It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secondhand smoke affects most apartment residents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Nearly 29 million Americans who say they don't smoke in their apartments may still be exposed to secondhand smoke that wafts in from elsewhere in the building, federal researchers report today.

Secondhand smoke can cause disease and premature death in non-smokers; it potentially affects about 44 million Americans who live in multi-unit housing each year, including 27.6 million to 28.9 million with smoke-free apartments or condos, according to the study by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Source.

Yet another study that indicates that smoking affects more than just the smoker. I live in an apartment, and from time to time I can smell cigarette smoke from my neighbor next door, so I have no trouble believing this report. Of course, the Big Tobacco Lobby has 20% of the population hooked on their product, and have indoctrinated them to shred the logic here to shreds, as I've seen before in my thread, Parents who smoke should be found unfit to be parents... This thread caused such an uproar here among the ATS Smoking Defense Brigade, that I actually had a Moderator, and ATS Live Regular tell me on ATS Live that smoking around your kids was good for them because it strengthened their immune systems! Just goes to show you that addicts will do anything to justify their addiction, especially if it's legal... I will be forwarding this article to the management of my Apartment Complex...

Now smokers, feel free to rip me to shreds...

Discuss...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

The air you breath outside is 100 times worse than any secondhand smoke from cigarettes.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Right, because the air outside is directly linked to 43,000 deaths each year... Oh wait, that's second hand smoke... Nice try at deflection of the issue, though...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Wrong it is easier to blame second hand smoke, try standing in a tunnel in new york city for 5 minutes.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

Right, because the air outside is directly linked to 43,000 deaths each year... Oh wait, that's second hand smoke... Nice try at deflection of the issue, though...

It's estimated that millions die world wide each year as a direct result of coal-producing power plants. These studies were done some time ago. You're simply uninformed. Maybe check into it.
edit on 14-12-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Plus car fumes, factory pollution etc.
So the figures in the OP's post are wrong because it is all the factors people have stated not just the one.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Find me 10 cases this year from people who died from second hand smoke, not some made up boogey man numbers they got from statistical mathematics.... Show me 100% proof of the deaths of only 10 of these 43,000.... Show the case and the direct correlation, when you do that, I may start to believe you.....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33

Wrong it is easier to blame second hand smoke, try standing in a tunnel in new york city for 5 minutes.

Don't stand in the tunnel then.
That's the issue here, the other apartment dwellers can't exactly move just because there's a selfish smoker amongst them can they?

I smoke by the way.
I try to only harm myself doing it though, not others.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Ok do you drive a car? Do you get on a bus? Do you work in a factory? Do you buy products that emit carbon dioxide?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

The CDC... Now the Boogey-man...

Addicts crack me up!!!

These are the EDUCATED EXPERTS on disease and its causes. I think I'll buy into their numbers before I join you in the Amateur Hour of statistical analysis.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Does this justify ADDING to the problem? And do I not have the absolute right to NOT have the carcinegens found in second hand smoke in the air of my own damn home???

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenAngelWings33
reply to post by Pardon?

Ok do you drive a car? Do you get on a bus? Do you work in a factory? Do you buy products that emit carbon dioxide?

I drive a diesel car.
I don't use busses.
I've never worked in a factory.
I don't consciously buy products that emit CO2. Although I emit it when I exhale (as do all of my plants and my lawn at night). Oh, and the odd bottle of fizzy drink. And I've messed around with dry ice....

I'm guessing you mean carbon monoxide?

There's quite a difference in the concentration of pollutants in the open air than in an apartment or house.
That's why you don't stand in the tunnel....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Addicts crack me up!!!

These are the EDUCATED EXPERTS on disease and its causes. I think I'll buy into their numbers before I join you in the Amateur Hour of statistical analysis.

Where is the proof? At least show me how the all knowing CDC came up with these figures, there must be cases out there with direct correlation right??? Alright lets make it a little easier for you..... Find me 3 cases of people dying from second hand smoke this year......

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Show me they are wrong. They have the educational background to make these kind of statements, you are just jumping to conclusions. If you are going to tell me that the experts in the field are wrong, it is up to YOU to prove it, not me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5

Addicts crack me up!!!

Where is the proof? At least show me how the all knowing CDC came up with these figures, there must be cases out there with direct correlation right??? Alright lets make it a little easier for you..... Find me 3 cases of people dying from second hand smoke this year......

Deny ignorance, right?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Another bull# study... Just opening your window will have more carcinogens in your apartment than the trace amounts of second hand "smoke" from your neighbor.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
seer.cancer.gov...

So all these cancer's happen because of second hand smoke huh?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here's 3 articles that list benefits from smoking

en.wikipedia.org...
voices.yahoo.com...
www.livescience.com...

Here is an article about vehicle polution

www.ucsusa.org...

Here are 4 articles each claiming a product is as bad or worse than smoking cigarettes.
In order they are: Traffic. Sunscreen. Eggs. E-cigarettes

www.royalcityrecord.com...
www.salon.com...
www.prevention.com...
www.abcactionnews.com...

Your source article, makes a lot of assumptions that they do not back in fact, and the CDC purposefully reported data in a way to skew results to fit into their preconceived ideas.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Just a cheeky question..........when you fart is the said fart contained within your premises or does it have the chance to escape into the outside atmosphere............because if it does escape then thank you for adding to the greenhouse gases / global warming / climate change / people like you moaning for no reason !!!

Wolfie

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join