It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Spider Builds Fake Spiders

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Stumble across this in the woods and you might take a jump backwards, I know I would.

But don't be fooled, this is not a real spider it's a decoy, built by another spider!

Fabricated from twigs, leaves, debris, and dead insects.

Researchers discovered the insect in (where else?) the Peruvian Amazon, and even though its decoy looks like a medium-sized spider that's about an inch across, the impressive fake was actually made by a tiny, tricky 5-millimeter spider. That spider behind the curtain is probably, the researchers say, a new species of Cyclosa, a genus known to pull similar stunts.

The smaller builder-insect even moves back and forth, giving the impression that the decoy is moving and, in the process, confusing predators into attacking the decoy instead.

So spiders can count too? Eight legs

Is this spider 'self aware'? It makes it's own decoy eggs:

www.popsci.com...
blog.perunature.com...

edit on 19-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
That is effin awesome. Star and Flag!
Sometimes nature is just amazing, and makes you smile.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

that must be what all our signals in space by SETI look like to a more advanced form of life.

What if the spider was making a sign, like HEY, I can draw!

like us sending out prime numbers, and what not.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Wow. That's just so cool.

Just wow.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Its a replicator. (yeah i am a stargate fan)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Is it sad that a spider can draw better then some people I know?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I can't assume that it is being used as a decoy to attract would-be predators. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why would the spider want predators to destroy it's web which is used as both a home for mating and birthing, and of course for catching prey? No, I don't believe we can assume anything beyond the spider reinforcing the strength of it's web, even though the geometry of the web may make such reinforcement appear to look like a spider.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Very cool. But evil...very evil.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

I can't assume that it is being used as a decoy to attract would-be predators. It just doesn't make sense to me. Why would the spider want predators to destroy it's web which is used as both a home for mating and birthing, and of course for catching prey? No, I don't believe we can assume anything beyond the spider reinforcing the strength of it's web, even though the geometry of the web may make such reinforcement appear to look like a spider.

The research appears to be based on the fact that the specie repeats this strategy to trick predators (birds, paper wasps, etc.), into attacking the decoy spider instead of itself.

It knows it must have a web up, it knows it will be preyed upon at some point, so it seems it wants a little insurance to increase his chances of survival.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

Then it's not cool. Sabot round it now.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I wonder if the decoy is poisonous too, built with toxic leafs and insects.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It still makes no sense to me. While it's working on it's web creating the "decoy" it would be in danger from birds, rodents, and other insects anyway. I just think it's the less likely explanation than merely reinforcing the web.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Wow!
That is COOL!
As poster above said, should not the spider be self aware to be able to do this???

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

It still makes no sense to me. While it's working on it's web creating the "decoy" it would be in danger from birds, rodents, and other insects anyway. I just think it's the less likely explanation than merely reinforcing the web.

I see your angle... the spider cannot use camouflage and concealment to survive like many other insects or animals, it is only left to provide a decoy to survive.

Studies have found that some Cyclosa species have a higher survival rate against potential predators like paper wasps because the wasps end up attacking the debris in the web rather than the spider itself. As seen here, Cyclosa can make debris look a bit like a spider, but not nearly as detailed as the spiders found at the Tambopata Research Center which have a complex form that actually looks like a bigger version of themselves, complete with legs and all.

From afar, it appears to be a medium sized spider about an inch across, possibly dead and dried out, hanging in the center of a spider web along the side of the trail. Nothing too out of the ordinary for the Amazon. As you approach, the spider starts to wobble quickly forward and back, letting you know this spider is, in fact, alive.

blog.perunature.com...
www.wired.com...
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

If it only went against the geometry of the web itself, then I could more readily understand a conscious attempt to make a decoy spider. But the geometry of the web is such where any central reinforcement would produce a spider-like look. Oh well, the researchers can't be faulted for bringing up the possibility of another explanation than the most mundane one.

edit on 19-12-2012 by trysts because: I added something

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This is extremely fascinating, thank you so much for posting.

As you approach, the spider starts to wobble quickly forward and back, letting you know this spider is, in fact, alive.

I have seen spiders shake webs when they feel intimidated. I've not known why they do it but they do. Sounds like this little guy has found an extra asset in it's inventory.

edit on 19-12-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I bow to our new imitation decoy spider overlords.

This is the answer to every conspiracy theory that ever was and ever will be.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I bow to our new imitation decoy spider overlords.

I was tempted to say something along the same lines but I thought it would be a bit cheesy.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Meh... i don't care about spiders....

But

That Dog in your Avatar is gorgeous!

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

Quick, grab the ARG and close the Iris!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join