It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We cannot exist without a Past or Future Self

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We cannot exist without a Past or Future Self. The fundamental laws of existance are:

- The future and past do not exist. The only thing which exists is whats happening now.
- All our experiences are processed by our conceptual thoughts.
- Everything we know about reality is made up in our heads.
- Without the illusion of a past or future we cannot exist because they define us for what we are, or what will be .

Is this the Truth or Not?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
George Carlin has some interesting input on this subject

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

- The future and past do not exist. The only thing which exists is whats happening now.

The fact that I'm viewing this thread is evidence that this statement is false. The fact that I know what points I'm going to make and am watching them appear on this screen also makes that statement false. Anticipation is a trace of the future, and records of any kind are a trace of the past. True, now is a state of perpetuation, but that does not mean the past and future do not exist. They are as existent as we choose to make them, as with all things.

I could invent a cartoon character right now named Schnikelschwartz and make a drawing and everything. He's never existed before, but should I go to such lengths, he will exist, if only to a very limited degree.

True.

Everything we know about reality is TRANSLATED in our heads. Our understanding is limited by such translations, but that doesn't mean we can't "upgrade".

- Without the illusion of a past or future we cannot exist because they define us for what we are, or what will be .

Would you want to forget everything you've done and seen? Would you want to forget everything you have ever wanted to experience, and hope to eventually experience before your time on this earth is over?

If all we are is the 'now', then we are simply a species of compulsions. We will neither learn from our mistakes nor feel hope, for these are things of past and future. Is that the existence you speculate at?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

We cannot exist without a Past or Future Self. The fundamental laws of existance are:
- Without the illusion of a past or future we cannot exist because they define us for what we are, or what will be . Is this the Truth or Not?

No existence means being or the ability/potential "to be". The fundamental laws are diverse, but can best be summed up as, "The ability to have potential, in the process, of being through the action of being. But still being independently of existence.

-The past does exist; although the actions that could have happened at the time are no longer able to occur. The Present is the moment in which we are able to have potential action to do as we please. The future is only actionable without potential (yet).

-No, experience is not just based off of conceptual thoughts. This brings existence into a fallacious way of interpretation. For instance, if I were to ask you, "Are you a concept?" And you respond to that question as yes. Then this discussion is over, because there is nothing true nor is there anything real, but most importantly, there is no existence.

-No. Reality exists independently of our conscious being. For instance, imagine the natural world before there was ever life. The existence of continued process before conscious thought is the greatest enemy to "we create our own reality". We can only change our perception or feelings to how it really is.

-No our memories and thoughts do not define us; they can represent us, but can never define us. The question in the world is, "Who Am I?" But to consider oneself a concept is fundamentally wrong. Existence is independent of our memories and thoughts. Imagine an Alzheimer's patient, are we to say that they no longer exist, because they cannot remember nor think of anything anymore? Imagine the schizophrenic who is constantly haunted by thoughts that are not their own. Does this define the person? No, it simply does not.

Great questions my friend. Hope I was able to provide some useful and thought provoking insight.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

I agree. We only have the event that takes place at this particular moment at this particular place. Everything else is just a memory or a part of a dream or imaginative play to come.

But, in my mind it can not exclude the possibility that there might be a past 'I' living in its' now-moment experiencing and feeling the same way I do about this

Only the world that we experience exists. Nothing else has to exist.

Here I disagree strongly. If the present is all we have, we do not need the past nor the future. There are benefits from those 'illusions/experiences/memories', but we won't stop existing without them.

Intriguing questions that ought to be pondered.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I would have to disagree. I could articulate my point, but it would be much better received if you read "Bearing Witness to Epiphany", by John Russon. Specifically, the first 2-3 chapters, which speaks about the poly-temporal musicality of our lives, and what he calls the "bodily-apriori".

It's a good read, and it will likely provide some insight for you

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

What is seen is the creation. Like all creations, it is a fabrication– a sort of lie. The seer, (the interpreter, the one with will and desire) that is the creator. What the creator is cannot be known. What can be know is what comes from the creator. There is only one creator/seer.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

itsnowagain.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

You contradicted yourself.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SimKey

You contradicted yourself.

Is contradiction wrong?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
"You" are a constant - that means you are the "=" in a mathematical equation.
edit on 16-12-2012 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

What you have listed I would say is only partially true, but misses some very key points in the philosophical realm that leads to the points (together) mostly being false.

edit on Dec 16th 2012 by TheMythLives because: Spelling!

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

No need for taking what you have said the hard way.

my addition: everything passed is past when the experience (how long it may be) is processed by our conceptual thought. Did you make a mistake? No worries.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Angle because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2012 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It is a mind thing and we are not in control of our minds untill we are again and then untill we aren't anymore again, and so forth. LOA!!

top topics

join