It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Children Among Dead In Denver Shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Some of you are unbelievable.

The news isn't making this stuff up, they're reporting ACTUAL events. Yes, there is a problem in this country, and its name is guns,.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

This is just awful! those poor kids.

Seems to be all I am seeing in the news these days with regards to America.

Shootings have gotten out of control over there! Honestly people, how can you support everyone having guns? I really don't understand this at all :-( it seems far too easy for mentally unstable people to get a hold of guns over there.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You're hearing about it so much because that's what the media wants you to hear about right now, as the government is pushing for gun control. We need our guns to protect ourselves from not only criminals, but also the government. The 2nd amendment was made to prevent the government from ever being tyrannical.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I think you misread her post.
She's on "your side".

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Its horrible what this person did to the kids.

Gun violence/murders have dropped steadily over the past years.

If this was a murder with a knife or bat or car, we wouldn't have heard about it as much.

But the rate of gun murder is at its lowest point since at least 1981: 3.6 per 100,000 people in 2010. The high point was 7 in 1993.

Source about the crime

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
7 billion people on this planet

around 300m in america

wah wah a few people died? get real death is an everyday thing and you cant avoid it but you can pretend the lives of a few 'innocent' people actually matter and cry about it online if you really want. im done with this BS, life is infinite til this rock explodes so get over it.

are you going to post this nonsense every time an accident is reported? really america, why do you still drive cars? when an airplane goes down ? why cant you drive america! when someone machete's his family? damnit merica, you don't live in no forest, outlaw machetes!

even if 10,000 people died per day you WOULDN'T NOTICE UNLESS THE MEDIA TOLD YOU

edit on 6-2-2013 by oniraug because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's the popular thing to do to report on shootings these days. While my position is somewhere in the center on "gun control", those on the "anti-gun" side are doing all they can to get every single shooting out in the media, so it LOOKS like the shootings are increasing. It's political. It's fear-mongering. Keep that in mind.

edit on 2/6/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Why not keep reporting them?

When the response from the NRA, the GOP, and gun advocates to shootings are "these are very very rare"...why not keep reporting them to show people that these are in fact not rare.

IMO, it's not that the media is being irresponsible now that they are actually reporting these incidents...it's that they were irresponsible before for not reporting on them.

link   
The most commonly cited circumstance leading to murder is an argument. I bet if guns were as widespread here as they are in America then there would be many 'shootings' reported due to people flipping out and in the heat of the moment firing a gun. If guns were not so easily at hand then i bet some lives would not have been lost.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

It's the popular thing to do to report on shootings these days. While my position is somewhere in the center on "gun control", those on the "anti-gun" side are doing all they can to get every single shooting out in the media, so it LOOKS like the shootings are increasing. It's political. It's fear-mongering. Keep that in mind.

edit on 2/6/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

Why should they report on this? Are you saying there is an acceptable level of innocent people being murdered with guns that is low enough that it shouldnt be mentioned in the media?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

When the response from the NRA, the GOP, and gun advocates to shootings are "these are very very rare"...why not keep reporting them to show people that these are in fact not rare.

IMO, it's not that the media is being irresponsible now that they are actually reporting these incidents...it's that they were irresponsible before for not reporting on them.

The media reports it

creates "copy-cats"

more murders happen

Media stops reporting it, stops the copy-cats

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
16 year old, Denver born American killed by Obamas drone strike.

But the most controversial drone strike took place on Oct. 14, 2011, when 16-year-old Abdulrahman was killed by U.S. forces. Family of the Denver-born teenager say he had no ties to terrorist organizations and was unjustly targeted because of his father.

The difference is, one is a legal murder the other is illegal

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Originally posted by xedocodex

I'm not saying they shouldn't be reported. I'm reminding people to just keep in mind that they're being manipulated - from BOTH sides.

BOTH sides of this issue are pushing propaganda to support their position. BOTH sides are in fear-monger mode. Each side is as guilty as the other.

Meanwhile, there is a culture of violence in this country that is not being adequately addressed. If there were no guns, this story would read, "Two children strangled in Denver" and would still illustrate that the actual problem is not being addressed.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Are you saying there is an acceptable level of innocent people being murdered with guns that is low enough that it shouldnt be mentioned in the media?

If I was saying that, I would have said that.
But I didn't. You did. Please re-read my post to see what I said.

reply to post by scottromansky

I don't buy that, either. It's not like reporting a story makes some crazy person think, "Hey! I never thought of that"!

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The media reports it

creates "copy-cats"

more murders happen

Media stops reporting it, stops the copy-cats

No, this is the argument pro-gun people try to use to supress these incidents.

These incidents aren't new, they aren't more numerous, and they aren't going to go away if you close your eyes and plug your ears.

Show me proof that any of these incidents are "copy cats"...they are all very different circumstances.

But your attitude is exactly the reason the media needs to keep reporting on these shootings. Ignoring it isn't going to make them go away.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

If guns were not so easily at hand then i bet some lives would not have been lost.

Goes both ways, in this case how do you know the person didn't get the guns LEGALLY and had a permit to purchase said firearm(s).

Take sandy hook school shooting for instance, the mother was ALLOWED legally to own those firearms.

If you take guns away completely then crime goes up... Detroit has a "no gun" policy no guns are allowed in Detroit, explain to me why the crime rate went up 5.2% last year.

I know that answer because the criminals still have the guns and the law-abiding citizens got their guns taken away. Gun free zones don't work, look at the statistics.

5.2% jump in gun crime

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

This is just awful! those poor kids.

Seems to be all I am seeing in the news these days with regards to America.

Shootings have gotten out of control over there! Honestly people, how can you support everyone having guns? I really don't understand this at all :-( it seems far too easy for mentally unstable people to get a hold of guns over there.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is exactly why you are so seeing so much of this...to make everyone say, "how can you support having so many guns?" It's an agenda! And in order to accomplish an ultimate goal (disarming) then many people will have to pay the ultimate price, I guess.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yeah but what I am saying is that in 'some' case's if there was no gun present then the crime could have been avoided, in a heat of the moment circumstance, like during an argument. If the person did'nt own a gun in the first place. Like the majority of people in my Country for example.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Then the spike in domestic abuse will go up, knife attacks/murders jump, baseball bats goes up.

Basically its not the guns fault its the person that went crazy and attacked another person.

The first thing to blame is the gun, and i'm advocating that its the person not the gun.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

yes but you can not deny that if a man were to momentarily flip out for whatever reason, he could do a lot more damage/harm with a gun.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think the OP might be at the edge of this notion...

It's not really the guns that scare the world - it's our cultural obsession with them that is unhinging to others. The fact is that if all Americans were given an unavoidable ultimatum to either give up their firearms or their firstborn - a surprising number of us would give up our own kids.

There is a level of indoctrination implied there that is unfathomable to most other western nations.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think the 1982 Don Henley song, Dirty Laundry, says it all. It was as true then as it is now....even more so actually IMO. Here's a select excerpt from the lyrics....

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam In her eye
It's interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom
got a Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Link: Full Lyrics to Dirty Laundry
edit on 6-2-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2013 by Krakatoa because: formatting

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join