It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca Cola Murders Union Plant Workers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Anyone like a nice, refreshing Coca Cola? I do too, it's a cool beverage. But, alas, all good things come with a price. Is the true price of Coca Cola about a buck for a bottle of it? Or is there a hidden cost?

Well, Coke might pass the savings on to you, but those savings are shaved from the backs of it's workers. When the workers try to organize to prevent themselves from being exploited, Coca Cola might lose a percentage of it's profits. And since when have South Americans been real people in the eyes of corporations? So what's the most obvious solution?

Well, if you're like Coca Cola, you'd decide to send paramilitary death squads to murder the union leaders. That's always effective. Of course, Corporations have de facto immunity to the law, so nothing happened to them. Drink coke, folks. Or else.

(Sources: colombiajournal.org...)
edit on 25-1-2013 by Grifter42 because: Edited for clarity.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
A enjoy a good corporation bashing as much as the next guy, but you really should post some links to support what you have written. Maybe you could include the CIA somehow in this scenario?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

As much as I'd like to, I can't really link the CIA to them. I mean, the CIA is in on the coc aine trade, but Coca Cola hasn't had coc aine in it since the early 1900s. If you're aiming to stereotype me as crazy, I don't much care for it. The sins of the Coca Cola corporation are numerous. John Pemberton knew what he was doing when he created his beverage. He knew it'd have addiction potential. Only, the way he saw it, that was repeat customers.

I think it's creepy, how indoctrinated the average person is in regards to Coca Cola. It's bigger than several religions.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

A quick google had this pop up.

On February 25, 2010, another human rights abuse lawsuit against Coca-Cola was filed in the Supreme Court of the State of New York and later moved to federal district court. "This case involves a campaign of violence - including rape, murder, and attempted murder - against trade unionists and their families at the behest of the management of Coca-Cola bottling and processing plants in Guatemala." It should be noted what happened in the '70s and '80s in Guatemala City:

According to "Soft Drink, Hard Labor" published by the Latin America Bureau (UK) in 1987, "For nine years the 450 workers at the Coca-Cola bottling plant in Guatemala City fought a battle for their jobs, their trade union and their lives. Three times they occupied the plant — on the last occasion for 13 months. Three General Secretaries of their union were murdered and five other workers killed. Four more were kidnapped and have disappeared. Against all the odds they survived."

killercoke.org/

Didn't see anything about the cia and i think it might be a little bit biased against coca cola
but its got a catchy web address.
edit on 25/1/2013 by skuly because: my really poor spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
And there it is. The truth, unobfuscated. Coke has skeletons in it's closet.

On one hand, wholesome all-american company. On the other, it's crushing human rights with an iron fist and the butt of a gun. Why must we constantly be under the yolk of merciless monolithic corporations?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Coca Cola still uses a coca leaf extract. The Stepan Company in New Jersey " is the only commercial entity in the USA authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration to import coca leaves, which come primarily from Peru. Approximately 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year. The coc aine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the coc aine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes."-wiki

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This isn't new news. Coca Cola have long had a history of this kind of dispicable behaviour and human rights abuses. As do many of the large companies who hold us to ransom over/under their umbrella companies.

Anyone say "nestle"?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter42
I mean, the CIA is in on the coc aine trade, but Coca Cola hasn't had coc aine in it since the early 1900s.

I remember reading something a while back to the effect that they still use a coca leaf extract for flavoring, but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Originally posted by BACONHAWK
reply to post by Grifter42

Coca Cola still uses a coca leaf extract. The Stepan Company in New Jersey " is the only commercial entity in the USA authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration to import coca leaves, which come primarily from Peru. Approximately 100 metric tons of dried coca leaf are imported each year. The coc aine-free leaves are sold to The Coca Cola Company, while the coc aine is sold to Mallinckrodt, a pharmaceutical firm, for medicinal purposes."-wiki

Yup, thought so.

edit on 25-1-2013 by twitchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Also a thread about South America and Coke here: End of capitalism - Boliva to expel Coca-Cola

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Huh. I wonder just what exactly is the extract they're using, chemically speaking? Is it still stimulative? I'm curious. In the mean time, here's the formula for coca cola's secret flavoring, Merchandise 7X.
1 qrt alcohol
80 oil orange
40 oil cinnamon
120 oil lemon
20 oil coriander
40 oil nutmeg
40 oil neroli

This here's the formula for the flavoring, according to John Pemberton himself. Of course, it doesn't specify it exactly, but I see no reference to Coca in the original flavoring. The coc aine was added separately, like they do with Caffeine now. I find it doubtful that they're just trying to replicate the 'Flavor" of old coc aine containing coca cola.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Show me an American Corporation operating in any South/Central American country that is not involved in exploitation and intimidation of workers and I will show you a 14 inch Penis.

I just returned from Costa Rica, Coconut palms, sugar cane and coffee, all come with a price. That price is poverty and crime. Some of the locals swing machetes for an entire day for just a few bucks.

Dole has also been accused of crimes against it's workers. Apple abuses it's workers in China, it goes on and on. If Americans actually produced anything (besides guns) their workers would also be getting underpaid if at all possible. If not possible, they outsource the jobs.

Corporate America has the ethic of a homosexual prison inmate with a life sentence. Raping and stealing from anyone weaker than themselves.

BTW both Adidas and Puma were found by two brothers in Germany. Both brothers were card carrying members of the Nazi Party. As Americans we simply don't give a crap who makes the money as long as we can fulfill our manic desire to consume and buy crap from companies that don't even care if we live or die unless it affect their bottom line.

PS I have not bought a Nike Product in years. I don't support child labor.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i'am going to go buy a coca cola right now.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Wait are you saying that Columbia is corrupt? Please tell me something I don't already know. Columbia and others have been corrupt for a long time. Everybody knows that, there is nothing new under the sun.

It is not the fault of Coca Cola any more than it is the fault of the American Government. Its because the columbian government is corrupt and always has been in recent history. It just so happens that we import natural resources from there as it is one of the only places in the world with said natural resources.

Wait are you saying Nike pays for child labor, but they also support gay marriage and planned parenthood. How could that be?
edit on 25-1-2013 by txinfidel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
This isn't new news. Coca Cola have long had a history of this kind of dispicable behaviour and human rights abuses. As do many of the large companies who hold us to ransom over/under their umbrella companies.

Anyone say "nestle"?

Nestle too? For fudge sake. I just got over the Hershey's "intern" fiasco. Time to learn how to make chocolate from cocoa powder. I swear there will be a day when I don't have the time to work because I spend it all re-creating foods the corporatocracy hath shat upon.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It isn't some all or nothing type thing. Just because there's tons of companies that do this sort of thing doesn't make it any less morally outrageous. We still ought to be offended at this instance of corporate abuse of power and strongarming of the little man.

The reason Coca Cola stands out to me is because of how much of a symbol of American culture it is. A symbol of the global agenda. A symbol of imperialist corruption.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Nobody cares about murdered civilians unless they are American citizens, it seems. A mother smothers a single child in Florida and half the nation cries out for the death penalty. A corporation authorizes the mass killings of anyone who dreams for a better wage, and it's just business as usual.

There ought to be a word for things like this. Not a war crime, but a peace crime. A crime committed not in hot blood, but in pure, calculated corporate greed.

new topics

top topics

join