It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confounding Sequence of Big Quakes Rattle Santa Cruz Islands

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Ummm...TA, you watching live right now? There is some wierd crap coming out of there at the moment. Looks like machine-gun fire.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Those shorter ones are closer to station, and that's what I've been saying...Low level activity has increased closer to Vanuato, south of the main rupture area...

The other ones are from the main area, but just under the 4.5 reporting mark. So yeah, glad someone else is seeing this so people don't think I'm nuts!

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute... You're not even monitoring SANVU... lol, never mind...

Nah that stuff is not seismic...Got those stations up too, and I see the frequency content...
edit on Sat Feb 9th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Here's a screen shot of what I'm looking at....

A little side note, my little dog is doing her earthquake freak-out thing. She did this last year when we had a rash of small quakes near our house. Hasn't done it in a long time. We'll see.

ETA: in reponse to your above edit. Okay! Thanks
edit on 9-2-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Check out the recent 5.3, by Tonga, way deep at 132km. Is this a stirring of something wicked this way coming?

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So much for the 6 or 7 hour break in bigger quakes!!

Another 6.3.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

It seems this has been the pattern.... a little lull, and then BAM!
edit on 10-2-2013 by radpetey because: The text must keep up with the thought.

And if I am not mistaken, this is the deepest 6 mag in this sequence at 35ish km.

Right smack dab in the subduction area

edit on 10-2-2013 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Man I hope if a big one is going to happen that it happens soon because my Dad and Stepmom are going on a two week cruise this time next month. I had a bad feeling when they told me they were going because I just know a big one is coming. I worry about a tsunami. Does anyone know if a tsunami way out in the open sea has any effect on a med size cruise liner? I want to tell them not to go but what if I'm wrong. Still I have a bad feeling.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPhoenix
Man I hope if a big one is going to happen that it happens soon because my Dad and Stepmom are going on a two week cruise this time next month. I had a bad feeling when they told me they were going because I just know a big one is coming. I worry about a tsunami. Does anyone know if a tsunami way out in the open sea has any effect on a med size cruise liner? I want to tell them not to go but what if I'm wrong. Still I have a bad feeling.

The top of the tsunami wave in deeper water is usually 0 to 3 meters, or just a little bump to a sea vessel in deep water.

Normal waves are whipped up by the wind or ocean current and affects only the first few meters of the waters surface.

However, with a tsunami, the force of the upward thrust from an earthquake, causes the whole body of water above it to lift in an instant
thus dispersing all the water in one or more directions.

It is all fine and dandy in deeper water, but as that mass volume of water reaches more shallow depths, it has nowhere else to go but up, thus causing the destruction that it does.

So to answer your question......Out at sea they would feel a mere bump, but I would not want to be anywhere near that place at the moment!!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So.....are we going with a 9.3 on Wednesday February 13th? I have been following this thread with some anticipation of something a lot bigger happening. If this area goes I really fear the after effects of a large quake and what it would to to the rest of the unstable areas in the world.

Could a really large quake here cause many more natural disasters in other areas or would it limit itself to this region? Just wondering if it could set off a chain reaction around the globe I guess.....not usually the worrying type, but this place has me a bit apprehensive...

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

No, the near Earth asteroid on Friday the 15th,
will be sucked in by the Earth's gravitational pull.
It will hit somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in the 'ring of fire',
which is already destabilized by all the quakes near Santa Cruz.

It will cause a huge tsunami just like in TA's 'Chronicles',
thus making him not only a good writer,
but a prophet/psychic in the eyes of the handfull of survivors,
who had been paying attention & reading his Chronicles & so were forewarned,
and went on to rebuild civilization!!!

THE END
WOQ

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
lol WOQ!

On another note, anyone see any transform faults here?

neic.usgs.gov...

Ahh nope. Purple=subduction zone, green=transform fault, and ahh, I don't see no green. (At least not where others are reporting the northwestern side of that fault to be a transform fault, I don't.)

Just a note to the otherwise wise, making maps.
edit on Sun Feb 10th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
lol WOQ!

On another note, anyone see any transform faults here?

neic.usgs.gov...

Ahh nope. Purple=subduction zone, green=transform fault, and ahh, I don't see no green. (At least not where others are reporting the northwestern side of that fault to be a transform fault, I don't.)

Just a note to the otherwise wise, making maps.

Ok i give...sry kinda dumb on the topic.
What is transform fault? And how does that fit into this scenario

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

This earthquake is located adjacent to a complex section of the Australia-Pacific plate boundary, where the Solomon Trench to the west is linked to the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) Trench to the south by a short segment of dominantly strike-slip plate motion.

Otherwise known as transform faulting.

