It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DISCUSSION: The Ridiculous Stereotypes Leveled at Guns and Gun Owners & Where They Come From...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

All of these say much of what I have to say. I apologize if you are unable to view YouTubes but for those of you who can, these videos will be an eye opener.

edit on 24-12-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
OK...So far we have had:
"ignorant"
"neanderthals"
"outdated"
"Cowboys"
"delusional"
"Rambos"
"Batman"
"Hobo with a Shotgun"
"disturbed"
"psychos"
"antiquated"
"closed minded"
"children"
"unevolved"
"cavemen"
"baby killers"
"gun nuts"
"terrorists"
"extremists"
"traitors"
"stalkers"
"dangers to the community"
"morons"
"maniacs"
"#ed up people"
"stupid"
"BS artist"
"mental"
"barbarians"
"backwards"
"Daniel Boones"
"crazies"
"hypocrites"
"not all there"
"idiotic"
"pig-headed fools"
"NRA nut"

These are what we have so far....What else???

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
OK...So far we have had:
"ignorant"
"neanderthals"
"outdated"
"Cowboys"
"delusional"
"Rambos"
"Batman"
"Hobo with a Shotgun"
"disturbed"
"psychos"
"antiquated"
"closed minded"
"children"
"unevolved"
"cavemen"
"baby killers"
"gun nuts"
"terrorists"
"extremists"
"traitors"
"stalkers"
"dangers to the community"
"morons"
"maniacs"
"#ed up people"
"stupid"
"BS artist"
"mental"
"barbarians"
"backwards"
"Daniel Boones"
"crazies"
"hypocrites"
"not all there"
"idiotic"
"pig-headed fools"
"NRA nut"

These are what we have so far....What else???

I'm the father of 4 very well adjusted children and grandfather of 2 perfect grandchildren; a former Marine Corp Officer, Engineer, Stanford MBA, highly successful real estate developer, horseman, yachtsman and I could not be more on the other side of where you stand and what you stand for. Have you served your country? Have you ever even owned a firearm? You spell those slurs very well but, don't kid yourself about who is ignorant and devolved.

Here is another YouTube but I doubt you even watched any of those I already posted because you are (TOS Prevent me from saying). You you even pay a Mortgage, Own a Car, have children...I doubt it.

I have to go get my Santa Disguise on and spend time on people worth it.
edit on 25-12-2012 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Good Op, and some good replies! Unfortunately the Gun Control crowd hasn't had a very good showing here. The calm and logical ones (there are few on ATS it seems) haven't showed up yet, and I wish they would.

I'm getting tired of seeing someone post a calm, logical, and thought provoking statement, only to be replied to by the worst from the other side of the spectrum.

As to stereotypes, I know them all too well. As a child I was stereotyped and made fun of because we were poor. As a teen it was the same story because I didn't have the latest video game, or the nicest car (although most of what I did have I had paid for myself, because my parents, rightly, thought it would teach me responsibility). Then as a young adult in the military, I was stereotyped as stupid or ignorant because of my rural southern background. Now I am being stereotyped as one who supports murder, or as a nut because I support the Second Amendment.

I have hated stereotypes my entire life. I have been told several times by those of different background and upbringing that I don't act anything like they thought someone like me would.

Just today I was told that I am ignorant because I live in rural Oklahoma by someone who's only left their state once and has never left the country. I was in the Navy, I've seen pleasant foreign countries, such as Japan, where the people were friendly, polite, and open minded. And I have seen less pleasant places like Oman, where the people were also friendly and polite, and I enjoyed being there as well. Then I am told by someone who's never left their country, or only been to resorts in other countries, that I am an ignorant redneck that has no idea about the rest of the world.

Sorry to ramble, thanks for the OP.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

I think guns owners need to really come forward with a real plan to stop mass killings in order to avoid having weapons go back to the Daniel Boone days with rifles and muskets.

