It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man shopping with Assault Rifle Strapped to his Back at Utah J.C. Penney

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by NorEaster

I know quite a bit about these rifles and you couldn’t be more wrong. These weapons are not easily converted to fully automatic and as far as looks go I can show you some fully automatics that look like regular hunting rifles. What you are describing is a fear of how something looks. It is the same as assuming that all Ford Mustangs are hotrods even the 4 cylinders because of looks.

The term used to be assault style rifles and somewhere in the last few years’ people and the MSM dropped the style from the description I will not redefine the term and what do you propose we start calling the real assault rifles now? Maybe we can start calling them “really scary assault rifles”?

As far as magazine size if I can be trusted with one bullet then I can be trusted with a thousand same with magazine size.

I didn't expect you to agree. I was explaining what makes them assault rifles for the open minded thread lurkers, but thanks for making my point that with the clips and the basic mechanics of these rifles, that they are convertible to fully automatic. Good luck with your effort to rebrand these guns. Don't cry if you fail to convince anyone but yourselves.

As far as clips goes, if you're shooting up a mall or hosing down a kindergarten classroom, then I'd prefer that you be forced to reload once in a while. Doesn't seem to be asking too much, there.

WTF?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

... that they are convertible to fully automatic.

Still waiting for evidence. Just want to be sure somebody isnt trying to blow smoke up my ass.
edit on 19-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Cool story bro! The reality is violence happens, I've witnessed when I served, I witnessed it when I was a corrections Officer. I have flood insurance on my home, I don't spend everyday fearing a flood, I also have smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher , I'm not in constant fear that my home will burn down. Your logic is flawed. A firearm is a tool like anything else, stop projecting your fears and inadequacies. I hope nothing violent happens to you in this lifetime, but if its about to I'm sure you'll call men in uniform with guns to rush to your rescue, if you don't , your wife will.

Just an observation...bro.

You're scared and you see them coming in your mind's eye all the time. Violent things have happened to me in my lifetime, and yet I'm still here, and I'm not scared. I served too. 8 years. So what? Lots of people have served, and lots of us grew up with criminals as friends and neighbors. Big deal. We don't get any medals for being around chaotic and dangerous situations. But we do become familiar with real threat, and we learn that real danger can't ever be prepared for. Not with a gun, that's for sure. The presence of a gun just cranks the potential for danger to become tragedy by a factor of 5 (at least) every single time. That much I do know from my own flirts with dangerous people in treacherous instances.

If you're really that "prepared" then you're frightened, and that's how it goes. I don't expect you to cop to being scared, but for the lurkers who are reading this, preppers are frightened people. That's just the truth about anyone who spends on guns and ammo and security systems and whatever else they have squirreled away in preparation for when "they" come for them.

These are terrified people who are arming themselves against an imaginary tyrannical American government or violently chaotic American society, and if you begin to indulge in that kind of fear, there's no end to the threats that you'll envision. It's your life, and you're free to do what you want with it. I prefer to enjoy the freedom that comes with not being afraid. Hell, I've survived 56 years without a weapon, and I bet that I'll get to live out my full span of life without ever getting shot because I didn't have one with me. Can't say that if I provide each scenario with the gun myself that I can safely predict that I won't, but I won't be bringing the gun with me, so that cuts down the possibility of one being used by at least 50% to start with. I like those odds.

Fear isn't real, danger is. I don't have many fears in this life ( #1 being something happening to my family when I'm not around and #2 being anything higher on the food chain than me) I can assure you that I don't fear anything walking on two legs. I haven't been a judoka for years because I'm afraid , I've been a judoka because I find peace rolling and tossing other people around, I enjoy the honesty and purity of it, it's teaches you about life because you can't bull**** your way out of a submission , you can't lie to yourself like many people do and say you're prepared for something when you're not. I enjoy the camaraderie of it.