Source
Cool graphics added to the summary page since Friday, too.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I posted in TAs other thread about the big quake last week, and I had said last week, all the way up here in south jersey, the sky rumblings were super loud and lasted for a couple days to the point that it agitated my dog & the dog was barking at the sky. Today the rumbling again seems just too loud, nonstop, and dog is agitated again. This is the best part. Apparently, I'm no alone!! Heard a few calls come into the police scanner today, from some worried residences, concerned with the noises from the sky. Just glad to be validated....hope there's no connection, but one never knows at this point.......

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

They will be docking at several Hawaiian ports. I just really don't want them out there and your right it would be scary if all of a sudden there was a huge rise in the sea.

I read this today and found it interesting ...

Thorne has been watching two enormous piles of rock that sit on the boundary between the core and the mantle. One pile is underneath the Pacific Ocean; the other under Africa. Scientists have known about them for 20 years, but Thorne saw something different. “I think this is the first study that might point to evidence that these piles are moving around,” Thorne says. Moving perhaps, but slowly and the piles are maybe 3,000 miles across. Thorne thinks, in fact, that the pile under the Pacific is actually two piles crushing up against each other.

Is earth cooking up another Super Volcano

Not that it will happen today, tomorrow etc but looks like something "may" happen one day.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

edit on 2/10/13 by j.r.c.b. because: Sorry, repost....

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine

This earthquake is located adjacent to a complex section of the Australia-Pacific plate boundary, where the Solomon Trench to the west is linked to the New Hebrides (Vanuatu) Trench to the south by a short segment of dominantly strike-slip plate motion.

Otherwise known as transform faulting.

Source
Cool graphics added to the summary page since Friday, too.

Yeah well I wish the USGS would make up its damn mind, cause not only does the historic seismicity map I linked to show that section as a subduction zone in purple, so does this:

I circled the area in question, and you can clearly see the arrows, indicating the subduction.

Transform faults are also marked in the document.
pubs.usgs.gov...

So I guess it just depends on who you talk to...at the USGS...

And dominantly strike-slip plate motion, means mostly, as in, there are other types of motion occurring as well.

We had this same situation with Japan on the southern boundary, with conflicting information. And a tsunami from hell generated in the 1923 Kanto quake, supposedly originating on a transform fault.

Point being, science is not absolute with a lot of things, and they can only give us their best interpretation, which changes over time. This is another grey area.

And also note that doc is recent:

First posted December 19, 2011

So it's not like I dug up something out of the 1950's.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have been watching this for some time now. I see some more lines that may be significant. All pass through those few quakes in the center.

Can anyone please check what this may mean?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I realize this will sound simple , I am posting regardless..lol

My friend and I keep up with quakes on a daily basis , several times a day. we sometimes notice "matching" quakes
across from each other , we call this "The Across from theory" ....

Most of the time the matching quakes are identical in magnitude ,sometimes not but always pretty close.

That's where I'll stop , I have very limited knowledge and will leave it up to you very impressive dabblers to discuss , it's all very exciting and I thank you for your passion and interest

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshwarchand777

The only problem with that is that the Planet is a Globe, not a flat piece of paper.
I know because I've flown at 35,000ft (in a plane) across the Pacific Ocean and the North Pole and you can see the curvature against the sky at that level.

or it could mean Hawaii is the Center of the Universe

edit on 11-2-2013 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It seems like other members are alluding to this in their posts, and believe me I am not one for fear mongering, but I might as well say what's on everyone's mind...

The west coast of the United States seems relatively untouched throughout this whole incident, and has been relatively calm in recent history.. With all of the action going on around the ring of fire it sure seems like a strong possibility that we could have some sort of correction opposite Santa Cruz due to all the movement.

I realize that the earths crust around the 'ring of fire' isn't just one gigantic solid plate, rather a puzzle if you will of many different colliding and moving pieces, but it would seem they are all connected of course one way or another and if one section starts moving it will increase stress along the rest of the fault lines almost as if it were a circle of dominoes. I am very far from being knowledgable about such things but to me it seems we have seen earthquakes happen opposite each other before in a correction type scenario, after all, that's one of the many attributes of earthquakes.. One section of crust moves into another causing stress and irritability.. Pressure accumulated through movement and friction..

It may not be tomorrow, it may not be this week or month, but it seems to me California (or more specifically the west coast of the North American continent) has been pretty lucky thus far, as far as all this earthquake action goes, and I'm frightened at the prospect while looking at a map of this unusual activity around the Santa Cruz Islands that we could have a similar experience closer to home (for us North Americans) if it is creating stress opposite itself on the ring of fire.

Simply conjecture from a novice, but I'm frightened none the less. Of course, that could be due to my novice status.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join