It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw 4 fireballs/meteors/etc in 15 minutes from Hessdalen web cam

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Yes, it's a global event, should be able to see it everywhere, weather and light pollution permitting. Enjoy the show if you can find a bit of dark sky.

Luckily there's no moon so that should boost your chances of seeing some.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Great thread and find OP you have educated me and shown me a new cam to add to the old bookmark list.
Watching meteors live is the best though..but albeit more bothersome.
near dawn the green ones are quite welll green.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Watching a few fireballs myself.
Just came in to warm up a bit.
If you look to the east and if you recognize the Orion constellation,the main focus would be just to the left of Orion.

This is cool also,live monitoring in the UK.

www.merriott-astro.co.uk...

Meteor Detection

When a meteor strikes Earth’s atmosphere it decelerates rapidly. The friction created by the air causes the meteor to burn up at extremely high temperatures creating the white “shooting star” that we are all familiar with. This process also ionises the air along the trail making it possible to reflect radio waves.

Utilising a high powered VHF radar signal sent into the sky, we are able to detect reflected waves from these ionisation trails. Because the meteor is moving, the reflected signal is shifted in frequency from the original, by an amount according to it’s speed. This shift is also heard as an audible ping by the station operator.

Our system translates the reflected wave into three main parameters - Amplitude (strength), Frequency shift (Doppler shift) and decay time. This allows us to determine the relative size of the meteor strike (vertical scale) and the relative approximate speed and deceleration (amount of shift and width of the trace).

You can see the output from our system above in real time (approximately 1 minute delay on the Internet). During a meteor shower this trace will be full of strike traces, but it is also surprising how many meteors are striking Earth’s atmosphere all of the time.

www.meteorscan.com...

I just can't believe how clear my skies are tonight and how bright Jupiter is.
edit on 13-12-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
anyone watching the Hessdalen cam? i have been watching some pretty amazing things

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by minniesoda

I've been seeing some pretty big fireballs from that camera, I don't know if it just an illusion of the camera, or some fair sized chunks are coming in.

It is still cloudy here in the UK, but starting to clear up, and that cam is one hour ahead of me, so I am still hopeful.
edit on 13/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Saw a couple of good ones myself about 20 minutes ago while outside.

Looking towards the SE, one streaked across the constellation of Orion. Left a very good smoke trail. Lasted about 1.25 seconds, quite bright.

Saw a dimmer one about 5 minutes prior to that one looking directly east, much quicker and dimmer.

If I was younger and if it was warmer, I'd stay up for more. But old guys like me need their rest and it's already dwon to 35 degrees here tonight.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I saw 1 go by from the right to the left but there are two orbs also going very slow from right to left. Maybe there planes I don't know. Anyone else see them?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
yes I was watching that also. I am assuming they were planes...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Whoa WTH was that? Was that a helicopter shining a light on buildings? Looked like it cloaked itself.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
What the hell is that big white ball in the sky over the stream!!! That definetely wasnt there when I went to sleep 6hours ago but now when I woke up it is there in the sky just hovering?!?!?!

- Is it a planet/star, seems too big?
- Sun?

edit on 13-12-2012 by RhinestoneCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I believe it it headlights from local traffic

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RhinestoneCowboy

that is Jupiter

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
More interesting is what is that bright light that keeps shining down to the grass? In sporadic increments.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Dang it.Thought I grabbed a screen shot of the cloaked thing and didn't register. Bah.. I was going to paste it here.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniesoda

that is Jupiter

Is Jupiter really that big? I didnt see it earlier but that could be if there was clouds.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Yeah that light thing on the ground. I think it is local cars driving.
edit on 13-12-2012 by RhinestoneCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

It's called the Geminids meteor shower, it peaks today/tonight, I'm about to head out with the camera, expect 30 - 100 per hour, maybe more if there is a burst.

edit on 13/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)
Hi woogleuk,

I have seen about 10 of those meteors so far. At first I thought I was just seeing things, then realized/remembered something about a metoeor shower. Funny thing is, all of a sudden there was a huge influx of airplanes. I am in the path of LAX and Burbank airports, and I have not seen so many planes at once, must have seen close to 2 dozen in 15 minutes. Weird I tell ya. . .

Best,
yesterdaysreality

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What is that black "cloud" on the right corner of the stream? Disk shape black cloud thingy?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
the same star/planet/jupiter? is in the sky at the moment above me. I looked at the placement of the stars in comparison to this earlier and then went outside to look, its placed differently in the sky here and now the three stars in a line cannot be seen in the cam---they went below the horizon. As you can tell I am definitley a layman with the terms

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Correct me if I' wrong, but is the Sun shining over there? Sure doesn't look like traffic beyond that hillside.
Where's that bright light emitting from?
edit on 13-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join