It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEAL Who Killed Bin Laden Left in Poverty: No Pension, Healthcare or Protection!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
He got himself a gig as a SNCO instructor at a NROTC unit at a university. It was really a part time job--teach a few classes and teach the mids how to dress and so forth. The rest of the time he could take classes--free since he was considered "faculty." At the end of that tour he had both his retirement and a BS degree.

Indeed this is the way to do it. That is why these type jobs exist. They need to be done and what better role model for some new Ensigns than a SEAL combat SNCO. He can impart wisdom from the point of credibility, and take care of himself and his family all at the same time he tries to wrangle his 3 hours of "work" into a 12 hour day.

We all need these breaks from time to time and I know that in the Army if you are in a nominative type job and ask for a break they will part the Red Sea to find a place for you to "rest".

This is even available for mid-career types as well, new O4's get to go to grad school/Pentagon/Congressional Staff or even ROTC for a 2-3 year break and SNCO's get to go out to ROTC/Recruiting/Institutional Training Instructors and such. They'd rather that than loose all that money and time spent training people some come back some rotate out its the way of the world.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Sorry, I don't see him as a hero, but as a murderer. But this is not the discussion here.

Personally I think this is a disgrace. How can a country which should care for its people treat people like this? Especially when they even worked for this country and risked their lives?

In Germany this would be unthinkable. You have a pension and health insurance, no matter what. And I don't understand why so many Americans are against something like this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

If you join the military, then you know that if you put in 20+ years, you get a full retirement. That means you get retirement pay, health care through TRICARE or the VA, for you and your spouse, etc. If you don't do the 20, you don't get full benefits. You might see reduced benefits, or qualify for disability, but you don't get the full benefits package. He opted to get out three years short, instead of a desk job, or as someone else said, an ROTC instructor, or other career field for three short years. Therefore he doesn't qualify for retirement. He can probably get some kind of disability, but that's it. That's how it is for everyone in the military, not just him.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
What part of 'he's a pawn in a global game of corporate chess' does he not get?

Maybe gullible flag-waving 18 year olds that think joining the Armed Forces will be some kind of patriotic video game should spend a few days in a Veteran's Hospital and on the streets of any big city meeting homeless vets before they enlist. Damn fools.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
along with
Fort Hood Hero Says President Obama 'Betrayed' Her, Other Victims
abcnews.go.com...

Former Sgt. Munley says she now believes the White House used her for political advantage in arranging for her to sit next to Michelle Obama during the President's State of the Union address in 2010.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Wasn't there an aware from Bin Laden? Sure lots of people "found" him, but this guy captured him. I think he should get the reward.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Is he not able to get private security work? a lot of ex vets do that don"t they?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Jim Scott

He only put in 16 though, so he doesn't get a retirement. If he had put in the last three years or so he would have gotten one, but since he didn't hit 20, he doesn't get anything. Same as with any other veteran.

Yeah, I just don't understand the outrage here?

He did the job he was tasked to do. He did not work his full time for eligibility.

Why should special consideration be made for him and not thousands of other vets?

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The main problem with this whole story is that, no matter how good you are at evading capture, you cannot get out of the military without being briefed 100,000 times about your benefits.

Also, how is this guy only paying $486.00 dollars a month for healthcare when he has pre-existing medical conditions?

The whole thing doesn't add up.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

He did the job he was tasked to do. He did not work his full time for eligibility.

Why should special consideration be made for him and not thousands of other vets?
On top of that being a SEAL is a voluntary, it's not like he was a shopkeep that was told to take the beach.

Besides all of this, why doesn't this guy fall back on his "A" billet? That should have opened up a few jobs here and there for him (that is for some reason he didn't want a 6 figure paycheck in a security firm that would value his SEAL training)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm with the "LOL I can't believe people are buying this propaganda" crowd.

A. Osama bin Laden was dead years before the US cowboys supposedly "killed" him. Either via natural causes or murder, who knows which. Although I tend to side with Bhutto, who told the world he was murdered.

B. Point A makes the whole story about this "poor, neglected veteran" absolute bollocks.

Veterans are ill-treated and neglected by our government every day. Which is a horrible state of affairs. It isn't necessary to concoct made-up crap for us to feel sorry for them. We already do. Whomever cooked up this little missive to rile up the kool-aid drinking patriot sect is a terrible person.
edit on 2/12/13 by Malynn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Because killing America's number one enemy, putting your life on the line time and again and being a Hero should count for something a little extra. Why he made the choices he did is an unknown. What is known is what he did and who he was.

