It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority of smokers do not have lung disease?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I used to smoke. I quit because I was scared of getting lung cancer. To me it sounded like if you smoke, you will die from lung disease. It became all I thought about and eventually I just quit. Now this jerk goes and says this:
Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for transplant, study finds

Only about 20 percent of smokers actually develop the worst effects of smoking, noted Hachem.

The majority of people who smoke do not have lung disease,” said Hachem,

- Dr. Ramsey Hachem, a pulmonologist and transplant surgeon

You're kidding me right? Everything said about cigarettes these days is about how they will kill you. Now they're saying only a minority of smokers develop lung disease?

I know people still die from lung cancer, and this one guy saying this does not really ease my fears about the whole thing, but it makes me wonder.

Even when I did smoke my daily routine included, and still includes, riding a bike 6 miles a day, 3 mile run, 2 mile hike through the woods. Every day. I'm never out of breath or coughing.

Now my dad on the other hand gets out of breath walking up a flight of stairs.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

After watching someone very close to me die as hard as I could ever think to see in a hospital setting....due to a highly aggressive smoking related lung cancer? Well..They may have some truth in this. Look at George Burns, after all. Not every smoker dies of it.

However.... Coming up snake eyes on that gamble means a death worse than most would want to imagine, IMO. Is it worth it for the puffs on the cancer stick? Seeing it in person brought me to quit as a life time smoker by whatever means it took and I did. over 2 years now with no regrets and no cravings to this day, once I was 100% clear and nicotine detox'ed.

It's up to the smoker I guess.....but in a world full of things to gamble on and with? This is the last thing I think anyone would WANT to if they all had seen what some of us have in holding the hand of a loved one torn to pieces by that damned cancer.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Uhmmm, well i'm a smoker. Normally a half pack or if it is a " Rainy " day in the office maybe a full pack. I do work out. And still run 1-2miles a day, cardio baby~yea~!!!

I also have friends who are the same type of smoker and they do they additionally run 1-2miles a day if not 5miles.

Is smoking bad? Well the chemicals they use are very dangerous. I will agree 100% , though makes me think, i've been smoking for at least 15 years.. Better half of my life no health issues.

Just wanted to add to the OP... As i'm not a scientist or have an MBA but I do have my daily routine and one hell of a weird body type I guess. Star for you~ Never new a experiment like this was ever documented.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Your dad is older than you!

Besides that, Ismoke nad don't have disease that I know of. My grandmother smokes and has done for 72years, no lung disease. My grandad smoked for 65years, no lung disease. Bowell cancer and dementia got the better of him. R.I.P Grandad.

eta:: My mum has smoked for 45years, no lung disease. Maybe we just have good genes.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I still smoke.
I started smoking cigars at age three.
I switched on and off chewing tobacco, snuff, cigars, pipes and cigarettes over the years.
I went tobacco free for nine years in my mid twenties to mid thirties... it sucked.
I figure I won't live forever.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I wonder how much that Doctor's kick back was to write that...

From the CDC's website

Tobacco use leads to disease and disability.
~Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, and lung diseases (including emphysema, bronchitis, and chronic airway obstruction).1
~For every person who dies from a smoking-related disease, 20 more people suffer with at least one serious illness from smoking.2

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.
~Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.3
~In the United States, smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., about 443,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1
~On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.4

CDC

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Its probably because there is a bigger market in those plastic cigs and drugs to stop smokers smoking. Either that or the people who own the none smoking drugs and toys funded the govts last couple of elections

and people can get lung cancer from other things too. Maybe the people who are likely to get it from smoking are just as likely to get it from spending to much time in a highly populated and poluted city or dusty smokey factory.
edit on 29-1-2013 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2013 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

no matter what science says, smoking is bad m`kay?
iam trying to quit it but its hard for me,,,

bu the way, someone has a cool avatar... big trouble in little china..

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Ma's 85 could probably run a marathon if she could remember what she's doing. Been smoking for 70 years. Dad died a few years back because of a medical mistake for a simple operation. Smoked for 60 some years.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I suspect there is more lung disease than just smoking. My old man is 63, he first started smoking at a very early age (not more than 10). That's more than 50 years of smoking. He has never had smoking related health issues. To this day...he only feels back pain due to his work position.

I myself have been smoking more than 15 years, minimum a pack a day. I have yet to feel any discomfort because of it. I am however out of breath when climbing stairs, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I have stopped practicing any kind of exercise in the last 5 years.

Now I'm not promoting smoking here. It's poison for sure. Defo no vitamins in there.

But, a human body is a fantastic machine...it will adapt to most conditions over time, if you do not over do it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yes, and we all know how honest and caring the government is toward us! Ruff...ruff, little sheep. Head this way!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
reply to post by jhn7537

Yes, and we all know how honest and caring the government is toward us! Ruff...ruff, little sheep. Head this way!

So are you denying the stats the Govt. releases about tobacco?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Why are you all finding this surprising? Smokers organs have been used over here for years for transplants. It has been noted as one of the greatest hypocrisies around.

You know those pictures of black lungs they put on cig packets and call "smoker's lung"?

they're a lie

if they are even human at all....

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.

So you're saying that TPTB would want to prevent population death....?

Hah...doubt it. Various diseases, natural and artificial ones, play in to "their" hands. Only it's not politically correct to say it publicly.

Imagine that no one has ever died from smoking related disease? or any other preventable ones?

We would be over populated in the next 100 years.

The studies about harmful effects of tobacco have been done for some time now. They are out in the open and accepted by the establishment. We apparently know the full effects of smoking.

So why don't they ban it ? completely?

Why can you legally buy poison, not only that, it is advertised even....?

I'm a smoker...but I would support the full ban on tobacco products....so why don't they just do it for the sake of public health...? Don't they want their public to stay alive and healthy?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years now, and I ride my mountain bike for miles, chop a lot of wood in the yard, and do everything a non smoker can do just as well as far as breathing well.

It's not JUST cigarettes that cause lung disease, it's cigarettes PLUS an X factor combination.

I eat as healthy as possible and try to take care of my health. If I smoked that much "and" ate GMO foods, drank fluoridated water, ate GMO/MSG fast foods, drank a lot of beer, etc..... then I probably will develop plenty of health related issues, including lung distress.

Do I have good genes? Probably not, but I'm also not playing roulette with switching my genes on & off eating GMOs and poisoning my system daily with fluoride.

George Burns lived to 100 smoking cigars.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Do I really need to, given the gov's track record? You are perfectly welcome to believe in whatever lie they want to tell you, I on the other hand, choose to believe in what I observe and experience.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gbriggs
Why are you all finding this surprising? Smokers organs have been used over here for years for transplants. It has been noted as one of the greatest hypocrisies around.

You know those pictures of black lungs they put on cig packets and call "smoker's lung"?

they're a lie

if they are even human at all....

That link you posted deserves a thread on it's own....

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajay59
reply to post by jhn7537

Do I really need to, given the gov's track record? You are perfectly welcome to believe in whatever lie they want to tell you, I on the other hand, choose to believe in what I observe and experience.

So because the Govt. lied before they must be lying about tobacco??? So in your world you either believe everything or believe nothing, that's nice... So please tell me how great cigarettes and tobacco are, because reading what they Govt. says they suggest it's god awful for you. So going off your logic they must be wrong or lying, so PLEASE educate me on the subject of tobacco and cigarettes...
edit on 29-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It's your personal choice to smoke, but why would you ever smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day? Why would you pay $12-15 bucks per day to inhale known toxins? I just don't get it... Maybe you can enlighten me. I get you're addicted, but why not try to quit?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join