It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Suicide.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
People are jumping the gun here.

It's going to take time for new migrant minority groups to be a part of the fabric without tension. Example: S. Vietnamese. They migrated all over the world after the war, and it took a few decades for them to properly integrate. Here today in my city, they're just as part of it as anyone else.

So don't be alarmed. There will be trouble along the way, but eventually things will fall into line. And when they do, the British culture will still be intact. Things will be ironed out with the next generation

The focus should be on the issues surrounding how to get people to get along. It's not that hard really.

edit on 12-12-2012 by spoogemonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by youwillneverknow

Travel around the world and you will see the ruins of civilisations and empires that have come and gone, civilisations and empires that at the time had seemed indestructible and unremitting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2cb78abfee39.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32658d876efd.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12b7f51cf218.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b31082a328f9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6a54a51d1be.jpg[/atsimg]

Desolation awaits, and history, with all her volumes vast, has but one page.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Conservatives are drawn to hatred like a moth is to an open flame.

Borders are just lines drawn on the ground, the only way we will move forward as a species is if we get rid of these silly arguments about "culture suicide" and "open borders"

Borders didn't exist until we came along, everyone has the right to go wherever they please in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow

Originally posted by milominderbinder

You should be ashamed of your Empire.

Empires are ALWAYS a disgrace to humanity.

I will never be ashamed of our past - quite the contrary...I am immensely proud of it. Where do you come from?

The United States of Imperialism.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow

You should be ashamed of your Empire.

Empires are ALWAYS a disgrace to humanity.

I will never be ashamed of our past - quite the contrary...I am immensely proud of it. Where do you come from?

The United States of Imperialism.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
1. The empire was oppressive and cruel.... We are quite rightly not proud of it... we enslaved hundreds of thousands of innocnet people all in the name of "Spreading our Culture".... it was disgusting behaviour...

2. The UK does not really have a "culture" any more so to speak.... Our culture is the same as the rest of the "westernised" world.... Consumption and proliferation of materialistic goods.... You cannot compare our "culture" with that of a small tribe in the Amazon who would be irevocably damaged if infiltrated by outsiders. The paralell is simply not applicable...

3. Mutli-culturalism is what makes this country great... do you realise that 40% of the nurses in the UK are foreign... this is not because of immigration.. this is because we have a serious short fall.... The situation is simlilar with Doctors....

4. If you don't like it, LEAVE.... we don't want your kind here.... you belong in Africa somewhere enslaving the Zulu's...

5. It is ironic, and slight ignorant of you to champion our empirical past, (at which point we attempted to forcefully impose not only our culture, but also our religion on to many many people that did not want it), but at the same time moan about Islam building mosques in the UK and trying to impose their values on us..... Slightly hypocritical no?

You sir, are what saddens me about this country... your views and ideas belong in the latter part of the 19th century.... we have moved on my friend, as a country and as a world population... we need to view this planet as one whole community... forget about borders and petty squabling... it does us no good whatsoever...

PA
edit on 12-12-2012 by PerfectAnomoly because: (no reason given)

Thanks for being a fellow sane-person.

And yes...it's absolutely HILARIOUS that a BRIT is worried about all the foreigners showing up on their shores with the goofy religious ideas.

Unfortunately, Hardcore Conservatism and Hypocrisy seem to travel hand-in-hand both in the UK and the United States of Petro-Imperialism where I live.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Well, if that's your concern then consider it a test of cultures and may the strongest win. True social Darwinism.

Personally, I wouldn't lose sleep over Moslem culture supplanting Brit or American or French, etc. cultures as the migrations are from Moslem countries to western countries and not visa-versa... and the reasons can't all be economic.

The truth might be that brutal, archaic theocracies are on the wane, while enlightened, progressive, secular republics are waxing... not that one would think that due to self-destructive, reactionist trends loudly evident in the U.S. lately (and the U.K. apparently)... but one can hope.

There's enough room for many cultures on the Earth... and even in a single person. Enjoy the interesting diversity. What if this world were morphing into one single culture, say an American style culture based on materialism, instant, shallow gratification, McDonalds and malls? Oh... wait... darn.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Our Great Country is ruined, politically, economically and culturally. We are the the remnants of a once Great Empire that colonized much of the globe - at its high we were the largest Empire to have ever existed and according to history books, almost a quarter of the Earths land was part of the our Empire. Now look at us? What happened?

What happened to the Roman Empire? The Aztecs? Incans? Egyptians? Every great empire and civilization all eventually fell to dust, and became something new.

Our Country has been ruined...destroyed by ignorant left wing and liberal people almost hell bent on destroying a once Great Country.

I would like to know you think its being destroyed by 'ignorant' left wingers and liberals, and why you think that? The last I heard, both liberals and conservatives have issues with 'the state of our once great nation'.

