It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor to waitress: I GIVE GOD 10% WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU 18%?

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I am going to reconsider that practice seeing how people appreciate my tip money.

Naa, don't do that! If you feel like giving then give. I can only hope that there are many churches and "God" loving people who would frown on the pastor's behavior.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

Nope, I was trying to be very general. There was a lot of post in this thread about the topic and I just wanted to clarify a few misconceptions.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrBigDave
The amount of the tip should be based on the level of service you get. I do not think that it is right for a business to mandate a certain percentage for your tip.

Also, there have been many posts about the whole 10% tithe topic and some assumptions about how that money is spent. I have two different pastors in my family and I know that in most cases, the pastor does not get all of that money themselves. Some pastors get a set salary and some get a percentage. They do pay a tithe on the money that they get, but most put that in the general fund so that it does not come back to them. Also, keep in mind that the church has to pay a power bill, water bill, and other bills as well.

There is no excuse for the comment that this person made.

Like you, me too agree that tipping should not be mandatory, but come from one's heart and compassion for others, more so in America when the fact is that servers in the service industries - F&B, Hotels, restaurants, etc, have low pay to ensure biz owners can survive to keep employment floating.

One only gives if the service is deserved, and the consumer must not be expected to be treated like a King with snotty demands, for the servers are NOT slaves.

Equally, servers are only humans, and most do know that poverty or low income exists, and thus do not expect the poor or needy middle classes to tip even after good service is given out. The poor only constitutes 20% of the population, there's still 8 out of 10 that would help contribute and ensure the american server can live and love decently.

There are rich churches and equally poorly funded ones in USA, a reality many will understand. Tipping culture is based upon one's choice and decency in USA.

1. If the amerian pastor is good but poor, does he/she needs to go to a restaurant for a meal with his friends? Afterall, even a loaf of leftover bread shared with comprehension of the circumstance one is in, is more than enough to not only fill the stomach but the soul as well amongst true friends.

2. But as this 'pastor' chosed to eat in the restaurant, it is not a crime or sin, for obviously she had the funds to do so. And yet, after being given the attention an american waiter would traditionally gives, she NOT ONLY refused to give any tips, but WROTE insane remarks onto the bill, not to convert or convince a fellow human, but as AN EXCUSE to get away with moral theivery of an honest working man's wage.

Even more scary, as the leader of a congregation even though small, she is seen as a representative of the christian religion, that emphasises love, compassion and charity. Yet she demanded the dismissal of the workers for only honestly posting her misdeeds in public.

This is not the work of a person whom had been called for religion. Perhaps she may think she had been, and like most equally flawed humans, complaceny took over divine religious teachings and thus her inexcusable behaviour. May she take stock of her actions, and be responsible, acknowledge such mistakes and failings , so that she may progress and evolve in her leadership role and be a better human to lead her community.

And may her example, exhaustively discussed here that covers both religion and economics, help and guide others to make better and more informed decisions in life we all face daily as long as we breathe one more breath.

edit on 4-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
woooooooooooooow
still talking about this are we?

I wonder what the pastors congregation thought about her comment, just crossed my mind,

Anyway, as I stated earlier in the thread, two of my daughters are waitresses, they don't just wait tables for that below minimum wage pay, many times my daughter will take the order then have to go cook the food, most people never know about all the work they do behind the scenes, from cleaning to prep to cooking.

When they get off the floor it is usually a couple hours before they leave.
edit on 022828p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh man I just realized....this lady is not that bright. She did give the 6 and change tip. It was INCLUDED in the bill.....LOL

She crossed out the ADDITIONAL tip section. 34.95 has the 6 and change included.......LOL

Good. That is funny though. She could have called a manger over and spoken to him like an adult. She would have to explain her insane position with God and all that, but that would be the only way to remove that AUTOMATIC tip included.......she needed a new receipt.

I have had people do this at one place that had this policy. You explain why you are not satisfied and then the manager can inform the server where he was lacking. Usually they just don't like the mandatory nature of it. I have had people remove it to give MORE than 15%. One lady asked for it to be removed to give us 30%..She was really happy with us and wanted to show it.

This pastor would look like a cheap idiot but that is the only way after a bill is printed on most POS systems. That bill has to be voided and remade without the tip.....

Again.....good.

edit on 4-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

That is funny though.