Gun owners have come forward with a real plan, however politicians and liberals refuse to acknowledge it in any way: There's no such thing as "gun-free zones", only defense-free zones. EVERY SINGLE mass shooting took place in a gun-free zone. Does anyone else see the irony in this? In schools, the only solution is to have a qualified, armed LEO or school employee responsible for defending students against such dangers. If that were the case now, Sandy Hook would never have happened.

Of course all anti gun people flat out refuse see that the mere presense of an armed defender would have prevented virtually every mass shooting that has ever taken place. IMO this is proof that the gun grabbers don't care about saving lives as much as they do about denying us our right to self defense, simply because ignorance feeds their fear of guns.

More on topic, I can honestly say that I've never been called any names with regard to my carrying a gun (other than on ATS), because I only tell my friends.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

You wrote this, after quoting my post...

...and I could not be more on the other side of where you stand and what you stand for.

To begin with, thank you for your service and obvious contributions to our society and way of life. For without men and women like you, we would not be having this discussion.

But, more to the point, I truly don't follow. What do you believe that I stand for? I watched all 4 of the videos that you previously posted. I concur with them all! That would place me as agreeing whole-heartedly, with your position, since you stated,"All of these say much of what I have to say.". So, how is it, that you don't stand where I do, or with mine?

You then asked:

Have you served your country?

No Sir, I have not, in the respect in which you mean. I have never been, nor applied for, the opportunity to be a member of one of America's armed forces. Although, throughout most of my life, I have been a vocal defender of my Country's beliefs, her Constitution, and every one of our citizen's way of life. I have, though, been a certified and licensed Security Officer. I held both a D and a G license, which authorized me to use a gun, in the completion of my duties. I was even on the job, at the very moment when 9-11 was happening. I would consider this a service to my country and her citizens, albeit a far cry from the Military.

You then queried:

Have you ever even owned a firearm?

Yes, Sir. I have owned over 100 weapons that would legally be defined as a firearm. I have been employed as a legal gun dealer. I worked for a FFL as a buyer and sales manager, for several years. I am a current CWP holder, as is my wife. Why would you think that I have not?

You spell those slurs very well but, don't kid yourself about who is ignorant and devolved.

I'm not sure what it is, that I have done with my thread, that you disapprove of. Do you consider my attempt to shed light on our detractors and their ill-conceived notions, as devolved? And, while I may be "ignorant" about a good many things, I feel that I have a pretty firm grasp on what is currently wrong with this country and the world. What is it that you believe that I need further education in?

In retrospect, I believe that you have mistakenly quoted me, for your rebuttal. If that is inaccurate, please avoid the T&C's and U2U me with your beef...

Thank you...

edit on 12/25/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: punctuation...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Well, I concede that I may have utterly misunderstood the direction of your comments that I responded too and will confess that I do not always read all posts from all members anymore than I always listen/written to everything all people.

Here is where my confusion may lay. Were you calling us who defend the 2nd Amendment devolved, uncivilized, Daniel Boone (who my great grandfather fought with at the Alamo) OR were you saying these were terms being thrown out by the anti-Second Amendment crowd? If you are a supporter and defender of our Constitution, then I have made a big mistake and you have my sincere apologies.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AntiNWO

Your mistaken about armed guards at schools would have prevented all the school shootings. Columbine had a armed guard.

online.wsj.com...

How effective an expanded armed-security program might be also isn't certain. Some advocates say assailants may avoid places that they know to be armed. But in the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado, an armed school resource officer exchanged gunfire with one of the teenage gunmen. An after-action report ordered by the Colorado governor said that the exchange forced the two gunmen into the school library, where they then killed 10 students.

And that is not left wing nonsense. That comes from Wall Street Journal owned by News Corp.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Wall Street Journal is an American English-language international daily newspaper with a special emphasis on business and economic news. It is published in New York City by Dow Jones & Company, a division of News Corporation, along with the Asian and European editions of the Journal.

And how about the new push from the gun advocates.

www.blacklistednews.com...

