It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Uxmal...what is to come.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The beginning and end of all things, the revelation of all secrets, or at least that of where the Maize was hidden...an investigation into the benevolent reptillian-Human hybrid known as Chaac and his sacred City of Uxmal as was his haunt, with furthur consideration given to his seeming importance in Neolithic China...somewhat surprisingly.

A brief look at what is generally known and stated;

The present name seems to derive from Oxmal meaning three times built seems to refer to his antiquity and the times it had to rebuild. In these scenarios there is no proof whatsoever. However, the etymology is disputed, another possibility is Uchmal which means what is to come, the future

Its buildings are typical of the Puuc style, with smooth low walls that open on ornate friezes based on representations of typical Maya huts, which are represented by columns (representing the reeds with which were built the walls of the huts) and trapezoidal shapes (representing the thatched roofs), entwined snakes and, in many cases two-headed snakes, masks of the rain god, Chaac with its big noses that represent the rays of the storms, and feathered serpents with open fangs leaving from the same human beings. Also seen in some cities influences of Nahua origin and the follow of the cult of Quetzalcoatl and Tlaloc that were integrated with the original bases of the Puuc tradition.

en.wikipedia.org...

Particularly the Huastec Maya (Teenek), have a cyclical concept of water. Virile, young lightning deities dominating the skies during the rainy season are transformed into wasted, terrestrial and subterranean old men (Mamlab 'Grandfather') during the dry season; in the ocean, the old men rejuvenate themselves again. This cyclical concept may well have been shared by the Classic Period Maya.

Chaac is usually depicted with a human body showing reptilian or amphibian scales, and with a non-human head evincing fangs and a long, pendulous nose. In the Classic style, a shell serves as his ear ornament. He often carries shield and lightning-axe, the axe being personified by a closely related deity

en.wikipedia.org...

Chaac then personifies a principle which i have often noted amongst groups of illustrious Heavenly beings that they often are considered to have come down upon the highest mountains but somehow end up relegated to the deepest subterranean regions, with their status accordingly depreciating to that of lesser demon, but as seen this is entirely natural, and when dark clouds gather upon the horizon and lightning flashes, then they'll be back...rejuvenated.

The rain deity is a patron of agriculture. A well-known myth in which the Chaacs (or related Rain and Lightning deities) have an important role to play is about the opening of the mountain in which the maize was hidden.

Chaac as a rain God naturally gifted maize to humanity, and in terms of the natural cycle the maize was gathered in and stored until the return of the rains, this can become a metaphor as was the case in many Near Eastern societies with grain, of the ingathering of the blessing of the Gods and a natural relationship based upon substenance, and when society is running on empty in terms of natural goodness then their return is hoped for, when the last grains have been taken from within the mountain of storage.

In mythological terms was a Lord of the horizon and the Mountains associated with such as well as the four cardinal directions.

It is important for the purpose of this thread to recognise Chaac in his more abstract representation known as that of the 'mask' type, as here,

One sees the associated square of the Earth and its four indicated cardinal/diagonal directions.

Having learnt to recognize a singular Chaac, one can the see them were they are layered, as in the four either side of the central doorway here;

The Mayans liked layered Chaacs.

Having developed expertise in Chaac spotting one can then take on the most elaborate representations, here one finds five in a stepped pattern, in conjunction with series of stepped squares, capable of indicating the Earth, and what we see here is probably Chaacs function in the creation of and progression through the five worlds, his cyclic role in each stage.

It is these quasi abstract Chaac representations that i consider as having had a counterpart in Neolithic China, here is an example of Chaacs neolithic Chinese cousin known as Taotie;

Here is what i wrote of these on my greatly unappreciated thread Stargates of China

That the Taotie then represents these horizon/mountain based portals joining Heaven, Earth, and the Underworld and the serpentine passageways that inter-connect i have no doubt, nor of their role in funerary custom, the question that remains is was this tradition based upon an technological artifact that facilitated transition between other dimensions or worlds, to which of course i can provide no definative answer.

The general context here then is an association with the four quarters of the Earth, and perhaps circumnavigation or translation between the four sides, it must also be noted that the circles indicatve of the Taotie motif can also be seen without the greater super-structure of the motif, thus the Taotie could be seen to bind pre-existant phenomena

There are examples of what can be refered to as 'King of Congs', were the form is extended and rectangular, ie of many levels, it was common practise to consider the Heavens and the Underworld to consist of numerous levels, but these remarkable artifacts are veritable elevator shafts...

So as with Chaac, i consodered the Taotie to relate to mountains and portals of the horizon, the four cardinal directions, and associated with the serpents that facilitate transition.

The concern with levels or layers is notable in both traditions, the accumulation of cycles and seasons, indeed of worlds resting on upon another, that in stylistic terms a sense of depth by balance creates a sense of height and accomplishment...the height of the Heavens and the depth of the Underworld in serpentine zig zag harmony.

