It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart rent-a-cop shoots and kills shoplifter.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Sources outside of Youtube:

Off-duty officer kill's suspected Walmart shoplifter

This one has more detail:
Off-duty deputy shoots, kills suspected Walmart shoplifter

Key point of that report is that it is reported that the deputy was still in uniform:

“He was clearly marked in uniform as a Harris County deputy. And identified himself as the suspects were leaving the establishment,” Gilliland said.

Texas Mother Shelley Frey Shot Dead by Walmart Security Guard after Alleged Shoplifting Incident

This report even goes further explaining some notable things about Frey:

As part of a plea deal in a case in which she allegedly shoplifted from another Walmart, she agreed never to enter another one of the company’s stores.

Seems she isn't the victim that you want to portray. While her death isn't the ideal outcome, she has placed herself and by extension, the children in the car into that position.

So if the kids sitting the care waiting for there mom to finish whatever she's doing got bullets in their necks along with their mom, it would still be her fault and not the mean, trigger happy shoot em'up cop who doesn't care to use any friggin discretion for when it's appropiate to bust a cap?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
i wonder if her friends are going to be charged with her murder(in some states like florida for example you commit a felony and some one dies you get charged even if you didnt pull the trigger)

still kinda sucks to get shot over shop lifting guess we will have to wait tell the investigation gets finished

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Actually if someone was trying to run me over with a vehicle I would use a gun to defend myself.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
Actually if someone was trying to run me over with a vehicle I would use a gun to defend myself.

Or... you could just simply not risk your life chasing a SHOPLIFTER.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Following your "logic" imagine what other crimes should not be stopped? His life wasn't in danger until the criminal behind the wheel to make it so. Why do people some people not place blame where blame is due. Those women could have stopped at anytime to include not stealing, not running, and not resisting. And calling him a rent-a-cop when he is in Police uniform is dishonest.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Shoplifting isnt a Capital Crime yet....I guess "fearing for one's life" is an excuse to take another's. Unless she was shooting at him or obviously trying to run him over then he should have just made note of the license plate and called it in.
edit on 9-12-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The police report says he was half inside the car trying to make an arrest when the driver took off, how is he going to take out a pen, notebook and write down the license plate and not fall under the wheels and die?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Shoplifting isn't a capitol crime "fearing for ones life is an "excuse". If someone puts my life in danger um yes I'm going to respond accordingly. If you don't share a natural self preservation instinct then that's your problem.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
reply to post by Cuervo

Following your "logic" imagine what other crimes should not be stopped? His life wasn't in danger until the criminal behind the wheel to make it so. Why do people some people not place blame where blame is due. Those women could have stopped at anytime to include not stealing, not running, and not resisting. And calling him a rent-a-cop when he is in Police uniform is dishonest.

The problem is the mentality that a cop should pursue the suspect of petty misdemeanors until somebody is dead. That's crap. That's something you do if the lady just shot up a bunch of people or had bombs in the car and you were trying to protect the public.

Was he afraid that she might go on wreak havoc on a shoplifting spree? Why even chase them? Just phone in the licence plate like any other sane person would do. I'd hate to jay walk in front somebody that ridiculously unfit for law enforcement.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

. IF he was between the car door and the driver's seat (as opposed to outside the car window as if writing a citation) then when the woman tried to drive off she would have merely left him standing (assuming that she didnt put the car into reverse). MY QUESTION then is how far away was the officer when he drew his side arm, aimed and fired at the car? IF she was peeling out then I am guessing at least 15 yards away (maybe more if he fired multiple shots). Once she cleared his space then he was not in mortal danger of the vehicle. IF he was shooting to stop the criminal from escaping then why not shoot the tires like the mother asked (I know they are trained not to fire warning shots or even shoot to wound....just shoot to kill). I would have less sympathy for the deceased tho if the incident was a home owner trying to stop someone who was escaping after breaking into his home and stealing stuff....but in that case the homeowner would be arrested!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
First off, I think the jokes and sarcasm displayed by some in this thread is disgusting and despicable behavior. Shame on you. I wonder if you'd be laughing if it was your family member who was killed.

Second and I think this is a key point in this case. the woman who was shot and killed was a passenger in the vehicle. She was not the one driving. If the officer feared for his safety he should have shot the driver.

