It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart plans $50 billion "buy American" push

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Wal-Mart plans $50 billion "buy American" push

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) will buy an additional $50 billion in U.S.-made products over the next decade in areas like sporting goods and high-end appliances in what the world's largest retailer called a bid to help boost the U.S. economy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
news.yahoo.com

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 1/15/13 by Raist because: adding link, hit enter too soon.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well for years people have complained about Walmart. Not only on ATS but in other places. People have said for years you can find nothign at Walmart that is made in the U.S., though I disagree and have found many things made in the U.S. at Walmart.

This also goes on to talk about something else being discussed on ATS.

Wal-Mart, the largest private employer in the United States, also said on Tuesday it plans to hire 100,000 newly discharged veterans over the next five years, at a time when the U.S. unemployment rate is at 7.8 percent.

www.reuters.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Raist

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/15/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Great so they made trillions selling foreign crap and now they will give back $50 billion to US businesses over the next decade......

edit on 15-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
i saw this earlier and kinda laughed. they have known for years how bad they were helping kill our country and did nothing about it accept decide to increase their profits. now with the whole guns and ammo bans that they decided to take a side on , they are hoping that this attempt to act that they care about anything other than money, will help make them money. dont worry , they will still accept welfare payments for chinese imported food.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It looks as though some businesses are seeing that if something is not done they will be done for. Meaning that they have to start hiring employees and buying products made in the U.S. if they do not they will not have customers since no one will have a job which will provide them money to spend at the businesses.

Hate Walmart all you like but at least this is a move in the right direction. Sure they could do more, but at least this will help.

I worked for Walmart many years ago. They treated their people badly then, then again many businesses in the U.S. treat employees bad. This is even more evident in a bad economy because they can be replaced easily. If you think any place is free of doing wrong then you are blind, they are out to make money not be Mr. nice guy.

Raist

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
$50 billion over a decade
$5 billion a year
Approx. 8,500 stores
$575-600K per store per year
$50K per store per month

Now, considering most stores do over $1 million in sales every week, $50 billion isn't so impressive. Still, it's a move in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I believe there are good people and good companies still left in this world... I don't believe they all live and act li Wal-Mart does, but maybe I'm just being naive...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Go to Sear, Target, Kmart, or any box store. They are all the same.

This might not seem that big, but at least it is something. But hey since they have done bad for so long who cares if this will help a fellow American. They can always go back to living off the government right or the streets?

Yep who cares that this will help at least some fellow Americans?

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Only a few mom and pop shops at best do this. Even then many of those are now out to scam their customers.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Or perhaps Walmart has a bunch of savy MBAs and PR people watching trends and making damn sure that
Walmart does something to counter the bad press they have been getting about their sweat shops overseas.
Still I applaud them for buying American made products; this should have been SOP long ago!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by IsawWHATtheyDID

So if this helps out a factory that is on the verge of closing and costing say another 200 Americans their jobs it is not worth it? Nice to see people care.

No matter what is done to start moving things in the right direction it will never be enough for most of you.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Yes, I pointed out it was not much. I did not do the math but figured the numbers were not to high. I do know though that the final number could keep at least 200 Americans with jobs or even add more. If this haleps to save even one or two factories in the U.S. from closing it is worth it.

If it works out they could start to invest more.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't remember saying it here on ATS, but I have said for years to family and friends,

The reason we have all these conflicts around the world is to keep these individuals in service with a paycheck.

I think Walmart and the government have an understanding here.

We have some big challenges here in the United States.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Yes they have gotten a lot of bad press, much of it well deserved. This is a step in the right direction though it is baby steps. This step though could save hundreds of U.S. factory jobs. It could also help some of those factories to start even adding employees to the payroll.

I knew Walmart threads in any form on ATS would get bad reactions but I was really hoping more people would see this as a good thing instead of just going straight for the throat of it all. Yeah Walmart is out to make money, to think any business out there is not is simply foolish. All businesses are looking to make max profit, that is the nature of the beast. If they are not out to make profit they will not survive.

Regardless of their bad dealings this is a positive thing.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

Walmart most certainly has parts (most likely large parts) of government in their pocket. That said I think many of those in the top are starting to realize something has to be done or there will be nothing for them to be the top of.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

$50 billion over 10 years is very small, when comparing to the amount of business that Wal-Mart will do over that decade. This is a ploy to try to win us back and it seems to be working with some of you... Wal-Mart is everything that's wrong with our country today. $50 billion in relative terms to what Wal-Mart is worth, and what they do on a yearly basis, and what they're 10-year expectations are is extremely small..

Nice gesture, but a little too late...

The whole Walton family can burn in hell for all i care... Evil greedy people, who don't give two S***** about their employees or anyone else... Each kid just cares about protecting their own personal stack of $20 billion....

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by Raist

Or perhaps Walmart has a bunch of savy MBAs and PR people watching trends and making damn sure that
Walmart does something to counter the bad press they have been getting about their sweat shops overseas.
Still I applaud them for buying American made products; this should have been SOP long ago!

Exactly.... $50 billion over 10 years is pennys the good press they're now getting

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
i hope this doesn't mean our prison industries is about to go full bloom

perhaps those fema camps are but merely future walmart industires...being now it appears our constitution is about to fall so work camps here we come

one has to wonder if hiring vets will bear more life insurance beneficiary rights...yet again

i'm sure minimum wage coupled with subsidies for hiring vets plus tax breaks will only better corporate position

somethings up...like everything else nowadays

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I care about keeping palces of American production open and growing. Even slight moves to buy more from a business can improve their overall standing.

I have worked in the production sector for many years now. I can see changes in the markes before they take place and are noticed buy consumers. I left one factory a year before they went on a mass layoff of many employees because no one was really buying their product. The funny thing is some of their product even shipped over from China. All the box stores basically stoped selling their product or dropped many lines for a cheaper product coming from China.

Even the mom and pop stores that would sell the product were using and selling the cheaper China product that I can say certainty is in about 90% of the homes today.

And before anyone wants to really jump on Walmart for their practices over seas maybe people need to check out their electronics. Nearly all of your electronics are made by Foxconn.

www.democraticunderground.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

But yeah Walmart is the most evil of places

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

thats the problem with america everyone is too greedy. No one can ever do enough and most the time when something bad is going on they let it happen because they are too lazy to get up and do anything about it.

All though i am in no way shape or form a fan of walmart and i try to steer clear of that store. It still is a step in the right direction!
edit on 16-1-2013 by misse2miss because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join