Good job.

I hope we dont end up with a phrase remember Gonzales.
That little cannon that Gonzales first coined come get it is cute it use to be owned by a Dr in Shiner. A couple of decade ago.

Makes me want to move home to the family farm about 30 miles from Gonzales.
mmmm Shiner Bock
ohh Oktoberfest

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Unless the point is "we don't know our own history" there isn't one. Trying to ground their "flipping the bird" in historical fact falls flat on its face when they get the history wrong, no?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yes, you do need to work on your reading and comprehension skills. Back then they were TEXIAN. Today, there are Texans. Notice the different spelling? They mean different things.

Look it up, Bozo.

Texian is just a word, that describes the people living in texas at that time. weather you call them Texian, Texan, it's the same place and the same people. one word used before they became part of the U.S., and the other after.

the very first paragraph from your link. i will underline the key words. in the quote.

Texian

Texian is an archaic demonym which defined a resident of Mexican Texas and the Republic of Texas and the same region after annexation by the United States of America in 1845.[1] In addition to Texian, several other names were used during the period, including Texasian, Texican, and Texonia

so you see here there were other words that were used to describe them, why didn't you use one of them.

you do realize that Texas was part of Mexico before they declared independence. Mexico made the area part of the state of Coahuila y Tejas.

and Santa Anna did try to disarm them with the other state militias, before Texas declared Independence.

Texas was also claimed by the French and the Spainish, and they were still calling themselves Texians up till 1850. it was new settlers and citizens of of the U.S. that started calling them Texans.

Schooled Once again . stop trying to pretend that the op's point is wrong, everyone knows what he's talking about. i still say you need to practice reading and comprehension skills

edit on 1-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: removed derogatory word derected at the memeber, didn't want to stoop down to his level and start calling names.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wow, I leave this thread for a day and my oh my....

While I do appreciate the history lesson, I see no point in arguing the minor mistake in the article. I'm guessing the editor of that small paper didn't go to Harvard

I posted this to be an inspiration to other communities that don't want to be bullied out of their constitutional rights. A high school friend of mine lives there and I felt that it deserved some attention.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
We need more states counties and city governments who have the stones to stand up for the constitution like Gonzales did. screw being politically correct with liberal media. People need to stand up like this.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JeffreyCH

This is more publicity. Look up what the "Come And Take It" flag means and why it was created.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join