It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple planets system around Vega

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
There's no direct view of this system yet, but the data of the recent discoveries exposed below strongly suggest that there's in fact a multiple planets system, similar to our Solar System, around Vega.

Astronomers have discovered what appears to be a large asteroid belt around the star Vega, the second brightest star in northern night skies. The scientists used data from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope and the European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory, in which NASA plays an important role.

The discovery of an asteroid belt-like band of debris around Vega makes the star similar to another observed star called Fomalhaut. The data are consistent with both stars having inner, warm belts and outer, cool belts separated by a gap. This architecture is similar to the asteroid and Kuiper belts in our own solar system.

What is maintaining the gap between the warm and cool belts around Vega and Fomalhaut?

The results strongly suggest the answer is multiple planets.

Our solar system's asteroid belt, which lies between Mars and Jupiter, is maintained by the gravity of the terrestrial planets and the giant planets, and the outer Kuiper belt is sculpted by the giant planets. "Our findings echo recent results showing multiple-planet systems are common beyond our sun," said Kate Su, an astronomer at the Steward Observatory at the University of Arizona, Tucson. Su presented the results Tuesday at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Long Beach, Calif., and is lead author of a paper on the findings accepted for publication in the Astrophysical Journal.

Source

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Would not be surprising if Vega had planets and even intelligent lifeforms on some of them! Carl Sagan was rarely wrong

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Vegans..... sheesh....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Now.. If we can just figure out how to get from point A to point B without having to travel the linear straight line.

I can't help but think our species will find life to be the rule and not the exception when out of our rather barren little star system here. Just my hunch.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
Would not be surprising if Vega had planets and even intelligent lifeforms on some of them! Carl Sagan was rarely wrong

Vegans arrive... their first gift of friendship held in their tiny hands at the end of their anorexic arms.... a bowl of self perished lettuce salat.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Maybe K-Pax is one of those planets.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the film K-PAX, the constellation of Lyra is the location of the planet K-PAX, an inhabited world that orbits twin stars and has seven moons.
edit on 9-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

Better than a ray gun in their hands.
We need to learn to defend ourselves before we venture out into the cold of space.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

I'm sure Earth Space Command or whatever they end up calling what will have to be made at some point will insure our light sabers are bigger than their light sabers. I'm hoping they focus a bit more on the exploration aspect though or we'll end up getting to the nearest stars in buckets of bolts but carrying all the firepower of a death star.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the film contact starring Jodie foster was it not vega the signal was coming from? Hmmm spooky!

new topics

top topics

join