Personally, I second the idea of replacing "gun control" with "gun safety" -- effective immediately, required gun safety and marksmanship classes in every government school. They can be scheduled right after sex ed. If a student is old enough to be instructed in safe sex, s/he is old enough to be trained in the safe handling of firearms. Both disciplines could save their life.

So now they want to train kids in school to shoot? And don't think that is a crack pot idea and it is not what they truly are saying. The NSSF National Shooting Sports Foundation which is located 2 miles from the school shooting is funding shooting coarses in College and universities ever since the Virginia Tech shooting when a push to disarm the schools was pushed. So what now they want small children armed in school. What the gun lobby will come up with next just to make a profit should be a real interesting.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My question comes from where you stand on your fellow legal gun owner discussing what his plans would be if the Second Amendment is repealed.

As all of the overwhelming majority of firearms in the United States simply become illegal to possess, would you as a law abiding citizen merely hand over your weapons, or would you become a criminal?

The question is a matter of ethics, and whether or not you would be willing to follow a law that you are against, because society would demand you must.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

I love that while you were busy getting good and mad and spouting about how rich, successful, and smart you are.. you were misunderstanding the entire post you are quoting.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

I am glad you loved it; consider it the closest thing to a Christmas present from me. Since you are a new member or possibly a member that was banned and re-entered via various means, that when you fail to read all comments before responding and make a mistake, that you too can openly admit it, as I tried to do.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian
We wiped the neanderthals out eventually because of their backwards thinking and antiquated ways. How long do you think your old antiquated ways will last considering all the shootings you have had recently?
Your on the cusp of weapons bans and it will do you all some good.

Sometimes children need to be told, not asked and in this case the gun owners are the children and the government should not ask, it should regulate for the security of it's people. Period then end. Don't like it, too bad. Evolution is here and you can evolve with the world or be left behind in the old one.
edit on 23-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

Evolution is what? Expecting the government to act as dictator "period and end" regarding the rights of fellow citizens? The same government that operates hand-in-hand with the weapons industry... The same government that has slaughtered populations worldwide, that openly refers to children as collateral damage, that has left certain regions entirely uninhabitable... I think entropy is the more appropriate word here.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

I am glad you loved it; consider it the closest thing to a Christmas present from me. Since you are a new member or possibly a member that was banned and re-entered via various means, that when you fail to read all comments before responding and make a mistake, that you too can openly admit it, as I tried to do.

If you control your gun as well as you control your words, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about, eh? Besides, if you make a mistake, you can always apologize like you did here.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think gun owners would get a lot less flack if they were just truthful and admit they love guns because they feel make them feel manly. They just love guns. All this inane crap about keeping them to defend themselves against a tyrannical Government is just pure BS. We already HAVE a tyrannical GVT and no one is doing a damn thing. Keep your guns, have 100 of them, just please stop all that stuff.

Oh, and also stop the "don't blame the tool, blame the operator" it's old and stale. No one says " I was too dumb to set my alarm", we say the alarm didn't go off, No one says " I forgot to get gas for my car", they just say they ran out of gas. People blame tools all the time so think up another line.

As I said, I don't care if you have guns, it IS an amendment so I will be right beside you against any ban, but the tired old rhetoric is what makes people think you're gun "nuts"

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Well, I concede that I may have utterly misunderstood the direction of your comments that I responded too and will confess that I do not always read all posts from all members anymore than I always listen/written to everything all people.

Here is where my confusion may lay. Were you calling us who defend the 2nd Amendment devolved, uncivilized, Daniel Boone (who my great grandfather fought with at the Alamo) OR were you saying these were terms being thrown out by the anti-Second Amendment crowd? If you are a supporter and defender of our Constitution, then I have made a big mistake and you have my sincere apologies.

