It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More on Infinity...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Every thing can be described with math.
Can it? Can math describe emotions? Are emotions unreal?

Sorry, I wandered a bit. As I said, aspects of reality can be described with math, reality as a whole cannot be. Phi may be manifested in many phenomena but it is not manifested in all. How can math describe a reality in which 2+2=4 and 2+2=247? Math, in fact, has no use for the concept of infinity.
edit on 2/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

There are other universes in my opinion. Yes, math is infinite and something finite cannot contain something that is infinite, meaning our reality must be infinite as well.

As far as multiple universe within our own, I think black holes leading to another universe might answer that question.

Like you said our universe must be infinite as well. Do you think that means absolutely any thing is possible? Could I will my self to another planet or universe? Could I do nothing and end up on another planet or inside of another universe because of the endless possibility's?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

If you think about it, every moment that passes by is kind of like a picture, if you snap enough pictures fast enough you end up with a slideshow. So in reality, every moment there is no movement, like there is no movement in a picture.

One of Zeno's paradoxes talks about this.

The arrow paradox

If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment, the flying arrow is therefore motionless.[11] – as recounted by Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b5

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

That depends on how far you're willing to accept what Infinity really is..

Re - Judging by your forum name I believe this thread is right up your ally

edit on 18-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I wouldn't say ANYTHING is possible. There are laws like gravity and magnetism that govern what is possible within our reality. These laws are only part of the infinite, just like the number 1 is part of infinite math, yet they hold everything together.

As far as life itself? It's a mathematical fractal in my opinion. As above, so below. Reincarnation answers your question about other planets, in my opinion.
edit on 18-2-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Gravity is dictated by mass.

What do we call an area of infinity where there is no mass? The Nether? lol.

Still though, it goes and goes and goes. Mass does not (imo) dictate infinity. In other words, even where the universes end there is no ending, space is infinite.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Mass is infinite if you think about it. It is made up of atoms, but the atoms have to made of something too, and so on and so on infinitely. Fractals solves this in my opinion. The micro is the macro and vice versa.

If you zoom in far enough on an atom, you will start seeing stars and galaxies and planets, maybe even our own. This is just speculation on my part though.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I love that theory, and fractals kick ass!
But look at it the other way.. Is it possible to see atoms with a telescope?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Every thing can be described with math.
Can it? Can math describe emotions? Are emotions unreal?

Sorry, I wandered a bit. As I said, aspects of reality can be described with math, reality as a whole cannot be. Phi may be manifested in many phenomena but it is not manifested in all. How can math describe a reality in which 2+2=4 and 2+2=247? Math, in fact, has no use for the concept of infinity.

"How can math describe a reality in which 2+2=4"
I still dont understand... you could describe every aspect of a car threw math, whats its made of and its exact dimensions. It describes it perfectly it just needs to be decoded. Just as we decode the colors from a frequency(witch we can all so decode color into math) that is decoded by our brain. It could be decoded in many different ways depends on what animal or instrument is looking at it but its still receiving the same information.

"Can math describe emotions? Are emotions unreal?"
Dose a AI have emotion? If so they would be math processes of 0's and 1's witch is a grate away to describe information for some one or something to decode.

" Phi may be manifested in many phenomena but it is not manifested in all."

Whats your understanding of phi? Have you played with it? I am not that grate with math but I have played with the visual side of it. Golden ratio threw art. Most people are only introduced to spirals. Its a ratio and can be represented in more ways. Its in every thing natural on so many different levels. For example take your index finger their are 3 segments that fit the ratio, how far your eyes lip nose and moth are apart, your DNA(the instructions) ect... It may not be represented in the chair your sitting on at least as a whole (it could be represented in the wood grain of the chair) but its found in so many different scopes. You know of the fruit of life? Witch can be represented threw phi mathematics. With in the fruit of life is the 5 platonic solids.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wouldn't say ANYTHING is possible. There are laws like gravity and magnetism that govern what is possible within our reality. These laws are only part of the infinite, just like the number 1 is part of infinite math, yet they hold everything together.

As far as life itself? It's a mathematical fractal in my opinion. As above, so below. Reincarnation answers your question about other planets, in my opinion.

As far as I know from my half ass understanding of quantum physics the observer changes the way matter acts.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

No, but maybe that's because we live on the atom, we are part of the atom. There was a thread a while back that showed the shadow of an atom, it's shadow looked exactly like a galaxy.