Most people would think that a group of people that could literally kill you with their hands, and do it easily would be bullies, but In fact it's the opposite. I have nothing to prove , I know what I'm capable of, there's no ego involved because I don't think you can progress past a certain point in judo or bjj if your ego isn't in check, I feel the same about life. Most of my friends I "roll" with feel the same.

I train the same way with firearms and I'm very proficient, not because I'm a gun nut, but because I enjoy challenging myself and seeing the constant evolution of my skillset. I explain to people that a day at the shooting range for me is like a day on the driving range for them.

The people that I have issue with are the folks that are afraid, afraid of guns, afraid of violence, afraid they're doing nothing with their lives, afraid of the insecurities that plague them.... They lie to themselves daily. I don't do that, I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses and I've come to terms with them but I still seek to improve on my weaknesses. You won't find me imposing my will on others and telling them that they must live a certain way or do certain things. But on these boards I find people telling me how I should live and what rights I should have.

These people are angry and they want to control you because they themselves are out of control, they're out of balance. They should focus more on themselves and their own issues, and less on controlling the actions of others.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by NorEaster

I agree with you on a lot of things but an assault rifle is either fully automatic or three round burst capable it has nothing to do with how it looks.

There are people who are trying to change the definition in society to fit what you just described please do not fall for that.

But, the truth is that by looking at the thing, you can't tell me that it doesn't shoot in bursts. Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles. And with a 30+ round clip, what's the real difference between a semi-auto and a three round burst? I mean, what real distinction exists in a mass murder or firefight where a single round firing sequence is most often the obvious best choice anyway. Like I said, semantics is bullsh*t and 98% of us know exactly what we mean when we use the term "assault rifle". A rifle that is physically appropriate for nothing but shooting human beings in an assault or in defense of an assault. Anyone who hunts deer with one of these things is just playing Rambo in the woods and we all know it.

Looks like an Assault Rifle to me. hint: this is a semi auto "sporting rifle."

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonPrice
Assault Rifle & extra ammunition clips and a sidearm in a holster on his right hip... Necessary for shopping?

He isn't breaking the law... he's making a point. Is it necessary for shopping? Well, that depends on how you look at it. Is a purse necessary for shopping? No, it isn't. Like a purse, an AR-15 is an inanimate object. Also, this guy's rifle IS NOT an assault rifle, it just looks mean. An assault rifle has a selector switch for rate of fire... an AR-15 does not. An M-16 is an assault rifle. An AR-15 only LOOKS LIKE an M-16. If you put a Ferrari body on a Kia you wouldn't have a Ferrari... just a really cool looking Kia.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Looks like an Assault Rifle to me. hint: this is a semi auto "sporting rifle."

You can bump fire any single action. Even a 1911. That's not a full auto conversion.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wow....

After reading through this thread, I'm very distressed at the amount of bigotry that I see in it, especially from some members here on ATS that I had considered "enlightened" or were in possession of "critical thinking" before.

I'm afraid my opinion of some of them has dropped quite a bit.

A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = Bad Guy
A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = Bubba The Red Neck
A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = killer getting ready to go on a shooting spree
A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = must be guilty....of something!
A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = low IQ and must be stupid.
A person has a gun on them in the open and is not LEO or Military = must have something mentally wrong with them.

Then there are other statements that just blow my mind:

"I'm Pro 2nd Amendment......but I'm going to judge people on how they use the right, even if they are breaking no laws at all."
"I'm Pro 2nd Amendment.......but people should not be walking around with guns, even if the law allows them to, because it's 'dirty', like sex, should be under one's own roof and behind locked doors!"

"There are children present!"

Yep, bring out the children like Obama did........that works every time.

Ah, and as to the "Assault Weapon" vs "Assault Rifle"...........

Here is a picture of an "Assault Weapon"

It's a Marlin Camp 9mm that has been converted to look like that (my son's Marlin looks NOTHING like this). It is considered an Assault Weapon because:

An assault weapon has a detachable magazine, in conjunction with one, two, or more other features such as a pistol grip, a folding stock, a flash suppressor, or a bayonet lug.

