It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women in Saudia Arabia Join The Shura Council: Great News!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS! I have wonderful news!

According to NPR, in Saudia arabia have been appointed to the King's Shura Council for the first time. The Shura council, if I understand correctly, only advises the monarchy. But women have never before been a part of the council, so this is a big step forwards for women.

Normally, the MSM only shares the negative aspects of Saudia Arabia, such as the subjugation of its women. So when I heard this positive story on National Public Radio, I went digging.

According to BBC

Two decrees reconstituted the council, which advises the government on new legislation, for a new four-year term - and stated that women should always hold at least a fifth of its 150 seats. The king took the decisions following consultations with religious leaders.

This isn't the end of the oppression of women in Saudia Arabia; they still have little to no involvement in pubic life. And although they now are represented in the Shura council, they must enter and exit separately from the men, and will be seated in a separate area. But despite these...women are there! Small steps, perhaps, but those steps are going forward!

Saudia Arabia is the Islamic country the MSM loves to hate, I think. We always hear about the horrible lives women have in SA....so this is a wonderful development. Its a beginning, and who can say where a new beginning will lead?

So I say, Well Done, Saudia Arabia. Well done, indeed.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The recognition of the rights of various groups in America have always taken a hundred years or more to really change the attitude of the populace that was once against women's, black's, senior's, gay's, Latino's, disabled person's, mentally incapacitated people, fat people, short people, ugly people and so on the list grows.
Give us enough time and maybe everyone will enjoy freedom from oppression.

The expression of the rights of the "Navi" in the movie "Avatar" are a perfect example of how individualism and family values impact the quality of life of the indigenous peoples.

TPTB wanted "Unobtainium" and were willing to kill for it - not much different from billionaire's savvy to obtain the Unobtainium in our world.

The people must take responsibility for each own's preservation of rights. Saudi women should deny their men sex and see how fast the Arab World laws change.

It is too bad we don't have the leverage of sex over our politicians who allow garbage to make it into law -who allow mega-money-managers to steal from the poor and give it to the already rich in the trillions of dollars and none of it goes to American debt reduction.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
One can only hope that this isn't all for show. The appearance of change is worse than no change at all.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It amazes me that there are a ton of threads decrying Saudia Arabia, or women's rights in Islam. Yet here we have progress....and no interest. Why is that? Perhaps its easier to dislike, to hate, Islam if we can view them as backwards.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I think you nailed it on the head. If islam farts in the general direction of someone, there would be 293874293874293847 ARGH DIE MUSLIM posts, but when anything seemingly positive happens? *cricket cricket*

Personally, I am not sure it is nothing more than a PR stunt, I guess the future will tell.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I hope it's not a PR stunt. This news has me excited for my sisters in Saudia Arabia, and I want it to be true. But you are right, time will tell.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yeah it would be a great thing. Saudi Arabia has a lot of growing up to do I think.

top topics

join