It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US sending 20 more F-16s to Egypt, despite turmoil in Cairo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

US sending 20 more F-16s to Egypt, despite turmoil in Cairo

LINK

Instability in Egypt, where a newly-elected Islamic government teeters over an angry population, isn't enough to stop the U.S. from sending more than 20 F-16 fighter jets, as part of a $1 billion foreign aid package.

The first four jets are to be delivered to Egypt beginning Jan. 22, a source at the naval air base in Fort Worth, where the planes have been undergoing testing, told FoxNews.com. T
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/11/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/11/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
OK , so we are just fulfilling an order placed 2 years ago. However, in light of recent dramatic developments in Egypt, should we still be sending these fighter jets??

What is this administration thinking? We paved the way for the violence and unrest that is currently unfolding in Egypt. We pushed for Mubarek's ouster and pushed for the current regime that replaced him.

LINK
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/11/2012 by semperfortis because: Fixed LINK

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
OOOF!

“The Obama administration wants to simply throw money at an Egyptian government that the president cannot even clearly state is an ally of the United States,” Rep. Ros-Lehtinen said.

The $213 million order, which is paid for by U.S. taxpayers and is part of Egypt's foreign aid package from America, had to be approved by lawmakers in Washington.While the basic F-16 has been a military workhorse for top air forces for more than 25 years, the cockpit electronics are constantly updated and the models Egypt is getting are the best defense contractor Lockheed Martin makes.

"This is a great day for Lockheed Martin and a testament to the enduring partnership and commitment we have made to the government of Egypt," said John Larson, vice president, Lockheed Martin F-16 programs. "We remain committed to providing our customer with a proven, advanced 4th Generation multirole fighter."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

In case you forgot about Hillary's glowing endorsement

t was a meeting that not long ago would have seemed totally implausible. But Egypt's newly elected president, the Muslim Brotherhood's candidate, has warmly welcomed America's top diplomat to Cairo for talks - and heard her affirmation of Washington's "strong support" for the change that had brought him to power.

For years the Islamist organisation, outlawed in Egypt under the regime of former president Hosni Mubarak, had been demonised by successive American administrations; while the Brotherhood regarded the US with suspicion, as an ally of repressive regimes across the Middle East.

On Saturday, however, President Mohammed Morsi declared to Hilary Clinton, US Secretary of State: "We are very, very keen to meet you and happy you are here," and heard in return her promise of "the strong support of the United States for the Egyptian people and their democratic transition".

www.breitbart.com...
edit on 11-12-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
IDK, the military seems to be the one stabilizing force in Egypt right now. I don't see a problem with completing an order placed a long time ago to them.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I am not sure what I am more angry about, the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood is receiving 20 brand new F-16s, or the fact that they are a gift from the U.S. taxpayer.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
IDK, the military seems to be the one stabilizing force in Egypt right now. I don't see a problem with completing an order placed a long time ago to them.

Did you miss that part about it being paid for by the U.S. taxpayer? (serious question)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
I am not sure what I am more angry about, the fact that the Muslim Brotherhood is receiving 20 brand new F-16s, or the fact that they are a gift from the U.S. taxpayer.

The Muslim Brotherhood is not receiving the fighters, the military is. Those two aren't exactly best buddies right now.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Did you miss that part about it being paid for by the U.S. taxpayer? (serious question)

I saw it, and again this is nothing new or even the slightest bit unusual. This is exactly the way US foreign 'aid' usually works. Instead of sending money we send weapons. You didn't know this?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The Muslim Brotherhood is not receiving the fighters, the military is. Those two aren't exactly best buddies right now.

Morsi just granted the military the power to arrest civilians during the current referendum process. It was just back in August when Morsi stripped the military of many of its authorities.

There are far greater forces at play.

The Egyptian military hierarchy is often described as hostile to the Brothers, but that case is frequently overstated. What the Egyptian military wants is the ability to conduct its own affairs without civilian meddling, and to continue to expand a sprawling business empire that ranges from refrigerator factories to water-bottling plants to high-end condominium development. Mubarak provided that platform until he fell. Now, if the Muslim Brotherhood is offering a similar deal, who are Egypt's officers to complain?

There have been plenty of efforts to induce the military to cooperate. While two years ago Brotherhood leaders would talk about the baleful role the military played in Egyptian political life and bitterly complain about US backing for the army, the draft constitution includes protections of the military's long-established perks that seem the result of a remarkable detente between the Muslim Brotherhood and the officers. ...

The second sentence of the preamble to the draft hails the military's support for the January 25 revolution – a remarkable piece of historical revisionism for the beginning of a document that's supposed to undergird the building of a democratic political culture in the country. Article 197 of the draft takes control of the military's budget out of the hands of the legislature, and Article 198 says "civilians shall not stand trial before military courts except for crimes that harm the armed forces." That caveat is big enough to drive a truck through.