Apology accepted.
I originally started this thread and stated that I would periodically compile a list of every derogatory word or phrase that had been posted, so that we could limit doubles and quickly refer to them all.
That is all that my post was.
I, personally have been called many of those and they simply are not true. Granted not all gun owners are as upstanding as most, but those of us who are, are simply fed up with all of the nonsense, as you well know.

Thank you for your sincerity. I hope this clears everything up...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mymymy
I think gun owners would get a lot less flack if they were just truthful and admit they love guns because they feel make them feel manly. They just love guns. All this inane crap about keeping them to defend themselves against a tyrannical Government is just pure BS. We already HAVE a tyrannical GVT and no one is doing a damn thing. Keep your guns, have 100 of them, just please stop all that stuff.

As a gun owner, and gun advocate, I must disagree with you.

There are many things which make me feel "manly". Initially, it was puberty, and the ensuing testosterone the flows through my veins. More currently though, the many acts of love and kindness towards my wife and my children. And also, taking the high road at every opportunity, when dealing or conversing with friends and strangers. Even those whose ideologies differ from mine. Aren't these the actions of a man?

But, I have felt some of those things, before I was a gun owner, and subsequently, during times in my life, when I wasn't in the immediate possession of a firearm. SO....your logic fails to ring true....
How do you explain this apparent anomaly?

Then you wrote:

Oh, and also stop the "don't blame the tool, blame the operator" it's old and stale. No one says " I was too dumb to set my alarm", we say the alarm didn't go off, No one says " I forgot to get gas for my car", they just say they ran out of gas. People blame tools all the time so think up another line.

As I said, I don't care if you have guns, it IS an amendment so I will be right beside you against any ban, but the tired old rhetoric is what makes people think you're gun "nuts"

Again, your logic fails you. To make your point, you reference people who, for whatever reason, pass the buck, and refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. How does this, apply to the discussion at hand?

As you can see, none of this is rhetoric, as I have ended each paragraph with a question, that I hope you will consider thoroughly, before offering a reply.

edit on 12/25/2012 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mymymy

People do wrong to others all the time as well, that doesn't make it right. "My alarm didn't go off." and "I ran out of gas." are still excuses to irresponsibility. If your wheel falls off of your car because you didn't tighten the lug nuts and you damage someone's property, it's still your fault. Blaming an object for your mistakes is still just playing the blame game. I think you should re-read your post.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Apology accepted.
I originally started this thread and stated that I would periodically compile a list of every derogatory word or phrase that had been posted, so that we could limit doubles and quickly refer to them all.
That is all that my post was.
I, personally have been called many of those and they simply are not true. Granted not all gun owners are as upstanding as most, but those of us who are, are simply fed up with all of the nonsense, as you well know.

Thank you for your sincerity. I hope this clears everything up...

Just as I thought...So quick to inflame, but when met with a sound rebuttal, they can't use logic and reason to continue the discussion...Such a shame...All I want to do, is DISCUSS the fallacies that have been accepted as fact, and wrongfully used to attack someone based on these lies!!!

Where are the ones that hold the ability to reason, and would like to explain how they allowed themselves to be led down the path of BS, to the point that they accept these mythical ideals as valid?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

But, I have felt some of those things, before I was a gun owner, and subsequently, during times in my life, when I wasn't in the immediate possession of a firearm. SO....your logic fails to ring true.... How do you explain this apparent anomaly?

I never said a gun was the only thing that made someone feel manly, and yes I am generalizing, but I am going off of every gun owner I know, and being in hunting country, that is alot

Again, your logic fails you. To make your point, you reference people who, for whatever reason, pass the buck, and refuse to accept responsibility for their actions. How does this, apply to the discussion at hand?

It applies to the discussion because the OP was asking why anti-gun people, which I am not, say the things they do. It is because gun owners blame every single tool except the gun. Like I said, every American should keep their guns, it's a right that will never go away, I just feel it's time for a different slogan

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

I never said any of those things weren't acts of responsibility. I only said people do blame every single tool for their irresponsibility, except the gun.

A new slogan, that's all I'm saying there should be

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join