Maybe our galaxy is only the shadow of an atom on one of the hairs on your head? Crazy if you really think about it.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555

I love that theory, and fractals kick ass!
But look at it the other way.. Is it possible to see atoms with a telescope?

yes it is, I just saw a article about it and a picture. Google I dont fell like pulling it up.

Its not possible to touch a atom. At least this is what I have read. Whats going on is a charge, like when 2 magnets push each other away from each other. If it was not for this charge you could pass something right threw the wall.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

That's called motion. As life goes on and time is experienced, mass changes shapes sometimes getting bigger like icicles, or smaller like the rock particles that water wears away over time. The simple act of us observing creates time, which in turn changes matter. Hopefully that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The concept of an infinite number of universes means that there are necessarily universes in which 2+2 does not equal 4. There are universes where gravity does not exist. There are universes where time does not exist. Can math describe all of these universes?

Dose a AI have emotion?
I wasn't talking about AI.

Whats your understanding of phi?
My understanding is that it is (in the manner you use it) the decimal representation of the "golden ratio". It is a single value which can be found manifest in some natural phenomena and it is often employed in art. It does not describe anything and it does not predict anything.

Its in every thing natural on so many different levels.
How is it "in" a crystal of sodium chloride? How is it "in" a hydrogen atom? How is it "in" the distribution of planets in the Solar System? How is it "in" the speed of light?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Thats not how i see it. Infinite means endless every thing, including possibility's. Because of infinite possibility's the reality you are talking about would exist at the same this reality would exist. While at the same time nothing exist. Any possibility.

Prove to me there isn't a pink elephant orbiting the sun. Anything is possible, some are just more absurd than others.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Endless numbers, they never stop.

They stop once there is nothing left to keep counting. Nothing can count endlessly, therefore, numbers are not endless.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Unless you believe in infinity. That's the definition, right?

PS Agreed that no one is counting past our satellites (That we know of)
the whole tree in the forest thing ya ya

edit on 19-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The "Golden ration" can be found in every object that exists within nature.Just because we(as humans)don't know why does not mean that is not part of a fundamental law of the universe. Just like how you thought you could run from an intellectual discussion with me.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

One more thing to add. If 4D objects exist, their shadows would be in 3D form. Maybe our 3D world is the shadow of ourselves? Maybe are the 4D objects (consciousness) that cast the shadow of our 3D worlds.

If our galaxy is the shadow of an atom, and if our world is the 3D shadows of our 4D selves then that would mean we are the universe experiencing itself on both the micro and macro scales at the same time.

That might not make sense to some.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The concept of an infinite number of universes means that there are necessarily universes in which 2+2 does not equal 4. There are universes where gravity does not exist. There are universes where time does not exist. Can math describe all of these universes?

Dose a AI have emotion?
I wasn't talking about AI.

Whats your understanding of phi?
My understanding is that it is (in the manner you use it) the decimal representation of the "golden ratio". It is a single value which can be found manifest in some natural phenomena and it is often employed in art. It does not describe anything and it does not predict anything.

Its in every thing natural on so many different levels.
How is it "in" a crystal of sodium chloride? How is it "in" a hydrogen atom? How is it "in" the distribution of planets in the Solar System? How is it "in" the speed of light?

"How is it "in" a crystal of sodium chloride?"
Threw the 5 platonic solids.
How is it "in" a crystal of sodium chloride?

How is it "in" a hydrogen atom?
No idea but when I look at the flower of life and i look at a atom I see some similarity's especially when you are looking at the flower of life in 3d.

"How is it "in" the distribution of planets in the Solar System?"
Galaxy is a spiral, the spiral turning should have effect on the motion of other body's with in it just like a car. When I look at the flower of life and our solar systems I see similarity's, such as one circle being a central point for other circles to surround.

" I wasn't talking about AI."
Same thing neuron firing processes could encode INSTRUCTIONS!!!

"There are universes where time does not exist. Can math describe all of these universes?"
In infinity all and nothing exist.

"It does not describe anything and it does not predict anything."
I still do not understand why you think math does not describe any thing. Its like saying a color dose not describe my car. It may not be a full description but it dose describe. Are you saying the decoder describes?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join