As another Mod stated perfectly, this is a symptom of a bigger problem.

I think there are folks out there, who believe the same as I, and are in a position to give this man a worthy job. I doubt he will stay unemployed long.

V

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Variable

Except it was his job. That was the mission he was sent on. Yes, taking out bin Laden was important, and the entire team should be considered heroes for doing it, but if you ask just about any other member of the team that was there, they'd tell you they were just doing their job, and they were proud of that. It's like a firefighter running into a burning building, yes it's heroic, but it's his job. This member of the Teams shouldn't be treated any better than any other member for doing what he signed up to do.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Killing people, even under orders, even in a real war, has it's costs. he'spaying his emotionally. But I think it's appalling that the government isn't supporting one they trained to do this.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

He has the same access to health care that any other combat veteran does. Why should he be treated differently than any other combat vet? He was there doing his job, and he knew what the retirement requirements were. He failed to meet them, or show that there was a good reason for them to give him retirement early.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by ColonelSF

Really? Then who killed Bin Laden? The Martians? Wake up and smell the coffee so you start thinking straight.

Things are even worse: Not only are heroes not acknowledged but contemporary paranoid mindset (CPM) would tell you that Bin Laden was the hero or a "false flag" or not taken out by NAVY SEALS. CPM creates an alternate reality in which nothing is real and nothing matters....not only on "conspiracy websites" but in much of modern "academia" and "youth culture" as well. Neglecting heroes is just a small symptom of the overall decline in education and knowledge.

The hero requires a villain I guess and what better way than to concoct the Seal Team 6 story of killing Bin Laden to make the American public 'feel protected' by their great and glorious government.

Again, where is the evidence that they actually killed Bin Laden?

They allegedly had the body and dumped it in the ocean?

Even if they would provide any proof, most of the people here will still say it wasn't true, fabricated or whatever motivation, only because they believe that behind every story there must be a conspiracy as you have a hard time trusting your own government. But than again, this site wouldn't exist and I would miss all the fun reading all this.

On topic! This guy should be rewarded properly and taken care off. I am sure that now he spoke publicly they will not neglect him. He is of course, as well as his team a hero!

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Surely people don't believe that Seal Team 6 actually killed Bin Laden?

We still do not have a shred of evidence and now we have an 'anonymous' person claiming that he was the one that shot Bin Laden.

More propaganda... zzzzzzzzz....

Your username is obviously a great reflection of your outlook on all aspects of life and society. There is a HUGE difference in a real conspiracy theorist and someone who sees a conspiracy everywhere they look. Those people need to come back to the real world. You also missed the entire point of this thread as well, which is not really shocking in my opinion.

It makes no difference to the point of this thread if the former Seal operator personally shot Bin Laden or not, as it does not change the fact that he has undergone much more than you or I ever will in service to his country, yet he is destitute after leaving the military. Let this be a lesson to everyone that the government and politicians do not care about their pawns, much less the average American citizen. Just remember that when you are formulating your opinions on issues like gun control, because the government is not looking out for your best interest.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This guy will land on his feet. He could be an advisor for the movie industry because I know they need them considering the BS they produce when it comes to military films. He could work as a bodyguard to the stars. If he wrote a book I know it would sell. Then there are the multitudes of private security firms he could work for. With his credentials he has options and I am sure he will adjust.

It does bring up an interesting subject though. What happened with the veteran’s jobs bill I know they voted it down twice but since the elections over I would think it would pass now. Politics always gets in the way of actually running the country last time I heard Santorum shot it down because he wanted a rider having something to do with passports it was truly moronic his reasoning that is.

I have thought that his plight could be a political move we should see soon enough.

If he wanted to he could join a reserve unit and push through till retirement. It wouldn’t have to be Navy that is an option. To be honest I really wonder why he got out.
edit on 12-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Boohoo. Welcome to the real world, buddy. When I got out of the military no one held my hand, gave me a job, a pension, or health benefits.

Get over yourself.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
Killing people, even under orders, even in a real war, has it's costs. he's paying his emotionally. But I think it's appalling that the government isn't supporting one they trained to do this.

He didn't do his full 20 so he's SOL. There millions of us former vets that spent our time in combat and get nothing so why should he be any different? So he killed Bin Laden so what?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join