It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart rent-a-cop shoots and kills shoplifter.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

It looks like an off duty cop was working security at your local mass merchandise distribution center aka Walmart.

Someone forgot to tell him that as a rent-a-cop, you cant shoot and kill people. Only cops can get away with that.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Well thank god another murdering savage who was raping the local townsfolk is dead... Oh wait, shoplifter you said?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If you shoot all the petty criminals,

you leave more room in prison for murderers, rapists and doobie smokers.

What possible reason is there to think this is a bad thing??

Serially...

edit on 9-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Shoot first, ask questions later.
Thats the American way isn't it?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I'm going to read the real story behind this. I don't want some edited down youtube video telling me only one sides story.

Always get your information from more then one source.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Here's the real story...

Campbell chased the women to the parking lot, where they tried driving off. At one point, he said he was between the car door and the driver’s seat and feared for his safety.

Article

Sound like he severely overstepped his boundaries based on the crime and then bailed himself out of a sticky situation with his gun.... sad.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Why in the hell would anybody working in a Walmart be carrying a freakin' gun?! This is way out of hand.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Gung ho as usual. Shoot to kill.....Excuse me, were that shooter in any apparent danger that he had to discharge his firearm ?

This is what so farking wrong with America today. People just don't use their brain anymore. Everything is so friggin' instinctive.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chargeit

I'm going to read the real story behind this. I don't want some edited down youtube video telling me only one sides story.

Always get your information from more then one source.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

According to this article they say he was acting on behalf of the deputy's office, but was hired as a rent-a-cop:

Gilliland said it was clear that the deputy was law enforcement.
'He was clearly marked in uniform as a Harris County deputy. And identified himself as the suspects were leaving the establishment,' said Gilliland to KHOU.Com

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z2Ec32RTDj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wouldn't say the woman was a model citizen (history of shoplifting) but I would say she didn't deserve a bullet. If he was an eyewitness and got a good look at them, I don't know why he couldn't have simply radioed his fellows at the police station and given a description of the car with license plate numbers.

Andrews began to drive away while the deputy was standing between the open door and the driver's seat.
'She threw it in reverse and tried to run over the deputy,' said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Deputy Thomas Gilliland.
'He confronted the suspects at exit of the store before they left. One female wouldn't stop, struck the deputy with her purse, ran off.'
'I think it knocked him off balance and, in fear of his life and being ran over, he discharged his weapon at that point.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... z2Ec3DF0Lj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by Chargeit

Here's the real story...

Campbell chased the women to the parking lot, where they tried driving off. At one point, he said he was between the car door and the driver’s seat and feared for his safety.

Article

Sound like he severely overstepped his boundaries based on the crime and then bailed himself out of a sticky situation with his gun.... sad.

There are two women in a car and you are trying to stop it. You are your reason for being in danger. He should have shot himself for putting his life in danger.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Make a mental note
Never screw up and walk out of Walmart without paying for everything.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Sources outside of Youtube:

Off-duty officer kill's suspected Walmart shoplifter

This one has more detail:
Off-duty deputy shoots, kills suspected Walmart shoplifter

Key point of that report is that it is reported that the deputy was still in uniform:

“He was clearly marked in uniform as a Harris County deputy. And identified himself as the suspects were leaving the establishment,” Gilliland said.

Texas Mother Shelley Frey Shot Dead by Walmart Security Guard after Alleged Shoplifting Incident

This report even goes further explaining some notable things about Frey:

As part of a plea deal in a case in which she allegedly shoplifted from another Walmart, she agreed never to enter another one of the company’s stores.

Seems she isn't the victim that you want to portray. While her death isn't the ideal outcome, she has placed herself and by extension, the children in the car into that position.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Seems she isn't the victim that you want to portray. While her death isn't the ideal outcome, she has placed herself and by extension, the children in the car into that position.

Yes that would be the case, if executing shoplifters was the norm. However, last time I checked, it isn't.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Tone down the hyperbole. I didn't commend the actions of the off-duty officer, but I am not going to give an inch to a woman who has shown in the past that she was incapable of respecting the law or even the children in her car. Tragic for both sides really.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Talk about paying the ultimate penalty for stealing a "Made in China" $10 consumer product... someone took their job of "law enforcement" a little too seriously.

Meanwhile, there's a rapist down the street attacking and violently assaulting an innocent victim in a dark alley somewhere...

Yup, putting all effort forth to nab a shoplifter and "risking one's life" to do so is a far more important use of resources, time, and money.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Just to think about it lets see if anyone shop lifts at that wal-mart again knowing a trigger happy cop is waiting to put one through your neck. Good for crime control some people die some dont let the dead one teach the lesson that anything could happen. And to stop stealing # cause i would have shot them if they were stealing from my house

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That has nothing to do with this. Do you think the officer would have acted differently if she was allowed to shop at Walmart?

Now, I do think that if a uniformed police officer is between your car door and you in the drivers seat, telling you to stop, and you decide rather to peel out and potentially run him over, then you are at that point putting yourself at risk of getting shot. At that point, it wasn't about the shoplifting.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I wouldn't say the woman was a model citizen (history of shoplifting) but I would say she didn't deserve a bullet. If he was an eyewitness and got a good look at them, I don't know why he couldn't have simply radioed his fellows at the police station and given a description of the car with license plate numbers.

Exactly. You nailed that one Boncho. We already have too many "Judge Dredd's" out there as it is. Where is the common sense factor in police training these days?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Evidently she wasn't what you would call an upstanding citizen, but using deadly force on a shoplifter is entirely out of line.

Tasing, pepper-spraying, or even a good old-fashioned manhandling, sure. But there's no excuse for putting yourself in a position where loosing rounds into a car with women and children is required to protect your own safety. Just my take on it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop

Now, I do think that if a uniformed police officer is between your car door and you in the drivers seat, telling you to stop, and you decide rather to peel out and potentially run him over, then you are at that point putting yourself at risk of getting shot. At that point, it wasn't about the shoplifting.

That is why I say it was tragic all around. A series of missteps leading to this. As the reports go, she ran when he identified himself as a deputy. He made the bad decision to pursue the shoplifter in the manner putting himself in danger. She continued it when she decided to drive off.....just stupidity all around.
edit on 9-12-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join