It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Panetta removes military ban on women in combat, opening thousands of front line positions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
hi all

this is just breaking via a tweet.. So I dont have any info yet

this is huge if its true. I think women should be allowed in combat.. I mean why the hell not?

twitter.com...
edit on 23-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

found another link... Looks like its true... hundreds of thousands of positions, thats alot of jobs that women couldnt have..

It didnt make any sense.. If Hillary can be secretary of state why the hell cant women fight?
www.9wsyr.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senior defense officials say Pentagon chief Leon Panetta is removing the military's ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

from the wall street journal

online.wsj.com...

The announcement will mark the largest expansion yet of women in combat roles. But defense officials said they don't expect the change to result in women being allowed to serve as infantry troops

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Link to the tweet would help.

EDIT: You did. Thanks.

Now, this is some pretty big news, if true. I'm sure women will be overjoyed at no longer being "second rate" soldiers.

Reminds me of the scene and universe of Starship Troopers.
edit on 23-1-2013 by inivux because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2013 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
More fodder for the front!

Another win for equality.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'd imagine that regular pregnancy testing would be mandatory as no one wants a pregnant woman on the front line

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The vast majority of females in the military do not want direct combat related jobs. At least in the Marine Corps anyway.

Last year the Marines opened up Infantry Officers Course to female Marines, as of right now 3 females have volunteered to attend the school. They all washed out back in October.

ETA:

Now with that being said, there will come a time when females will be allowed to serve in the infantry. It's inevitable.

Do I think it's a good idea? No. But I'm not in charge, so what I think doesn't matter.
edit on 23-1-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
I'd imagine that regular pregnancy testing would be mandatory as no one wants a pregnant woman on the front line

Why not? The US is a warrior state always fighting forward for the empire.

A child born on the battlefield will surely rise to great things.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ohhh look more Americans for the Taliban to shoot at……

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Boost the morale of women, so they can potentially die.

No more wars!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wasn't there a push for equal rights a while back?

Thought so.

If women don't want to fight, then, um. . . don't join the military.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This actually isn't new. The military has been circumventing this by letting women be MPs then deploying them to Iraq and making them run security for transport convoys. While I was deployed (doing exactly what I just said despite not being an MP, but I was a combat MOS) I saw many females doing this. The females would do anything from drive the vehicle, to "man" the turret, and to being in command of the vehicle. While not kicking down doors, convoys regularly engaged enemy combatants.

A while back my old Platoon Sergeant told me that they were talking about letting females into my MOS. My MOS was 13M or MLRS Crewmember in other words field artillery. Field artillery isn't known for even being on the front lines, yet we were putting women into humvees equipped with .50 cal machine guns and having them defend convoys.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
so if there is ever a draft again, are woman fair game? You know, for equality and all....
edit on 23-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
so if there is ever a draft again, are woman fair game? You know, for equality and all....

good question... I wonder

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I like it. They wanted equality. Well now they are going to get some equality. And I hope this applies to the draft as well.

link   
Ummm doesnt this take congressional approval? or is this just another end around by political hacks of this administration trying to usurp Bengazi testimony in the news.

link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Thanks to recent events in civil rights now women and homosexuals are open to be drafted and made to catch bullets with their faces.

Progress. Everyone gets a chance (or mandate) to die for the state.

link   
Just in time for a war with China.So now more "useless eaters" will die.The surplus female population can be thinned out.Now lets see what happens when elite daughters get caught up in this mess.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I support this decision 100%. Equality for everyone.

That means females will have to do a minimum of 42 pushup-ups in two minutes like the guys instead of 19 for females, right?

It means females will have 15:56 to run two miles now like the guys and not 21:20 for females, right?

Yea, equality for everyone.
edit on 23-1-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Ohhh look more Americans for the Taliban to shoot at……

Until we leave it to the Brits?

But yes I agree. As a Former soldier I feel we should have women snipers at the very least.. They'd be killer hot, or just killer.. War is hell they say..

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
I support this decision 100%. Equality for everyone.

That means females will have to be able to do a minimum of 42 pushup-ups in two minutes like the guys instead of 19 for females, right?

It means females will have 15:56 to run two miles now like the guys and not 21:20 for females, right?

Yea, equality for everyone.

Right on.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

It's new because now it doesn't have to rely on unofficial, "under the table" applications.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join