Now I have to be careful what I say, (oh the irony). The main cause of the cultural problems are the Muslims - they come over to our Country to seek a better standard of living, yet they do not want to integrate in our society but complain they are not being accepted. They build mosques that are becoming a more and more prevalent in major Cities, thankfully a plan to build the largest super mosque in Europe, in London, was recently rejected. They publicly burnt poppies during remembrance Sunday and, if I remember correctly the maximum penalty received....£50 - stark contrast to the uproar in the recent Muslim film created and the Burn a Quran day. A religion/culture that still uses stoning as a form of punishment for crimes so petulant at times does not belong in a Western, modern and civilized Country (I use this word lightly) anywhere in the World. It is barbaric at best. The worst part of our dilema culturally is when anybody, such as myself, try to point out the issues - you are immediately labelled a racist and your politically argument is no longer valid or accepted for this reason.

Once we're quite done bashing the Muslims (again), do you honestly think Muslims are to blame for the whole countries problems?
What about the Jeremy Kyle generation, who sit on their arses all day, smoking and drinking away their benefit money, breeding like rabbits, with more kids than they can afford to look after and expect the state to pick up the bill.
What about the generation born after the second world war ended, who lived such a life of luxury, free from the fear of war, that every thing that our grandparents fought for in the war, is all but an "olden days" memory. A fantasy? The fact that everything they achieved since the war has now been trodden back down into the dirt?
Social unity, solidarity, being on first name terms with your neighbours, looking after each other without wanting or needing some kind of recompense.

Here is one example of the complete madness of our situation - a fostering couple were recently fostering to children who were "ethnic" - the Council found out they were members of UKIP (United Kingdom Independence Party) - a completely legitimate political party and promptly removed the two children from their care ... their reason behind this? - "The childrens ethnic needs were not being met".....are you serious?! The negative publicity this has created for UKIP was un-true - this party is now being labelled a racist political party and this has made them almost unvotable (better word for this?).

As someone who is approved for fostering, I can say that you clearly have no idea what you're on about and that you are using the 'ethnic' card as a massive crutch for this point.
Foster placements are usually made to people within the childs own ethnic background, this is to uphold the values they may have already been taught, but to also help the child to understand their own cultural back ground. Sometimes it's not always possible, but where it is, the child will usually always be placed in a home of their own cultural and religious backgrounds.
The way it has been handled is the same way people use reverse racism, "You only did that because of our political affiliation" "Are you saying that because I'm black/asian/muslim/white/Russian/Japanese"

Whilst I know the vast majority of British nationals will agree that we are losing our cultural identity, I also know that 99% of them are too afraid to speak out about it.

Our cultural identity isn't LOST, it has changed. It's no longer the bulldog, red white and blue. It's the staffy, Burberry, White Lightning, and for whatever reason mostly Muslim hating.

You can look to the borders and other religions as a reason why things are crap here, but all crap comes from within and seeps forth.
It's not the outside thats the problem, its the inside.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
1. The empire was oppressive and cruel.... We are quite rightly not proud of it... we enslaved hundreds of thousands of innocnet people all in the name of "Spreading our Culture".... it was disgusting behaviour...

2. The UK does not really have a "culture" any more so to speak.... Our culture is the same as the rest of the "westernised" world.... Consumption and proliferation of materialistic goods.... You cannot compare our "culture" with that of a small tribe in the Amazon who would be irevocably damaged if infiltrated by outsiders. The paralell is simply not applicable...

3. Mutli-culturalism is what makes this country great... do you realise that 40% of the nurses in the UK are foreign... this is not because of immigration.. this is because we have a serious short fall.... The situation is simlilar with Doctors....

4. If you don't like it, LEAVE.... we don't want your kind here.... you belong in Africa somewhere enslaving the Zulu's...

5. It is ironic, and slight ignorant of you to champion our empirical past, (at which point we attempted to forcefully impose not only our culture, but also our religion on to many many people that did not want it), but at the same time moan about Islam building mosques in the UK and trying to impose their values on us..... Slightly hypocritical no?

You sir, are what saddens me about this country... your views and ideas belong in the latter part of the 19th century.... we have moved on my friend, as a country and as a world population... we need to view this planet as one whole community... forget about borders and petty squabling... it does us no good whatsoever...

PA

Thanks for being a fellow sane-person.

And yes...it's absolutely HILARIOUS that a BRIT is worried about all the foreigners showing up on their shores with the goofy religious ideas.

Unfortunately, Hardcore Conservatism and Hypocrisy seem to travel hand-in-hand both in the UK and the United States of Petro-Imperialism where I live.

As a Brit and another sane person i would also like to thank the two authors of these posts.

