It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Asking You To Do This But Who Can?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Fear is a basic survival trait. We all, at times, face things we fear.

The true test comes next. Do you face, and conquer, what you fear? Or do you slink away and attempt to hide?

Fear can be healthy, so long as you realize it's simply an emotion.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

You may well have convinced yourself that you are not afraid of the unknown, like others may well have done. But I know it is just empty rhetoric, because at the end of the day you are a human being and when push comes to shove, there is always a situation where you will be afraid of the unknown. Like I have said it is a basic survival instinct, inbuilt into our brains, there is no getting away from it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

its a nice surprise to hear from you, jiggerj. Welcome, but be prepared for a tussle.

If the economy collapses thenI might hold fears for the safety of loved ones.

If Aliens show up thenI might have fears as to their intentions.

Your third example is hardly valid.

Did YOU say humans are designed to fear things? lol

Fear is not necessary for humans to survive. Caution is. Fear is constantly being overcome by brave individuals. Fear is essentially a sign of weakness. If a wild animals senses fear in a prey it goes in for the kill.

edit on 22-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Fear is a basic survival trait. We all, at times, face things we fear.

The true test comes next. Do you face, and conquer, what you fear? Or do you slink away and attempt to hide?

Fear can be healthy, so long as you realize it's simply an emotion.

I hear you but you are as misinformed as Jiggerj is. I know what we were taught but that doesn't prove it is right.
I am not without fear but I don't fear the unknown.
I have faced danger many times and felt fear but I had to push the fear aside and attend to saving myself. Fear had nothing to do with my survival but it would have played a hand in my demise if I had succumbed to it.

I wouldn't say fear is an emotion. I think it is more a reaction to an emotion.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Shema

You may well have convinced yourself that you are not afraid of the unknown, like others may well have done. But I know it is just empty rhetoric, because at the end of the day you are a human being and when push comes to shove, there is always a situation where you will be afraid of the unknown. Like I have said it is a basic survival instinct, inbuilt into our brains, there is no getting away from it.

Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself rather than me which, come to think of it, wont do you any harm.
I don't have to convince myself of anything since I speak from actual experience. That is pretty convincing believe me. Far more than what you are.

edit on 22-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

You are asking for something very ignorant.

Fear can be very beneficial at times and is a primary human instinct.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

Why would I be trying to convince myself of anything, I have nothing to be ashamed about being fearful of certain things. It is not a weakness to be afraid, it is a strength. What I am trying to do is educate somebody in human biology, of which you seem to have little grasp of in this particular area.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

reply to post by Shema

Why would I be trying to convince myself of anything, I have nothing to be ashamed about being fearful of certain things. It is not a weakness to be afraid, it is a strength. What I am trying to do is educate somebody in human biology, of which you seem to have little grasp of in this particular area.

Where is fear a strength, please give me an example.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

It is a strength to be afraid of a Rattle Snake, because if you did not fear it and approached it like your family cat, you would get bitten and die. Ironically, the reason you would get bitten is because the Snake is afraid of YOU.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
reply to post by Shema

You are asking for something very ignorant.

Fear can be very beneficial at times and is a primary human instinct.

I would refer you to my replies on the subject.

I am only talking about one specific fear, the fear of the unknown

I think you will find the term 'primary human instinct' fell by the side some time ago, decades.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shema

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I fear the unknown. Not that it will stop me from doing what needs to be done, but I do fear it.

Why? Because I have a son to look after.

Perspectives change somewhat when you have a child depending on you.

I understand and I have empathy for you. Your fear is giving those who want to control you the means by which they can do so. This is why it is so vital that you stand up and say no and this is the most effective way to do it.

I don't think i understand this thread.

By stating that you don't fear on ATS, how is that actually accomplishing anything? As far as i can see, that is only making a statement to fellow ATS'ers. Maybe i am missing the point entirely here.......

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The more we are attached to this world,the more fearful we are...People who have noting to loose are usually the bravest...Most fears come from the idea of loosing something either be your job,family, life or even the material things like your house, car, etc....Animals only fear for their lives,but humans have tons of other artificial attachments to fear from.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Shema

It is a strength to be afraid of a Rattle Snake, because if you did not fear it and approached it like your family cat, you would get bitten and die. Ironically, the reason you would get bitten is because the Snake is afraid of YOU.

Now that is a good point. Fear of the unknown is a subjective thing. For example, an asteroid is going to collide - yes i would be fearful of the unknown then (the unknown in those circumstances being the actual consequences of said asteroid strike).

On the other hand, if it is just general fear of what may yet come then no, i am not afraid. Why worry? You can't change what may or not happen.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Shema

It is wise to be cautious of the snake. In my experience it is very unwise to allow a wild animal to sense fear coming from you, even a snake. Therefore caution is a strength, fear is a weakness.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

You can get the full picture reading my 'Kissinger' thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

Caution is a response bourne out of the emotion of fear.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

But if you had no knowledge of snakes or their existance, and you encountered one, it would be the unknown. I think fear in this instance would be something that would keep you alive.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Totally agree.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shapur
The more we are attached to this world,the more fearful we are...People who have noting to loose are usually the bravest...Most fears come from the idea of loosing something either be you fear job,family, life or even the material things like your house, car, etc....Animals only fear for their lives,but humans have tons of other artificial attachments to fear from.

I wouldn't say that was true. The more you have the more you will fight to keep it, especially loved ones. And to fight you have to overcome your fears or you will run away at the first loud bang. But the fear of loosing what you have because of what might happen is an unnatural fear, it is the fear of an idea, as you say, and that is what the PTB promote.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Shema

Caution is a response bourne out of the emotion of fear.

Come on now, you don't really believe that.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join