Having claimed vast new powers, designed to ram through a constitutional draft by referendum next week, Morsi is now officially promising to use the military to enforce the vote, despite huge protests from an anti–Muslim Brotherhood coalition. Paranoically blaming “foreigners” for the protests, Morsi has deployed the military’s tanks around his office, adding: “It is my duty to defend the homeland.” Morsi and the government-controlled newspaper Al Ahram used precisely the same language as the generals did in pledging to protect Egypt’s “institutions.”

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I saw it, and again this is nothing new or even the slightest bit unusual. This is exactly the way US foreign 'aid' usually works. Instead of sending money we send weapons. You didn't know this?

Yes, I did know this. Just don't like it at all.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Yeah, let's give weapons to the enemy, or possibly soon to be an enemy to use against us.
Haven't we learned anything?
Iraq? Bin Laden?

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

It's from Breibartt ... that's like Fox News on steroids.

F-16's ... meh. The newer F-22's and the joint strike fighter could take those out any day. Let's not forget the "black budget" aircraft that we the public don't even know about.

The Pentagon wouldn't allow this if those 20 F-16's posed any kind of real threat to our own flyboys.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Morsi just granted the military the power to arrest civilians during the current referendum process. It was just back in August when Morsi stripped the military of many of its authorities.

There are far greater forces at play.

No, there aren't greater forces, just the same old BS politics that have been going on there since before I was born. One guy the US likes the next we don't, the next we do. Nothing changes in any substantive way. Morsi sure puts out a good press release about what he is or is not 'allowing' the military to do. Funny thing is you don't see the military coming forward and agreeing with him about that. The military have NEVER been bashful about arresting anyone they want, and have shown that they are willing to jump in any time they feel like it.

Morsi does not control the military yet.
edit on 12/11/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Yeah, let's give weapons to the enemy, or possibly soon to be an enemy to use against us.
Iraq? Bin Laden?

They could easily turn these brand new, equipped with the latest and greatest, F-16's against Israel. Egypt is no longer a friend of Israel.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

It's from Breibartt ... that's like Fox News on steroids.

F-16's ... meh. The newer F-22's and the joint strike fighter could take those out any day. Let's not forget the "black budget" aircraft that we the public don't even know about.

The Pentagon wouldn't allow this if those 20 F-16's posed any kind of real threat to our own flyboys.

Interesting... Who said anything about our F-22's going up against Egypt's F-16's?? Wouldn't put it past them to use them on their own people.

FYI

Aircraft now being produced for Turkey, Pakistan, Morocco and Egypt are the Advanced Block 50/52 F-16C/D configuration. The United Arab Emirates was the launch customer for the block 60 F-16 E/F version, and is the platform basis for the proposed variant called the F-16IN Super Viper for the Indian Air Force’s Medium Multi-role Combat Aircraft competition.

McHenry said the F-16 offers the latest technologies and capabilities available today – including AESA radar, day-night, all-weather, standoff, autonomous, air intercept and precision strike. These aircraft have the latest in avionics, sensors and weapons, plus user-friendly cockpits and systems integration that provide pilots with high situational awareness.

www.f-16.net...

Not to shabby for a country run by a radical Islamic regime eh??

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

What I'm saying is that the sale of these to Egypt poses no domestic threat to the USA. They are still going to need our contractors to upgrade and service them.

The people making these deals are looking long term, and in the future Egypt will cool off and settle down. Having our own birds in Egypt might come in handy down the road.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Iraq? Bin Laden?

They could easily turn these brand new, equipped with the latest and greatest, F-16's against Israel. Egypt is no longer a friend of Israel.

And...?

Israel gets even better stuff from our military industrial complex than Egypt does. They even produce some of their own amazing military gear as well (Iron Dome anyone?)

This is just an alarmist piece of extreme right wing propaganda intentionally published to scare and anger people. It's really not that big of a deal.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I liked the Egyptian military a whole lot better before Morsi went through with a pole axe and just eliminated the people from command positions he didn't care for. I never have heard any explanation for why top military command staff and structure had to be canned like bad tuna.

I'd say the Egyptian Military of the past 30 years has been a major force for Middle Eastern stability. Mubarak has been a major force for Middle East stability. I don't know WHAT we have in the Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi. That's still a situation developing from where I sit.

Perhaps continuing to add to their offensive combat ability while they are in a slow dance of locking horns with Israel isn't a bright idea here? I mean, when combatants are eyeing each other with bad intent....THE LAST THING one normally thinks to do is pour more weapons into the bucket for everyone to think about seeing up close on the lethal end.

edit on 11-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

*What was that Hillary was babbling about with Terror in Mexico?? Kinda looks like Terror in the Middle East to me..and 20 more items to spread it with just got added... Oh the Hypocrisy never stops for some.
edit on 11-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I hate this country so much, we shouldn't give anyone anything ever again.
Not one penny not one grain of rice.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We've probably installed hidden, secret "kill switches" on these jets.

This sale is like giving your newphew that old 1988 Ford F-150 that has 250,000 miles. (After it's had a tune up)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join