It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confounding Sequence of Big Quakes Rattle Santa Cruz Islands

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Uh oh, got a big one incoming... stay tuned..

holy crap!, pulling 6e6
edit on Fri Feb 8th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

that's looking like 7+

USGS: 7.0

Note: latest solution has that depth at 27 km, which does not fit the depth profile at all of previous seismicity for that location... Fricken weird.

That 7.0 is honing in on the actual subduction depth

Hold on people this could be a release of Biblical proportions.

A 9+ is looking more likely

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey

holy crap!, pulling 6e6

that's looking like 7+

Note: latest solution has that depth at 27 km, which does not fit the depth profile at all of previous seismicity for that location... Fricken weird.

This will most likely affect the America's side of the Pacific plate within the next few days or weeks, the only questions are where and when. Alaska - BC and Central America have seen some massive releases over the past 1/2 year give or take a couple of months, maybe Chile or Cali/Mexico are due for a big one.

All this movement on the Pacific Plate hinge point at Santa Cruz will certainly have an follow-on adjustment affect somewhere else on the Pacific Plate, hope it's not Japan.

edit on 8-2-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

holy crap!, pulling 6e6

that's looking like 7+

Speaking of "biblical proportions," the legend of King Solomon had it where he was the final king of the United Monarchy before it was "torn in two"/split. I know, it's hardly worth mentioning. Just that Solomon Islands might be aptly named (does anyone know what's happening with the plates, here?...are they moving apart, laterally, colliding?).

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
MAG 7.0 2013/02/08 15:26:40 -10.910 165.964 27.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.8 2013/02/08 11:12:13 -10.904 165.895 18.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.6 2013/02/07 18:59:16 -11.001 165.658 10.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.1 2013/02/07 08:03:41 -11.025 164.750 10.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.2 2013/02/07 00:30:11 -11.664 164.960 9.8 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.0 2013/02/06 13:54:54 -10.798 166.492 10.1 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.3 2013/02/06 06:35:20 -10.784 164.512 10.1 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 7.0 2013/02/06 01:54:15 -10.479 165.772 9.8 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 7.1 2013/02/06 01:23:20 -11.254 164.932 10.1 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 8.0 2013/02/06 01:12:27 -10.738 165.138 28.7 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.3 2013/02/06 00:07:23 -10.858 165.206 10.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.0 2013/02/02 18:58:07 -10.922 165.246 7.5 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.4 2013/02/01 22:18:35 -11.063 165.326 22.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.3 2013/02/01 22:16:36 -10.926 165.450 19.9 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.0 2013/02/01 05:36:40 -11.090 165.538 9.4 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.2 2013/01/31 03:33:43 -10.628 166.382 9.2 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS
MAG 6.0 2013/01/30 23:03:45 -10.518 166.486 10.0 SANTA CRUZ ISLANDS

The latest 7 mag is at a depth close to what the 8 magnitude quake was.

Also for those that haven't noticed, they've upgraded one of the 6s following the 8 to a second 7 mag, which happened to occur on the other side of the zone. As you can see from above, the size is not going down as one would expect it to be, being near the 72 hr mark since the 8.

Also, a recent 5.6 has come in at a 58.1km deep, the deepest quake yet I believe.

A visualization:

edit on 2/8/13 by Kitora because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hi TA, somewhere in this thread you mentioned about it possibly rupturing, well do we have any previous ocurances around the globe of such events during mans history that I can look into?

Also is rupturing different than breaking up?

And finally, what would happen if a plate does one or both of those things? Could it be at an extinction level event without the whole ring of fire kicking off?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

holy crap!, pulling 6e6

that's looking like 7+

This will most likely affect the America's side of the Pacific plate within the next few days or weeks, the only questions are where and when. Alaska - BC and Central America have seen some massive releases over the past 1/2 year give or take a couple of months, maybe Chile or Cali/Mexico are due for a big one.

All this movement on the Pacific Plate hinge point at Santa Cruz will certainly have an follow-on adjustment affect somewhere else on the Pacific Plate, hope it's not Japan.

edit on 8-2-2013 by PlanetXisHERE because: spelling

I guess time will tell if this is correct!!

However, my bet is on a 7+ down S. in Vanuatu AND OR 7.5+ from Papua to the area where the 9.0 took place in 2004.

I really think we are going to see a 8.6 to 9.2 in the same area as the biggie in Santa Cruz......So I guess we might be seeing a giant foreshock sequence

But having said all this non-sense...I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night; and two: My area of expertise is in landscape design and horticulture

So take this all with a grain of salt.....It is just a strong premonition!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkins

Hi TA, somewhere in this thread you mentioned about it possibly rupturing, well do we have any previous ocurances around the globe of such events during mans history that I can look into?

Sure, just look at the biggest quakes in history- Chile in 1960, Alaska in 1964, etc. etc. These are all examples of a fault "rupturing" with incredible force. Scientists claim evidence of this also happening in Cascadia. Some had foreshocks, and some didn't.

Also is rupturing different than breaking up?

Rupture as I refer to it means the breaking up of the friction that is holding the plates together. Breaking up could also mean the breaking up of a plate at the boundary zone. They think this might be happening up in Kamchatka, Russia. And also, recently, that this could be happening north of Santa Cruz Islands. These quakes could possibly be related to that process somehow.