In my opinion, this case is an obvious display of excessive use of force and gross negligence resulting in the loss of life. He never should have drawn his weapon. Let alone discharged his fire arm into a vehicle with children inside.

I would prefer these types of actions by armed security be met with harsh punishment. He should be charged with second degree murder. It's highly unlikely that will happen though. I would hope to see at the very least a charge of manslaughter. However and unfortunately that will probably not be the case. Since this person was also an off duty police officer he will most likely be given the minimal charges.

Shoplifting is a misdemeanor. Most big box stores, like Walmart, have policies and procedures against pursuing suspects outside of the store. They also rarely use armed guards. This officer clearly overstepped his authority as a security guard and seemed to have switched into vigilante mode. Even if he was an on-duty police officer he was wrong for brandishing his weapon while in pursuit of these suspects.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Good to hear so many are pro shop lifter. Can't wait for it to become the rule. It will save me a lot of money.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
If you shoot all the petty criminals,

you leave more room in prison for murderers, rapists and doobie smokers.

What possible reason is there to think this is a bad thing??

Serially...

edit on 9-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

You mean to say that 'doobie smokers' are on par with rapists and murderers?

You sir, are a moron.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mypan
Gung ho as usual. Shoot to kill.....Excuse me, were that shooter in any apparent danger that he had to discharge his firearm ?

This is what so farking wrong with America today. People just don't use their brain anymore. Everything is so friggin' instinctive.

A 3000lbs car coming at me sounds dangerous... but I guess we have to wait and see what really happened???

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Just another typical anti law enforcement thread for the certain % of ATS members who have received tickets and are venting their frustrations. There are plenty of examples when a cop should be punished for illegal behavior. But the constant Monday quarterbacking is tiresome. As reported she was not shot because she shoplifted she was shot because the driver tried to run the cop over. Also not mentioned was she was arrested last year for shoplifting at......Walmart and part of her sentence from the court was to NEVER enter a Walmart store again.

Look she stole, fought with store employees, ran away, resisted LEGAL arrest by a sworn office. During all of that she disregarded her previous punishment she agreed to in court, she put herself above the law, showed no regard for herself or anyone around her to include children in the car when she was being arrested. At anytime she had multiple chances to do the right and safe thing for everyone yet she chose not to. By the way her friends/co criminals decided not to drive straight to a ER for her injuries they drove to their apt. complex and left her in the car to bleed to death and someone else called an ambulance but it was too late.

How about some ATS members start placing some of the blame where it is due. Or is it easier to just bash a cop?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Good to hear so many are pro shop lifter. Can't wait for it to become the rule. It will save me a lot of money.

No one in this thread has stated they are "pro shoplifter". It is all about anti-abuse of power and anti-loss of life. The punishment should fit the crime. This officer used extremely poor judgement. I'm not buying into his excuse of "fearing for his life" for one second. He made the decision that these shoplifters were not getting away NO MATTER WHAT.

Police are supposed to be trained better than that. There were many other options at his disposal to catch these suspects. And let me emphasize that point. These were SUSPECTS. They haven't been found guilty of a crime. He should have taken the license plate number and called it in for an ON-DUTY officer to pursue. The store has security cameras and they could have identified the suspects using those tapes.

This officer was pissed off that they were able to run from the store and was going to be embarrassed if they got away. This appears to be a case of his ego and emotions getting the better of him and he decided to shoot first and make up his excuses later.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by boncho

Tone down the hyperbole. I didn't commend the actions of the off-duty officer, but I am not going to give an inch to a woman who has shown in the past that she was incapable of respecting the law or even the children in her car. Tragic for both sides really.

Who had no respect for the children in the car? The woman albeit trying to flee her crime, or the person shooting bullets into the car. The crime was petty. The reaction to it, not so much.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak

Originally posted by mypan
Gung ho as usual. Shoot to kill.....Excuse me, were that shooter in any apparent danger that he had to discharge his firearm ?

This is what so farking wrong with America today. People just don't use their brain anymore. Everything is so friggin' instinctive.

A 3000lbs car coming at me sounds dangerous... but I guess we have to wait and see what really happened???

Why did you step in front of it? You are an officer with a team of people to back you up, with radios and databases with license plate numbers, etc. You really had to jump in front of the car, when you were outnumbered?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join