It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danny Glover tells students Second Amendment was created to protect slavery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thudpuddy

Indians (many of whom were not as friendly as modern historians would have us believe)

Im no apologist by any means but I think the "Indians" had a pretty good reason to be hostile.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
How appropriate. The modern slave is the middle class, and I highly doubt a militia is required to put down a few unarmed slaves or natives. This double edged sword proves that even a few ragged men with a purpose are enough to put fear into their masters, and that if this were applied in truth, the government would have to disarm itself because we are the 'indians' on the land. If there is nothing to fear, then you first big brother

-Dprophet

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sounds like Mister Glover has read:
THE HIDDEN HISTORY OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT

One of Virginia's main concerns was that the federal government would abolish or directly interfere with the slave system. During the Constitutional Convention, Pierce Butler of South Carolina declared: "The security the Southn. States want is that their negroes may not be taken from them which some gentlemen within or without doors, have a very good mind to do."

Madison's colleagues in the House and Senate almost certainly considered the Second Amendment to be part of the slavery compromise. Many members of the First Congress had been delegates to the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia and were well aware that without the slavery compromise it would have been impossible to include both the Northern and slave holding states in a common Union. The Southern delegates had made it clear that there was no point in even drafting a constitution if the federal government had the power to abolish slavery. "The true question at present is whether the Southn. States shall or shall not be parties to the union," John Rutledge of South Carolina had told them.[297] From that point on the delegates worked mightily to produce a constitution palatable to both North and South.

Actually makes a pretty good argument for the 2nd being part of a compromise for the southern states to continue their use of the state militia as a means of slave control.

edit on 19-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

Surprise, surprise...the progressives are out playing the race card on the 2nd amendment. Here's another piece of agenda driven tripe.

The last line says it all:

Little did Madison realize that one day in the future weapons-manufacturing corporations, newly defined as "persons" by a Supreme Court some have called dysfunctional, would use his slave patrol militia amendment to protect their "right" to manufacture and sell assault weapons used to murder schoolchildren.

The irony is all these morons prove is the easiest way to enslave people is to take their guns away.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

A racist is as a racist does, I hope Danny Glover comes back purple in his next life or, heaven forbid, white!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Way to be ignorant Mr. Glover! The 2nd Amendment was created to protect slavery? Wow, apparently he's of the idea that guns are evil. Lets look at some of his movies, centered around gun violence.

Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Predator 2
Lethal Weapon 3
Lethal Weapon 4

Need more?

Mr. Glover, please go back to being an actor and not using your fame to spout a bunch of BS.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Glover has done some research. His stance is not fro ignorance but education, albeit, out of
context--to fit his agenda, just like we all are guilty of.

Read Christopher Hitchens book, Thomas Jefferson: The Author of America
or the the book suggested above, all is not is it seems with the 2nd amendment

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

Well, guess I am glad the Lethal Weapon stuff is done, then. Won't be watching or buying anything new from this dork. How can ANYONE be that stupid?????

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Obsrvr

Ive lost respect for a lot of black celebrities that I really like because of their ignorant attempts at social engineering like this, Morgan Freeman is another one.
At least Will Smith has stayed out of the limelight on politics, at least to my knowledge.

Danny Glover owes most of his acting success to Mel Gibson
edit on 1/19/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

No, he didn't stay quiet. Around the '08 election, he was on tv all gushing all over the place about how much he liked the guy that won. Haven't bothered with him since then, save the newer MIB, and that was for Tommy Lee Jones.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I don't think this guy realizes that the American Revolution was a secession from Tyranny. That the right to bear arms was put in place to ensure liberty for future generations. To say the reason the second amendment was instilled was to protect themselves against slaves is just profound to me. I have never heard anyone say that, I've heard similiar statements about other laws but not the second amendment. The founding fathers believed it was a natural born right to bear arms and a god given at that. One that Government doesn't grant, they put it in there to ensure that if that line of thinking was lost the people had a legal guarantee to bear arms. Just add fuel to the flame that is the gun grabbing movement why don't you Mr. Glover.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This thread is boring... why is everyone attacking Glover for his acting ability and/or movie credits? Calling the man stupid doesn't do anybody favors. I've never heard this perspective before today, and while I wouldn't be so bold as to declare I know this is the absolute truth, I would rather engage in intelligent dialogue about the CONTENT of the argument rather than vapid ad hominems and straw men. I've heard the "last defense against tyranny" argument a million times-- can anyone chime in on an alternative perspective without griping about "the race card" or anything else that makes you uncomfortable?