So it has a detachable magazine and a pistol grip.

Here is another picture:

This is an Assault Rifle. Specifically it's a M14, just like the one I used to qual on in the US Navy.
It's an Assault Riffle because:

An assault rifle is a selective fire (either fully automatic and/or burst, and semi-automatic as well) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

Which I can tell you from personal experience, you NEVER want to fire this baby on full auto, unless you want to end up sitting on the ground, wondering how you got there, and why the ceiling has bullet holes in it now. Has one hell of a kick, and used to leave bruises on my shoulder whenever I fired it. Uses a 7.62mm NATO round, and I loved this weapon, as it was one of the most accurate I ever used.

Have to ask though:

Looking at both pictures, if you saw someone with either rifle slung over their shoulder, which one would make your raise your eyebrows more?

The one that was made to look like some military rifle, that is only capable of shooting single shots with each pull of the trigger (and no, you can't modify the Marlin for full auto as it would tear the gun to pieces if you tried)?

Or the one with the wooden stock, that looks like many .30 cal hunting rifles (but happens to be able to fire fully automatic and has a flash suppression muzzle)?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Prepared for walking across arctic tundra? prepared for a being caught in the rain? prepared for a day at the pool? Or just prepared to make America look like a nation or gun obsessed redneck cowboys?

Some "men" need guns to feel manly, he looks like he really needs them.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
The world that right wing conservatives want is such a reptilian blood lust hateful little ignorant world.

They want their little assault rifle patriots walking around, feeling proud spreading fear, while they spew hatred about foreigners, trying suppress women's rights, while insisting on their own right to walk around shopping malls with assault rifles strapped to their backs... And then when it comes to politics, war is always a yes, environment is always a no, they rather let the sick die from lack of healthcare, let poor people starve, and insist teachers get paid too much...

They are kind of the embarrassing ignorant slime of the country.

And look at the kind of vomitous stuff they will defend. A dude with an assault rifle and a handgun walking around a store like a fanatical douche bag. These are the battles they fight!
Not peace, not environment, not education, not healthcare.... F-ing assault rifles strapped to your back while shopping.

This is why a Republican is NOT in office.

As far as I am concerned you are the embarrassment to this country for your ignorance about gun owners. Does every republican in your mind own guns? If someone owns guns and is for the second amendment they have to fit your stereo type. I have to deal with moronic crap like what you are spewing all the time. Christ almighty I am not one of your leftwing cookie cutter drones from hell I argue with the rightwing all the time. Fact is I disagree with a lot of things the republicans do but there are things they are right about and there are things the democrats are wrong about and vice versa applies. I will fight for a woman’s right to choose just as hard as I will fight for the right to bear arms so get a clue and understand the right to bear arms applies to everyone not just the republicans.

You may not understand why the second amendment is there the same as some may not understand why the Tenth amendment is there but just because you don’t understand it does not mean I will abandon it. I took an oath when I joined the military and even though I am no longer in the military I will still defend this nation from enemy’s both foreign and domestic and right now you are the attacking the constitution so you would qualify as the enemy so I am defending against your ignorance and the only weapon I need for that is knowledge. There is a phrase used in that document and it says “shall not be infringed”.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Instead of arguing from ignorance against the second amendment try looking up the reason it is there and for god sakes educate you as to what an assault weapon is. You will never have a chance at winning a debate if you don’t even know the definition of the words you are using.

This is why a Republican is NOT in office.

I got news for you those of in the middle didn’t vote for Obumer we voted against Romney and it was a hard choice let me tell you because we really didn’t want Obumer it was the lesser of two evils and we went with the devil we knew so don’t let it go to your little heads.

