It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cats kill 3.7 billion birds and 20.7 billion small mammals annually

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hi all

wow thats a staggering number. Cats that go outside kill between 30 and 47 birds a year,3.7 billion in total but when a couple hundred fall out of the sky its appocolyptic.

I believe these numbers too because my cat is always leaving a dead bird on my front porch or trying to come in the house with a rabbit he caught

I love my cat but man are they evil lol
www.theglobeandmail.com...

Domestic cats in the United States kill up to 3.7 billion birds and as many as 20.7 billion mice, voles and other small mammals each year, biologists estimated on Tuesday.

Cats are probably the biggest human-induced killer of these species, outstripping better-known culprits such as habitat loss, agricultural chemicals or hunting, they said in a study published in the journal Nature Communications.

This stood out to me

The paper says the estimates are much bigger than previously thought, and show that cats “are likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic [man-made] mortality for U.S. birds and mammals

maybe we should start keeping our cats inside..

edit on 30-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
My old cat killed at least two to three small animals a day.
I know this because she'd leave me presents at the foot of my bed if I didn't leave the window closed at night.

She was this little calicoe cat with a thousand yard gaze, total killer but very loving to her master

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Ha, yeah that topic has been in our news here in NZ a bit lately. Mainly cause of this guy called Gareth Morgan.

edit on 30-1-2013 by homeslice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This is true...

we are devious creatures!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Why do you think they weave between our legs when we walk?

Why did egyptians warship cats?

They are out to get us! Must worship!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

This stood out to me

The paper says the estimates are much bigger than previously thought, and show that cats “are likely the single greatest source of anthropogenic [man-made] mortality for U.S. birds and mammals

How can something a cat does be man made? That's silly.

If there were no humans, cats would still exist, and the fact that humans also keep cats indoors and have many of them neutered means that bird deaths are fewer than if all cats lived in the wild and weren't fed food by owners.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Stop thinking for yourself... right now!

These bird families are hurting in these bad times. Shame on you for inserting logic. You will go straight to hell, no 200 dollars for you!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I guarantee you that the cat population of the world is MASSIVELY inflated due to them having protection from the elements and predators which we provide them.

Naturally without human involvement the cat population would be much lower

Namaste.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
They are out to get us!

The cat is out of the bag...

They ARE plotting to kill you.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
That sooooooooooooo sad. We must ban cats. For the sweet little birds and cute little mouses!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
How can something a cat does be man made? That's silly.

Cat's are bred, protected, fed... all by humans. Their numbers are due to humans, and in some places in the world their presence is due to humans bringing them there. I'm not sure where you live, but cats aren't native here so the wildlife have no defenses against them, the results have been tragic. Dogs were brought here 4,000 years ago so at least the native animals had a little bit of time to become accustomed.

If there were no humans, cats would still exist, and the fact that humans also keep cats indoors and have many of them neutered means that bird deaths are fewer than if all cats lived in the wild and weren't fed food by owners.

No, the scientists disagree with your opinion. Cats lived in balance with the other species prior to humans intervening. Scientists have proven that the domestic cats contribute directly to falling bird numbers, and in some cases caused the extinction of those species.

I know we love cats, but 20 billion deaths is a nightmare. It's amazing how they kill more birds than we manage to with all our environmental destruction, all our chemicals, tree loppers, machines, pollution can't even match them. You've got to give it to them, they good hunters.

edit on 30/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Hi all

wow thats a staggering number. Cats that go outside kill between 30 and 47 birds a year,3.7 billion in total but when a couple hundred fall out of the sky its appocolyptic.

I believe these numbers too because my cat is always leaving a dead bird on my front porch or trying to come in the house with a rabbit he caught

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Domestic cats in the United States kill up to 3.7 billion birds and as many as 20.7 billion mice, voles and other small mammals each year, biologists estimated on Tuesday.

Cats are probably the biggest human-induced killer of these species, outstripping better-known culprits such as habitat loss, agricultural chemicals or hunting, they said in a study published in the journal Nature Communications.

This stood out to me

maybe we should start keeping our cats inside..

edit on 30-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

Quite honestly that is the same as saying 1 in 4 had the h1v1 viruse last flu season, And to this day I havent met --anyone-- that has had it. I work Construction.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Imagine this however.

You wake up one morning, and as you step outside to get the paper, 3.7 billion birds and 20.7 billion other small animals set upon you in a ferocious rage as they try to eat your face off.

You'd wish you had a cat, then.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Cat's are bred, protected, fed... all by humans.

That isn't completely true, not all countries are the same when it comes to cats. Think bigger people, not everywhere is as super civilized as where you might be.

Here in france there are very few cats bred for commercial purposes and most kittens come from un-neutered cats, many who wander from area to area living a more natural existance. There are always people seeking homes for them.

I have seen many wild and undomesticated cats in Spain, Malta, Canary Islands and Portugal and I'm sure there are plenty of other countries with an excess of cats due to a LACK of human intervention.

Take humans out of the equation and there's nothing to stop their natural breeding. Cats are incredibly intelligent and amazing survivors and they do a few things really well, one of them is mating. Remove the unnatural act of neutering and cats can have lots of offspring.

Maybe if this is a concern for U.S. citizens (which this survey was based on) perhaps you should declaw all cats and take away their "2nd amendment right to bear claws", or would that go against the cat constitution?

I like butterflies, dragonflies and many other insects.... let's get rid of all the birds who eat them.
edit on 30/1/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Ayep thats the way it is......
Not to mention the billions of birds who bash their brains out on skyscrapers as they migrate or what have you....
We brought the starlings to america look how well that turned out....we had to bring the cats then....

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
De-sexing and bells on collars.

Problem solved

Its not cats that kill birds and small mammals, its irresponsible cat owners

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

I know we love cats, but 20 billion deaths is a nightmare. It's amazing how they kill more birds than we manage to with all our environmental destruction, all our chemicals, tree loppers, machines, pollution can't even match them. You've got to give it to them, they good hunters.

The 20 billion number was for the small mammals, most of them rodents. Mice and rats. And yes, I think mice are adorable, even some rats are kind of cute
, but mice and rats also spread disease (remember the plague?), decimate farm crops, get in houses and break into your food, chew house wiring, eat your soaps.......

Anyone living in a rural area, appreciates the good job cats do keeping the mouse population down.

Although birds being collateral damage is sad.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
De-sexing and bells on collars.

Problem solved

Its not cats that kill birds and small mammals, its irresponsible cat owners

No, it's cats doing what they do naturally. Irresponsible cat owners feed their cats rubbish from packets and tins.

I'd rather mine hunted than ate manmade food.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Fair call

You can feed your pets decent food without the risk of them killing endangered or protected species.

Mine get Iams dry food and beef and chicken off cuts, occasionally liver as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
For the record, I am not a cat hater. But I cannot speak for my dog. She is old school. She is not politically correct with acceptance and tolerance. Nope. Straight Tom and Jerry (and Spike).

She loves cats. Thinks they're crunchy. Perhaps she is just doing her part to help balance things out. Never have there been so many feline predators per square foot than in a modern city or suburb. Her actions make for some awkward neighborhood conversation though.

'Have you seen my Fluffy?'
'No Mrs Smith, can't say I have.'
'Are you digging holes in your yard to plant some flowers?'
'Flowers? Uhhh, yeah flowers. Can never have enough flowers.'

top topics

<<   2 >>

join