We perhaps learn then that at any given time 'the world' can be seen as a singularity,

But can also be thought of as a layered accumulation of worlds, those which have been, that which is, and that which is to come...

edit on 11-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Beautiful.

Well done.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Thanks, it was a most beautiful city the Maya created and an intriguing reflection of the way of things.

Looking further at the concern with levels of descent into the Underworld, as reflected in the architecture, one finds the natural association of Chaac with Xibalba

The Mayan word “Xibalba” literally means “the place of fear” and in their mythology it was the lowest of the nine underworlds and the realm of the dead. It was ruled by ten Lords, or demons, of whom One Death and Seven Death were the leaders.

the Maya believed that every cave and cenote gave access to this terrifying underworld. Thousands of entrances to Xibalba lie half-hidden in the dense scrub of the Yucatan peninsula. Since these sites were also sacred to the Rain God, Chac, many of them show evidence of having been used for ceremonial purposes.

www.chapala.com...

edit on 11-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Very well put-together, eye opening in it's complexity, and extremely intriguing with the Chinese/Maya tie-in.

S&F

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

Hi there friend. Im really sorry to mess up your thread with this,
I tried to send a pm but was not able to.
Im not sure if you remember me but you have helped me with identifying some old stuff a while ago.
I got to artifacts in my possession that i once again have failed to identify.
Been around with them to all sorts of places here in Sweden but no one dares to take a guess.
One is a slate lion and the other is a wooden dog or cat, and to me they both seem to be quite old, but i coul be wrong. Feel like taking a shot at identifying them?

Kind regards / Jimmy

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
So we were gifted corn from the gods?

Awesome gift.

Although delicious, we can't even fully digest it!

To be serious, this was an amazing and informative read!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

investigation into the benevolent reptillian-Human hybrid known as Chaac and his sacred City of Uxmal...

Benevolent? Not so to the poor sacrificed humans by people who worshipped these men as gods. Glorifying these serpent "gods" whilst understanding that your occultic leaders await their "return" should give you pause to understand why they don't hesitate to call the vast populations "useless eaters" and etch in stone their desire for a world population of just 500 million. There is nothing glorious about cultures that built stone alters to place their helpless victims upon just to cut the hearts out of living victims. Therefore, their religious beliefs are nothing to glorify and exalt, and to call this man, deluded into thinking he's a "god", benevolent is only symptomatic of the mind numbing indoctrination going on today. This is what Christ Jesus pushed to the brink of extinction, and yet, here is man once again wanting to worship these men again through bloodletting and human sacrifice.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
very interesting.
Thanks for sharing this knowledge with us.
Life is a layercake indeed.
I always thought that all these ancient portals were not to be seen as an actual physical door but as a symbol of Wisdom/ability to travel through the layercake. Probably a ceremonial hotspot for communicating with other realities.
Technology and contemporary life downgrades the acuteness of our senses (audition/smell...) because they are less vitally needed. Perhaps a few hunderd years we were better animals, perhaps a few thousand years we had other more spiritual gifts that have today disapeared for lack of "necessity"...
but I'm drifting...

Very nice to read you.

All the best.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

It's especially intriguing with regards to the Chinese stylistic similaraties in that the motif in China was particular only to the Liangzhu culture 3400-2250 BC, it continued to be employed to a lesser extent throughout greater Chinese culture as a traditional motif, but in my opinion was no longer understood in its original context nor seen of any great importance...then seemingly it resurfaces amongst the Maya with once again enormous religious significance.

reply to post by jisujaaljo

Hi Jimmy, sure no problem, stick them in here or make a thread i'll give them a shot.

reply to post by WhoKnows100

The sending of the rain and the gift of maize were seen as benevolent, perhaps the mistake of the Mayan Priests was to question the extent of his benevolence in times of draught and attempt to prompt him to be a little more generous by offering unneccesary sacrifice, as we know now killing people doesn't make it rain.

The serpent carries no untoward connotations in the case of Chaac, it was seen as representative of the flow of water, how the rains made their way back to the sea, how they created the subterranean Underworlds, and how swimming serpents were associated.

reply to post by Logiciel

Thanks and indeed so. I think what the iconography causes one to consider is the relationship of the present to the former worlds, how we are founded upon them and supported by them, also of course that this is natural transition and one should not be afraid to enter into the next brave new world.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This is one of the most interesting threads, I have read in a long, long time.
Thank you, OP, for this amazing trip trough the most amazing city of the Mayan's.

I've always admired Mayan's, and their knowledge. The truth is, they were talented for everything. From medicine to astronomy. If you ask me, they are one of the smartest civilization that ever walked this earth.

I'm looking forward to read new info's about this.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Mayans seem to have a extent of alien communication, maybe this is where they get the information ?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Wow!! I wish I had time to read all this. I'm about to head to work.

