It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China plans to grow vegetables on Mars and Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

China is getting ready to grow four kinds of vegetables on Mars and on the Moon as part of its plans to create life maintenance conditions for cosmonauts.

According to the Beijing-based Center for Research and Cosmonaut Training, tests to this effect have been held in Beijing and scientists are now busy designing vegetable tanks with a capacity of 300 cubic meters. It’s not reported what vegetables are included in the experiment.

Scientists hope that the growing of vegetables will enable cosmonauts to ensure an uninterrupted supply of air, water and food in the course of space travel.

english.ruvr.ru...

It seems as though China has big plans as far as their Space Program goes. I didnt know they were going to Mars. I wonder if China will be the nation to start populating space. That would be awesome. I was reading Arthur C Clarkes 2001 Space Odyssey recently and I thought it was cool how some scientists at the start are forming a satellite population and have children that have never been to earth and dont actually want to go to earth.

I find it strange that so little has been done since the whole moon landing. I think it is good that China seems to be going full steam ahead in relation to space exporation. It would be cool if some day earth had a neighbour betwenn here and Mars or something that was populated by space humans.

Americans want their government to build a Death Star... Maybe China will build a Life Star. Within a few generations we could be sending sporting teams there for interplanetary competition. Interplanetary Robot Wars. That would be cool.
edit on 25-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Could you imagine if it works well enough to go on a bigger scale?! Can you say "potential to end world hunger"...and much much more.
S&F

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

Interplanetary Robot Wars! I like how you think.

Just one thing I want to add: Please not GMO....
edit on 12/25/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

I love your optimism and can do spirit. It took a bit of soul searching to decide in myself, but in the end, I agree with the idea that it's just as well the Chinese as Americans for pushing outward. Personally, I view nationality outside of pure logistics as losing pretty much all meaning once off-world and in space. Nothing and No One (if we meet any) will care one pile of dust for what "nation" we're from. What the heck's a nation?! They'll only care what planet we started on.

Perhaps in learning to live out there without killing each other for the sheer sake of doing it again in new ways, we can learn to live better in peace here. It's funny how all the rah rah war thinking kinda deflates when war is no longer theoretical in happening.

Go China! If we have to be second or third...well, we need to work on that.
It's MAN, not a Chinese man getting there though, eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Whoops.

I appreciate the heads up, and the fact that you were not a jerk about it.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner

China is getting ready to grow four kinds of vegetables on Mars and on the Moon as part of its plans to create life maintenance conditions for cosmonauts.

According to the Beijing-based Center for Research and Cosmonaut Training, tests to this effect have been held in Beijing and scientists are now busy designing vegetable tanks with a capacity of 300 cubic meters. It’s not reported what vegetables are included in the experiment.

Scientists hope that the growing of vegetables will enable cosmonauts to ensure an uninterrupted supply of air, water and food in the course of space travel.

english.ruvr.ru...

It seems as though China has big plans as far as their Space Program goes. I didnt know they were going to Mars. I wonder if China will be the nation to start populating space. That would be awesome. I was reading Arthur C Clarkes 2001 Space Odyssey recently and I thought it was cool how some scientists at the start are forming a own satellite and have children that have never been to earth and dont actually want to go to earth.

I find it strange that so little has been done since the whole moon landing. I think it is good that China seems to be going full steam ahead in relation to space exporation. It would be cool if some day earth had a neighbour betwenn here and Mars or something that was populated by space humans.

Americans want their government to build a Death Star... Maybe China will build a Life Star. Within a few generations we could be sending sporting teams there for interplanetary competition. Interplanetary Robot Wars. That would be cool.

what does china growing food on mars have to do with america wanting to build a deathstar?

just another chance to troll for america bashig stars

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by spangledbanner

english.ruvr.ru...

It seems as though China has big plans as far as their Space Program goes. I didnt know they were going to Mars. I wonder if China will be the nation to start populating space. That would be awesome. I was reading Arthur C Clarkes 2001 Space Odyssey recently and I thought it was cool how some scientists at the start are forming a own satellite and have children that have never been to earth and dont actually want to go to earth.

what does china growing food on mars have to do with america wanting to build a deathstar?

just another chance to troll for america bashig stars

Ha! That was pretty subtle. And only jest. I was just thinking about a place for a break away human comunity to live, which made me think Death Star and then America, but I was thinking how America could not afford to build something like that in the near future. Maybe China will. Prob not in near future, but this stuff could lead to an established space city.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Anyway, sorry mods.

Please delete/close.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Why should this be closed? please explain why this topic should be closed cos id really like to know??

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
Could you imagine if it works well enough to go on a bigger scale?! Can you say "potential to end world hunger"...and much much more.
S&F

We can end world hunger now. To think we need the moon or mars only proves that we are destined to fail as a society if we can't even harness the earth first.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129
Why should this be closed? please explain why this topic should be closed cos id really like to know??

Some people dont like when threads are opened on topics already dicussed on ATS. I missed this in the search. There two threads above that have already been started.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Those earlier threads are three weeks old.
One is closed.

ATS considers dups to be more like two weeks old or less.

Back to the topic

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Having read the article and giving it a bit of thought the following can be stated:

Any people that are serious about space exploration and long term exploration, would have to consider this one point. Why should it be surprising that the Chinese are taking up the task of figuring out how to grow food, and using such on places like the moon and Mars? What it shows is a long term goal, realistic being, that if one is going to be a spacefaring, then these are the kinds of things that would be required. To be able to grow food would ultimately go along way, allowing for further distance travel, and assist in getting away from the planet. It is hoped that if they do and are sucessful, they will share this knowledge with the rest of the world to provide for more exploration and spreding out among the stars.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Would there be any issues/advantages with growing something that evolved under the Earth's gravity and magnetic fields, on say Mars?
I also wonder what will come first, nanobots that allow humans to travel in space without a problem (what is that called?? when bones and muscle gets weak) or food from Mars.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Martian soil good enough for asparagus!

Asparagus are good for alkaline soil like Mars...

Nasa: Martian Asparagus
edit on 26-12-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thats what some humans do, they destroy their own habitat beyond repair them seek out to screw up everything else. They could be doing anything on those planets, no one would ever know. How about grow some food HERE and feed the starving people and fix what we have broken here on earth,,,,WTF
edit on 26-12-2012 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

top topics

join