You ain't kiddin!!

Guess she was just so full of the spirit of the lord over the check that she couldn't do the math

edit on 4-2-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Destination Now needs to start drinking and she can start here with 8 right off the top...drink up baby.... So we already said it was a black female pastor.....what is it about that so many do not understand?

Yay...started catching up on this thread about 9.45pm (GMT) am now happily merry, so not even going to get annoyed anymore :

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Aww is it over already

Eh it was a good one!

Anyone who's interested please feel free to check out:

A Servers Guide to Dining Out and Getting the Best Service

Or

If You Eat Out I Need to Talk to You

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

i was going off only what i have met, i have not met female pastors therefore being a male i super imposed the image i do know,

does not change the fact SHE is a piece of #$%^&

just like many super impose the image of Sex on their own gods, most males believe god is male, many women i have met belive she is a female,,,,
edit on 4-2-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
Aww is it over already

Eh it was a good one!

Anyone who's interested please feel free to check out:

A Servers Guide to Dining Out and Getting the Best Service

Or

If You Eat Out I Need to Talk to You

The conversation with you was over when you made an unfounded snide remark about me and refused to qualify it.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll give the links a miss, I have enough decorum and manners to know how to behave in a restaurant, I have never been rude or condescending to any member of staff who has served me in any capacity, whether in a restaurant or a shop or anywhere else

And as I previously said, all I really want from a waiter is to bring me the food and drinks I ordered in a reasonable time scale...I don't need a "dining out experience" just my meal, I've already got the experience in terms of the people I'm dining with, that's why I went to the restaurant in the first place, to spend time with my friends, the eating is pretty much secondary...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
reply to post by blackz28

Well this pastor was a woman, so you may want to review your post...
soo??? she cant be a drunk or a pedi ?/ i will admit at least we lucked out here cause the local priest was only a drunk
edit on 5-2-2013 by blackz28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
UM did I reply that to you by accident or something? I thought I shook you off of my leg like an annoying little dog, yet you still seem to want to talk to me

OH... you just want to prove to me you have manners and decorum.

OH please, my remark was not unfounded. This is a thread about an American pastor dining in an American restaurant. What was in question was Her actions as a pastor/along with the actions of the Server and the Restaurant...All you wanted to do was turn it into "We brits don't like to pay our servers and you Americans got it wrong thread" OVER and OVER....

I played along and tried to enlighten you on the realities of our system and how it works well for restaurant, server, and consumer. But you didn't want to hear it...

I addressed THIS very issue with my thoughts on it and a question, in it's own post, a few pages back...

Seems you ALL had something to say before, but yet none of you have addressed my questions, Go figure

edit on 5-2-2013 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

We brits don't like to pay our servers and you Americans got it wrong thread" OVER and OVER....

Err..yes we do, their employers pay them, and then we choose to go and eat in their establishments (or not) and pay their employers, works well...

Shaking me off like a dog...omg you are so rude and ill-mannered. That is all...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

I found many of the things you have said rude and condescending. But since you have already been called a douchbag, I let it go...

waiting is not a skilled profession and can be done by most

supermarket who is friendly and chatty doesn't have the opportunity to get a tip and gets paid the same as the grumpy one, so why should waiting staff be any different?

Duh...yes I know that...

Do you stick your fingers in and taste it?

Well your reading comprehension ability is sub-par..

so yes, I'd leave.

you must spend a large proportion of your working time in the kitchen!

Stereotyping much...

Well I don't know about your imaginary male pastor and HIS flock

So here is the post again in case you'd care to respond..

I don’t understand why people from the non-tipping 15% countries have a problem with the way we do things? I have seen it quite a few times now on ATS. Threads chit-chatting about an incident at an Applebee’s and in comes the Brits telling us we’re doing it wrong…

Why do you care?

You argue “Why not tip everyone!”

Going to the grocery store is a chore, the cashiers are nice enough making wages at or above minimum. They don’t normally get tips.

I guess Americans over the years have decided that when they go out to eat food, they are willing to pay a little bit more for the dining experience. We figured out a way that makes everyone happy and is fair. Sorry, American’s do like to be pampered and checked on. They don’t want to have to look for their servers, and a lot of them do like to chat and smile with their restaurant servers. They like knowing they have control over most of the server’s wage and feel good about deciding, on their own, if and what they’d like to tip.

