It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anon Hacks DOJ, Releases Encrypted File

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

I hear you there.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

All good bud, I'm a big fan of not plagiarizing the work of others.

I loved the last time an encrypted file was released, and the discussion that came with it. Can't wait to see what comes out of this one!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by xquietonex

I just had to reboot .. could be a very active effort to suppress ... or I crashed for some normal reason .

I'm going to wait for the short to go viral ..should be soon .

My AV just went off again .. damn they are not playing around .

Be safe .

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Here here! Just make sure not to get your hopes up too much. The other thread I linked to showed a video where Anonymous suggested that this information would be like a cyber "nuclear warhead". That is putting a lot of weight onto this information and if it fails to deliver it will severely hurt their credibility. As it stands right now, only Anonymous and the government knows what is contained in the encrypted files. The government needs to assess the gravity of this information and see how damaging it is. Of course the government has also had a long standing policy of never to submit to terrorist demands.

Once the information is released we will see if it will live up to the hype that Anonymous is presenting. I am personally remaining skeptical due to many other whistleblowers swearing that they can blow the lid off of the government's secrets with their information and then nothing comes of it.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Dodgy to download something that large, when we have no idea what it contains...could be anything.

Thing is, Anonymous is anonymous..so who knows who's really putting this, whatever it is, out there?

Gov tracking software, distribution of a kind of localised 'kill switch', targeting only 'undesireable elements', leaving the Trillions in online business intact.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I hear ya, sentiment echoed by many others, it would seem.

I'm more interested in the reaction from the DOJ and Fed Gov than what information is actually contained in the file.

The official reaction will likely tell the story of how much of an issue or non-issue the info is. If it were me, and I had some blockbuster info on corruption or whatever, I would just release it.

The method reeks of a PR stunt to me, although could just be an attempt to garner public interest prior to release. Time will tell, and I sure hope there's some fire for all the smoke!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

You are right, it could be anything at this point. It would be foolish to take the chance in any form on this.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Dodgy to download something 1/100 of that size these days!

I for one, won't be attempting it...but you have to admit the curiosity factor is appealing...

I'll wait for reports from the braver-than-myself, and watch for the release of the key.

I was wondering-surely the key can be brute-forced? Like they do with bitcoin mining? Bitcoin is a 256 bit key, no?

edit on 27/1/2013 by xquietonex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ya, downloading is one thing, the key is a whole nother ballgame of unknown.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

You are hitting it right regarding dis-info, I don't think the general population can discern between what video is really Anon or some government shills. This is why I would hope Anon openly states they are finished with threats and videos, imo it works against the cause. Give us the info we need, do it without notice, let the people grow and learn and create the future they want with said info. Anon's ability to do the things they do makes them as dangerous as our governments if we the citizens are left speculating outside the loop.

Can't, the people need to be made aware of anon so that the elite hackers of anon have a fan base to hide behind. Any face that's a quite face can go missing without a trace, but any face remembered any place won't be forgotten without a case.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrypticSouthpaw

Originally posted by el1jah

You are hitting it right regarding dis-info, I don't think the general population can discern between what video is really Anon or some government shills. This is why I would hope Anon openly states they are finished with threats and videos, imo it works against the cause. Give us the info we need, do it without notice, let the people grow and learn and create the future they want with said info. Anon's ability to do the things they do makes them as dangerous as our governments if we the citizens are left speculating outside the loop.

Can't, the people need to be made aware of anon so that the elite hackers of anon have a fan base to hide behind. Any face that's a quite face can go missing without a trace, but any face remembered any place won't be forgotten without a case.

Ummm, huh?

I get the need for PR stunts, but there has to be some substance at some point. Hopefully, this is it

I'm hoping the file contains some juicy DOJ-SCOTUS emails....that would make for an interesting read!
edit on 28/1/2013 by xquietonex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

I'm calling propaganda on this entire warhead. but since my life sucks and I haven't much to lose anyway... I'm downloading the file and I'll get back to you.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by xquietonex
reply to post by MysterX

Dodgy to download something 1/100 of that size these days!

I for one, won't be attempting it...but you have to admit the curiosity factor is appealing...

I'll wait for reports from the braver-than-myself, and watch for the release of the key.

I was wondering-surely the key can be brute-forced? Like they do with bitcoin mining? Bitcoin is a 256 bit key, no?

edit on 27/1/2013 by xquietonex because: (no reason given)

Yes, it can be bruteforced, but it will takes ages. From Wikipedia:

AES permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2^128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (10^18) AES keys per second (if such a device could ever be made - as of 2012, supercomputers have computing capacities of 20 Peta-FLOPS, see Titan. So 50 supercomputers would be required to process (10^18) operations per second) would in theory require about 3×10^51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.