This is right up my alley! I look forward to reading it when I get home later this afternoon.

I really enjoy your threads btw

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
Chaac then personifies a principle which i have often noted amongst groups of illustrious Heavenly beings that they often are considered to have come down upon the highest mountains but somehow end up relegated to the deepest subterranean regions, with their status accordingly depreciating to that of lesser demon, but as seen this is entirely natural, and when dark clouds gather upon the horizon and lightning flashes, then they'll be back...rejuvenated.

I think that you sum up beautifully why rainfall and water was deified by these peoples, and why they built 'mountains'. When you apply your extrapolation onto other cultures, accounting for the specific environmental conditions that each of those cultures existed within, you cannot help but see the common, shared thread between ALL agricultural peoples. And also, how and why some of those cultures collapsed.

They all originate from a single source, spreading exponentially and shared the same technological knowledge, based on a mythological construct but the application varied and was adapted according to the physical environment, resultant climate, and primary food source. Some with more success than others.

Very nicely done

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
One question to ponder is can the iconography of the Chaac 'mask' (and the Chinese Taotie 'mask') , in terms of the circle within the circle, 'the eyes', be related to the two rings of the ball court...?

The example from the ball court at Uxmal not unsurprisingly has dedications to Chaac upon it, generally the ball court was seen as a threshold of the Underworld, were the first games were played against Underworld Deities of Death, but the Underworld was created by the waters of Chaac, and there he maintained an uneasy relationship with Death Deities, as his concern was with life bringing principles.

The Chac Ball ring inscriptions

My investigation of the Chinese Taotie symbol concluded that this represented two circular portals of the horizon, generally these would be seen as in the East and West, with the Sun, as well as the moon, planets and various stars being seen to pass through along the ecliptic plane.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Often much of the problem is the super-imposition of the masculine onto the Great Round of the Mother when each culture, in turn, adopts Sun Worship. The more complex information contained within the original Neolithic cycle is simplified or rather abridged, which not only, eventually precipitates the destruction of actual fertility, leading to a decrease in success of agriculture, as well as a harsher social system, but it also, for interpretative purposes, it fails to delineate much of the intended meaning. Possibly because that information was rendered to be for elites only, and is therefore concealed esoterically, or because, quite simply, they lose the 'key' themselves due to internecine and external conflict.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

wow, beautiful, thank you very much for the pictures and your ideas, I had never seen those pics before and am mesmerized at the level of detail and intricate ornaments of that city, if it looks so beautiful now, one can only wonder how it must have been at the time!
cheers

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just a thought on these Chaac's.... Notice how they are built in threes. There is a top, middle and bottom Chaac if I'm reading this right. They all seem to have a darker squarish hole underneath the, what I guess are eyes..? Could it be that the darker square holes were receptacles for offerings or sacrifices? And the three represented from top to bottom most likely, the Future, the Present, and the Past. And could it be that they all existed simultaneously in the moment, in live time. Beyond that, it's still a mystery to me, just a curiosity.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Can someone please translate this into english for me?

The present name seems to derive from Oxmal meaning three times built seems to refer to his antiquity and the times it had to rebuild. In these scenarios there is no proof whatsoever. However, the etymology is disputed, another possibility is Uchmal which means what is to come, the future

Also for the record, the whole human sacrifice thing was a rather recent development, and many view it as a perversion of the old teachings

edit on 12-12-2012 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Thanks, as you say such crossover similarities will be found amongst Near Eastern agriculture dependent cultures, as well as Neolithic China.

reply to post by athousandlives

This site is by far the best resource for images of several Mayan cities;

academic.reed.edu...

reply to post by Plotus

The three layers in that example rest upon a fourth, a construct of the fourth world. The square with diagonals represents the Earth, there were four lesser Chac rain Gods assigned to the four horizons, with a fifth equating with centre and the connectivity to the Heavens...reinforcing the point that these are abstract cosmological representations of Chaac.

reply to post by Nikola014

Thanks for your kind words (and also too others), i think there is more to be wrote on this and hopefully i prompt such flashes of light in the general gloom...
edit on 12-12-2012 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
The beginning and end of all things, the revelation of all secrets, or at least that of where the Maize was hidden...an investigation into the benevolent reptillian-Human hybrid known as Chaac and his sacred City of Uxmal as was his haunt, with furthur consideration given to his seeming importance in Neolithic China...somewhat surprisingly.

WHERE IS THE CORN HIDDEN?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On topic;

I think that we are going to have some subtle conscious change, not something huge and apocalyptic or immediately life changing.

So many "experts" have put forward their take(s) on the significance of the event, ranging from WW3 or Zombie Apocalypse to Alien Return, from Spiritual destruction and widespread death to Spiritual elevation.

I just can't wait to see what happens ;]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join