Enough of them did for the 15% tip to become the norm for a good experience. Enough of them even for the legal low wages to be acceptable, and the irs taxing the sale regardless of the actual tip.

Why does it bother you?
Do American tourists tip their servers well in your countries?

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I found many of the things you have said rude and condescending. But since you have already been called a douchbag, I let it go...
waiting is not a skilled profession and can be done by most

supermarket who is friendly and chatty doesn't have the opportunity to get a tip and gets paid the same as the grumpy one, so why should waiting staff be any different?

Duh...yes I know that...

Do you stick your fingers in and taste it?

Well your reading comprehension ability is sub-par..

so yes, I'd leave.

you must spend a large proportion of your working time in the kitchen!

Stereotyping much...

Well I don't know about your imaginary male pastor and HIS flock

So here is the post again in case you'd care to respond..

I don’t understand why people from the non-tipping 15% countries have a problem with the way we do things? I have seen it quite a few times now on ATS. Threads chit-chatting about an incident at an Applebee’s and in comes the Brits telling us we’re doing it wrong…

Why do you care?

You argue “Why not tip everyone!”

Going to the grocery store is a chore, the cashiers are nice enough making wages at or above minimum. They don’t normally get tips.

I guess Americans over the years have decided that when they go out to eat food, they are willing to pay a little bit more for the dining experience. We figured out a way that makes everyone happy and is fair. Sorry, American’s do like to be pampered and checked on. They don’t want to have to look for their servers, and a lot of them do like to chat and smile with their restaurant servers. They like knowing they have control over most of the server’s wage and feel good about deciding, on their own, if and what they’d like to tip.

Enough of them did for the 15% tip to become the norm for a good experience. Enough of them even for the legal low wages to be acceptable, and the irs taxing the sale regardless of the actual tip.

Why does it bother you?
Do American tourists tip their servers well in your countries?

Oh dear...So your way of resolving issues is to call people names...I think that says enough about you, I have never resorted to personal insults and name calling in any of my posts, in any threads I have participated in and of course all of the lines you have quoted of mine are just so out of context and anyone who has actually read the thread can see that, as the majority are responses to other people, who have been rather rude themselves.

I've had also supported US waiting staff on many occasions throughout the thread, I think it is scandalous that a civilized country would treat one section of society so badly by paying them obscenely low wages, just so that people can eat out cheaply...

Maybe you should read the thread in its entirety rather than just read my posts in isolation and then perhaps you may become informed, and if that makes you think I'm condescending then so be it...everyone else can read the thread and make their own minds up...and if one person can actually show me where anything I have said is indeed "shady" then point it out to me...in full, not just taking one sentence from a reply, but an actual part of my discussion, including the posts I was responding to then I will take what they have to say on board (and notably I actually have done so on several occasions on this thread already) and adjust any viewpoints I have if necessary.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I didn't call you names, wth are you talking about? WHERE?

I've had also supported US waiting staff on many occasions throughout the thread, I think it is scandalous that a civilized country would treat one section of society so badly by paying them obscenely low wages, just so that people can eat out cheaply...

That's it!!! You think you are supporting our system by saying that?? NO you're telling us we're doing it wrong!!

ETA we are never going to agree and shouldnt even be talking about it. We (US &UK) dine and eat out very differently with different expectations. Nothing wrong with either way, you can pay it all to the Restaurant and get the service you get, or you can pay most to the restaurant and some to the server and get the service we get...Apples and Oranges

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

But since you have already been called a douchbag, I let it go...

So that's what you think? And you think that on this forum it is okay to call people doucebags because they have a different opinion (as a result of having a totally different culture)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Didn't see your edit...No I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's different here, that's why we don't tip...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Or your next edit...but you were quite happy to have a go at me anyway...Oh well...

Yes, you're right though, no point in carrying on the discussion...I would never write someone off though as being never able to agree with, perhaps not on this subject, but I never say never...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

NO That's not what I think and NO I don't like name calling. BUT I was getting annoyed with the way you were repling to people early on and wanted to correct you but had no need because you had already been corrected and unfortunatly called names. Sorry for you about that, but some people just call it like they see it and don't give a spit about your 'feelings' or 'manners'.

I edited previous post ...

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29 >>

join