3x10^51 is an astronomically huge number.

In bruteforcing, it is generally considered that one would find the correct answer after having searched through 50% of the combinations, but even that is still astronomical.

But only if the key was 100% randomly created using the entire 256-bit keyspace, which it probably is.

About keyspace: let's say you want to create a 256-bit AES key. One way is to come up with a password, and let's assume that you only use lower and upper case letters and digits. So you come up with a long password consisting of letters and numbers. Then what you would do is, run it through a 256-bit hashing algorithm - like SHA256, to turn that password into a 256-bit key which you can then feed to AES.

This is how keys get bruteforced. Basing them off a weak password.

Because the method to devise the password never had values that were outside a certain range (let's say 32-94) as seen in bytes, whereas a truly random key would have values as seen in bytes, that range from 0-255 MEANING an attacker would have to test waaaaaaaaaaaay more combinations. But you could still create a weak key by haphazardly choosing values from 0-255 for the 4 bytes that make up a 256-bit key. There will always be some weakness in using a key that was not truly random.

And what is true random? NOT something that was generated by a computer or man himself, but that comes from sources that have no predictable pattern, like variances in atmospheric pressure, variances in radioactive decay of certain elements, cosmic background noise etc. etc. things from "the real world" that have a random nature to it.

edit on 28-1-2013 by pslind69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I think the Stratfor hack was HUGE.

Just persona
I am nervous for them... so many are just poor kids that want to make a difference.

My hope is that they are teaching the ones that want to learn.
edit on 28-1-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I wonder when they will release some real deal, in plaintext.

What's the use of these games? "We will blow our encrypted bomb in case you... [enter your demands here]"

Blow it already!!!

I might make two hundred 1Gb AES-256 encrypted "bombs" from my music folder, leaving you bruteforcing it until the kingdom comes

edit on 28-1-2013 by CaptainAbstract because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldDisorder

I like you attitude, LOL! I just figure we are all probably on a list or two somewhere just for being on this site, so one more wont hurt. ima get it too.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hell i will download the file. where is it? As long as it is not pedo candy or marketed as such i will download it. how do i find this file now?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Bringing my comment from the other thread over to this one, because I know some might not check over there:

I stumbled across an article on Daily Dot, and my jaw dropped reading it. The author says he was contacted and told the files contain Witness Protection Program information. Names & all. He goes on to say he is then told the file on doxbin is a fake, but I honestly don't know what to make of it. If the file circulating out there is the same as the one on doxbin, it could be a fake, filled with nothing useful. OR...the one on doxbin could well have been a fake, but the contents in the one circulating might in fact be the real names & locations of people in the WPP. If it turns out to be the latter, it would certainly fit with it being "collateral damage". It would be a definitively sharp deviation from Anonymous' philosophy of non-violence, because people would surely end up killed with their identities revealed like this.
If it really is the WPP list, then it's without a doubt completely unacceptable methodology, and I don't think I can support the group any longer.

Here's some of what the author says in his article:

]As of midnight Friday PST, Anonymous had hacked the front page of USSC.gov, replacing the normal content with a statement, a video, and a series of links to downloadable files.

Twelve hours later, the site, that of the United States Sentencing Commission, which sets sentencing guidelines for the federal courts, was down.

And 24 hours after that, the worldwide hacktivist collective allegedly dropped an “Anonymous Warhead,” as the subject line proclaimed in an email the Daily Dot received early Sunday morning from an Iranian domain. The leak contained a series of hundreds of names and addresses attributed to the Witness Protection Program, a program supervised by the United States Marshals Service to keep witnesses in danger safe before, during and after their testimony. (Due to the sensitivity of the information disclosed, the Daily Dot has elected to not link to the actual release.)

He goes on to say:

Update: @AnonymousIRC, one of the more reputable Twitter channels for Anonymous activity, claims the "USSC on @doxbin is a fake," comprised of data "ripped from a two year old document."

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The file can be found on TPB named - Warhead-US-DOJ-LEA-2013
It includes 9 files. 8 which weigh in at 153,600KB and 1 with the excess data at 135,911KB

It's there if you want it.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't want to be a party pooper but what makes you think that Anon has the encryption key?

If anything, they managed to get into a server with encrypted files and download them.. not very usefull since its AES256... takes a LOT of time and computer ressources to crack that (think about years, not days) .

I'm pretty sure they don't have the key. So these files are useless.. Another PR stunt.

Anyone remember what got out of the previous encrypted files they shared? nothing much..

Or maybe they encrypted the files themselves? In that case i believe they have the key but also that this is no 'secret' info if they got it without encryption.

Peace out.
edit on 28-1-2013 by bigwig22 because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>

join