All this getting angry about people of different cultures and religions is like looking at the 1% and also the mob mentality. You know, most of these people the OP seems to blame come to Britain because they want a better life, and most do find a better life. They want to keep their culture, and that is not a bad thing, just because their expression of culture might be different to what you call 'Native British' doesn't mean that they are trying to throw out or remove our culture... You know? as it has been said, id happy throw out the British culture of

1) Weekends are for going out and getting pissed out of your brain and having sex with random people
2) Getting drunk and fighting
3) Sitting on your arse and being unemployed the whole time complaining about all these "Foreigners stealing your job" When you have never had a job
4) Thinking that anyone who is not white british is somehow inferior

Our culture has changed, as Blake said, Nothing is lost, everything is changing into something else, but nothing is lost. (not sure if thats actually blake, lol i was quoting from Shpongle)

All these things about how "oh if they are not happy with our christmas celebrations then they can go back home..." is total crap and is perpetuated by people who are trying to cause problems. Do you know that most people who are 'blamed' by people like the OP for ruining christmas for the rest of us, are actually equally offended by the PC moves that are being done in their name?

I am british and I am proud of it, Born and raised in the north, born of parents both 'native to the uk' , I married someone from the middle east... the boarders are NOT at all open, who ever says that is a moron who has never ever ever ever had to apply for an entry visa for any country before. I cannot come to the UK with my wife unless we apply for a VISA and wait for a month. I cannot come to live in the UK with her either, unless I can check off a list of requirements that is about 2 pages long and is completely arbitrary and in some places pretty much impossible to tick off... Oh but you are not educated you might say... well yeah both myself and my wife have PhDs, does that help? No, not one bit.

Anyone who writes about these subjects invariantly know the least in reality.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Travel around the world and you will see the ruins of civilisations and empires that have come and gone, civilisations and empires that at the time had seemed indestructible and unremitting.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2cb78abfee39.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32658d876efd.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12b7f51cf218.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b31082a328f9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6a54a51d1be.jpg[/atsimg]

Desolation awaits, and history, with all her volumes vast, has but one page.

Nice Course of Empire reference.

I think one thing with the assumptions of this thread is that colonialism is a good thing, similar to "progress", and modern "civilization". At its current consumption driven nature, there are not enough resources to support its continuity in the long term...

So the art seems correct, again, regardless of circumstances.

Edit: To be more clear... In my opinion the conquest/discovery attitude from the Westerners has caused much more harm than good in my opinion. Being a nation that is the largest in the world does not make you great.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Philippines because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Oh and to further followup my best pics of culture that we need to get rid of or say for example, need to actually take the example of these 'immigrants' is the following.

- Education is of value and importance.

British culture at the moment is that of, if you are good at sports you are popular, if you are good at intellectual things you are a nerd/geek/square/spod/what ever. You know most of these middle eastern countries which lots of people in the west like to label as 'barbaric' value education very very highly and things are turned on their head... if you are stupid and good at sports you are unpopular, if you are intellectual however you are popular regardless of how good at sports you are.

This hasn't come about because of this 'invasion' that people keep seeming to suggest, it is something that has decayed over time because of a variety of things. Personally if you want someone to point your finger at its the general treatment of science from top to bottom that has caused these things.

Seriously when teenagers know more about what celebrities are up to and more about make-up and hairstyles than they do about general English/Language - Science - Math, then culture is going to decay away and be replaced by something completely superficial like for example... fashion being extremely important... You know? all these things that people moan about and the truth of the matter is, fundamentally society has become lazy fat and slow and more interested in things that don't matter one bit... THAT is the problem in the UK, It has nothing to do with immigration.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Maybe it is just karma- after colonizing other cutures for so long, other cultures are now colonizing you.

Sal

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

To put the country simple, earth has a lot of things other folks might
want...like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes
made. Like more carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere, and room for their way of
life. We've seen this happen before, right in these United States.

Your way of life destroyed the Indian's way of life.

The Indian reservation is extinction.

But I offer this distinction. I'm with the invaders, no use trying to hide
that. And at the same, I disagree with some of the things they are doing.

Oh were not united anymore than you are
Oh we're not united anymore than you are.

Conservative factions is set on nuclear war as a solution to the Indian
personality.

Others disagree
Others disagree

I don't claim that my methods are one hundred percent humane, but I do say,
if we can't think of anything quieter, and tidier than that...

We are all not that much better than new earth aches.

There is no place else to go
The theater is closed

There is no place else to go
The theater is closed

Cut word lines
Cut music lines
Smash the control images
Smash the control machine.
~WSB

There is no place else to go.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2012 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Xenophobia and Bigotry. That's what I see/hear when I hear Brits and Americans bemoaning the loss of the "good old days". Unless you're some kind of royalty or come from a very wealthy family the good old days wouldn't have been any good for you either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join