And finally, what would happen if a plate does one or both of those things? Could it be at an extinction level event without the whole ring of fire kicking off?

lol, well The Last Survivors Chronicles (in my sig) takes this scenario to the extreme, but more based on Hapgood's theories of crustal displacement. At least, that's what the story espouses SO FAR.
But there is no question that if the Pacific Plate did decide to make a major move, it would be disastrous.

It's one thing to just say "I think these are foreshocks," but it's another to provide a reason why, which I believe is what I did in this thread, from the start. The quake parameters, mostly magnitude, were too close together, and I sounded the alarm. And so what I am looking for now, or in the next days, is to watch out for another 7.6+, which would put that way too close, and out of the norm, to the 8.0.

But it's not just that. It's the way they are happening, so far from the main shock. But in thinking back to Japan in 2011, I guess this also happened to a degree, after the 9.0- there were quakes triggered very far from the main area, all over northern Japan. In this case we have probable triggering that will take place west and south of the affected area in the future, and probably along the zone. Any areas that are effectively stress locked could be triggered.

But beware- earth hides its secrets well. If there is something happening with that Pacific Plate, we could see some quakes in odd spots. And that one northern 4.9 I mentioned earlier most definitely has my curiosity up.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

Those numbers do appear to be building up to something big. Very interesting and scary at the same time. Continuing to keep an eye on this.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I just finished reading all 14 chapters of your short story that is in your signature. I am hooked and can't wait to read more. You are an extremely talented writer. Bravo!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
EDIT- darnit, wrong thread...

Well, might as well make use of this space-

Ok, so I have been looking at some patterns in these quakes, and wanted to mention a line that seems to be present- was wondering if anyone else might have noticed this too. This line of quakes appears to lead directly to that very 4.9 off up to the north. Star to the first person to post it on a map, with the line drawn.

EDIT: Also, after another pause, small activity has again resumed on the fault. (below 4.5, and so you don't see it unless you are live monitoring with the right stuff...)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitora

Bingo. You nailed it, although the bottom part of that line a little up, to catch a piece of those above it.

That 4.9 is so weird, and that line seems to lead to it. The only reason I even mentioned it is because I remember the story of how in Japan, the seismologists, after researching precursors to the big 9+, discovered a long line of smaller quakes leading right up to the hypocenter of that massive quake.

And it would be just too bizarre if a massive quake occurred along that path line somewhere, especially north of the main activity, where there currently is nothing. Or perhaps in or around that 4.9. Just thinking out loud, really, and just sayin... I'm not like super sold on the idea or anything...

Edit, and check out where that 5.6 just occurred...
Right on that line...and I mean...dead on it...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Something that caught my eye is that if you continue the line out and connect it to North America, it passes through Hawaii, where several quakes have occurred recently, and to the southern end of the Juan de Fuca plate, where a quake also has recently occurred.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I live in southern Kyushu about 30 miles away from Sakurajima and last night at 9pm local time my house shook violently. I recognised it as an eruption immediately as the volcano is very active. But this was the biggest eruption since 2006.

The Pacific plate is heating up.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Kitora

Bingo. You nailed it, although the bottom part of that line a little up, to catch a piece of those above it.

That 4.9 is so weird, and that line seems to lead to it. The only reason I even mentioned it is because I remember the story of how in Japan, the seismologists, after researching precursors to the big 9+, discovered a long line of smaller quakes leading right up to the hypocenter of that massive quake.

And it would be just too bizarre if a massive quake occurred along that path line somewhere, especially north of the main activity, where there currently is nothing. Or perhaps in or around that 4.9. Just thinking out loud, really, and just sayin... I'm not like super sold on the idea or anything...

Edit, and check out where that 5.6 just occurred...
Right on that line...and I mean...dead on it...

Whoa...

You might be onto something here, TA.

The 5.6 that just happened a couple of minutes ago is in direct line with that 4.9, but closer back towards the subduction zone again.

edit on 9-2-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

reply to post by Kitora

I think this is plausible. Might not be what's going on, but it's certainly worth mentioning. I do see how a lot of recent quakes are near this line. In fact, here's a better map...

Best to right click it to see the full picture.

And so it's quiet again, but just watch, give it another 6-12 hours and then another 7 will pop.

...Maybe.
edit on 2/9/13 by Kitora because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Well there might be some possibilities- It could be a previously unknown, shallower fault structure that has reared its ugly head.

Or, it could be a brand new fault structure that is being created by powerful subduction forces at work, in a setting of very complex tectonics where these plates meet. The rock interface is so twisted and convoluted under there, it is very difficult to understand what is going on underneath. This is evident by all the crazy ways the moment tensors come up, showing that first motions are all over the place on varying axis orientations at varying depths. I still can't really get a good read on depth profiles there. It's just wacko!

Dunno, just thought that line was interesting... And she continues to rumble steady with small quakes. I saw that 5.6 come in of course, but at this point I am not likely to post estimates anymore, unless a bigger one occurs, like 6.5 and up.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Okay, too freaky...

Now this 5.0 is in the exact same alignment, but on the other side of the line...

I have to close my Earthquake Mashup tab... I'm getting all weirded out.

I think I need to take off my tinfoil hat.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Interesting that there was a 4.8 alot further west than the initial cluster.

been making my skin crawl watching this thing boil.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I am also watching the maps and ATS , I think anyone would admit this is a very specific unfolding of events.

My point was supposed to be , I have noticed when there are bouts of clusters in the Ring of Fire , Hawaii always throws out a 3 or low 4...

I just have that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach...ugh..

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join