You people keep that crap up and next time I will vote republican even if I hate the guy and this is coming from Florida the swing state and I can guarantee my state will follow that path. You live in a Constitutional Democratic Republic if you don’t like it pack your junk and move to Australia where the banned every pointy thing under the sun and deal with the crime wave that followed.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
So what happens when another law abiding citizen carrying a gun spots this guy in the car park pulling out his rifle and spare clips from the boot of his car and thinks he's just spotted a guy about to go on a shooting spree and shoots him?

Oh the irony, it burns.

Agreed. Dude is really risking his life to make an unnecessary statement. I love guns and I value the 2nd amendment too but I'm not stupid. It's other ways to get your point across.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
I truly believe that a fear of firearms is really just a lack of knowledge and or ignorance to the subject
people wouldn't be afraid of firearms if they knew more about them
Im gonna use one of the Gun Lovers own Mantra to respond.

Its NOT the Firearm he is carrying that is Alarming People.

Its the GUY Carrying his Firearm , that is getting the Attention.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
the problem with this is,
1....you DON'T KNOW if this guy is unstable, or a criminal
2....you DON'T KNOW if this guy would LIE about being unstable or a criminal
3....you DON'T KNOW, if either 1 or 2 is true, you could be dead within seconds

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
i think that this is great, and more people should be open carrying now, especially in states where it is legal to do so. the man is clearly exerciesing his 2nd ammendment right, which is a beautiful thing. the constitution was made for us by us, not so one person could sign off executive orders over congress' head. i wish more people were more patriotic about the country they live in. hats off to this man for not being a sheep, and defending his constitutional right.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
4... you DO KNOW, that this gun can Kill you and a bunch of People in a Hurry
5... you DO KNOW, Guns dont kill people, People WITH GUNS kill people (like the Turnip in the Pics)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

That's true about anyone. Even family and friends.

Statistically speaking is very true and even more likely for cops. Yet we see their guns and the majority feel a sense of relief when by the numbers that cop is more likely to be nuts than any random non-cop.

It's all just public perception. A perception that has less to do with reality and more to do with perception of said reality as manipulated by various outlets.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
also for the record, those are not extra "clips" those are magazines. we havent used clips since the m1 garande, and even so the "clip" is pretty much a speedloader for a magazine. clips look like a row of sockets on a socket rail, and for the majority are obsolete now. also on the topic of being able to convert that rifle to fully automatic, it is a rather simple process, however if you do not posess the proper permit required for full auto (ffl in CT) you have made your long gun illegal. and if you are caught doing so the punishment is rather severe.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

the attitude of "what ifs" and "you dont know what his mental health state is or what he MIGHT do" is all guilty until proven innocent perspective, it is not FREEDOM to think that way

Exactly. It's an insult to the human race. Yes we have bad people but 99% percent of us are good.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Amid all the mass shootings we had recently, this guy decides to intimidate, create a sense of fear, and alarm the public to prove a point that he has a right to possess an assault rifle? What identifies this guy from a potential mass shooter? Nothing!!! He alarmed people just by the sight of that rifle. I would like to see him do the same thing walking into an elementary school.

There are some level headed gun rights advocates, but when you have people like this, you have to question if they have everything together upstairs.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The pistol certainly was sufficient deterrent id say........as well as a statement.
Though i agree people are being made "artificially squeemish" around firearms by the negative sensationalism of the Media.Packing such a bulky, clumsy weapon in a store line up like that could upset people needlessly.
Israel has many such scenes in every town and city every day......
Nobody seems disturbed, or upset with one out of every five people packing a submachine gun or Gallil, perhaps an AR15 slung over a shoulder......
I bet their statistics would be worth a look, when people are talking gun control.....

There is good reaqson to think that if many gun owners were to apear apropriately armed on a daily basis all across the country,that the goverment would get the message without too much being said.......
In fact if just the CCW permitees seriously made a point of using those permits every day in appropriate
circumstance, that alone would be a game changer for the PTB......

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Mechanically, that capability can be enabled fairly easily with these kinds of rifles.

Got any evidence to back that claim?

www.hackcanada.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join