Here's a link that further breaks down where Glover was coming from...

P.S. I know some of you are constructively contributing, so I will say I appreciate that.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by solarjetman

How much can one debate about the content of this thread?
Hes a half ass actor whos best films were as a co star to mel gibson and because hes black, he gets to spout off about slavery and guns and people will listen to his dumbass.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr
reply to post by cybro

Then he should have put it in your words. He is intentionally bringing race into it, which is complete horse#.

Let's put this in perspective. Who is shooting up Chicago right now? Lawful gun owners or black gangbangers?
edit on 1/19/13 by Obsrvr because: (no reason given)

Exactly lets put this in perspective. All gangbangers in Chicago are black? Black people can't be lawful gun owners in Chicago? What Danny said (right or wrong) was his interpretation of history not the black community as you implied in your first comment. Hmm I agree Danny might need to spend some time in the library but it sounds as if you need to join him there with your stereotyping.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

The murders in Chicago have mostly involved black gangbangers. Are you rewriting history now?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Someone told his entire life that slavery only happened to black people and that those people were kidnapped from Africa (not sold) by the evil white man thinks the entire country was formed around holding the black man down? Shocking, truly.

Racism. It only exists within ignorance.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Heisenberg59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Hes a half ass actor whos best films were as a co star to mel gibson and because hes black, he gets to spout off about slavery and guns and people will listen to his dumbass.

If you actually looked at the info linked in the article and other posts you would realize that he is actually bringing to light a conspiracy and the sad thing is that members of a "conspiracy" forum don't seem to have the time or interest live up to the sites motto.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ironic when the 2nd amendment was validated after slavery ended to protect freed slaves, or freedmen.

www.stephenhalbrook.com...
“Blacks were routinely disarmed by Southern States after the Civil War.”...Southern States enacted statutes prohibiting African-Americans from possessing firearms....these laws were enforced not only by local sheriffs, but also by the state militias. This led to the introduction of civil rights legislation in Congress. Bill sponsor Senator Henry Wilson explained in part: “In Mississippi rebel State forces, men who were in the rebel armies, are traversing the State, visiting the freedmen, disarming them, perpetrating murders and outrages on them . . . .”

"The indictments typically involved Klan attacks on freedmen who exercised their rights to assemble and to keep and bear arms, and who were subjected to unlawful searches and seizures."

"The white supremacists—whether acting as state governments or, later, as private armed organizations such as the Klan—sought to disarm all AfricanAmericans, especially those suspected of voting the Radical Republican ticket*. It did not matter whether the freedman kept a pistol in his cabin for self-defense, was out hunting with a shotgun, or had a musket for use in a militia;confiscation of firearms in any of those scenarios was perceived as a violation of Second Amendment rights."

*Note that the southern Democrats were angry at the Republicans (Lincoln) who had fought to end slavery.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Dbriefed because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2013 by Dbriefed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

If you actually looked at the info linked in the article and other posts you would realize that he is actually bringing to light a conspiracy and the sad thing is that members of a "conspiracy" forum don't seem to have the time or interest live up to the sites motto.

I know what hes referring to and its baseless bs. The only thing hes doing is creating more divisiveness in the country .

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

That is just your opinion. The country is already divided on the issue and he's just stating which side he's on and why.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

if that was the case it surely failed since those same guns were used to free the slaves. what a $%^&ing idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join